Do you enjoy life or do you endure it?

mad22mad22 Posts: 82
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, i pretty much endure it. I'm 27, and i have no idea what i want in life. I have a good job (IT), it allows me to be independant, but it doesnt fullfill me one bit.

I want to do something meaningful and fun, the problem is that i dont have a clue what that may be. Like a month ago or so, i started to take piano lessons, i sometimes wonder if music is my thing. I dont know, i feel like i dont know anything, and that i know really little about myself.

So, have you ever feel like this? Did you find your passion in life? Do you think everyone has a passion for something, or some of us just arent that lucky.. i dont know.

btw, i dont feel down or anything, i guess i feel empty, but for the most part, i dont know... :|
Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nima36Nima36 Posts: 221
    Bingo.

And I've got a few years on you but pretty much the same thing (except that along with my job being not being meaningful in any way, it just plain sucks). But I guess like Bill Hicks said 'It's Just a Ride'
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Nima36 wrote:
    Bingo.

And I've got a few years on you but pretty much the same thing (except that along with my job being not being meaningful in any way, it just plain sucks). But I guess like Bill Hicks said 'It's Just a Ride'

My Life by this!
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    At some points I've endured it...but now I mostly enjoy it. Not always...the day to day grind gets to me at times...I get tired, cranky. But I have a job that I love...a husband I love...a house I love and no problem taking personal time when I need it. I think sometimes we get so lost in achieving some goal, that we miss the whole process and miss our own lives. And if you don't know the goal...that's the fun...trying things out and seeing what sticks. Sometimes just trying things you think you might enjoy brings about some passion.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I'm past the enduring part, and I've decided to enjoy the rest :)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    it seems to me a balance until we die, it really is a rollercoaster, sometimes you feel you got it all figured out, sometimes your completely lost, and it doesn't seem to depend to much on what you do from what i've learned and heard from others. you gotta find a way to be happy and live life on your own terms.
    but ya know , i'm an idiot, which also might be part of it too. ignorence is bliss. being able not to spell seems to help as well. those spelling grammer nazi's are Like Always PISSED!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    Generally, I enjoy life. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I get down or feel like things are just coasting by, but that doesn't happen all too often.

The only time that I really ever felt like I endured life was in high school, for all the obvious teenage bs reasons....
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Enduring, life sucks, but then I listen to a PJ song and begin some enjoyment, but then the song is over, it's actually kind of sad that I still have the teenage age that got me into PJ 20 years ago. Will I ever grow up?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I enjoy it... every day... Sure there are some times that it sucks, but I find something enjoyable in live every day. It could be something as simple or something big... Anything from a good song on the radio, a beautiful sunset, reading a book with my son, an ice cold beer on a hot day or playing with my new droid phone :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    Definitely enjoy it...watching my kids grow, seeing my reflection change in the mirror, understanding more, witnessing the changing of the guard, life is great. Getting older is a blessing, it encompasses so much more, the meaning of everything is..unique. At 27 I was a punk with attitude looking for anything to stimulate my brain, now as I enter my mid forties, life has changed dramatically for me. It is way better, way better by 100x.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i try my best to enjoy the hell out each & every day
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    I think at some point we just need to accept life- it isnt always like the movies and it might not always be so deep and meaningful... but- look at your unfulfilling 'job' as a way to enjoy the rest of your life.

Its an unfortunate thing that we must work to survive, but its what you do with your free time and what you do with the money that can bring true happiness to your life. If its impossible to try to find a more meaningful job, try to look at the bright side and be happy that you have one and are hopefully successful at it and are able to appreciate the fruits of your labor.

But, if you aren't happy within, you won't ever find true happiness without.

Good luck!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Enjoy your journey. I don't ever want to feel fulfilled. Because then I'd be done.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,031

Enjoy your journey. I don't ever want to feel fulfilled. Because then I'd be done.
    This^^^^.

Spent a Looooong time enduring in the bottom of a bottle and at the end of a crack stem. Life was a hell I made.

Now having tamed those beasts(with ongoing help), I can see what I've been missing. It's the daily contact with some people, it's the gifts I see in nature. It's becoming more connected to all that surrounds me.

Not to get cliche on you but ," life is a journey not a destination"

So what have you done today? Stopped and smelled the roses?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118

This is possibly the most profound thing I've read in a long time...what insight.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • mad22mad22 Posts: 82
    Lots of interesting thoughts, made me think.

I think i thought that if i found my passion, that would compensate for other things that are no there in my life. The last couple of months, my life has been pretty much go to office, and when im not in the office i almost dont get out of my apartment. I know that is not ok, i just never been able to feel well around people and may i've given up trying to feel ok, so im pretty much by myself now.

