New Eyeballs in the Morning (UPDATE)

Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife and I are having our eyes done with Lasek in the morning. Going to be rid of the glasses that have been stuck on my nose for the last 29 years!!!

Our son M is our designated driver after the procedure, and daughter H wants to go to watch the whole thing. They play it in the waiting room on high def of course. You can even get a copy on dvd for entertaining the house guests later on...

Supposed to get a little green happy pill when we get there to take the edge off, but I think I could use one now. Couldnt sleep for sh*t last night. Had crazy dreams about eye doctors and an owl. I only had a beer and a half too.

I'll report in later, maybe a day or two, to tell you how it went.
"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Best money I've ever spent. I've had 20/20 for over 4 years now. I was pretty much legally blind before.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i've had a few freinds go through this, no worries, your gona love you new eyesite. :D
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    you named your kids letters of the alphabet? :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,627
    :lol::lol:
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    At least they didn't go f and u
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    There like Bond Villian's :twisted:
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989

Oh yeah, that was some forward thinkin' on our part. Depending on the emotion, their name can change from an affectionate term of endearment to something we should only utter under our breath. :lol: As long as it starts with M or H they know who we are talking to/about.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    You'll have to tell us how it went.

Wish I could do it, but I don't have great corneas either (like the other poster).
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

Yes, they live on Sesame Street.

Lasek was a great move and is nothing to worry about.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

laser + eyes = no fucking way
    norm wrote:

Don't forget the knife to slice open your eye! :D

Really though, I'd rather have 10 lasiks done than one trip to the dentist. You're in and out of the room in 10 minutes and the procedure is painless and only a minute or so each eye.

I'm not saying I wasn't scared shitless, but that was a good thing as it kept me frozen with fear while they operated. lol
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:

Really though, I'd rather have 10 lasiks done than one trip to the dentist. You're in and out of the room in 10 minutes and the procedure is painless and only a minute or so each eye.
    I'd rather have another Vascectomy than have someone come at my eyes...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Ya, the scalper procedure freaks me the fuck out. Laser only, I'd have no problem....
    I'm too vain to wear glasses all the time...I'm trying to get used to contacts right now....one got stuck the other day.... I think I was trying to pull the outside layer of my fucking eyeball off instead of the lense. Not exactly a fan of contacts either.
    I'm really considering lasik....don't understand why it's not covered by health plans. I've never heard of anyone having anything but positive things to say about the procedure...other than commenting that their eyes were typically drier after than before.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

yep!

when i read there was a 1% chance of blindness i realized i can out up with contacts and glasses...been doing it most of my life anyway
    edited July 2010
    norm wrote:

yep!

when i read there was a 1% chance of blindness i realized i can out up with contacts and glasses...been doing it most of my life anyway

Find a good doctor and its practically 0%.. those 1% are mostly people who had complications. I believe no one has ever gone completely blind from it, but not everyone can have the surgury. A good doctor will scan and take a picture of the inside of your eye and do prep procedures to make sure it is safe.

The doctor I went to performed over 40,000 procedures and never had a problem.. Just make sure you buy the warranty. ;)
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    I can see that as the jizz could glue your eyes shut.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:

Wow, you can't even see the line from where you are...
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Poncier wrote:

Maybe if they got Lasik...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Poncier wrote:
    LMFAO!!!

I'm trying not to draw attantion to my cubicle here, but I can't stop laughing!
    Poncier wrote:

Maybe if they got Lasik...

Touche.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Oh, go get your eyes cooked, you bunch of babies. Mmm, smells like a bbq... of burning hair.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Ya, the scalper procedure freaks me the fuck out. Laser only, I'd have no problem....
    I'm too vain to wear glasses all the time...I'm trying to get used to contacts right now....one got stuck the other day.... I think I was trying to pull the outside layer of my fucking eyeball off instead of the lense. Not exactly a fan of contacts either.
    I'm really considering lasik....don't understand why it's not covered by health plans. I've never heard of anyone having anything but positive things to say about the procedure...other than commenting that their eyes were typically drier after than before.

It took a while for me to get used to contacts, now I use both contacts and glasses alternately. There are only a few private health insurers here that cover it too. Which really is rediculous, they must have something going with the optometrists/optical dispensers. Although we can claim back via our tax returns thru the "Net medical expenses" for anything that exceeds $1500. You only get back 20% but it's better than a kick in the guts I suppose. :roll:
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I'M BACK!

And I can see!

Not too big of a deal, total in/out time was about 2 hours for both of us. The Valium didnt do much at all, but my wife seemed to relax right away. Might have something to do with the same dosage for both of us and I am twice her size...

We had everything done in Salt Lake City at Hoopes Vision, and our local eye Doctor is doing the follow ups.

The first procedure (intra-lasik) was a breeze. This is where the flap on the cornea is made. They dont use a knife at all, all Lasers. A little suction on the eyeball and 10 seconds of holding still while looking into the center light. No burning smell at all. Laser created bubbles. go sit down in a massage chair for 15 minutes and relax...

The final procedure is a little more nerve racking. Probably the worse part is when the flap is folded out of the way. Mostly uncomfortable and weird. Everything goes blurry now. Still only about 18 seconds for each eye. Lay down on the bench, stare at the green light and they count down the time remaining, no biggie, The Dr and nurses talking you through the procedure. You can hear the clinking of the laser, and a slight smell like singed hair, very slight. The straightening iron my daughter uses smells worse when it gets too hot. Irrigate the eye, put the flap down. Get up...

SEE THE FRIKKIN CLOCK ON THE WALL!!!!!

Go put your shoes back on, keep your peepers closed for about 10 minutes. Slap on some sweet sunglasses provided by the Dr. and away we go.

Our son drove us home. 2 hour drive with eyedrops every 15 minutes. Took a nap when we got home, and woke up in time to watch the Home Run Derby and Softball game. I did take 3 Advil.

Our follow up this morning was awesome. My longtime eye doctor was amazed that I walked in not even wearing sunglasses. They did a quick test to see where I was at. Can you read the bottom line? Oh hell yes I did. Then out of curiosity she asks if I can see the next line that she chooses... I read em off like a champ. She was like WOW, thats 20/15! My Doctor looks at the flap and is amazed at how smooth the new procedure is, actually keeps looking for any rough spots at all and is quite astonished that thy were able to do the Lasek with my amount of astigmatism.

Crazy.

The kids have both commented as they just walked passed me and thought I was typing blindly in front of the computer... Neither of them have ever seem me without my goggles on.

I love it so far. Oh, and BTW, I 've had the snip done too, and I think this was easier and the benefits are as good or better :)
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Glad it went well.

I've thought about this for years since I am blind as a bat w/o my contacts but last year my eye dr gave me 1 contact for near and 1 for far so it has worked out pretty well so far as not needing reading glasses.

How's the close up D? you need reading glasses?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    Glad it went well.

I've thought about this for years since I am blind as a bat w/o my contacts but last year my eye dr gave me 1 contact for near and 1 for far so it has worked out pretty well so far as not needing reading glasses.

How's the close up D? you need reading glasses?

No glasses needed for reading! Maybe in a few years though...
    lets test your success

Go put your shoes back on,
    Why do you have to remove your shoes for eye surgery?
    Poncier wrote:

The Dr. goes in through the heel, so there is no scar.
    Poncier wrote:

The Dr. goes in through the heel, so there is no scar.
    Good thing he didn't ask him to take his boxers off!! :shock: