Riot Act-What are the positives?

Comments

• electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    DangDang wrote:
    Riot Act is definitely an acquired taste.

Definitely, it is NOT a likeable album the first five listens or so, but then it starts growing on you, and growing on you.

Then it jumps up and starts beating you up and then it turns into one of those giant snakes that wraps around you and squeezes you--what's it called? Yeah, that one. Then it grows vines all around you. And then it takes you on a boat to where the Wild Things are. And then the Wild Things say that you are the Love Boat Captain. And all cheese melts away and floats off to sea. Then its just you and music.

The only way tha you could dance proper to 1/2 full is to stop drop and roll. And then flail. And then cover as wide an area as possible where you are just above laying down but just below levitating. Take some legs out.

When you hear Cropduster you remember man, in 6/4, 9/8, and 7/4 and 4/4 time, that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

The best thing about RIot Act is that Boom creates a giant halo of sound arond the songs. You don't hear him playing. He just makes an all-hallowed sound of reverbitating depth, height, width, and glow.

This album is just crazy. No, you're not supposed to like it the first five or seven times you hear it. You can ONLY like it after much repetition. Just keep playing it. There are so many grooves in each song, you HAVE to repetitively play it so that your brain can pick up on all the intricacies. I say give your neurotransmitters and neuroconnectors and myelin protein sheath a chance, man!

Keep playing it. The rewards are great.

Bushleaguer to me was extremely boring the first 10 times then it started growing, now its reached awesomeness.

There is one song that is still a seedling. All or none. I'm not giving up on it, but meanwhile, I'm certainly not going to put it down.

C'mon. Pearl Jam does not let down.

:shock: where are the hypnotic jungle book snake eyes? ~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551

At the beginning of your frickin question.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,922
    StoneAment wrote:
    No love for Ghost?

Other positives Save You, Thumbing My Way, Get Right, All or None, You Are.

I have lots of love for Ghost. :) I like the lyrics and the sound, was very happy to hear it at Philly 1.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • This album was a hard one to get into right off...
    after all these years listening though...mostly live versions
    I LOVE IT!

however...
    yield, vitalogy, binaural, avacado album and backspacer are my favs.
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    riot act has always been one of my favorite albums. After vitalogy and no code but those 3 albums are so different that it's difficult to rank them.
    I love the vibe of riot act. its production.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    DangDang wrote:

sorry..
    i meant the actual little moving swirly things ~

;)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    It is a Pearl Jam record so it must be a positive!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I really love the bit between the start of Can't Keep and the end of All Or None... :mrgreen:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Not really. Nothing on there reminds me if Soundgarden. Maybe have to be in a jazz drumming state of mind.

uote="GS163319"]You need to be in a Soundgarden state of mind to get Riot Act...

It's brilliant - but not always something to listen to. Following Uncle Neil's discography, not everything has to be the most listenable or accessible. Some works hit at very specific psychological times. Riot Act is like this. It's music for a very distinct mood.[/quote]
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I probably listen to Riot Act and Yield the most in the car. I think Yield is the yin to Riot Act's yang. To me, Yield is polished, light and breezy whereas Riot Act is jagged and dirty. Riot Act is definitely my favorite of the two.

When I listen to Riot Act, I feel as if I'm intruding on something private. Yield is more of an open invite.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• with the exception of Cant Keep, it gets off to a brutal start for me (the LBC-Cropduster-Ghost stretch is horrible and i actually removed them from my personal riot act). but the second half (or a bit more) is so much better and i didnt realize it for a few years.

its a flawed album, but there is still a lot to like.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    DangDang wrote:

:shock: where are the hypnotic jungle book snake eyes? ~ WELL HERE'S ONE

sorry..
    i meant the actual little moving swirly things ~ AND RIGHT THERE IS THE OTHER ;)
    HEY!

BEAT IT MR. WINKY FACE!

:cry:

OMG! I MADE MR. WINKY FACE CRY!! I'M SORRY MR. WINKY FACE!!

