Desensitize

pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Last evening JB and I sat down to have dinner and chose a new show we recorded from the DVR
Rizzoli & Isles. Nice, a new show and its about two attractive smart career gals.
One is a homicide detective, the other a medical examiner.
Cool, this should be good.

Feeling pretty brave as of late watching shows like Saving Grace, Rookie Blue, an occasional Bones or CSI,
I'm confident I can handle this show, though "scary" has never been part of my repertoire.
What I soon found out was that this new show is nothing like those shows.

It opens with a cruel torture, rape, murder, abduction, of a husband and wife,
this in just the first 5 minutes. This portrayed very realistically.
Eating dinner had now become a chore and I was feeling more than a little squirmy.
We debated finding something lighter but thinking we had maybe been through the worse
we should give it a fair shake.

Story-line traces the history of the detective and a serial killer now in prison
who has trained another psychopath to continue in his footsteps, great!
Just what the world and TV needs, more serial killers.
The episode, attempting to take it to the limits, goes on to include Necrophilia.
Was this truly necessary? Bodies being left in the woods to be "visited".
A place my mind just does not want to go to, most especially during dinner, ugh.

Pour some more wine, its just a TV show, but is it really?
No, it's a mirror to the ugly side of the human race, of the human mind.
It's beginning to affect the evening.

Well, we made it through some anxious moments and the entire show.
Good to know the heroine prevailed.
Unfortunately the killer lives on for future torment
being that Rizzoli's morals would not allow her to shoot him in cold blood,
big mistake but good for future episodes.

So here I am to ponder.
I feel things like this and keep them with me far too long,
like a bad dream.
I guess this can be debated as to whether it is good or bad
but I would rather keep the sensitive me.

I would also rather keep the world around me sensitive.
Keep it feeling, caring, keep it shocked by the horrors.

But with each bombardment of a new generation of exceedingly gruesome horror
this seems more unlikely.
It seems likely the human race will continue to become desensitized.
While growing to be less sensitive to the pain and violence against each other
we may slowly even lose this war against evil,
because we must care to win.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    This is why i watch the Disney Channel.
  • Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,627
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    :thumbup: :clap:
    My wife feels the same way, she has never and will never watch scary movies or war movies, i have to wait until she goes to bed if i wana watch one. but i don't beleive in censorship, which is why we choose to not veiw these things, i've never seen the Saw movies or Hostel movies etc. <really enjoyed hurt locker though>. But i have lots of freinds that love those movies. The News is scary enough for me.
  • I never watch horror movies, they scare the bejesus out of me, and I avoid war movies purposely. I can't say it's because it will desensitize me, I have too much of an imagination, and I wouldn't sleep for weeks.

I love cop shows and suspense movies, I just don't feel I need to witness the gory details of murder or war. I couldn't even watch tropic thunder because of the opening scene with the head.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I too have a hard time watching horrible crimes on t.v. - theres enough of this in the newspaper - in real life going on.

I agree - the Disney Channel is the best .... :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I'm a fan of scary ghost movies but not the gorry one's. I remember watching the first Saw movie and was very disturbed by it. I do enjoy murder reality shows like the First 48 or American Justice though.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Sounds like a book, or 100, that I've read.
    This stuff doesn't bother me, don't ask me why.
    I like this detective serial killer, edge of your seat kind of thing, but I'd much rather read about it than see it all over tv.....for three reasons.
    one...i don't want to see all the gore, my imagination does it well enough, thank you very much
    and second.....the picture i have in my head of the characters always gets ruined when i see the movie/tv show
    and third..and MOST importantly..I don't want my grandkids watching this stuff...my kids are grown so they watch what they want...but I notice, that a lot of prime time programming is ALMOST as bad as cable stuff..

