Eat Pray Love

geckogecko Posts: 1,712
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Eat, Pay, Leave.
    As I write highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me. - George Orwell
  • I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak for it. However, I know it has been harshly criticized, one I read while it was still considered to be "in production." So, I'm not sure, definitely a Netflix for me.

Edit: Agreed on Javier Bardem and I also enjoy James Franco. I hope it's better than what is to be expected, especially since Ed is sort of involved in it.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak for it. However, I know it has been harshly criticized, one I read while it was still considered to be "in production." So, I'm not sure, definitely a Netflix for me.

Edit: Agreed on Javier Bardem and I also enjoy James Franco. I hope it's better than what is to be expected, especially since Ed is sort of involved in it.

how is Eddie Vedder sort of involved?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    edited August 2010
    ok found it, "better days" on soundtrack. (you can tell I wasn't on the board alot in june.) pasting in from imdb.com

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879870/soundtrack

I see that Harry from Spiderman is in the movie and Billy Crudup (Almost Famous.)

while i don't look forward to seeing julia roberts slurp spaghetti, i may watch it...I like Javier Bardem.
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Doncha just want to wet Julia Robert's lips and stick her on a wall.
    nuffingman wrote:

I prefer her brother, Eric Roberts...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    iluvcats wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

I prefer her brother, Eric Roberts...
    You learn something everyday. I didn't realise he was her brother.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    mmmmm I like ALL those men... thought the book was ok... might be an alright film. Was in Italy a few weeks ago wondering if they would make a film about it... I was mainly thinking about the 'eat' part of it :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak for it. However, I know it has been harshly criticized, one I read while it was still considered to be "in production." So, I'm not sure, definitely a Netflix for me.

how is Eddie Vedder sort of involved?

Well, the song on the soundtrack....
    fade away...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    ummm ... a note to all the guys: avoid this at all costs ... this is worth a "i think i might have ebola" excuse ...

if you are female and divorced and have read the book and think jennifer aniston makes good movies ... consider seeing this on dvd ...

:mrgreen:

ok ... as you can tell, i didn't really like it but maybe some will ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    ummm ... a note to all the guys: avoid this at all costs ... this is worth a "i think i might have ebola" excuse ...

if you are female and divorced and have read the book and think jennifer aniston makes good movies ... consider seeing this on dvd ...

:mrgreen:

ok ... as you can tell, i didn't really like it but maybe some will ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    fade away...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Eat, Pay, Leave.

agreed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Someone got this book for my wife. She made it about a chapter or so in before deciding the main character was a whiny bitch and put it down.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • FYI...... Long Road is also featured in this movie. About half way in. It sounds like it was reworked a bit and has the vibe of better days
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    When will Julia Roberts go away? This playing the same role in slightly different ways is ridiculously old.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    When will Julia Roberts go away? This playing the same role in slightly different ways is ridiculously old.

She's Americas sweetheart, how dare you??

She's milked that cow to death
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Someone got this book for my wife. She made it about a chapter or so in before deciding the main character was a whiny bitch and put it down.

Same here - I read a couple chapters, gave the book away. That woman is loathsome. A self-centered twit.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Is Eddies song even in the movie, or just on the soundtrack? I know two people who saw it and said they didnt hear it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Is Eddies song even in the movie, or just on the soundtrack? I know two people who saw it and said they didnt hear it.

long road as mentioned earlier plays in the middle ... while better days finishes the movie with a slightly different arrangement and then it is also the song for the closing credits ...
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    polaris_x wrote:

long road as mentioned earlier plays in the middle ... while better days finishes the movie with a slightly different arrangement and then it is also the song for the closing credits ...

ah cool thanks. Maybe my friends wife left before the credits or was asleep ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

those 2 people must not recognize Eds voice. Both songs are in your face.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    ah cool thanks. Maybe my friends wife left before the credits or was asleep ;)

not surprisingly - i'm gonna go with both ... :D ... although the end scene with better days is by far the best scene in the entire movie ...
  • Does anyone else wonder why Ed was involved with this, just curious, because right now my theory is that his girlfriend is a fan of the book,lol.
    fade away...

