Help with holiday/honeymoon destination

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Right, so we have to put together a list of holiday/honeymoon destinations and i've gone completely blank! To be honest I feel a little spoilt for choice... I need help and inspiration! :oops:

What would be your ideal European destination and why?

What would be your ideal rest of the world destination and why?

Either that or just recommend somewhere you've been! :D

(we don't like sitting by pools and beaches all day... we like activity, culture and history! we're also planning on going around December/January)

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    For how long? Are you seeking a warm destination or are you happy with snow and rain? Though you may not know where you want to go, are you happy with any type of environment, ie mountains, country, sea? Are you looking at an 'active' honeymoon (ie travelling) or more 'relaxed' (ie a fixed abode with day trips...)?

Too many variants!!! Need to be a bit more precise!
  • redrock wrote:
    For how long? Are you seeking a warm destination or are you happy with snow and rain? Though you may not know where you want to go, are you happy with any type of environment, ie mountains, country, sea? Are you looking at an 'active' honeymoon (ie travelling) or more 'relaxed' (ie a fixed abode with day trips...)?

Too many variants!!! Need to be a bit more precise!

Warm is good but not TOO warm (Dubai is too hot). Snow and drizzle are also good. We like mountains country and sea.... I'd like to do two/three destinations over two weeks. I like relaxed but also activity...

I know, i'm a pain in the arse ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Warm is good but not TOO warm (Dubai is too hot). Snow and drizzle are also good. We like mountains country and sea.... I'd like to do two/three destinations over two weeks. I like relaxed but also activity...

I know, i'm a pain in the arse ;)

It's OK... you've narrowed it down somewhat. So.. no 2 week trek through the atlas mountains, no going down the Amazon in a hollowed out tree trunk, probably no Marbella...

Oh... other questions.... OK with vaccines or not? Self catering or hotel?
  • I've always fancied a trip to India to be honest. A very rich religious / philisophical heritage and culture.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    It's a bit of a cliche, but Hawaii is good. My wife and I were there a couple of years ago for a late honeymoon/visiting family trip and had a great time. We did a bit of camping, some hanging out on the beach, sight seeing and a bunch more.

As foe Europe, Prague is beautiful, but may be a bit cold in December. Or you could always go visit Dimi in Greece :D
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Europe: I've always wanted to visit Italy. I'd love to take 2 or 3 weeks and travel through the whole country to try and see it all. You've got your history, architecture, art, etc. And you can't, or at least I can't, overlook the food :D

Elsewhere: I'd like to visit Australia and New Zealand. People I know that have taken vacations there come back raving about how much fun they had. Don't know exactly where I'd go or what I'd see, but with the way they talk about that trip, it makes me want to go.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Difficult! Oz or New Zealand would be great but 2 weeks isn't enough time. Europe in December/January could be miserable weather but you won't spend too much time travelling. Might be worth thinking Italy as you have mountains, sea and more history/culture than you can shake a stick at. Rome is stunning and Florence is worth visiting.

You could consider Spain. Fly into Barcelona for a couple of days and train it to Andalucia. We went last year and visited Seville, Cordoba and Granada. The Alhambra Palace in Granada was worth the trip alone. Plus you have the mountains around you and are not far from the coast. I can't recommend Andalucia enough.

We went on honeymoon in February 4 years ago and did 4 nights in Hong Kong, 4 nights in Singapore and a week in Langkawi. We had a fantastic time. Langkawi was a crash out and relax by the pool and beach week which we needed after the HK/Singapore leg. We did a boat trip through the mangroves and could have done a few more but chose not to.
  • Ohhh thanks everyone! :D

Italy is high on the list for both of us but we wouldn't know where to start, I want to see so much there :?

Barcelona would be nice but not for more than 5 day/4 nights.

New Zealand is nice but I don't really understand what there is to see ther apart from scenery... Scenery is nice but I have to be stimulated too :oops:

Ain't no way in a million years i'm going to Australia. To many creepy crawly things! :?

