Anxiety...

Comments

• matabelematabele Posts: 277
    dcfaithful wrote:
    matabele wrote:
    Are you using drugs or alcohol? Physical exercise is always a help.

I smoke marijuana and drink beer farily regularly, however I'm planning on stepping away from the smoking as it really does no good for me health-wise, and it makes me more lazy and unproductive. I just need a break from it and a clear head for a while.
    Lose the weed it can be your best friend but in situations like yours it is your worst enemy. Once the weed is gone you will find you have more time to get some physical activities going.
    It also sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself, start laying some things off, bullshit if you have to but learn to walk away, trying to please everybody will make you ill.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    better get yourself to the trees, rivers and mountains.
    society demands to much from a person.
    at times we demand to much from ourselves.
    fuck making everyone else happy.
    your sanity and happiness comes first.[/quote]

You have no idea...I'm dying to go spend a night, a week, whatever out in the woods.

Getting really sick of society at the moment and I just want solitude.[/quote]

Man i've been right where you are at the moment.

a short term quick fix, look up comedians you like on youtube and laugh your ass for a few hours, i recommend Bill Hicks, Louis C K, Denis Leary, George Carlin... any angry white people.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You have no idea...I'm dying to go spend a night, a week, whatever out in the woods.

Getting really sick of society at the moment and I just want solitude.

listen to eyed and me.
    go to the woods.
    get to them and chill with your woman, or by yourself, whichever.

society is usually fake and full of shit.
    school is fantastic.
    learning is a must.

your happiness and your sanity are most important out of everything in your life.
    you do not need be a skilled outdoorsman like eyed to get by.
    trees and trails and river and mountains are just as inviting to you as they are to anyone.
    the clean air is what you are to breathe.
    drink waterfall water.
    listen to the wind, the birds, the earth.

you'll be a new man.
    i promise.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    chadwick wrote:

I once decided, in mid-backpacking trip, that all I needed was my underwear and a knife to get by. After about walking 50 feet from my tent and slapping the third biting mosquito, I went back for more clothes. 8-)
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Go for a stroll in grizzly country. Suddenly that anxiety will start to feel normal.

lmao!
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    chadwick wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Getting really sick of society at the moment and I just want solitude.

listen to eyed and me.
    go to the woods.
    get to them and chill with your woman, or by yourself, whichever.

society is usually fake and full of shit.
    school is fantastic.
    learning is a must.

your happiness and your sanity are most important out of everything in your life.
    trees and trails and river and mountains are just as inviting to you as they are to anyone.
    the clean air is what you are to breathe.
    drink waterfall water.
    listen to the wind, the birds, the earth.

you'll be a new man.
    i promise.

I want it so bad, and I think we're going to run away to the Uintahs for the weekend...

waiting till Friday just might kill me though. :(

School is great...I don't want to stop going cause I love what I'm learning...it's work that seems to continue to get in the way, go figure. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I want it so bad, and I think we're going to run away to the Uintahs for the weekend...

waiting till Friday just might kill me though. :(

School is great...I don't want to stop going cause I love what I'm learning...it's work that seems to continue to get in the way, go figure. :roll:

you'll be fine.
    go find a park after work or school.
    chill under some trees.
    do nothing but meditate
    you should do this everyday.
    do your homework in the woods.

when i was attending school i did my homework in the forest.
    went for a good little hike and found a tree to sit under.
    did my homework and built a small fire.
    very relaxing.
    oddly enough i found marijuana and a pipe in my pocket.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dc, reading your posts is like reading from my own diary. I went through this exact same thing, and I mean EXACT, last summer. I almost went completely bonkers. I was so ripped up with anxiety I had to go to bed to try to sleep just so I could stop my brain, but getting to sleep was tough.

Self-medicating is something I do all the time, but I wouldn't recommend it. I was smoking a lot of weed at the time and, as an old cliche, yes, it helps in the meantime, but afterwards it just made my anxiety worse. Same with drinking. ESPECIALLY with drinking. I'd be physically shaking the next day, not from withdrawal, but from the anxiety it was causing.

I am like you; I never took even a tylenol for a headache, and I feel my immunity is a good testament for self-healing. However, you brain is different. I had no choice but to go on meds. Started off with just 10mg a day, then my shrink upped it to 20mg per day, since he didn't think I was getting the desired results, even though I felt better.

HOWEVER: pills are not the only answer, they are only a small part of it. When I was going through this, I researched extensively on the net all about anxiety. You must get physical activity. Our bodies store up all this energy that we don't use and eventually it has to be released, and it does so in the forms you speak of.

Feelings of wanting to go Into The Wild are completely normal. Believe me, if you were losing your mind (which is a common symptom of anxiety), you wouldn't think you were. It sounds stupid but it's true.

A simple trip to the woods may be good, but it also may be just like that joint you want to smoke. Anxiety works different than just everyday stress. If you were just stressed, you'd feel relaxed and recharged, but with anxiety, you may feel good out in the woods, on the way back to daily life you may feel even worse than before you left. Trust me. And sometimes doing nothing but being with your own thoughts is the worst thing for you. Keeping busy is great, but if you are TOO busy, it will worsen. The key is to find that balance that you need, and do what you have to to achieve that balance. If you have a good woman, she'll understand if you can't be there for her as much as you used to be, or if you need to take out a loan or something to ease off the work while you concentrate on school. There ARE solutions out there, you just have to make the decision (which right now probably feels nearly impossible, I know) to commit to making yourself better.