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Julia Roberts face = EJWPD00Z.jpg
  • Yes, Cradles Broken Glass, I do very much wonder what possessed Ed on this one.Saw the single in Tower yesterday. Didn't even consider picking it up. I've never been less interested in a Pearl Jam related release. The music is interesting for Ed, but the lyrics are about as painfully awkward and bland as the film seemsto be. Here's a review from today's Guardian. I'm not usually one for judging a book by it's cover, but there is no way I could imagine this movie has any merit whatsoever.

Eat Pray Love
    Yawn, fidget, stretch. Peter Bradshaw is a reluctant passenger on Julia Roberts's interminable spiritual journey

Sit, watch, groan. Yawn, fidget, stretch. Eat Snickers, pray for end of dire film about Julia Roberts's emotional growth, love the fact it can't last for ever. Wince, daydream, frown. Resent script, resent acting, resent dinky tripartite structure. Grit teeth, clench fists, focus on plot. Troubled traveller Julia finds fulfilment through exotic foreign cuisine, exotic foreign religion, sex with exotic foreign Javier Bardem. Film patronises Italians, Indians, Indonesians. Julia finds spirituality, rejects rat race, gives Balinese therapist 16 grand to buy house. Balinese therapist is grateful, thankful, humble. Sigh, blink, sniff. Check watch, groan, slump.

Film continues, persists, drags on. Wonder about Julia Roberts's hair, wonder about Julia Roberts's teeth, wonder about permanence of Julia Roberts's reported conversion to Hinduism. Click light-pen on, click light-pen off, click light-pen on. Eat crisps noisily, pray for more crisps, love crisps. Munch, munch, munch. Munch, munch, suddenly stop munching when fellow critic hisses "Sshhh!" Eat crisps by sucking them, pray that this will be quiet, love the salty tang. This, incidentally, makes me plump, heavy, fat. Yet Julia's life-affirming pasta somehow makes her slim, slender, svelte. She is emoting, sobbing, empathising. She has encounters, meetings, learning-experiences. Meets wise old Texan, sweet Indian girl, dynamic Italian-speaking Swede who thinks "Vaffanculo" means "screw you".

Roberts eats up the oxygen, preys on credulous cinemagoers, loves what she sees in the mirror. Julia shags Billy Crudup, James Franco, Javier Bardem. Ex-husband, rebound lover, true romance. Crudup is shallow'n'callow, Franco is goofy'n'flaky, Bardem is hunky'n'saintly. We hate Crudup, like Franco, love Bardem. Divorced Javier is gorgeous, sexy, emotionally giving. About his ex-wife we are indifferent, incurious, uninterested. She is absent, off the scene, unnamed. That's how Julia likes it, needs it, prefers it.

Movie passes two-hour mark, unfinished, not over yet. Whimper, moan, grimace. Wriggle, writhe, squirm. Seethe, growl, rage. Eat own fist, pray for death, love the rushing sense of imminent darkness. Scream, topple forward, have to be carried out of cinema. Reach life crisis, form resolution, ask editor for paid year's leave to go travelling. Editor stands up, shakes head, silently mouths the word: "No". Nod, turn, return to work. Personal growth, spiritual journeys, emotional enrichment? Not as easy as 1-2-3.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • It sounds like self indulgent crap to me!!! Would'nt it be nice to have enough money to quit your job and go on a trip around the world...Gee I feel so sorry for her!
  • eyedclaar wrote:

That is what I'm afraid I would think. Sure didn't want to waste movie money on it, although my female friends all had a girls' night out for it. I weaseled out. I thought maybe I would like the book, but from what I've heard the central character/author/Julia Robert's character sounds like a self involved, spoiled brat. But I should probably give the book a chance - as long as I can borrow it and not have to spend money on it.

Did anyone see the article about the screening party or whatever it was that Julia Roberts had? I had a link at one time. It said that Roberts secluded herself in an upstairs room with a few "select" individuals. She didn't even allow the author in, which is hilarious. They must be alike. Anyway, supposedly Ed and Josh Brolin were the nicest celebs and actually mingled with the riff raff in the main party room - riff raff being producers, families, author, people like that.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Tell Jennifer Aniston this, PLEASE!
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    eyedclaar wrote:
    i beat you on this one............my wife was never interested because she already knew she was "a whiny bitch"
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • "If you dragged your man to 'Eat Pray Love' this summer, he gets to take you to a movie called 'Football Jerk-off Nap.'" -- Bill Maher.

:lol: