Destination Weddings

2»

Comments

• LauriLauri Posts: 748
    How about you just learn to say NO the next time somebody's inconsiderate enough to get married somewhere you don't want to go. If ya don't wanna go, don't go!

I find extremely difficult to choose between my friends. How can I tell one friend I'm going to their wedding, but tell the other one, sorry, your wedding isn't good enough? It's one thing if you don't have a lot of weddings to go to, but I am at the age where EVERYONE is getting married. I average a wedding per month. AND most of these people are all friends with each other, so they know what my overall plans are. It's also different if you are getting married where you live or where your parents live or something and people who don't live there would have to travel, but destination weddings are different. It's also another thing if it's just the wedding, but I went to a bachelorette party and a shower (in town) over the weekend (for the same person) and dropped $160 and the wedding hasn't even happened yet. People can married where ever they want, but they do in fact, get upset when no one can come (at least the people I know). All I am saying is that if you want to have a destination wedding, you have to be willing to accept that people won't come and you have to remember that just because you want to go to X location, it doesn't mean all of your friends and relatives would choose to spend their money to go there. It sounds obvious, but it's not in practice. Many people who have destination weddings end up in a totally different mind set, and I don't know if it's the just hullabaloo of having a wedding that inflates their egos or a predetermined personality trait, but it does happen. Obviously the original poster has a conscience given their quandary, so I'm just saying, remember what you've said here that things can, indeed, become a bit rude if you don't watch yourself.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    well put lauri... thats it in a nutshell
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • i had a destination wedding the first time I got married and I loved it...my friends understood why I did it, and although they were bummed they couldn't go, they understood that we did what we wanted to do. I'd do it again the next time!!! not only was it an awesome vacation, but it was MUCH less expensive than a traditional wedding and so so so much less stress. we didn't want to say that "we wish we would have..." No regrets.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    dunkman wrote:
    If i had to do it all again i'd have got married somewhere abroad and then had a party when we got back home... also if I had to do it all again I would insist on a contract that guaranteed me the same amount of sex post-wedding as I was getting pre-wedding.

OMG!! The Dunkman is MARRIED!!! ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    If i had to do it all again i'd have got married somewhere abroad and then had a party when we got back home... also if I had to do it all again I would insist on a contract that guaranteed me the same amount of sex post-wedding as I was getting pre-wedding.

it's truly amazing what you'll get for 12 sheep and a bag of haggis. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

it's truly amazing what you'll get for 12 sheep and a bag of haggis. ;)

big-smiley-003.gif
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    My brother had a destination wedding in Tulum, Mexico, in October. We weren't really in support of this plan at first because we have a large family and of course they have waited for this moment (my brother's wedding) for his whole life and most of them weren't invited. (The maximum number of guests allowed in the largest wedding package was 20.) It was also somewhat difficult because those of us who were invited and would never have missed it aren't exactly rolling in money. But he had a reception back home the week after the wedding so everyone could attend. And he made sure the immediate family had a plan to be able to afford the trip to Mexico. (This does require a LOT of notice.) It helped that he was clear that we didn't need to give gifts, and that he held it at an all-inclusive resort, so we didn't need to pay extra for food, etc. Ultimately, it was the best wedding I have ever attended! Everything was taken care of by the resort for much less cost than they would have paid back home, and the resort has several weddings a day, so they really know their stuff! Best wedding pictures I've ever seen, for instance. I'm glad he and his wife got to have the wedding they wanted and I'm glad we got to go on a wonderful trip that we wouldn't otherwise have been able to take. And the people who weren't invited all ultimately understood and were happy for him too. I say, go for it! :D
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I just went to one this weekend that was definitely the way to do a destination wedding. It was in the mountains in a location that some of the relatives and stuff didn't actually have to travel overnight for. It was insanely cheap-- $100 for the whole weekend, and everyone stayed together in large cabins and paid by the person, not the room. Everything was very laid back and the wedding was so casual it didn't require any new clothes or anything.