Options

Kings of Leon gig cancelled due to bird shit

13»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    justam wrote:
    On the other hand, if I person didn't have to stand there and get shat upon, why should he?! :?

well he coulda moved couldnt he have... he wasnt rooted to the spot.

maybe they should perform in a giant bubble like wayne coyne does. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    What kind of half-assed place allows a problem like this to continue and expects the people coming in to "just deal with it" though?!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    What kind of half-assed place allows a problem like this to continue and expects the people coming in to "just deal with it" though?!

true.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    justam wrote:
    this is the same venue that hosted the guns n roses riot in 1991...there have always been issues of some sort with that venue....crappy security, crappy monitor systems, birds, it smells because it is right next to the missouri river and when it floods the whole venue smells like ass, etc...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    Get_Right wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    I saw a green day setlist from a few days ago and it was 28 songs. Saw them for the American idiot tour and the show lasted about two hours. Pretty good in my opinion.
    many green day songs are like 2 minutes
    -but they are a great live band
    and did someone actually compare the no code tour to current events?

that was 14 years ago bro!

c'mon, there are only a few bands that play three hour shows with different sets and tour extensively
    wilco is one
    furthur is another

cant think of another at the moment

any jamband plays almost 3 hour shows and changes the setlist every night.

what's pretty funny is Widespread Panic played boston saturday, and opened the show with "pigeons" which dave schools (bass player) dedicated to kings of leon
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:
    I saw a green day setlist from a few days ago and it was 28 songs. Saw them for the American idiot tour and the show lasted about two hours. Pretty good in my opinion.

c'mon, there are only a few bands that play three hour shows with different sets and tour extensively
    wilco is one
    furthur is another

what's pretty funny is Widespread Panic played boston saturday, and opened the show with "pigeons" which dave schools (bass player) dedicated to kings of leon

its probably a little easier for jam bands to play longer shows, because they can extend all their songs to like 10 minutes live (not knocking them for this, just pointing it out). Kings Of Leon couldn't do that, itd get pretty boring
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited July 2010
    youngster wrote:
    pussies.

My dad went to a Who show in 1968 or 69 and said Keith Moon was rocking out so hard on the drums that he hit his head on the side of one of the drums and split his forehead open. He said he had blood running down his face but he didn't miss a beat. At the end of the song they had a guy come out and put a few stitches in so he could finish the show. Now that's rock and roll. Now I know where Kol stand and how much they care about their fans. I bet the Backstreet Boys would have continued the show.

Fuckin' A. We need more folks like The Moon, God rest his soul.

I have lost a lot of respect for KOL...subjecting to a clothing line, totally just sucking the cock of the music industry with their last record. Not to mention when I first saw them in 2005, Caleb was eye-molesting a 15 year old girl I attended a show with (I was 16).

I have two friends who work as crew members at numerous venus in the Salt Lake valley...one of them, who is a very dear friend to me worked the KOL show just two weekends ago...he said it was utter hell, he had to clean their personal bathroom (more particularly, the toilet) 4 times because it wasn't sufficient...now that's a little ridiculous...eventually the manager of the crew told their manager "This is bullshit -- we're not wasting our resources to clean the bands shitter all day".

Now this?
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    justam wrote:

What, getting shat on?

It's a simple fix...clean it up, change your clothes, quickly wash your hair or whatever, and get back out there and play your gig.

When I saw Megadeth and some asshole threw a beer on the soundboard, it stopped the show 30 minutes and the arena nearly rioted...but they came back and played their asses off.

KOL could afford to act a bit more professional in this matter, in my opinion.

EDIT: Just read it was happening for 15-20 minutes or so? Still, couldn't it have just been waited out as opposed to cancelling?

I dunno, I guess I just see it as everybody has to take some shit once in a while... :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options

Followill's mother called him when she heard from friends at the show that it had been abruptly ended.

"I was attacked, Mom, but not by humans," Followill said he told her.

That's rock n' roll. Mom callin' to check on you after getting pooped on.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    edited July 2010
    Fifty seconds in some asshole bird tries to ruin a perfectly good rock show...David Yow rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9lUbf5GQ0
    Post edited by jshin on
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    edited July 2010
    C'mon, this is the USA! We put a man on the moon in the 1960's and now it is 2010 and a venue in these modern days can't solve this problem? Can't they tent the place and gas it? Like they do for termites? Electrocute them? Hey, granted I'm an accountant and not an engineer, but couldn't someone suspend a tarp under where the birds were, above the band sort of like a giant umbrella? I point the finger at the venue, not at KOL. Maybe the communications were not ideal but a venue needs to provide a respectful place for people to do their work.

