Options

Question: What's Everyone Gonna Do When Pearl Jam Inevitably Retire???

jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,575
edited August 2008 in The Porch
We all know its gonna happen...come on...the guys are like gettin old and wont be around for ever...I been saying 'Its their last album' since Binaural but as time goes on it seems more and more likely!

Whats ur contingency plan?

How long will the pit last after the band has ceased to be?

Will everyone sell their memorabilia or hold onto it cause it might go up in price?

How long do you think until the inevitable 'Announcement' ?????
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen...
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    They will never retire!
  • Options
    Never underestimate the power of denial!

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    over_bends wrote:
    ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen... ...not going to happen...

over_bends wrote:

over_bends wrote:

Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I'm thinking at least til there 40th anniversary which means I gotta lot of time to think about that I'll do next
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    i will be retired by then too!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:

Touché...........
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    U kiddin!

The bands been around since what 1991? its been like 17 years!!!! - not many bands have been together that long. I reckon they could make it to 20 years - that takes us to 2011. Thats not that far off!!!!

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    dont want to think about that day.....

not going to happen.....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    God forbid, but I don't see them going on if one of the original 4 dies. You can make the case that Matt Cameron is gonna be the last drummer as well.
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    We all know its gonna happen...come on...the guys are like gettin old and wont be around for ever...

Boy, nothing like a happy thought to start off the week with ;)
    Old is a state of mind (says me who is the same age as Jeff).
    Rolling Stones are still kicking and they have to be close to their 60's.
    Why worry and think about the negative or the inevitable - just enjoy what you have while you have it.
    Peace
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    what? I do not understand your question? Maybe if you wrote it in English? ;)
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Keiran wrote:
    Old is a state of mind (says me who is the same age as Jeff).
    Why worry and think about the negative or the inevitable - just enjoy what you have while you have it.
    Peace

hahah the rolling stones are WAY over 60 at this point.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Keiran wrote:

Try closer to their 70's

Mick Jagger turned 65 on July 26
  • Options
    joebot wrote:
    God forbid, but I don't see them going on if one of the original 4 dies. You can make the case that Matt Cameron is gonna be the last drummer as well.

ugh that's so morbid!!!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,814
    U kiddin!

The bands been around since what 1991? its been like 17 years!!!! - not many bands have been together that long. I reckon they could make it to 20 years - that takes us to 2011. Thats not that far off!!!!

Compared to what? Shitty to mediocre bands? This is the best band of nearly the last 20 years... They'll keep playing together as long as they will want to - Stones, Who, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Dylan - this is the crowd they can be officially included with and those dudes are in their 60's and still goin strong. Granted I don't know what they'll sound like in 20 years, but I don't see how 17 years is a long time in the grand scheme of things. Better yet, I think this is the first time ever that a band, including the bands above, who are putting out as well, if not better, shit (studio and live) than they did when they were younger. Not only have they adapted, but they're also sounding as strong as ever.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    ill just keep listening to Yield...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Compared to what? Shitty to mediocre bands? This is the best band of nearly the last 20 years... They'll keep playing together as long as they will want to - Stones, Who, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Dylan - this is the crowd they can be officially included with and those dudes are in their 60's and still goin strong. Granted I don't know what they'll sound like in 20 years, but I don't see how 17 years is a long time in the grand scheme of things.

Also REM and U2 (well U2 haven't toured for a couple years but you get the point). These bands were around when I was BORN and I'm 30.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,814
    CityMouse wrote:
    Also REM and U2 (well U2 haven't toured for a couple years but you get the point). These bands were around when I was BORN and I'm 30.

Yeah, Im just saying roughly the last 20 years. I would say U2 and REM's real hey-day puts them in the 80's...So if wanna say the best band of the last 30 years then you'd probably go U2....Jesus Christ, all this talk is making me very depressed and old.
  • Options
    U kiddin!

most bands dont make it that long because of problems, ie:

people dying (a la nirvana)
    people getting drugged up (STP)
    people hating each other (pink floyd)
    tragedy (almost pj)
    front man being an asshole (creed ;))
    they just suck

not because they choose to end. it's not like they go, oh well, 20 years is up, let's just stop.

it seems to me if they've been through some of the worst tragedies of their lives (ie: roskilde) and they're still together. they also still like each other, and i dont see either of them as unstable, like cobain was, or wanting to get high like some of them used to in the past (mccready). they seem like intelligent, respectful people, and they all work well together (which is why i think dave a. had to go, he wasnt in the same mindset as the rest of the band). plus, theyve all said that they wanted to go on for a long long time and their fanbase does too, so why should they stop now? they could be the next rolling stones and keep going until they get so old and decrepit that they cant play because of their senility and arthritis.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    most bands dont make it that long because of problems, ie:

people dying (a la nirvana)
    people getting drugged up (STP)
    people hating each other (pink floyd)
    tragedy (almost pj)
    front man being an asshole (creed ;))

not because they choose to end. it's not like they go, oh well, 20 years is up, let's just stop.

it seems to me if they've been through some of the worst tragedies of their lives (ie: roskilde) and they're still together. they also still like each other, and i dont see either of them as unstable, like cobain was, or wanting to get high like some of them used to in the past (mccready). they seem like intelligent, respectful people, and they all work well together (which is why i think dave a. had to go, he wasnt in the same mindset as the rest of the band). plus, theyve all said that they wanted to go on for a long long time and their fanbase does too, so why should they stop now? they could be the next rolling stones and keep going until they get so old and decrepit that they cant play because of their senility and arthritis.

McCready has said he doesn't want to be the next keith richards, up there playing when he's really old.

however, I was up really close to ed this weekend and holy shit, I cannot believe that guy's in his 40s. Look at the whole band, they're all ripped and look great. They might get older in years but I don't see them tiring out any time soon.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    McCready has said he doesn't want to be the next keith richards, up there playing when he's really old.

however, I was up really close to ed this weekend and holy shit, I cannot believe that guy's in his 40s. Look at the whole band, they're all ripped and look great. They might get older in years but I don't see them tiring out any time soon.
    well, maybe, but i dunno, i see him playing until he's ran out of steam :)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    We all know its gonna happen...come on...the guys are like gettin old and wont be around for ever...I been saying 'Its their last album' since Binaural but as time goes on it seems more and more likely!

Whats ur contingency plan?

How long will the pit last after the band has ceased to be?

Will everyone sell their memorabilia or hold onto it cause it might go up in price?

How long do you think until the inevitable 'Announcement' ?????

SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

i want to stay in denial land, the place where they never get old and never break up or retire and you almost destroyed that happy place you bastard!!

i hope you are happy!!
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I can see them "slowing down" in the near future but I don't think we'll see them "hang it up" as a group for a long time.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

i want to stay in denial land, the place where they never get old and never break up or retire and you almost destroyed that happy place you bastard!!

i hope you are happy!!

I'm a big fan of Denial Land too!
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Denial Land too!

:D
  • Options
    :D

seriously, the way I see it is, none of these guys are even close to being old enough to be my parents (they were in like jr high when I was born). that means we are of the same "generation" (losely defined). therefore, there will always be pearl jam as long as I live :).
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    CityMouse wrote:
    ugh that's so morbid!!!

I didn't mean to be morbid, in fact look at it positively. I don't see them retiring until one of the main guys dies. Since they are all relatively young and extremely healthy, they will never die and hence Pearl Jam will know no end !!
  • Options
    joebot wrote:
    I didn't mean to be morbid, in fact look at it positively. I don't see them retiring until one of the main guys dies. Since they are all relatively young and extremely healthy, they will never die and hence Pearl Jam will know no end !!

that's more like it.
  • Options
    IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    From what I've read it seems like the only variable here is how well they get along with each other. Obviously there were some rough patches in the early days, and sometimes I get the vibe from stuff I've read around here, and of course the 'Single Video Theory' release that Ed and Stone in particular can butt heads, but apart from that... why exactly would they break up? I mean every major act I can think of involves musicians who go on making music even if they split... It's not like any of the Beatles stopped making music when they split, or any of the members of Pink Floyd, The Band... any of them. Once a musician, always a musician. It's not like Jeff is going to quit the band so he can go become an accountant.

So again that only leaves the question of how well they get along.