why do people still steal CD's???

SeaTut73SeaTut73 Posts: 458
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Working at a record store it never fails to amaze me when I find an empty jewel case of a CD that someone has stolen from us....with all the downloading & burning going on nowadays WHY THE FUCK would you go into a store....open up a CD case and steal JUST the CD?!?!?
If you really don't want to pay for the music just fucking download it off the internet!!!
If you're gonna steal something from a store, steal a pack of CD-R's....THAT i would understand.

okay, that's my thought for the night.

thanks.
--a--

i'm like an opening band for the sun...
www.archive73.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Thought of Empire Records straight away (hahaha).
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    He probably didn't have enough money... If yall would stop selling cd's for 16.99 maybe the kid wont steal again... ;)
  • SeaTut73SeaTut73 Posts: 458
    Dark Star wrote:
    He probably didn't have enough money... If yall would stop selling cd's for 16.99 maybe the kid wont steal again... ;)

and if record companies didn't charge almost 13 bucks for that CD maybe we would. wink.
    --a--

i'm like an opening band for the sun...
    www.archive73.blogspot.com
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    I once read CD's are like bad acid . ;)
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    some people are just kleptomaniacs.....its a true condition, some of them dont even know they are doing it - i saw it on some documentary :mrgreen:
    others love the thrill, only a small percentage i think will steal because they really cant afford it.
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Elzar wrote:
    some people are just kleptomaniacs.....its a true condition, some of them dont even know they are doing it - i saw it on some documentary :mrgreen:
    others love the thrill, only a small percentage i think will steal because they really cant afford it.
    that's what i was gonna say. some people don't steal because of money issues, they steal for the pure thrill of stealing. it may not have even been a cd they were interested in.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Ty wrote:

.... the fat man walks alone
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Some people steal because some people are douchebags. They'd steal even if the cds were $1.

I'm quite happy to pay to going rate for the cd of a band I like complete with artwork and case. I'd never purchase a cd without the cover - it's the best part of the product (apart fro mthe music). Having said that, recently I've been downloading from itunes but with PJ also buying the cd and vinyl for the art.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    the adrenaline buzz
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    Ty wrote:
    +1
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Was it a Pearl Jam CD? There's your answer. They had to have no matter how broke thet are.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Dark Star wrote:

i have not seen a CD go for $17 in a store in a long, long time. i remember YEARS ago when sam goodey charged like $21 for a cd, haha.

now a days, you can get an album at best buy for no more than like $12/$13.

but yeah, people shouldn't steal.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rival. wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:

i have not seen a CD go for $17 in a store in a long, long time. i remember YEARS ago when sam goodey charged like $21 for a cd, haha.

IF they have it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    81 wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    Dark Star wrote:

IF they have it.

I was killing time the other day in WalMart (don't ask...ugh!) anyways I went over to the music section and holy crap! What a sad selection! Same thing I noticed at Target and Best Buy...you don't see shit for albums at stores anymore! Walmart had ONE...ONE Pearl Jam album...and it was Lost Dogs (?) They didn't even have fricken Ten!

I know the times are a changin', but I for one like physical media. Granted, I usually end up making it digital in the long run, but I like having an actual disc.

Maybe I'm getting old....

LOL! :D
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I stole Nirvana From The Muddy Banks of Wishkah when I was like 13.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I bought an elliott smith cd at easy street for 16 dollars, soon as i opened it it completely broke apart, i was pissed.
    Some people don't want to risk illegally downloading cuz you can get in trouble for it, or they don't know how to, or they can't find a link to download the album.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I stole a couple PJ CDs about 12 years ago. They were unofficial bootlegs that were being sold for 30-50$. The only thing I ever stole. One was the monkeywrench radio thing and the other was hot point.
    I'll be back
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    Some people steal because some people are douchebags. .

Pretty much sums it up.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    People steal either for the thrill of it or because they are broke.. I'm thinking someone who steals cds probably isn't paying for internet.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Because they are small, cute, and flat.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what kind of record store shelves the CDs without protection or with the disc inside. thats just asking for it.

my indies keep the stock in drawers. my major binds it in a double layer of plastic so stealing isnt an option.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    what kind of record store shelves the CDs without protection or with the disc inside.

record stores who want to establish goodwill with their real customers.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    what kind of record store shelves the CDs without protection or with the disc inside.

dont tell me real customers would be offended if the CDs werent in their cases... cause i know its not because of me the CDs are behind the counter or wrapped in layers of plastic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

dont tell me real customers would be offended if the CDs werent in their cases....

oh...but I just did :twisted:

dont tell me real customers would be offended if the CDs werent in their cases....

oh...but I just did :twisted:

i dont believe you that they would be. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    People go to record sotres for the atmosphere/experience.

The more distractions there are to take from that experience, the less likely they are to return.

One distraction is constant monitoring and theft supervision. The more in-your-face it is, the more it takes away from the record store shopping atmosphere.

granted some customers aren't going to care as they go to a record store to buy an album, but the majority of the long-term customers are going for the experience.
    ah yes i know all that. ive been going to my indie store since the early 80s. and having to wait while they find my CD takes nothing away from the experience. it just gives me more time to take in stuff i missed. and theres always something i missed. whether it be a cute little pink blondie tshirt for the toddlermonster, a piece of vinyl id like, a boxset i was unaware of or barney hoskyns' book on tom waits. it allows me to slow down and breathe.
    One distraction is constant monitoring and theft supervision. The more in-your-face it is, the more it takes away from the record store shopping atmosphere.

well with the CDs safe behind the counter that wouldnt be a problem now would it??? ;) :P the staff could relax and fall into easy conversation with the real customers without having to worry that little johnny over there looking a little too nonchalant is trying to hide green day under his hoodie.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    maybe its a matter of what you grew up with.

I like to spend a bunch of time browsing. but when it comes to check out time, I want convenience.

I don't want to deal with someone tinkering with those stupid antitheft cases, especially when it's the new guy who can only unlock it halfway for some reason. And I don't want them to spend extra time looking for CDs. Just ring up my purchase, make some small talk about an album or two, take my money, and I'm good to go.
    maybe its a matter of what you grew up with.

I like to spend a bunch of time browsing. but when it comes to check out time, I want convenience.

I don't want to deal with someone tinkering with those stupid antitheft cases, especially when it's the new guy who can only unlock it halfway for some reason. And I don't want them to spend extra time looking for CDs. Just ring up my purchase, make some small talk about an album or two, take my money, and I'm good to go.

is that your definition of a real customer??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say