;)
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I really like it, not my favourite, but the drums setting off when I put the cd on I get a little butterfly of excitement.
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    I absolutely LOVE Riot Act. It is so compact; Ive spent months straight listening to that album, just like I am doing with Backspacer. Unfortunately, it has two of their worst songs of all time in BushLeaguer and 1/2 Full. Oh and Thumbing My Way sucks too. I have never seen a more misplaced song on any album. Nonetheless, Ill defend that album forever!
  • Riot Act was the first new release from PJ after I became a fan and for that reason I will probably always cherish it. I suppose looking back it could have turned me off them but it didn't. There was just something I liked about it almost immediately. Great mood and great songs.

Personal favourites Save You(live version from Sate College 03 gets me everytime 'LET'S PICK UP YOUR SOULLLLLLL') You Are, LBC, Green Disease. Cropduster and Help, Help maybe aren't their greatest tracks but they work well on this album if that makes sense.

I think I will blast this tommorow. Great thread.
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,243
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    I dislike it because it sounds so phoned in. Eddie doesn't sound somber, he just sounds like he doesn't even want to be in the studio because he has something better to do. There's a few decent songs, like Save You, You Are, etc but it's PJ's most uninspired sounding album, in my opinion.

Bingo. I think LBC and Help, Help are two of their absolute worst and cheesiest songs and Green Disease has become uber hypocritical with the way they are conducting their business these days. Bushleaguer is terrible from a song perspective but a funny subject matter. I love You Are and I dig 1/2 Full. Save You is a great tune but I would like to see it retired from selists for a tour or two. Cropduster sucked the life out of the Spectrum Night 3.

Overall BP said it best....it does sound rather phoned in.

I couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of their most inspired/emotional sounding records. I actually love LBC, Green Disease, and Bushleaguer. Not to mention Arc and Save You two of my favorite pieces they've ever put out. I still spin this record the most right behind "No Code and Yield."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    I dislike it because it sounds so phoned in. Eddie doesn't sound somber, he just sounds like he doesn't even want to be in the studio because he has something better to do. There's a few decent songs, like Save You, You Are, etc but it's PJ's most uninspired sounding album, in my opinion.

Bingo. I think LBC and Help, Help are two of their absolute worst and cheesiest songs and Green Disease has become uber hypocritical with the way they are conducting their business these days. Bushleaguer is terrible from a song perspective but a funny subject matter. I love You Are and I dig 1/2 Full. Save You is a great tune but I would like to see it retired from selists for a tour or two. Cropduster sucked the life out of the Spectrum Night 3.

Overall BP said it best....it does sound rather phoned in.

I couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of their most inspired/emotional sounding records. I actually love LBC, Green Disease, and Bushleaguer. Not to mention Arc and Save You two of my favorite pieces they've ever put out. I still spin this record the most right behind "No Code and Yield."

I agree. I don't think riot act sounds phoned in at all. There's alot of emotion on it. You don't have to wail it all the time to sound emotional.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    Everytime I listen to the Cropduster/Ghost 1-2 combo, I close to fall asleep. Those two songs are so... bland, plain, vanilla. It kind of just sinks into everything around you and you just kind of forget you're listening to music.
  • TB RivalTB Rival Posts: 74
    Ed's voice wasn't so much a lack of emotion...he just sang like his jaw was wired shut. Drove me crazy on that album.

Thank God for Avocado and Backspacer....Eddie got his groove back.
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    1/2 full is a diamond in the rough.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Positives of Riot Act =
    Can't Keep
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    Cropduster
    Ghost
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    Get Right
    Green Disease
    Help Help
    Bu$hleaguer
    1/2 Full
    Arc
    All Or None

:mrgreen:

I love every song on this album.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    DangDang wrote:
    Bushleaguer to me was extremely boring the first 10 times then it started growing, now its reached awesomeness.