If I were to submit an idea for Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs", I'm wondering if I would submit the idea as a band playing at Verizon in St Louis, or as the people at the venue who are supposed to eradicate the birds. Or both?
    Post edited by Veddernarian on
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

ok panic, phish, allmans, string cheese, DMB?

but you get my point
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    This may have been planned :o

birdshit.jpg
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    dcfaithful wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    pussies.

My dad went to a Who show in 1968 or 69 and said Keith Moon was rocking out so hard on the drums that he hit his head on the side of one of the drums and split his forehead open. He said he had blood running down his face but he didn't miss a beat. At the end of the song they had a guy come out and put a few stitches in so he could finish the show. Now that's rock and roll. Now I know where Kol stand and how much they care about their fans. I bet the Backstreet Boys would have continued the show.

Fuckin' A. We need more folks like The Moon, God rest his soul.

I have lost a lot of respect for KOL...subjecting to a clothing line, totally just sucking the cock of the music industry with their last record. Not to mention when I first saw them in 2005, Caleb was eye-molesting a 15 year old girl I attended a show with (I was 16).

I have two friends who work as crew members at numerous venus in the Salt Lake valley...one of them, who is a very dear friend to me worked the KOL show just two weekends ago...he said it was utter hell, he had to clean their personal bathroom (more particularly, the toilet) 4 times because it wasn't sufficient...now that's a little ridiculous...eventually the manager of the crew told their manager "This is bullshit -- we're not wasting our resources to clean the bands shitter all day".

Now this?

Yeah, I've heard Bonaroo stories about big entourage, special requests, and generally making it hard to everyone involved. They deserve all the backlash they get. Not the great time to be their fan.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Weak.

I can't stand KOL, and this is not helping.

Played JUST enough songs in order to get paid (3), then left.
    Give me a f'n break!

That's okay, nobody will know who the F they are in a couple years anyways...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Weak.

I can't stand KOL, and this is not helping.

Played JUST enough songs in order to get paid (3), then left.
    Give me a f'n break!

That's okay, nobody will know who the F they are in a couple years anyways...

well considering some of us have known who they are for at least 7 years im fairly confident someone will still know who they are in a couple of years.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    but the greater issue is the midwestern summer heat and humidity. according to my trusty thermometer is was about 93 degrees at show time, and i don't care who you are, playing in a 90+ degree outdoor arena is never an optimal concert condition, especially when it is repeated day after day... ....
    It was 117 at the Gorge in 06. PJ had no problem performing - they put on a helluva show.
    DewieCox wrote:
    You guys would work while you and $50000 worth of your personal property get shit on?
    PUH-LEASE :roll:
    I don't have 20,000 people spending $100, waiting around in the heat, and in some cases, travelling hundreds of miles to watch me work! If I don't show up to work....15 people MIGHT feel let down or have their day slightly screwed up, only one of whom has anything to do with me getting paid. These guys let down 15k+ people who have helped make them millionaires. Suck it up.
    Aaaaaaand....adjusted for income.... YES, i would continue to work if $50 of my personal property was getting shit on. :roll: waaaaaaah. Big fucking deal.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I still can't get over the "Shitting in St. Lou" :lol::lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Man, this was just a bad PR move. This story has been all over the place, including CNN. They are just getting a ton of bad press about this. That's awesome that Widespread Panic dedicated "Pigeons" to KOL!!!

Speaking as a resident of St. Louis, they have no fans left here. They really screwed themselves, because they always had a decent turnout for their StL shows. And, the venue isn't that bad. Granted it is not the best, but I've been in worse. Verizon Wireless in Nobelsville is much worse than ours. Also, I was in the 5th row for Tom Petty (which was at the same venue earlier that week) and saw no pigeons whatsoever. Drive-By Truckers opened for Tom Petty and there was no shit on them either.

