Greek Yogurt (rant)

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Today, like many days before it, I bagged groceries at Hannaford. I do this because... well... its my job. It isn’t a terrible place to work. I find the occasional Jackass customer to be pretty entertaining rather than degrading. 90% of everything I do there is mindless, which allows for copious amounts of daydreaming (one of my favorite pastimes). Many of my story ideas and philosophy comes from those several hours of zoning-out and instinctively calling out, “Have a nice day” to passing people. Not to mention, the paycheck does enough to get me through the week. Overall, I can’t complain.

Except for today. Today, work bothered me. Not because some lady screamed about the volume of the music, or couldn’t understand why there were no fresh strawberries to be found at nine o’clock. Not because maintenance only cleans things that don’t need to be cleaned (hence the parking lot for Christ’s sake). Not because I had to somehow tame a sea of endless carriages. Not even because for some reason every gallon of milk in the store had mysteriously been tainted with salmonella. The latter I must admit is untrue for fear of starting panic.

No, no, no. The reason that work bothered me today was because I’m sick of people buying mountains upon mountains of so-called “Greek Yogurt.”

Now, for anyone who’s had the the luxury of tasting pure, normal yogurt, I insist in the interest of time you skip this paragraph. But for all you yogurt virgins out there, this passage is for you. - Yogurt is delicious. It is hopefully cold when you eat it. It does not (contrary to popular belief) come from cows. It comes from factories which make many more tastier things than just boring old milk. It comes in all flavors except for the bad ones. Yogurt doesn’t care about the color of your skin or how ugly you are. It tastes the same to a saint as it does to a man who has violently killed someone and yogurt does not at all taste like dirt.

Now that we have a clear definition let me just sum everything up by saying: yogurt is truly a wonderful thing which I would happily consume every day... and do.

But, lately there has been a fad going around. People seem fixated on some new, sexy idea. An idea they all tell me is a more delectable and healthier option than ordinary yogurt. The idea of having Greek yogurt. Let me tell you what Greek yogurt is. It’s a sham. It doesn’t deserve to be even placed on a shelf next to the real stuff. Greek yogurt (contrary to popular belief) is the excrement of cows. Greek yogurt is very racist and most definitely tastes like dirt. Be warned dear reader. There is a vast difference between Greek yogurt and the regular and it is not good.

This is the infallible truth about Greek yogurt. But let me drive the point home a bit further. - If regular yogurt is Jesus, Greek yogurt is like Lynard Skynard without Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins. Just plain awful. If regular yogurt is democracy, Greek yogurt is basically the Federal Reserve. New world order here we come.

Trust me, I’ve tried the stuff. A few weeks ago I bought a small tub of needlessly expensive Greek yogurt to give it a try. It was vanilla flavored and I thought the packaging was pretty neat. But, after eating almost half the tub, I found Greek yogurt to be bland and to have the texture of mushy gravel. Never have I ever had such a depressing food in all my life. Every spoonful brings the promise of that delicious vanilla flavor and creamy cool feel, but instead it just takes a turn for the worst. Just as the mouthful of that Greek garbage starts to get good, it gets ten times worse. It makes no sense. It defies food logic. This calamity has only ever happened to me with pizza rolls. That's right! Frozen, processed, molten lava pizza rolls. Isn’t it supposed to be healthy?

That’s what Alex and everyone else tells me anyway.
“Greek yogurt is better for you than normal yogurt. That’s why people get it,” she said.

And then in a wave of revelation it all fell into place.

People get Greek yogurt over normal yogurt for the same reason they get Canadian bacon over regular bacon or get turkey burgers instead of edible ones. They are trying to be healthier and in the process, brainwashing themselves into thinking the healthier options are tastier. So next time don’t even try to explain how, “Healthy things can taste good too!” Save it. You aren’t trying to convince me, you are trying to convince yourself. Instead of trying to stick your diet in everyone's face, why don’t you just leave me and my good yogurt alone.
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I love greek yogurt! But what in the hell are you doing buying vanilla flavoured greek yogurt :?