Bu$hleaguer is probably at the "Moment" in my TOP 10 songs...:)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    much better than backspacer & s/t. still not my fav, but i will say can't keep, ghost, all or none are bitching tunes!
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    CrookedTom wrote:
    I don’t think this was a particularly good period for Pearl Jam, coming after Roskilde and 9/11, the band seemed somber and Riot Act has a feel of them just bashing out a few mid tempo songs...

In the context of the past, maturity, mortality, and dealing with reality, this album is one to be cherished... having "grown up" with the band, and having had two kids by the time RA came out, I found myself dealing with many of the issues explored in the songs... I think it is as strong as any of their discs... for me, there is a strong emotional and experiential connection...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    I always didn't understood why so many people said this album is their worst. I really like it... I think at the moment it's the PJ album I most listen to (from the studio albums). I think they sound really good together on this one. You Are is amazing, I also really love Green Disease, Save You is an awesome rock song, Arc, I am Mine...they're all very good. No song that I'd like to skip (yeah..maybe Bu$hleager).
    Haha... I'm tired as hell and can't write proper sentences... but, yeah - I like this record :lol:
  • the songs on it are so much better live than on the album. i dont like Ed's voice on most of them and the music is so sedated. but live, PJ plays them the way they should have been played on the album.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    OK, I dislike Riot Act tremendously. I think it is by far their weakest effort. Too long, bloated, and tired, it sounds like Ed slept through his vocal recordings. There are songs that make no sense at all lyrically, others that should have never been included, and b-sides that outshine almost anything on the album. Seems like the band agrees as they have done a complete 180 from Riot Act with Pearl Jam and Backspacer and rarely play anything from it other than Save You and 1/2 Full every once in awhile.

However, it does have its positives and to answer the OP, here are mine:

I Am Mine is an outstanding song. Lyrically relevant to this day, understated but perfectly fitting solo, this song is one of the things PJ does best.

All or None is similarly great. I wish they would play it more. Love the dark tone to this one.

Save You is a decent little rocker that is 100 times better live than it is on the record.

Good Mike moments on 1/2 full and Get Right.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    edited July 2010
    when this cd came out it was as though PJ was reading my mind, the lyrics of my life, speaking the lessons of my soul, 2002, the time of turbulent years with our teens, just after the passing of my mother
    Can't Keep.... was the battle to really want to leave this world but at this time now 10 years later for an entirely different reason. More of an "I can't wait to see the other side" a joy not despair and a strong curiosity.

Save You..... strong commitment to love that I had found in my life and needed for my teens

Love Boat Captain..... Love is God, God is love. Some of the most meaningful lyrics for me.

I Am Mine...."I only own my own mind" this song I found conviction and a sense of inner peace

Thumbing My Way....hope no matter how dark

You Are....I love this song, and always picture the romantic whenever I hear it. A tower and a prince and the strength of love to save his princess, I always think of JB and our commitment of love.

Get Right........I never learned all the lyrics just loved the melody and the way Ed sings it

Help Help.....I view this as political songs one of the few I do like.

Arc....I always loved it but a totally new appreciation after EV solo tour, the sound of heaven itself.

All Or None...."To myself I... surrender
    To the one I'll never please" this a wonderful lyric that I can relate to, once you are ok with yourself you can be with others

So for me Riot Act is full of positives messages to take with you and get you through life. I love the album and cherish the memories of the live concerts I saw.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    This record took me a while to get into. I was very excited when it came out because it had been about 3 years since Binaural; however, I was pretty disappointed on the first listen. Just didn't seem to be as strong as the others and I thought they might have just phoned it in to get out of the record contract quicker.

I like the album just fine now (especially Save You and I Am Mine), but I don't listen to it as often as its predecessors.
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited July 2010
    I like riot act a lot. I think it get's some negatives because of the fact pearl jam put out 2 darker albums in a row you know Binaural and Riot Act.

I love,

Can't Keep
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    Cropduster
    I Am MIne
    Thumbing My Way
    Get Right
    You Are
    Green Disease

I hate the song Help Help though. It's a waste of space on the cd.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on