R.I.P GEORGE STEINBRENNER "THE BOSS"

13»

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,739
    His first interview in 1993 after returning from the suspension:

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_window.p ... Id=4797829

Thanks for posting this.

As much as we all hate Waldman, she was really close to George and was responsible for helping Yogi and George reconcile.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Its sad that he supposedly had dimentia/alzheimers, and that he died...

but as a baseball fan I think he was terrible for the league.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613

i remember hearing about that.

classic article.
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    MayDay10 wrote:

so pushing for revenue sharing was bad for the league. Yea that was the boss who did that. So putting money back into the team and farm system was bad for the league. So creating his own network was bad for the league. He played within the rules and didn't pocket the money his team earned like other dickbag billionaire owners did. You can say he was a douchebag and ruled with a iron fist but he wanted to win and be the best. Isn't that the objective of sports to win or is it to be like the pirates and other teams and not win or give a shit.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    metsfan wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

so pushing for revenue sharing was bad for the league. Yea that was the boss who did that. So putting money back into the team and farm system was bad for the league. So creating his own network was bad for the league. He played within the rules and didn't pocket the money his team earned like other dickbag billionaire owners did. You can say he was a douchebag and ruled with a iron fist but he wanted to win and be the best. Isn't that the objective of sports to win or is it to be like the pirates and other teams and not win or give a shit.

I also found out today after watching hours and hours of ESPN and YES that he contributed so much to charity and people in the Tampa area.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    The Onion's Reporting:
    George Steinbrenner Dead After Firing Underperforming Heart
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    his charity work was endless

say what you want but he was just a giving man who wanted to win for ny at all costs
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Newch91 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I also found out today after watching hours and hours of ESPN and YES that he contributed so much to charity and people in the Tampa area.
    even saved a middle school sports program down in tampa

My fave story bout him today is the one peter gammons told bout how the red sox owners were dancing on the yankee stadium field after 04 alcs and the boss was watching it from his box. Security guard told the red sox owners to stop dancing or else the boss is gonna pissed at me. The boss saw this all happening and phoned down to the heads grounds keeper and said they can keep dancing cause it was an honor for them to be dancing on the yankee stadium grass.

I know that will get lost but to me that's the one that has stood out the most

Breathing is 1st, winning is 2nd-the boss
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

I heard gammons tell that story on the fan today too, metsfan. Gammons had some very nice things to say including a story about how he helped build a college baseball field and how gammons was embarrassed to ask him for his help, but Steinbrenner insisted.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    When they rebuilt Boshamer Stadium here at Carolina a few years ago, Steinbrenner donated 1 million dollars to the cause. The entrance courtyard is named for him.
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    When they rebuilt Boshamer Stadium here at Carolina a few years ago, Steinbrenner donated 1 million dollars to the cause. The entrance courtyard is named for him.

I think that is the stadium I was referring to that gammons was talking about
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    NCBRI wrote:

I think that is the stadium I was referring to that gammons was talking about

Probably. Gammons went to J-School at Carolina and George's daughter and maybe a grand child or 2 went to school here also.
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:

that about sums him up x100
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • BlahBlah Posts: 469
    I didn't like him
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    posted something yesterday on facebook about george and my aunt that lives in tampa responded with this:

"George will be missed in Fl. He was one of the first to load up a tractor trailer truck with supplies and personally drive to Homestead to help after hurricane Andrew. He also provides FREE college educations to the children of police officers who were killed on duty. Can't tell you how many Little League teams he saved in FL. He only bragged about his Yankees, never his generosity."
    memorial at the stadium maybe ?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    memorial at the stadium maybe ?

phils did that for harry kalas last year.

but its only happened only a handful of times in the history of the game...i can see them doing it though.
    www.myspace.com