Options

EDMONTON OILERS - 2010/2011

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Is July too early for this thread? :lol: I keep trying to derail other hockey threads with Oil talk, so I thought not...Most of the regs from past Oiler threads have been awol from the board for a while, so I hope I’m not stuck talking to myself about the team. Seems to be a buzz around the league about what’s going on in Edmonton, so hopefully even if the usual suspects aren’t around, some of you will still be willing to talk Oilers hockey with me :)

Lots to discuss, lots to speculate on….BUSY off season.

1. Did they make the right call in the Hall/Seguin saga? If you’re an Oiler fan you’re prob tired of talking about this by now.

2. Where does Hall play? Centre or wing? Who do you see him playing with?

3. Will they try to find another high-end talent to play with him, or are we going to see what we've got first, develop for a couple years, and worry about the D with our free agent endeavors?

4. How will the Souray drama end? Can you see him playing for us this year, and would you be ok with that? If not....where's he going, and is he worth anything after his tirade and injuries?

5. Who will wear the “C”? Will anyone?

6. Are we ok between the pipes?

7. What do you think of canning Quinn and handing the reins to Renney? Will Edmonton fans still yell “SHOOT” when Steve Smith is introduced as an assistant coach? :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i heard you guys were relocating to New Orleans
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    i heard you guys were relocating to New Orleans
    Oilers / Oil...New Orleans....Oil....I think I get it. Gulf....Golf....
    Oilers relocating to Golf? hmmm There is a decent joke in there somewhere.
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    GO OILERS!!!! :D
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i tried. good luck on your up coming season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Is July too early for this thread? :lol: I keep trying to derail other hockey threads with Oil talk, so I thought not...Most of the regs from past Oiler threads have been awol from the board for a while, so I hope I’m not stuck talking to myself about the team. Seems to be a buzz around the league about what’s going on in Edmonton, so hopefully even if the usual suspects aren’t around, some of you will still be willing to talk Oilers hockey with me :)

Lots to discuss, lots to speculate on….BUSY off season.

1. Did they make the right call in the Hall/Seguin saga? If you’re an Oiler fan you’re prob tired of talking about this by now.

2. Where does Hall play? Centre or wing? Who do you see him playing with?

3. Will they try to find another high-end talent to play with him, or are we going to see what we've got first, develop for a couple years, and worry about the D with our free agent endeavors?

4. How will the Souray drama end? Can you see him playing for us this year, and would you be ok with that? If not....where's he going, and is he worth anything after his tirade and injuries?

5. Who will wear the “C”? Will anyone?

6. Are we ok between the pipes?

7. What do you think of canning Quinn and handing the reins to Renney? Will Edmonton fans still yell “SHOOT” when Steve Smith is introduced as an assistant coach? :D

I really like the oilers team. they got some good young teams. I think picking Hall was a good pick. him and eberle (?) and him have a good relationship even though i hear that Eberle is not a great skater. I would put hall with hemsky and see how that goes.

2) you have like 20 million with the cap, i would wait to see what you have and go from there. i have said this before but i can see the Oilers going for someone like Zack parisa next year.

sadly souray will still play out his contract with the oilers. there really is no team that will pay for him at that price rate but who knows. there is still the flames.

firing quinn was a mistake in my opinion.
  • Options
    fife wrote:

I really like the oilers team. they got some good young teams. I think picking Hall was a good pick. him and eberle (?) and him have a good relationship even though i hear that Eberle is not a great skater. I would put hall with hemsky and see how that goes.

2) you have like 20 million with the cap, i would wait to see what you have and go from there. i have said this before but i can see the Oilers going for someone like Zack parisa next year.

sadly souray will still play out his contract with the oilers. there really is no team that will pay for him at that price rate but who knows. there is still the flames.

Did you hear that about Souray or is that your opinion? I'd be surprised if they wanted him back. What he did was inexcusable. He will be lucky if he doesn't get lynched if he comes back. What Pronger did was bad, but the Souray crap was ten times worse. At least Pronger didn't trash the team or city (well, not much...and not until after the backlash - he didn't blame the team for his wanting out). Souray publicly criticized a team and management group he was still employed by. If the idiot wanted out, he didn't do himself any favours by making himself an untradeable, selfish pariah.

I was told that Quinn was not liked by the young players...he was detached, sat at the front of the plane/bus, never socialized or talked to any of the players....surprised me to hear that as I always thought he had a rep for the opposite - being good with the young guys.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    :D Thanks!
    :wave:
  • Options
    fife wrote:

Did you hear that about Souray or is that your opinion? I'd be surprised if they wanted him back. What he did was inexcusable. He will be lucky if he doesn't get lynched if he comes back. What Pronger did was bad, but the Souray crap was ten times worse. At least Pronger didn't trash the team or city (well, not much...and not until after the backlash - he didn't blame the team for his wanting out). Souray publicly criticized a team and management group he was still employed by. If the idiot wanted out, he didn't do himself any favours by making himself an untradeable, selfish pariah.

