Arguments

LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I was just wondering if it was just me but, when I have an argument with a loved one, most of them find it easy to just walk away and come back a very short while later and act like nothing ever happened. happy as clams. I can't do that. I need a resolution. I can't be nice and happy with someone until it's resolved. is it just me? it mainly happens with family and my boyfriend. What do you guys do? Do you just forget it and act like nothing? or do you need resolution too? it makes no sense why I would just forget.
bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    maybe they walk away because they didnt pick a petty fight?
    just a thought
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    klusterfuk wrote:
    just a thought

ok but why sometimes do things that seem petty to others not seem so petty to me? i'm trying to think of an example here but i can't at the moment. I understand petty arguments go nowhere but, what if it's not petty to me?

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    my brothers and me would fight and love each other.
    bloody nose... love you, brother dickhead.
    im a bad example.

um :?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Lizardjam, I think it completely depends upon what kind of argument it is.

For example, is it a short outburst because one person is cranky, the other person responds and someone slams a door? ;) (That sometimes happens around here and usually everyone just calms down and comes back to a hug and an "I'm sorry I was cranky.") :D

Or, is it some long drawn-out thing with an underlying problem that needs to be resolved? Something that keeps coming back because you have different views that don't mesh well? In my opinion, this second kind of argument needs a resolution.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    justam wrote:

For example, is it a short outburst because one person is cranky, the other person responds and someone slams a door? ;) (That sometimes happens around here and usually everyone just calms down and comes back to a hug and an "I'm sorry I was cranky.") :D

Or, is it some long drawn-out thing with an underlying problem that needs to be resolved? Something that keeps coming back because you have different views that don't mesh well? In my opinion, this second kind of argument needs a resolution.
    boxing gloves...X
    whiskey...x

front or back yard?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Lizardjam wrote:
    klusterfuk wrote:
    just a thought

ok but why sometimes do things that seem petty to others not seem so petty to me? i'm trying to think of an example here but i can't at the moment. I understand petty arguments go nowhere but, what if it's not petty to me?
    if you can't think of an example it must be petty. not trying to stir shit here but sometimes what is a big deal to one person may just be bullshit to another.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    It's all bullshit. You heard it here 1st.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    justam wrote:

+1
    justam wrote:

Well, what prompted the post is pretty much the second. But, my sister and mom can fight about anything in the world(big and small) with each other and me and in an hour, resolution or not they're back to normal like nothing happened. I don't get the non-resolution part.

Maybe a better question would be this, how do you get there, to acting like nothing happened and mean it? How do you let it go, whether it's BS to both parties or not, it became an argument for a reason, no? Why is it so easy for some to let go and not me? What thought makes it easier to just let it go?

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Lizardjam wrote:
    justam wrote:

Well, what prompted the post is pretty much the second. But, my sister and mom can fight about anything in the world(big and small) with each other and me and in an hour, resolution or not they're back to normal like nothing happened. I don't get the non-resolution part.

Maybe a better question would be this, how do you get there, to acting like nothing happened and mean it? How do you let it go, whether it's BS to both parties or not, it became an argument for a reason, no? Why is it so easy for some to let go and not me? What thought makes it easier to just let it go?

Maybe it's harder for you to let go of the arguments because of what is actually said to you. Are they throwing out unpleasant comments that you feel are unfair? Or, are they discussing things, complaining, but then not changing anything? Maybe that's why you have a hard time letting it go? I don't know.

I think there are so many variables involved that you may need to sit down and think about what's being said, what's happening, and what you'd RATHER was happening so you can talk to them about it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    justam wrote:

Maybe it's harder for you to let go of the arguments because of what is actually said to you. Are they throwing out unpleasant comments that you feel are unfair? Or, are they discussing things, complaining, but then not changing anything? Maybe that's why you have a hard time letting it go? I don't know.

I think there are so many variables involved that you may need to sit down and think about what's being said, what's happening, and what you'd RATHER was happening so you can talk to them about it.

That is a good point actually. Yeah, it is things that are being brought up and said during the argument that a lot of times, to me, have nothing to do with it. They're just said because the other person is mad about whatever it is we're arguing about. That is probably it completely. Sometimes you need other's opinions to see what's going on. I swear I can read people so well sometimes but when it comes to myself I suck at it.

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    To have been a fellow who always argued and fussed for so long, I've gotten pretty good at letting shit roll off my back, whether I feel the need to throw it or if its being thrown at me. To me, I'm not going to argue with a stranger, say maybe somebody who gets mad at me at work, simply because I do not give a fuck if they are mad at me or not. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize, but I'll not argue with someone who matters none to me.