Hawaii would be cool but most people say they just chill our there and spend loads of time at the beach... that's ok but my other half is pastey and he's not a fan of beaches (I'm ok with them but couldn't spend more than 2 days out of 14 with sand betwix me toes!)

India never even crossed my mind... That would be immense! :shock: :D It's hot though isn't it? What's it liek in January? :think:

China has been suggested but that's more my preference.

Rita - vaccines are fine but we're not fans of creepy crawlies so the Amazon is out! :lol: Hotel would be preferred but we wouldn't rule out self-catering.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,029
    Ohhh thanks everyone! :D

Italy is high on the list for both of us but we wouldn't know where to start, I want to see so much there :?

New Zealand is nice but I don't really understand what there is to see ther apart from scenery... Scenery is nice but I have to be stimulated too :oops:

Ain't no way in a million years i'm going to Australia. To many creepy crawly things! :?

Hawaii would be cool but most people say they just chill our there and spend loads of time at the beach... that's ok but my other half is pastey and he's not a fan of beaches (I'm ok with them but couldn't spend more than 2 days out of 14 with sand betwix me toes!)

India never even crossed my mind... That would be immense! :shock: :D It's hot though isn't it? What's it liek in January? :think:

Rita - vaccines are fine but we're not fans of creepy crawlies so the Amazon is out! :lol: Hotel would be preferred but we wouldn't rule out self-catering.
    Sian? isn't that Dave's job? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    edited August 2010
    Scandinavia is up there for me, but that is because I want to see the Northern Lights...
    Croatia/Montenegro look stunning/interesting as well
    St Petersberg looks amazing but it would be v cold then....

Further afield, Nepal, Mexico, Vietnam, Peru, India

(specific things in places I want to see but probably not honeymoonish- Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Petra in Jordan, Iguazu Falls in Brazil/Argentina and Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia)
    Post edited by dottles on
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

I just found the kind of thing I want!!!

It's a cruise:

Day 1 - Leave Southampton, UK
    Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 4 - Warnemunde, Germany
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 6 - Helsinki, Finland
    Day 7 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 8 - St Petersburg, Russia
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 10 - Stockholm, Sweden
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 12 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 13 - Copenhagen, Denmark
    Day 14 - at sea
    Day 15 - Back to Southampton

Now THAT is my kinda holiday!! :mrgreen:

• mickeyrat wrote:

what's that Mickey? :)

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I haven't been to Hawaii yet but it is my dream, hopefully to see PJ :D
    but it has a lot more than just beaches to offer. This is a link to something that is on my list
    http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/
    Hawaii may be better left to an anniversary trip though and enjoying the romance offered in Italy or France or perhaps a cruise of the Mediterranean might be better suited for a honeymoon.
    Congratulations and Enjoy!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,029
    mickeyrat wrote:

what's that Mickey? :)
    this^^^^ should have directed you to the bolded line. now , you cant miss it!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    My wife and I did Safari in Kenya and Tanzania for our honeymoon. I have never taken a more full and rich vacation in my entire life (although NZ is fantastic but two weeks is not enough time). The timing is perfect. Migration should be going on and that leads to amazing wildlife photographs.

The only issue, lots of shots and VERY expensive... But there are probably many ways to do it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    My wife and I did Safari in Kenya and Tanzania for our honeymoon. I have never taken a more full and rich vacation in my entire life (although NZ is fantastic but two weeks is not enough time). The timing is perfect. Migration should be going on and that leads to amazing wildlife photographs.

The only issue, lots of shots and VERY expensive... But there are probably many ways to do it...

As for a low budget safari, sneak around in the snack isle at your local Walmart. Snap lots of photos, run for your life.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

It's a cruise:

Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 14 - at sea

Cruises are the best! We've done 2 together over the years. The perfect mix of relaxation and sight seeing. Go for it!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    edited August 2010

It's a cruise:

Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 14 - at sea

That sounds fab!
    Post edited by dottles on
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    haha ... i was ready to suggest some nice places but then i saw that OP picked a cruise ... which is the direct opposite of what i thought she wanted ... oh well ... congratulations and enjoy ...