I guess there really isnt another choise but to keep trying.. i dont know, i need to change, i want to change my life. Maybe i can save some money and travel i dont know

anyway, thanks everyone for you replys i knew i had to come to the source of all good things, pearl jam and its people ;)
    Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    life is a torture chamber.
    enjoy the enduring.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    I endure the time I spend at work. When outside of work, I try to enjoy every minute that I can.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i enjoy endurance events. Tour De France is on at the moment... those guys are mental!

anyway, how can you not enjoy life? unless of course you are an accountant?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    edited July 2010
    Right now, i can't say i am enjoying or enduring life. i have had a crazy couple of months.

this has been the last month for me.

go to work, listen to people's problems for 10 hours, leave work and go visit my mom in the hospital who is dying of cancer. stay at the hospital til around 2 in the morning then go home for a couple of hours of sleep and them go back to work.

I have been in a rut for a while now and usually when i feel this way i go away for a little r and r but i can't do that right now because of my mom.

all i got right now is posting here on the board about hockey. how sad is that?
    Post edited by fife on
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    Enjoy!

Life epochs I may endure, but life I enjoy :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Yes.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    fife wrote:
    Right now, i can't say i am enjoying or enduring life. i have had a crazy couple of months.

go to work, listen to people's problems for 10 hours, leave work and go visit my mom in the hospital who is dying of cancer. stay at the hospital til around 2 in the morning then go home for a couple of hours of sleep and them go back to work.

I have been in a rut for a while now and usually when i feel this way i go away for a little r and r but i can't do that right now because of my mom.

This is a trial for you. It sounds like you're really caught in this rut.
    Can you carve out any time for yourself? Does the hospital have a social worker who can help find some support for you?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    fife wrote:

Can you carve out any time for yourself? Does the hospital have a social worker who can help find some support for you?

I just finished a project for work this week so work is letting me take a week off before my next project starts so next week i am off work which is great because it all honestly, i am doing nothing at work and that rare for me. the funny part is that i actually am a social worker and i am friends with the social worker at the hospital. it reality i think i add more pressure on myself and my family puts pressure on me just because of the fact that i am a social worker.
    fife wrote:
    fife wrote:

I just finished a project for work this week so work is letting me take a week off before my next project starts so next week i am off work which is great because it all honestly, i am doing nothing at work and that rare for me. the funny part is that i actually am a social worker and i am friends with the social worker at the hospital. it reality i think i add more pressure on myself and my family puts pressure on me just because of the fact that i am a social worker.

It's hard to separate from the role. I've been in that position before as the only nurse in my immediate family. Very difficult. And awkward when you're friends with the hospital staff.

Can you get away just for yourself, just for a day? Even if it's somewhere local, see a couple of movies, go out to dinner _ something that might help take your mind off things.
    Can you carve out any time for yourself? Does the hospital have a social worker who can help find some support for you?[/quote]

I just finished a project for work this week so work is letting me take a week off before my next project starts so next week i am off work which is great because it all honestly, i am doing nothing at work and that rare for me. the funny part is that i actually am a social worker and i am friends with the social worker at the hospital. it reality i think i add more pressure on myself and my family puts pressure on me just because of the fact that i am a social worker.[/quote]

It's hard to separate from the role. I've been in that position before as the only nurse in my immediate family. Very difficult. And awkward when you're friends with the hospital staff.

Can you get away just for yourself, just for a day? Even if it's somewhere local, see a couple of movies, go out to dinner _ something that might help take your mind off things.[/quote]

i have some time off next week and i am hoping to just take a afternoon to go golfing on my own or something. from what the doctors have told me, this situation will be over very soon.
    I'm sorry to hear that. What an awful time for you. But I'm sure it will be a comfort to you going forward to know that you were able to spend so much time with her. So hard to balance that with the need to take care of yourself so you can be there for her...
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    If you are just enduring your life. Drop what your doing. Go hitchhiking. I have never had more excitement in my life then when Ive been on the road. Every single car that stops for me is just as exciting as the last. You never know the type of person your going to meet. Do it. It's your life. You live once. Make the best of it.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I am enduring in all aspects right now.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I wish I could just say enjoy. There are some things I enjoy, but a lot I'm enduring. There are some specific things (work, estate work) which if they weren't happening I'd be enjoying life a lot more.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • matabelematabele Posts: 277
    BinGnarly wrote:
    If you are just enduring your life. Drop what your doing. Go hitchhiking. I have never had more excitement in my life then when Ive been on the road. Every single car that stops for me is just as exciting as the last. You never know the type of person your going to meet. Do it. It's your life. You live once. Make the best of it.
    :D:D:D
    There are so many simple joys on this journey, I have walked to the edge of town with $50 in my pocket and returned a year later, Neil Young tells the story in White Line.