Seeing a movie/tv show after I've read the book, ruined! (that's what happened when i read dean koontz's odd thomas series (even if you don't care for koontz's older stuff, you really should check out odd thomas...very cool stuff)....well....i do have to make one exception...the first couple of harry potter (hey ive got kids and grandkids) movies were true to the written versions..and somehow, somehow, they actually got the picture in my head to carry over to the picture on the screen..good one!

anyway, i much prefer paranormal.....possibly realistic stuff that's a bit on the scary/paranormal side without all the blood, guts and gore.... now that stuff scares me a little, especially since ...well, that's for another thread

I DO agree that it doesn't need to be all over the tv

just as i believe that all that SEX doesn't need to be a part of every darned tv show out there.

i mean i know stuff like true blood, etc. is on premium cable, but holy geeeezzuuzzzz freakin keerriiiiissst.....i embarrass my own self watching that stuff sometimes...looking around to see if any of the kids might be peering down the steps...(btw...its not my show..its my daughter's...but anyway)

stuff like that...its all over regular broadcast tv these days too....sex, violence, language, general lack of morals or social values...all over tv...EVEN...or should i say ...ESPECIALLY CARTOONS!

its all way out of hand.

and ever catch a daytime soap or a "talk" show....O.M.G.!

I'm all for free speech, making a buck, freedom in broadcasting or whatever the hell kind of protection it is...but man o man, no wonder our kids are the way they are....for real
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    phineas-and-ferb.jpg
    Might i suggest Phineas and Ferb a wholesome show about : the series follows two kindhearted suburban[1] stepbrothers[2] on summer vacation. Each day the boys do the same exact thing, often bringing them into conflict with their sister, Candace. The series follows a standard plot system; running gags occur every episode, and the B-Plot almost always features Perry the Platypus (A.KA. Agent P), acting as a secret agent to fight an evil scientist named Heinz Doofenshmirtz. The two plots intersect at the end to erase all traces of the boys' project just before Candace can show it to their mother.

Great Musical number in every episode.

Hard to want to hurt someone when watching.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,716
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    phineas%20and%20ferb.png
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    phineas-and-ferb.jpg
    Might i suggest Phineas and Ferb a wholesome show about : the series follows two kindhearted suburban[1] stepbrothers[2] on summer vacation. Each day the boys do the same exact thing, often bringing them into conflict with their sister, Candace. The series follows a standard plot system; running gags occur every episode, and the B-Plot almost always features Perry the Platypus (A.KA. Agent P), acting as a secret agent to fight an evil scientist named Heinz Doofenshmirtz. The two plots intersect at the end to erase all traces of the boys' project just before Candace can show it to their mother.

I think show is ALWAYS on in the background at my house. I can sing the whole song............lol.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJPixie wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    phineas-and-ferb.jpg

I think show is ALWAYS on in the background at my house. I can sing the whole song............lol.

oh geez i have to deal with SPROUT
    and Barney...ughhhh...I cannot STAND Barney
    I think he's probably a pedophile under that purple suit :twisted:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Being a crime victim myself, I watch these shows a lot, especially true life horror stories. I can't explain why :roll: ... sometimes it can be too much to take in... unfortunately, this is the way the world is... violence makes for better ratings and movie goers...

Give me a funny movie or TV series any day, I'd much rather laugh... ;):lol:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's nice to keep it light when we have a choice, too much horrible stuff around, real life or otherwise.
    I agree laugh, its good for the soul. I'm gonna remember this and stick to the funnies, that's what I need, it does me good.
    I better get with it on the latest cartoons before Grandkids too, I know none of these! :oops:
    thanks all for sharing :D
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    StillHere wrote:
    Seeing a movie/tv show after I've read the book, ruined! (that's what happened when i read dean koontz's odd thomas series (even if you don't care for koontz's older stuff, you really should check out odd thomas...very cool stuff)....
    anyway, i much prefer paranormal.....possibly realistic stuff that's a bit on the scary/paranormal side without all the blood, guts and gore.... now that stuff scares me a little, especially since ...well, that's for another thread

I like Dean Koontz's older stuff more than any of his new stuff. I started reading his stuff in jr. high. Loved it. I don't like the newer stuff. Boring to me. I LOVE Horror. Movies, books. Love to be scared. Gore for gore? Boring. I love the paranormal stuff too.

That said, seeing any of it in reality would shock and scare the hell out of me. I don't think one is desensitized by seeing it on tv. I am more sensitive now that I'm older to those things but, I still don't think horror has the effect people think it does. Maybe on you but I wouldn't generalize that to everyone. They have to think up new horrible things to do on tv because people get bored of it, on tv. No one would get bored of seeing that stuff in reality. Because I like it on tv doesn't mean i wouldn't care if it was real and happened to someone.