It's a cruise:

Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 14 - at sea

I honestly didn't make you out as a 'cruise girl' :oops:
  • Ah y'see, it's not the actually cruise I care for, it's the destinations! :D ALL of those places are on my list of ideals so it'd be worth it... I'm not one for sitting around doing chuff all though so come to think of it, the evenings on board might drive me potty :think:

My sea legs aren't that good either... Not that I imagine it would be a problem :lol:

Polaris_x what were you going to suggest?

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262

It's a cruise:

Day 2 - Bruges, Belgium
    Day 3 - at sea
    Day 5 - at sea
    Day 9 - Tallinn, Estonia
    Day 11 - at sea
    Day 14 - at sea

Woohoo! :lol:8-) Not so keen on the other places, well maybe Belgium and Germany. :think:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Ah y'see, it's not the actually cruise I care for, it's the destinations! :D ALL of those places are on my list of ideals so it'd be worth it... I'm not one for sitting around doing chuff all though so come to think of it, the evenings on board might drive me potty :think:

My sea legs aren't that good either... Not that I imagine it would be a problem :lol:

i've been on one cruise so don't take my word for it ... also, i didn't pay for it ... in general, cruises are not very active trips mainly because you are on the boat more than you are not ... your day excursions are good that you can walk around but you are limited to time constraints ...

i would have suggested peru, belize or costa rica which has a nice blend of everything you mentioned before ... fairly warm and there is mayan and inca culture, plus temples and ruins, plus beach, plus mountains, etc ...

More than 3 nights is too much for Barcelona but you could mix it up with visits elsewhere.

NZ keep it for another time. Greatest country I've visited and as for things to do, that made me laugh. Helicopters over the glaciers, jet boats through narrow gorges, swimming with wild dolphins (not in a pen). NZ is a mass of activity, most of it adrenalin pushing.

India. My wife went and said it was awesome but every one of her party ended up with the delhi belly during the 2 weeks.

China. Don't think 2 weeks is enough. From what I've heard it's excellent. I've only been to Hong Kong and it is one of the greatest places on the planet.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Ethiopia or Chad
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Ah y'see, it's not the actually cruise I care for, it's the destinations! :D ALL of those places are on my list of ideals so it'd be worth it... I'm not one for sitting around doing chuff all though so come to think of it, the evenings on board might drive me potty :think:

Train!!!! Do all those destinations by train!!!! I love trains - sleepers - so romantic. Try the orient express (or whatever it is called today. They do lil' routes. You can do London Venice, then venice, Budapest, Bucharest, Istanbul! Then just fly back.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Kidding aside, if you want to travel around Scandinavia and Finland (no, we're not a part of Scandinavia :P ), I'm sure there are tons of ways to go about it. You could fly, say, to Denmark, skip around to Sweden from there, detour to Norway if you so wish.. Maybe you could train/car it all the way up Sweden/Norway and make your way to Finland (namely Lapland) from the north, train it downwards. Estonia is a short enough ferry ride away from Helsinki, you can even take a bus to Russia if you want. :lol:

And of course, some of those distances can be flown. Just some ideas, maybe. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    Now I want to do the orient express :( Or the Trans-Siberian. I LOVE train journeys! Crossed Australia by train... so much fun!
    redrock wrote:
    Now I want to do the orient express :( Or the Trans-Siberian. I LOVE train journeys! Crossed Australia by train... so much fun!
    Travel across India by train. You can sit on the roof or share your seat with some chickens. :lol:
    nuffingman wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Travel across India by train. You can sit on the roof or share your seat with some chickens. :lol:

You should have seen how I traveled in the Gambia! Not with trains but I shared my seat with all kinds of weird and wonderful things in their 'buses' (or things on 4 wheels that could carry 1000x more load than it looked like it could!).