Shaq now a Celtic

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Interesting.

Shaquille O'Neal is now a Boston Celtic.

Thoughts?
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    It's not a bad thing. I mean, he is 38 and no one is expecting him to be a savior. We still have Garnett, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins. Shaq will add an interesting depth to this team. Definately doesn't hurt them. It should be quite interesting. As a Celts fan, I am happy about it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    the nba blows. the heat already won the 2011 title
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    that dude is desperate for another ring ...

i would say that it isn't a great move on the celts part ... they are already older and more susceptible to injury ... why make the team even more older!? ... is sheed coming back cuz they need someone to come off the bench and score ... rondo can't play 45 mins a game for them ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    he'll clog up about 5 sq feet of space, and players will just drive around him. he is washed up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Can't hurt.

Either he helps the team, or they get rid of him. Money is a non factor relatively.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    youngster wrote:
    It's not a bad thing. I mean, he is 38 and no one is expecting him to be a savior. We still have Garnett, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins. Shaq will add an interesting depth to this team. Definately doesn't hurt them. It should be quite interesting. As a Celts fan, I am happy about it.

As a Celtic fan myself, I'm happy about it too and my outlook is pretty much the same as yours.

Sure, Shaq isn't nearly as relevant as he was 10 years ago, but for being 38 and being in the league what, 18 years, he still puts up decent numbers: 11 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 22 mpg...

Not bad for a player who konws his role as a low post player, and who can still do it pretty effectively.

The only problem now is that opposing teams can't be allowed to foul Shaq in the final minutes of a game or else we might be in trouble.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Utah Celtics :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    pathetic and desperate...although he has been for several years now
    dcfaithful wrote:
    youngster wrote:

As a Celtic fan myself, I'm happy about it too and my outlook is pretty much the same as yours.

I don't get it...your tag says DC faithful...you've got the Utah Jazz logo...why are you a celtic fan?
    The Fixer wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    youngster wrote:

I don't get it...your tag says DC faithful...you've got the Utah Jazz logo...why are you a celtic fan?

fraudulent activity spotted. abort abort. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    can be very smart for the celtics. I still think they will beat the Heat.
    The Fixer wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    youngster wrote:

What is with this notion where you can only be the fan of one team? I don't really get it.

DC has nothing to do with Washington DC if that's what you're implying

And finally, why do you care anyways? You've voiced countless times around this board that "the nba blows."...so it shouldn't really even be of any interest yeah?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:

Jesus... :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • polaris_x wrote:
    that dude is desperate for another ring ...

i would say that it isn't a great move on the celts part ... they are already older and more susceptible to injury ... why make the team even more older!? ... is sheed coming back cuz they need someone to come off the bench and score ... rondo can't play 45 mins a game for them ...

Good call, Polaris.

This team needs to start developing new talent. The stars are getting older, and Kevin Garnett is not aging well at all.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
    dcfaithful wrote:
    And finally, why do you care anyways? You've voiced countless times around this board that "the nba blows."...

i love a good body blow. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited August 2010
    I was going to say, I thought he had been playing a LOOONG time. I remember him joining the NBA when I was in junior high.. Hell, Vs. wasn't even out yet! Pearl Jam was a new band!
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

What is with this notion where you can only be the fan of one team? I don't really get it.

so how many teams do you like? I think you should only have 1 team you root for. otherwise it's a conflict of interest.

the nba does blow. I follow all sports, but the NBA is by far the worst
    The Fixer wrote:
    so how many teams do you like? I think you should only have 1 team you root for. otherwise it's a conflict of interest.

How long have you been working for the Sports Police? :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I just don't understand how people become fans of cities they have no affiliation with. So I was asking why you like the celtics.

you're obviously not from the northeast
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol:

I'm going to show up at your front door with Laker attire. I expect you to make good on your offer of taking me out for a drink. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    If you're between the ages of 20-40, you're a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Braves, Raiders, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens and/or Oilers, and you're not actually from those one of those cities ... well, you better have a reason that goes beyond "When I was picking a favorite team as a kid, they were the best team, so I picked them."

sir, may we hear your reason. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I just don't understand how people become fans of cities they have no affiliation with. So I was asking why you like the celtics.

you're obviously not from the northeast

Been an admirer of KG and Ray Allen since their early days. I'm not going to stop supporting some favorite players of mine just cause they move teams. So yeah, I guess that's ultimately why I consider myself a Celtic fan. I guess I'm a fraud, whatever...it's sports and to me, doesn't really make a big deal. I don't walk around like an asshat sporting enormous amounts of Celtic attire, claiming I'm a lifelong fan.

Besides, at this point the fraudulent thing to do would to play it off as I've been a Heat fan for years.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I'm going to show up at your front door with Laker attire. I expect you to make good on your offer of taking me out for a drink. :lol:

you show up on my door, and i'll get a proper beer. that would be a cask conditioned beer, hand pumped into the correct style of glass.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    If you're between the ages of 20-40, you're a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Braves, Raiders, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens and/or Oilers, and you're not actually from those one of those cities ... well, you better have a reason that goes beyond "When I was picking a favorite team as a kid, they were the best team, so I picked them."

sir, may we hear your reason. :mrgreen:

I think the fact that I was never a Chicago fan throughout my childhood and all of the 90's gets me off the hook. You guys must have shit your pants due to the high volume of frauds in the Jordan era. :shock:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    this months selection

BEER ENGINE (CASK CONDITION)
    Three Floyds Alpha King
    (Munster, IN) ABV: 6% $6 pints Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial,
    Cascade & Warrior Hops.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I was going to say, I thought he had been playing a LOOONG time. I remember him joining the NBA when I was in junior high.. Hell, Vs. wasn't even out yet! Pearl Jam was a new band!

I'll bet he pays for his groceries with a check.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    edited August 2010
    dcfaithful wrote:

Been an admirer of KG and Ray Allen since their early days. I'm not going to stop supporting some favorite players of mine just cause they move teams. So yeah, I guess that's ultimately why I consider myself a Celtic fan. I guess I'm a fraud, whatever...it's sports and to me, doesn't really make a big deal.

Besides, at this point the fraudulent thing to do would to play it off as I've been a Heat fan for years.

gotcha. I honestly didn't mean to jack your thread (sorry). I was asking a legitmate question. I don't get it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm a fan of all the Philly teams, so I hate the celtics. And I think the red sox fans are the most fake in sports. So I was curious.

I think that fraud stuff was started by someone else. There is some stupid sports talk radio host in philly that started the fraud thing. I can't stand that host, he makes people that listen to him dumber. I've never posted in that fraud thread.

anyway, for what it's worth I don't see how shaq helps the C's. Assuming the following are still around, aren't Perkins, Big baby, and garnett all better players at this point?
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Perkins is out until at least jan
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Perkins is out until at least jan

didn't know that. even so, couldn't they just put manequin arms on a step ladder. I'd think the ladder is more moblie than shaq at this point