Plain greek yogurt with a bit of greek (yep greek) or acacia honey drizzled on top. Yummy.

Though it is silly buying greek yogurt because it's better than 'normal' yogurt. OK, so there is more casein but less calcium. Who cares. Really doesn't make a difference in the small amounts people eat yogurt. Funny how greek yogurt seems to be a 'fad'. Only in the US.... :roll:
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    dude if you get this pissed off about people buying greek yogurt then,

can we trade life's?
  • greek yoghurt is a bit of a "fad" here in australia too.. but if people on a diet are eating it then they are kidding themselves.... it is not for the dieters out there.. its full of fat, well "our" greek yoghurt is.. thats why its so damn delicious! you gotta have it with strawberry or apricot chunks though.. yummo!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    :lol::lol::lol:
    i really dont know which type of doctor u need to help you,so ill give you a tip..
    Greek yogurt,honey and nuts,all mixed..call your girlfriend to spent the night at your place.
    and she will never forget you..... 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PapPap Posts: 28,823
    That's my friend it is called libel! :x And you work in a groceries store... You cannot tell people what to buy or not. Plain Greek yogurt - not all these crappy flavours out there - = ambrosia (in ancient Greek mythology, ambrosia (Greek: αμβροσία) is sometimes the food, sometimes the drink, of the Greek gods (or demigods), often depicted as conferring ageless immortality upon whoever consumes it. It was brought to the gods in Olympus by doves, so it may have been thought of in the Homeric tradition as a kind of divine exhalation of the Earth). :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    This is probably one of the most well written rants about nothing i've come across=p

I love all types of yogurt including the most racist greek yogurt! I like getting some fruit from a salad bar and dumping a tub of high protein yogurt on top.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Rascist Greek yoghurt with honey is lovely, especially at a Greek Taverna.
    nuffingman wrote:
    .... a greek taverna on the beach..... **let's her mind wander**
  • deepgreendeepgreen Posts: 41
    so stop eating fake "yogurts" ;)
    redrock wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Yep I'm with you there. I was thinking of a particularly good one on Kalymnos as I typed. Must go back as I haven't been to Greece for about 7 years. Fantastic country.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    nuffingman wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Yep I'm with you there. I was thinking of a particularly good one on Kalymnos as I typed. Must go back as I haven't been to Greece for about 7 years. Fantastic country.
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited July 2010
    nuffingman wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Kalymnos!!! I was thinking of Kalymnos too!!! Can't remember the name of the place (it was after all 15/16 years ago), but it was fantastic! We were in an appartment on the little hill right behind it and often had breakfast (and dinner!) there.... We were staying right across from the Island of Telendos (but not near the touristy bit - not that is was very touristy!).
    Post edited by redrock on
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    ooooh I'm going to have to disagree too. I don't buy the stuff from the grocery stores here, I get the "greek" style yoghurt from the small independant fruit shops they get the yummiest, thickest and creamiest greek style yoghurt. You can get plain, or fruity topped ones like mango, mixed berry, ginger (that;s nice and different), passionfruit and all sorts of others.

Seriously if the one you tried tastes like gravel, try a different brand...Oh and I was eating before it was "cool".
    Take back the word racist now! :evil:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • FirstExitFirstExit Posts: 973
    I eat Greek Yogurt every day and I bench 285 and squat 450. Come at me bro.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Gippsland Dairy Yoghurt is the best I have ever tried.

http://www.gippslanddairy.com.au/awards.html

A small local manufacturer of fine dairy products, the yoghurt is more expensive than cheap mass produced brands but the taste is the best.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Colby, I agree with you.

greek yogurt sucks. No offenxse to anyone who thinks otherwise, its just not for me.

very well written :D
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I recently decided to try it. I bought chobani with fruit on the bottom. It's pretty damn good. So yeah, I'm one of those annoying people :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • wonderful rant..so eloquently put.
    if i could bitch about my job in this manner, maybe more people would listen :lol:
    i find it hard enough to take down regular yogurt, but i have been brainwashing myself for years that it is good for you so i should eat it. I recently got on the granola bandwagon and that helps a lot.
    i would never, however, try plain or vanilla yogurt by itself....yuk! Unless you got boatloads of fruit to throw in there, its a complete waste of time.

