bone graft surgery

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone familiar with or have had bone graft surgery? I have to get it done on my right femur in a couple of weeks, and although I've done a lot of research on it, I don't know anyone who's actually had it done. I'm wondering just how bad (or good) this surgery is from someone who's had it done.

Anyone? :?:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Oh I have no experience just here to say I'm thinking of you, hoping all goes well and I would say stay strong but I know you ;) so I'll just say bless your strong self! You are amazing :D
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Are they using cadaver bone? An aunt had the procedure on her tibula. Unfortunately, the recovery was very long and painful with lots of physical therapy. And five years later, she still walks with a pronounced limp, but she can walk, which was the ultimate goal. The doctors were thrilled with the outcome.

Best of luck.
    Nice shirt.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pandora wrote:
    Oh I have no experience just here to say I'm thinking of you, hoping all goes well and I would say stay strong but I know you ;) so I'll just say bless your strong self! You are amazing :D
    Thanks P! You're so sweet! :D
    Are they using cadaver bone? An aunt had the procedure on her tibula. Unfortunately, the recovery was very long and painful with lots of physical therapy. And five years later, she still walks with a pronounced limp, but she can walk, which was the ultimate goal. The doctors were thrilled with the outcome.

Best of luck.
    They will be using cadaver and my bone scraped from my pelvis. It's already been 6 months for my injuries with no union, so I kinda knew recovery from this may be long. And I broke my other femur which is finally healed after 6 months, with 2 months of therapy. So it sounds like...more of the same. And yes, my goal is to walk again! Thanks so much for answering QtoTen! How old is your aunt, by chance?
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Jeanwah wrote:
    They will be using cadaver and my bone scraped from my pelvis. It's already been 6 months for my injuries with no union, so I kinda knew recovery from this may be long. And I broke my other femur which is finally healed after 6 months, with 2 months of therapy. So it sounds like...more of the same. And yes, my goal is to walk again! Thanks so much for answering QtoTen! How old is your aunt, by chance?

She was 51 at the time. She had some major setbacks in her recovery, but the outcome was the best it could have been with the injury she had. It's amazing what can be done.
    Nice shirt.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I haven't had this surgery, but I have had 8 surgeries.

Put total faith in your doctor and you will do great! We will all be thinging of you! Good Luck! :)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • I kinda have experience.I've had 2 spinal fusions in my neck, the 2nd after the 1 st did not fuse properly. Both times a bone graft was involded. The 1st time, a cadaver bone as used. For the 2nd surgery, they used 2 small pieces of my hip to insert into my neck, where my discs used to be. Almost 5 months later, my neck feels pretty good, and my back/hip hurts worse than my neck does.
    I kinda have experience.I've had 2 spinal fusions in my neck, the 2nd after the 1 st did not fuse properly. Both times a bone graft was involded. The 1st time, a cadaver bone as used. For the 2nd surgery, they used 2 small pieces of my hip to insert into my neck, where my discs used to be. Almost 5 months later, my neck feels pretty good, and my back/hip hurts worse than my neck does.
    Good to hear that you're feeling better (sorry about the back & hips). That's interesting (and promising) that it did work for you no later than the 2nd time. I've been thinking about the success rate. and just generally nervous about the whole process.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    can i ask why you neeed a bone graft.

my son had an anuerysmal bone cyst in his fibula a few years ago. it was removed and the doctors hoped the bone would grow back. well... it was the cyst that grew back and when he was operated on again they removed a 4cm portion of his bone. there was talk that if the cyst reappeared a third time of either removing the bone altogether or treating it with chemotherapy. the latter is not an option. recent xrays have shown not only has the cyst not reappeared but the bone hasnt regrown and were told it never will. fortunately the fibula isnt load bearing. but i do wonder as he grows how big the gap between the two bits of his fibula will get.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Cate-I guess living without a little bone isn't so bad, now that your son is cancer-free. :)

I was in a car accident, and the trauma of my numerous fractures in my femur has led to non-union after six months. It's pretty much my only option. And I can wait to walk again, as long as it happens some day.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Cate-I guess living without a little bone isn't so bad, now that your son is cancer-free. :)

I was in a car accident, and the trauma of my numerous fractures in my femur has led to non-union after six months. It's pretty much my only option. And I can wait to walk again, as long as it happens some day.

it was benign so fortunately he always was cancer free. the only reason we became aware of it in the first pace was cause he tripped up the gutter and complained of his leg hurting. an xray revealed a fracture right through the cyst. hence why the fracture occurred in the first place.

nonunion.. dont you love that terminology. :roll:

so you havent been able to walk these past months at all??? i sprained my ankle nearly 5 weeks ago and its still giving me grief. i cant imagine 6 months of limited or no mobility.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    Jeanwah wrote:

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery! We'll all be pulling for you! Keep us posted...
    FrankieG wrote:
    I haven't had this surgery, but I have had 8 surgeries.

Put total faith in your doctor and you will do great! We will all be thinging of you! Good Luck! :)
    PearlJam24 wrote:

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery! We'll all be pulling for you! Keep us posted...

Thanks guys! :) My surgeon is supposedly very good...we'll see!
    Jeanwah wrote:

it was benign so fortunately he always was cancer free. the only reason we became aware of it in the first pace was cause he tripped up the gutter and complained of his leg hurting. an xray revealed a fracture right through the cyst. hence why the fracture occurred in the first place.

nonunion.. dont you love that terminology. :roll:

so you havent been able to walk these past months at all??? i sprained my ankle nearly 5 weeks ago and its still giving me grief. i cant imagine 6 months of limited or no mobility.

Yeah - nonunion - no healing whatsoever, gotta love it.

I broke both femurs and my right forearm, both bones (which led to nerve damage in my hand and wrist, from violent trauma). So I was living in hospitals / nursing home for 4 months. Finally getting weight bearing on one leg (that femur was only broke in 2 places) in early May, I've gotten pretty strong now walking with a walker w/ a platform for my arm. My body was a mess, but I'm focused on therapy and healing now. Once the bone graft surgery is done, more months waiting to see if it takes, and if it does, I'll hopefully be on my way walking again. It's been tough; I used to run and was very active, but I'm just glad I'm alive and at home. :)
    I wanted to update this thread as I got news today that surgery was a success!!

I can now bear 100% weight on my leg. It's a happy day, with or without a PJ announcemet!!! :D:D
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Jeanwah wrote:

I can now bear 100% weight on my leg. It's a happy day, with or without a PJ announcemet!!! :D:D

Congrats, glad it turned out well.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Jeanwah wrote:

:clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :wave: :D:D:D
    pandora wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

:clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :wave: :D:D:D
    Thanks Pandi!!
    :D:D:D
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    That's GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Bunch of babies on the Porch all whining about the lack of a announcement...and I see this...Wonderful news for you...I wish the rest of your recovery to be speedy and complete! :D
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Jeanwah wrote:

OH MAZEL TOV!!!!!!
    Such great news...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Thanks everyone!! I must say, it's very strange re-learning how to walk all over again. The body forgets how after 9 long months...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Thanks everyone!! I must say, it's very strange re-learning how to walk all over again. The body forgets how after 9 long months...

glad it worked out well!
    www.myspace.com
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Congratulations! Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Jeanwah wrote:

That is great news! :thumbup: :clap:

Keep up the hard work in rehab and try not to get too frustrated during the process. Sometimes it's easy to do but there may be times where you just want to give up. You just have to take it day by day and keep reaching for your goal(s). It'll pay off over time. Keeping you in my prayers!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Excellent news !
    Glad to read of your successful progress,

fight to get it back again ....

:thumbup:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    :D

Rehab IS hard, but it's worth every bit of pain. Thanks again!!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Jeanwah, I'm so glad your surgery went well!!

{{{Jeanwah}}} <--hugs :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Jeanwah wrote:

How wonderful. It is always nice to read some good news for a change. Congrats!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Back to this old thread. Most of the bone graft was a success except for a very stubborn fracture at the top of my femur that refuses to heal. So going for another round of bone graft surgery on Tuesday. I need good vibes and thoughts that this works this time!!