People who get ideas or whatnot from the movies\tv\books, well they were just twisted to begin with and such is life and humanity. They don't need much to get them going in that direction anyhow. Blaming any type of media is a moot point.

I can't wait for the next GOOD scary movie!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Me to...

Well that and Selena Gomez (Who will be 18 on the 22nd, just sayin'). 8-)
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
    evenflow wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Me to...

Ew, didn't know you could make the disney channel feel slimy.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

Lizardjam wrote:

It's a gift. I can actually make anything slimy.

For example, the smiley I used, "cool", that's really a perv smiley. Look at it close. 8-)

evenflow wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

It's a gift. I can actually make anything slimy.

For example, the smiley I used, "cool", that's really a perv smiley. Look at it close. 8-)

Is it even creepier considering your av?

Congrats, you've discovered the one thing on the planet I try to shield from all sliminess. But please keep it on the DL, I've got a reputation to uphold. ;)

Okay, I'll admit, my daughter's the reason I have to watch the Disney channel. But come on, I gotta enjoy something from it. :D

evenflow wrote:
    Congrats, you've discovered the one thing on the planet I try to shield from all sliminess. But please keep it on the DL, I've got a reputation to uphold. ;)

Okay, I'll admit, my daughter's the reason I have to watch the Disney channel. But come on, I gotta enjoy something from it. :D

See, I always thought guys with daughters would not be as slimy as those without..... but I guess I might be wrong there.... :?

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Pandora, the moment a show crosses your feeling-like-this-is-unpleasant line, TURN IT OFF! That's what I do. I don't like watching things that are disgusting and negative and the stuff of nightmares.

UGH. It's better to keep these ugly TV fantasies out of a good mind and soul.

If something is making me feel upset because it's so spiritually ugly, I turn it off. No apologies. :?

{{{{Pandora}}}} <--hugs for Pandi
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    evenflow wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Me to...

There was a hot women thread a while back, i put Selena's pic on there, i got ripped by all 400,000 registered user's. Funny thing is i did more to break balls than anything, but she is gona be Beautiful Woman. i like good scripted T.V. with a Moral, like the stuff i grew up with. Your daughter's lucky in one way, i wish i had the Disney channel growing up. Also her dads a PJ fan. :D
    Lizardjam wrote:
    evenflow wrote:

See, I always thought guys with daughters would not be as slimy as those without..... but I guess I might be wrong there.... :?

He's playin with you.
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    evenflow wrote:

He's playin with you.

Oh I know, or i'd have been a lot meaner ;) Bring on the hot teenage boys on disney! ha! SOOO kidding!

You Do realize that's Jeff Ament by the way?
    For those of you with very young kids or Grand kids, i'd also recommend:

The Backyardigans

backyardigans.jpg

Lots of Immagination, singing and songs, but not to annoying! and moral equality between Boy and Girl and different ethnicities, but suttely, not in your face, just matter of fact kind of. Very intelligent childrens programming.
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Who's Jeff? What did I miss?
    I missed Jeff on here...no way...he's not here...
    I'm gullible, I know 8-) :roll:
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    KOYOURASS wrote:

Who's Jeff? What did I miss?
    I missed Jeff on here...no way...he's not here...
    I'm gullible, I know 8-) :roll:

Psst, the EvenFlow Dude, my evidence, looks like Jeff, if Jeff shaved, he's been here since 2003, Nobody's been here that long!, 7 years very few post, it doesn't take james-roday-psych.jpg to figure this out.
    KOYOURASS wrote:
    For those of you with very young kids or Grand kids, i'd also recommend:

The Backyardigans

backyardigans.jpg

Lots of Immagination, singing and songs, but not to annoying! and moral equality between Boy and Girl and different ethnicities, but suttely, not in your face, just matter of fact kind of. Very intelligent childrens programming.

i used to dislike the backyardigans..but now i kinda like them
    they do have some good storylines
    and pajanimals...i love "lullabye"
    and the kids sing it too.
    my "just barely" 2 yo grandson sings it soooo cute every night to me at bedtime
    i just love that :D
    peace,
    jo