Since we're talking about grocery stores...can i express my hatred of self check out isles, and people who do not know how to operate them? Your not saving anyone anytime if you dont know what your doing....just wait in the long line for the lady to scan your stuff....otherwise, watch out...im losing my patience!!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    Good rant...total bullshit :) Greek yogurt is yummy! Are you sure yours wasn't expired, lol? If you're just looking for a treat, and not something healthy, get some icecream!
    redrock wrote:
    Kalymnos!!! I was thinking of Kalymnos too!!! Can't remember the name of the place (it was after all 15/16 years ago), but it was fantastic! We were in an appartment on the little hill right behind it and often had breakfast (and dinner!) there.... We were staying right across from the Island of Telendos (but not near the touristy bit - not that is was very touristy!).
    Kalymnos!! What a fabulous place. We were meant to go to Kos but the naughty travel company had overbooked. It was the best thing that could have happened to us. We were about 4 miles from the harbour at a place called Panormous I think. It was only a couple of miles from Myrtees beach which you can see Telendos from. Our beach was long and thin with this lovely taverna jutting out on to the beach. It was here the owner gave us the yoghurt with honey on the house. Crafty bugger knew we would then buy it each day. One of my best holidays.

It sounds like you were in Myrtees or Masouri.
    FrankieG wrote:
    Colby, I agree with you.

greek yogurt sucks. No offenxse to anyone who thinks otherwise, its just not for me.

very well written :D
    No offenxse taken! :lol::lol:
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    wow first the greek guy that called the dude with long hair a woman, now greek yoghurt.. i think i'll stay in hiding..

haha..

how else would we have our lovely tzatziki without greek yoghurt? it completely owns french onion and salsa dip.. !!
    wah
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I like greek yogurt for sauces, marinades and in chicken or shrimp salad
    but prefer regular if Im eating it alone or with fresh fruit

its too rich for my taste
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I think greek yogurt tastes like sour cream, not like yogurt at all. Though in part of your rant, I do LOVE turkey burgers.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    You all haven't tasted the traditional Greek yogurt which is made by goatish milk (only at the Greek villages (for example: Desfina) until nowadays). So far you all have been rambling on for 24 posts about the industrial Greek yogurt. :shh:
    Pap wrote:
    You all haven't tasted the traditional Greek yogurt which is made by goatish milk (only at the Greek villages (for example: Desfina) until nowadays). So far you all have been rambling on for 24 posts about the industrial Greek yogurt. :shh:

You'd think here in the lovely southern california(that's sarcasm, I'm not a big fan of it), you'd be able to find all kinds of greek yogurt. But, no. There are about 2 different brands at the max at most stores, and even health food stores, maybe 3!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Pap wrote:

Well yeah, I figured it's not really "authentic" but it's still good. The kind I have had too much sugar. That's the pitfall when you buy no fat items.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I started buying Greek Yogurt about 3 months ago when I realized it has twice (or maybe a little more) the protein of regular yogurt. In 8 oz. of Plain Greek Yogurt, there are 23g of protein. That's a great ratio. It is better for you than regular yogurt. AND its the one thing that in its 'non-fat' version, I actually enjoy! Opposed to sour cream, cheese, cottage cheese, milk....
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
    I started buying Greek Yogurt about 3 months ago when I realized it has twice (or maybe a little more) the protein of regular yogurt. In 8 oz. of Plain Greek Yogurt, there are 23g of protein. That's a great ratio. It is better for you than regular yogurt. AND its the one thing that in its 'non-fat' version, I actually enjoy! Opposed to sour cream, cheese, cottage cheese, milk....

Am I the only one that thinks it tastes like sour cream plain? Do you put anything in it besides a little fruit? I find that just makes the fruit sour too....and in shakes or smoothies....sour smoothie.