I rarely have any arguments with loved ones, but when they occur I get mad and then I sit back and realize it just doesn't matter 9 times out of 10....or maybe 99 out of 100. Usually I'm fine just to let it go if one does occur and in five minutes time I can go back and talk to that person with no trouble and not mention it. If it gets a little out of hand, I want to make peace...don't want some stupid ass argument with someone I love to cause any trouble and possibly have that fight be the last time I ever saw that person. Kind of the "if tomorrow never comes" thing. Life's too short for bullshit fighting.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    To have been a fellow who always argued and fussed for so long, I've gotten pretty good at letting shit roll off my back, whether I feel the need to throw it or if its being thrown at me. To me, I'm not going to argue with a stranger, say maybe somebody who gets mad at me at work, simply because I do not give a fuck if they are mad at me or not. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize, but I'll not argue with someone who matters none to me.

I rarely have any arguments with loved ones, but when they occur I get mad and then I sit back and realize it just doesn't matter 9 times out of 10....or maybe 99 out of 100. Usually I'm fine just to let it go if one does occur and in five minutes time I can go back and talk to that person with no trouble and not mention it. If it gets a little out of hand, I want to make peace...don't want some stupid ass argument with someone I love to cause any trouble and possibly have that fight be the last time I ever saw that person. Kind of the "if tomorrow never comes" thing. Life's too short for bullshit fighting.

I agree with most of it. I don't argue with people that don't matter to me. I guess I have to get to that point where even if I feel it is important, the original argument, that I have to let it go because the person means more to me than the point maybe? I can rationalize most things but my feelings\emotions are usually at odds with the rationalizations and logic. I won't say it's a girl thing because i'll get ten girls that say they're not like that but I find it's more a feminine trait. I really want to get to that I can let it all go because the person means more to me point.

Lizardjam wrote:

I guess I have to get to that point where even if I feel it is important, the original argument, that I have to let it go because the person means more to me than the point maybe?
    ...I really want to get to that I can let it all go because the person means more to me point.
    I wouldn't say let it go just for the sake of letting it go....think hard about it and your feelings and then decide if its something worth revisiting, but be able to talk about it without it being an argument. Talk sensibly and calmly..you know?
    As to the second part of your quote, I come from a long line of hot-headed males and it was really hard for me to get to the point where I don't just blow up at people. I just don't want that and the few people I truly love in my life and depend on the most aren't worth losing over something silly or relatively meaningless.
    You've just got to be able to think outside of your anger, think about that other person a little even if they aren't thinking about you right then and remember how much they mean to you...when you really love somebody all that other crap isn't really important to me.

What the hell?!?! Do I think I'm some kind of damn anger management counselor?!? Family counselor?!?
    Seriously, though, I'm a much happier person since I've learned to at least TRY and live every day that way. :D

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    I just walk away and apologize i'd rather take the high road and keep my loved one's in my life ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I let a lot go for the reasoning of not losing loved ones but I'm sure people don't let everything go. I can do it, I can say ok I don't want to fight, I'd rather keep everything sane and merry. So then they say, want to do something with you and you have to be happy about it, I find it hard to force that happy. It's still fresh, they may have said hurtful things(which a lot of people do when they're mad), And whatever started the argument is going to be there tomorrow, and it's going to come up again when the something happens that sparks it. I guess I'll just drop it because it seems to be the majority opinion to let it go. No matter what really for the sake of the loved one. I think though, if I do that too often, I'll wind up resenting that loved one and eventually just being closed off because I won't feel like ever saying anything for fear of yet another argument and I'll withdraw.

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I've been known to walk out of the room in the midst of an argument. If I do walk out, it's only because I want to keep myself from saying something I'll regret later. Also, I want to take the time to calm down so that I can discuss the matter at hand more reasonably. I know this really pisses my wife off, as she wants to hash it all out at once regardless of what gets said and whose feelings might get hurt. I'd rather make her a little more angry at first for the sake of being able to finish the argument later without any unnecessary mean comments that would make things worse.
    I've been known to walk out of the room in the midst of an argument. If I do walk out, it's only because I want to keep myself from saying something I'll regret later. Also, I want to take the time to calm down so that I can discuss the matter at hand more reasonably. I know this really pisses my wife off, as she wants to hash it all out at once regardless of what gets said and whose feelings might get hurt. I'd rather make her a little more angry at first for the sake of being able to finish the argument later without any unnecessary mean comments that would make things worse.

Ha. I play your wife in this position. So, of course things get said because walking away to me is always giving up. I know, for guys it's not but it's so hard to deal with you walking away....

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Let me know if you find the solution! I need it :lol:

For what it's worth I've learned 2 main things from arguing with my family and friends these past 37 years:

If you're seriously upset it's almost always better to return to the scene of the crime and make up as best you can - before going to bed!! Without this things can accumulate and come back to bite you on the arse months or even years later.

Sometimes you just have to say you are sorry and take the blame even if you know you are damn well in the right - otherwise some of these things will never be put to rest.

I guess it kind of depends on how reasonable and fair you and the people you are arguing with are, deep down. I'm lucky I think in that most of the men in my family and friendship group (including myself) are volatile argumentative pricks, but deep down are decent people who don't really want to upset each other. At least this way the storm can usually blow over.

However, I've done a lot of youth support-work with fragile / homeless / abused young people where what they have suffered from their family or others is quite frankly unforgivable..... In such situations you just have to get the fuck out I believe; and if you're not in a situation like that count your blessings and make up!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    tremors wrote:
    Let me know if you find the solution! I need it :lol:

For what it's worth I've learned 2 main things from arguing with my family and friends these past 37 years:

If you're seriously upset it's almost always better to return to the scene of the crime and make up as best you can - before going to bed!! Without this things can accumulate and come back to bite you on the arse months or even years later.
    tremors wrote:
    Sometimes you just have to say you are sorry and take the blame even if you know you are damn well in the right - otherwise some of these things will never be put to rest.

I agree with this to a point because if I do it too often I will wind up simply resenting the other person and pulling away.

I guess it kind of depends on how reasonable and fair you and the people you are arguing with are, deep down. I'm lucky I think in that most of the men in my family and friendship group (including myself) are volatile argumentative pricks, but deep down are decent people who don't really want to upset each other. At least this way the storm can usually blow over.
    tremors wrote:
    However, I've done a lot of youth support-work with fragile / homeless / abused young people where what they have suffered from their family or others is quite frankly unforgivable..... In such situations you just have to get the fuck out I believe; and if you're not in a situation like that count your blessings and make up!

yes, this is true.

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Yeah the trouble with apologising when you don't really feel it is, like you say, if you do it too often it can lead to further problems of its own. It's horrible being beaten over the head with your own charitable apology! However, having the ability to apologise when you are in the right is a very useful skill in certain circumstances!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    tremors wrote:
    Yeah the trouble with apologising when you don't really feel it is, like you say, if you do it too often it can lead to further problems of its own. It's horrible being beaten over the head with your own charitable apology! However, having the ability to apologise when you are in the right is a very useful skill in certain circumstances!

I'm sorry you feel this way.
    tremors wrote:

Good words. Especially the part about not going to bed (I'll add departing a loved one) without making up.
    Shit happens every day and without warning....I don't want to be the guy who loses someone suddenly and has to think back on my last words to that person having been something hurtful or argumentative

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Usually when i have fights with family like my sister, it's nothing serious. We usually both cool down and then forget about and it's like nothing happened. I just feel it's not worth it when it's your family. You never know what can happen. But saying that doesn't mean i haven't had passionate fights with them. I agree with the person who said that they don't argue with people they don't care about. Unfortunately, because I'm very principled i have wasted energy arguing with people who definitely weren't worth my energy and time.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    tremors wrote:

This is so true. I'm in a situation with my mom, and even tho she's in the wrong, I apologized just so that we could move on. The argument was just circular- and we were going at it for 20 min or so. And then I gave in and kept the peace. In the end, what is more important- saving face or saving your relationship. Its one argument out of many in a lifetime- keep the relationship- if its worth it.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I'm with ya Lizardjam...I grew up with always complete resolution to our arguments.
    then I got married to a woman whos family does the complete opposite. No res. what so ever.

Its completely frustrating...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    this thread was started by a woman I take it... my wife is in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest argument about me leaving my socks somewhere.

I quite like make-up sex after an argument... although humping a bag of mascara just isnt the same.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Theovl316 wrote:
    I'm with ya Lizardjam...I grew up with always complete resolution to our arguments.
    then I got married to a woman whos family does the complete opposite. No res. what so ever.

Its completely frustrating...
    Your wife's family and mine are about the same, but the older I've gotten that just doesn't seem right.
    Of course, I have a very close female friend and we will on rare occasions argue. She gets mad, raises hell, says rotten things sometimes and leaves, sometimes without speaking for a couple of days or more. Then nothing is said about it at all.
    My theory for people who do that is they realize they were wrong to start with and therefore don't want to bring it up again or apologize. We've had three maybe four arguments through the years that went the way I described and each time I know for a fact I was in the right

EDIT for a GrEAT STORY: We're sitting around one night at the house, she tells me of a swinging version of Smells Like Teen Spirit one of her girlfriends played for her and says something to the effect of Nirvana making that song better than the original. It was Paul frickin' Anka doing the song by the way :shock:
    I tell her no, Nirvana did it first of course. OH NONONONONO they did not. I say yes, they did, I'm not saying you are wrong only that you apparently were misinformed by your friend. No, SO-AND-SO knows what she's talking about. NO, she doesn't...I grew up listening to Nirvana and you know that if there's one thing in the world I know anything about its music. She gets mad because I tell her i know with 100 percent certainty she is wrong, starts yelling. I get the album out, show her the songwriting credits......this is good......
    seeing all songs written by cobain/nirvana...she says...Well that doesn't mean they did it first

I will never hit a woman as long as I live but at that moment......I coulda shook the shit out of her!!! :D
    But, sticking to the topic at hand here, I realized I was fighting a losing battle, knew I was right so I threw my hands up and shut the fuck up about it. A few days...she admitted she was wrong