I was told that Quinn was not liked by the young players...he was detached, sat at the front of the plane/bus, never socialized or talked to any of the players....surprised me to hear that as I always thought he had a rep for the opposite - being good with the young guys.

no i have not heard that about Souray its just my belief. i just don't see that many options for the oiler concerning him.

I have heard that about quinn too while he was the coach here in Toronto but he did well with the kids in the juniors before so who knows. also i don't think they replace him with someone better.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469

GO LEAFS GO

HEHEHEHE
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    :D Thanks!

• Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Your team is on the right track, especially having chosen Hall with the 1st choice.....simply put, the kid is a proven winner. I've had the priviledge of seeing his talents first-hand here in Windsor and the buzz this team has created over the last couple of years has been a breath of fresh air in an otherwise bleak economical situation in this town. Back-to-back Memorial Cups didn't seem possible early on in the playoffs this year but Hall's dominance almost single-handedly brought us back from a 3-0 deficit against Kitchener in the second round.....get him surrounded with some other good young talent (Sam Gagner, Cogliano, Hemsky, Penner) and roll the dice.....btw, i think he's more effective on the wing
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BLACK35 wrote:
    GO LEAFS GO

HEHEHEHE
    man, I sooooo hope Seguin performs for you guys this year. You've needed a true rebuild for decades, and he looks like the cornerstone, franchise-type guy the Leafs need to build a team around. Oh shit, wait....nevermind :P

maynardsux - your post is exactly why I couldn't wait to make this thread! Love reading that stuff...
    Edmonton is HYPED. We had billboards all over town welcoming him the day after the draft...something like 600 people showed up to see him take a leisurely skate when he got here...

He IS a proven winner... with Eberle and Magnus Parjari-Svenson or whoeverthefuck that Swedish kid is, and all that cap space...the future is lookin pretty bright! Cogs is constantly being mentioned as trade bait, and Gagne isn't a slam-dunk after last year...but I still think we've got a nucleus in place to be a much improved team moving forward.
  • Options
    There was a show on TSN on draft day called Oil Change, about the team's rebuilding effort..I missed it....The Oilers official forum has a discussion going on about whether or not it is supposed to be a series, or if it was a one-time thing....some think it is a six part series that will follow the club thru the entire season...hope so, that would be awesome!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    edmonton still has a team??
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Some of you fuckers just HAVE to post in EVERY thread, don'tcha? :D:lol:
  • Options

Well who in their right mind would admit to being a Leafs fan and start their own thread ;):lol:
  • Options

Well who in their right mind would admit to being a Leafs fan and start their own thread ;):lol:
    Ugh, its hard to trash talk after last season, but....its the Leafs, too easy ;) I mean...even with the opposite draft-incentive in effect, they barely finished ahead of us. Then again....they prob tried to tank it to spite Burke, Im sure the team know as well as any of us what a loser he is...
  • Options
    Well tansi tansi to all
    Oil beat the Canuckleheads 3-2 last night, it was mainly their rooks but a few vets played, play the lightening tonight at 7, games on tsn. Go OIL!!!!
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469

If thats what you want to call it :lol::lol::lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options

if us non edmonton fans didn't post in this thread, you would be talking to yourself
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

if us non edmonton fans didn't post in this thread, you would be talking to yourself

:lol: good point....fucker :P

I mentioned the Oil Change documentary earlier in this thread, it's on the Oilers website now..part 1:
    http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... e?id=72932

So...rumour du jour.....Souray for Commodore?

Kids are lookin good so far!
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    4-0. Hope we can keep this up when the regular season starts on the 7th, they play again tonight.
    Go Oil!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    BLACK35 wrote:

You're laughing at them?
    Really?
    Lol!
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Rygar wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

You're laughing at them?
    Really?
    Lol!

:lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    4-0. Hope we can keep this up when the regular season starts on the 7th, they play again tonight.
    Go Oil!!!!!!!!!!! :D

YAY!! Just remembered the Oilers are playing the Lames tonight. GO OILERS!!!!!
  • Options
    Can't ask for much more than that game!

Has there EVER been a nicer first NHL goal? Eberle can DANGLE:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At9Dd8S8nIY

SMackintyre's KO was devastating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xv6v7p7NEQ

And a shutout for Khabby. ya!
  • Options

congrats on your win last night. you showed how slow the flames are. jordan goal was a great move and hall played very good and confident. good look on the rest of the season.
  • Options

Such a great game :D It sucks being two hours behind though!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Go to TSN's video player and watch the "Who Does He Think He Is?"

They did that on Sportscentre but didn't say it was a gag beforehand, I was losing my mind lol
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Go to TSN's video player and watch the "Who Does He Think He Is?"

They did that on Sportscentre but didn't say it was a gag beforehand, I was losing my mind lol
    http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip358537
    Finally logged on from home and got to search for this...
    That was CLASSIC!!!! I laughed harder at that than I have at anything I've seen on SNL in the last 15 years. Thanks for the head's up!
    Love that they're doing stuff like this, keeping it light. Cool that Eberle and Hall are roomies too, didn't know that.