Options

Unusual Favorite Songs

catschellercatscheller Posts: 228
edited July 2010 in The Porch
I'm going to come right out and be honest with all of you that although my "first" favorite PJ song was Alive and therefore it will always hold a special place in my heart, ever since I heard it for the first time, Glorified G has become my favorite song. Not because of anything serious like the lyrics or message, but I just freakin' love the guitar riffs in that song.

I also really love No Way. I've noticed that neither of these songs get much love at all around these parts. Does anyone else have any favorites that seem to be generally unpopular? Or am I just a weirdo?
Columbus, OH 6/24/03
Columbus, OH 5/6/10
Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    yours aren't "unpopular".. at least not among PJ fans..

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    yours aren't "unpopular".. at least not among PJ fans..

I guess it's just that on other threads about "dream setlists" or "songs you generally skip (if you skip any)" and such I've seen a lot of folks say that they skip Glorified G and I don't see it come up much on songs they wish they could see the band play. I've also seen a lot of comments from folks that they just can't get into No Way. So I felt like I was weird that those are two of my absolute favorites. :oops:
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Sad has always been one of my top favs. Only played it in Boston on this tour.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    Sleight of Hand is one of my all time favorites, and I think that might be a rare one among the bunch, as far as being a FAVORITE
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand is one of my all time favorites, and I think that might be a rare one among the bunch, as far as being a FAVORITE

Yes! That is what I meant! A favorite song that while generally appreciated since it is, after all, a PJ song, is not generally listed among the favorites. :D
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    --1/2 full
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Ghost is up in my list..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    sabreleaf wrote:
    Sad has always been one of my top favs. Only played it in Boston on this tour.

Sad is one of my top 5 PJ songs.

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591

Sleight of Hand is one of my all time favorites too.. incredible song :) Definitely in the Top 5.
  • Options
    pmasantospmasantos Posts: 4
    Get ready for a surprise!

One of my favorite song is... BUGS!

There is something in that song, i don't know what...
    Paulo Santos
  • Options
    MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    Leatherman doesn't get as much love as IMO it should
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    I gotta agree with both Glorified G and No Way. Love the riffs.

Other than that: (not in any particular order)

1. Habit
    2. Rival
    3. Grievance
    4. Big Wave
    5. Get Right
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,617
    Red mosquito!!! :D
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • Options
    I've always loved Whale Song. Not my favorite PJ song, but definitely a song I never tire of hearing. I love the groove to it and the guitar work.
  • Options
    pmasantos wrote:
    Get ready for a surprise!

One of my favorite song is... BUGS!

There is something in that song, i don't know what...

Hee! I had always just dismissed that track as not really a song, but just some fooling around. However, after listening to it for the first time in many years on the Philly boot and then listening to the recorded version several times, it's really growing on me too!
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Red mosquito!!! :D

I love this song, but every time i listen to it something bad happens to me that day, so i haven't listened to it in 6 months and i've been on a pretty good roll. Sad, because i love it, but i don't need the stress.
  • Options
    Nittany1bnNittany1bn Near Philadelphia Posts: 214
    love glorified g...that song and rearviewmirror are my all time (pearl jam) favorites; but my others are are smile, gone, come back, and all or none. i always feel like the tunes everyone loves the most aren't the ones i like best.
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    Happy When I'm Crying has been getting a lot of spins from me recently. I hardly ever hear it mentioned around here though.

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,248
    I agree w/ Sleight of Hand

Parting Ways
    Of The Girl

Binaural is so fucking underrated :evil:

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    seszenkaseszenka Posts: 3
    for me HOLD ON http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WFZ719pbHc i love it!!

btw, hello everyone! This is my first post :D
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    Blood.

I love the anger and the raw energy. It makes me wanna rip something to shreds. I LOVE IT.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Undone, Leavin Here, & Strangest Tribe
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

This is so great because for me... Undone ranks as one of my least favorites. This is what makes this thread so interesting and Pearl Jam so great. What one loves another hates.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I'm still here
    I'm open

love the spoken word songs. very jim morrison ish
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    TipJammer wrote:
    pandora wrote:

This is so great because for me... Undone ranks as one of my least favorites. This is what makes this thread so interesting and Pearl Jam so great. What one loves another hates.
    Undone reminds me of driving along the ocean with the top down, the melody, the way Eddie sings it. I find it a very soothing, freeing song.
    I think it is a Lost Dogs kind of night 8-)
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Ghost, Pilate, Parachutes. I don't see much love for Go, either.
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Really started to love Help,Help after hearing it live.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gub2rDV3wsk
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    Undone reminds me of driving along the ocean with the top down, the melody, the way Eddie sings it. I find it a very soothing, freeing song.
    I think it is a Lost Dogs kind of night 8-)[/quote]

I hear that... I think I'm just not a fan of its political roots. I remember when it came out... Bush era... post 9/11...I always felt like the lyrics sorta mashed into each other... discussing corporations ruling the day, election day and then surfing terms "building before it breaks" Its definitely a pleasant song with a nice melody... just didn't strike a chord with me in comparison to many others. I do love how Ed makes comparisons to elements of nature...ususally waves, but this one wasn't a home run for me.

...driving along the ocean with the top down ----> for me... the song for this is... Parachutes, Elderly Woman, Rise, or Driftin. Possibly Out of My mind too. Glad you made me think about that.
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    happy when im crying .. my all time favorite pearl jam song
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:
    happy when im crying .. my all time favorite pearl jam song

Where do I find this track? On a Xmas single?