Also, "toxic health hazard"??? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure Jarred has put other things in his mouth that would be more of a toxic health hazard than bird poop.
  • Options
    allornone wrote:
    Also, "toxic health hazard"??? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure Jarred has put other things in his mouth that would be more of a toxic health hazard than bird poop.
    :lol: zzzzzzzzing! probably true. Totally agree about the PR too. Just bad bad bad. This will follow them for a long time.
    DewieCox wrote:
    You guys would work while you and $50000 worth of your personal property get shit on?
    I know I commented on this already, Dewie....can't believe the connection didn't dawn on me right away...but after thinking about it a little more:
    I used to work at an office across a freeway from a landfill. I DID continue to work, for about two years in fact, while sea gulls shit all over my vehicle, pretty much daily, for about two years. Several of my coworkers got bombed, either while walking to their vehicles, or outside on breaks. ALL of them were either able to wash it off in the washroom, or go home for a change of clothes/shower, then return to finish the day. My vehicle wasn't worth $50 grand...but I make nowhere near what these guys make. Even if we're talking some special instruments or something...this is the kind of thing these guys should have fucking soldiered thru and laughed about a couple years from now.
    The guy had his ego bruised by getting shit on a couple times in front of people. aw. I think everyone has been shit on at some point without throwing a fit....most either shrug or laugh it off.
    Maybe there really are other factors we don't know about....but there comes a time for personal responsibility. Most performers/artists/musicians seem to understand this..
  • Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Take this for what it's worth...

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2 ... uly_23.php

Three days after pigeon poop shut down Kings of Leon's show at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in St. Louis, the story continues to be the talk of the town. Naturally, the local rumor mill has swirled into high gear with plenty of conspiracy theories -- and conflicting stories.

Favazz, the long-time DJ on KSHE 95 FM, was discussing the concert over the air today during his afternoon shift. During the show, he received a phone call from a listener who claims he was working backstage at the venue on Friday night - and saw something very different.

According to the caller, who wished to remain anonymous and didn't want the conversation broadcast on air, it was drinking - not pigeons - that caused the concert to end early.

"He said that the band got there at 11 o'clock, drank all day - and I don't think I said this on the air - but each of them took an IV to try to sober up," Favazz told A to Z. "And that they were just wasted. They went out there and just couldn't play, [and] blamed it on the pigeons."

Favazz added that this conversation corroborated what he read on Facebook over the weekend. (In fact, he said the caller told him that whoever had posted about the band drinking had already been fired.)

The local Live Nation office referred me to the Vice President of Communications in the company's Beverly Hills office for comment; a voicemail left hasn't yet been returned. I also have an email into Kings of Leon's publicist for comment.

In their statement on Saturday, Kings of Leon mentioned that both opening bands, the Stills and the Postelles, were also pooped on. I have questions sent to both bands for clarification/comment and am waiting on responses.

We'll update the story once we have more information.
  • Options
    holy fuck balls.. now theres a band i havent heard in a while........... the stills.

runs off to find logic will break your heart
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Well I guess they wouldn't be the first band to not be able to play cause they were too wasted. But if that were the case, they should have felt at least a little pang of guilt and stated there would be another show (in a different venue) to make up for it. Even if they do so now, it will look like damage control. Dummies. Really really badly handled.

Wait....IV's???????? Is this for real? Sounds like a scene from the Wall....
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Get_Right wrote:

My Morning Jacket :!:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I was front row for this show last night. Yes, there were pigeons up above crapping where Jared stands on stage. This happened to the first two bands as well. However, they just avoided that spot and kept going. I think adjustments could have been made and the show could have gone on.

Yeah, like he could have just moved and stood somewhere else on the stage!!! Fucking hell, I've never heard of anything quite so ridiculous. Fair enough if the stage was being showered in shit, but come on!
    If you've ever seen KoL live before, you'll know that they never move. They stand in the same spot for 20 songs and leave. :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

wilco is one
    furthur is another

Drive-By Truckers played for about 2.75 hours when I saw them in May. Awesome show!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    If you've ever seen KoL live before, you'll know that they never move. They stand in the same spot for 20 songs and leave. :mrgreen:

Yeah I've seen them a few times. I just don't get why, if it was just one area of the stage that was getting hit, why they couldn't have halted the show for say 15-20 minutes and moved his gear to another part of the stage - surely it wouldn't have been that hard? It just doesn't sound like they tried to do anything about it, which is pretty shitty when people have made the effort to go and see them.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,065
    The Pigeon Detectives should have opened up for them in St. Louis. :lol:

They are a UK indie rock band, not too bad

http://www.myspace.com/thepigeondetectives
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    http://flagpole.com/Weekly/Homedrone/Pa ... ty3-4Aug10

I love how Patterson Hood disses on the KoL dude :)