If you don't help yourself now, you'll be no good to yourself or your girlfriend. Explain to her that this is what you need to do to be functional at the moment in your relationship.

And I would STRONGLY recommend seeing a psychiatrist, if for nothing else, your own peace of mind. It helps when you have a professional telling you over and over again that you aren't crazy, and the reasons why. You probably already know the reasons why you aren't nuts, but you don't necessarily trust your own thoughts at the present time, so go see one. It will help, I guarantee it.

And if you need to chat more, pm me. I'd be glad to help out if I can. I know the hell of anxiety. I still do. But I'm doing my best to manage it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    I just got back from a lunch break. Took my sandwich, chips and a drink to the nearest park and found a nice tree and some shade to sit in.

Silence and serenity like that is priceless.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I just got back from a lunch break. Took my sandwich, chips and a drink to the nearest park and found a nice tree and some shade to sit in.

Silence and serenity like that is priceless.

Feel good my friend. I find that I really have to focus on what my anxiety feels like to my body and then work it out from there. Mine feels like there is a hamster wheel inside my chest that is trying to propel me forward even when I have no place to go. So, I acknowledge it, envision it, and breathe it away.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I've had problems with anxiety for god knows how long. If you want to pm me about it feel free, although it does sound like you're doing the right thing by taking time out to relax :thumbup:
    Claireack wrote:
    I've had problems with anxiety for god knows how long. If you want to pm me about it feel free, although it does sound like you're doing the right thing by taking time out to relax :thumbup:

Yes, like LoveOnTwoLegs, I feel like I have this huge urge to jsut move and do something physical.

Tonight I plan on going for a long swim and then shooting a couple hours of hoops after school. I don't care if I'm up late...I need it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Anxiety sucks...
    I have sought out help. I take Welbutrim and Lorazapam when I need it.
    Unloading to a therapist helps a lot. I hope you get through this soon.

I know it sucks...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    It's kind of amazing how many people have anxiety issues. I do, too. I tried medication and it made it worse. Then went to a therapist and that's helped lots and lots. My therapist said for some people medication is great, for other people it doesn't work at all. I've also heard of people having great success with homeopathic remedies. But I don't know any specifics.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I feel that way sometimes. Most recently was a few months ago when work and school were super-demanding and my grandmother was dying. Remember, this too shall pass. In the meantime, some things that helped me were:

1. Vitamin B complex. I keep it at work, since it's usually work that stresses me out the most. It really does seem to help.

2. This relaxation app I got for my iTouch. I didn't think it would help, but it really did. I listened at night and I rarely failed to fall asleep by the end, no matter how anxious I was. They say it's super-important to go to get plenty of sleep and go to bed at the same time every night too, though I've never been very good at this.

3. Aromatherapy. Particularly, I have this jar of lavender essential oil and I smell it when I feel stressed and before going to bed. Seems to have somewhat of a calming effect.

4. Meditation/reading. I think it can help to try to meditate daily or at least find something like a poem or a quote that is meaningful to you that you can read (from an actual book or piece of paper, not a computer screen) regularly to help keep you centered.

5. Yoga. You've probably done it before and are aware of its amazing anti-anxiety powers.

6. Giving up caffeine. This was hard because after not sleeping the night before, I'd always need caffeine to get me through the next day. But I think ultimately it just makes things worse. (They say alcohol ultimately just makes things worse too.)

Just some little suggestions, in case they help. Of course if your anxiety is really interfering with your life then I agree with the others who say to seek professional help. Hope you feel better soon!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I would argue, this message board makes me anxious..

Dead serious. I keep rechecking, refreshing, how wouldn't that? I've already calmed down quite a bit since I got rid of my smart phone..

Facebook too.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dcfaithful wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    are you sure this isn't weather related? breathing is tough right now in many parts of the country. This makes an anxious person more anxious and starts the cycle. just an idea?

Maybe...didn't feel like this last summer though, last summer was happy times for me....very happy times.
    It is probably a combination of factors. Your stress level is high maybe in combination with your body a little haywire. When a mind acts up we think it is just that but often it is "body related".
    When I was young, in my early 20's, my roomie had some bad episodes. We were called the "buzz twins" if you know what I mean. Well after some freaky stuff she sought help, come to find out her thryoid went out of control. Back then is not now and they burned the thyroid making it necessary for her to take meds the rest of her life. She also quit smoking pot the rest of her life. End of scary stuff.
    My point, if this continues, just have a couple tests to make sure your body isn't doing something weird.
    Its really tough to grow older you know. I see this in my kids in their 20's. The year previous is easier than the last. We want to go back to a time without being bogged down by responsibility. We long to be free. Like Chad said, take a breather, do something just for you, escape a little. It can't hurt. :D
  • I thought I was the only one. I had to take a break from AMT for a while cause it was actually ruining my days thinking about the arguments and shit. It was ridiculous.
    I would argue, this message board makes me anxious..

Dead serious. I keep rechecking, refreshing, how wouldn't that? I've already calmed down quite a bit since I got rid of my smart phone..

Facebook too.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • thanks for the tips, scb (even though they were meant for the OP). I will try these. I've got Wii Fit at home, so I'm going to try yoga. Although, can a linebacker-sized guy do yoga safely?? :lol:

scb wrote:
    I feel that way sometimes. Most recently was a few months ago when work and school were super-demanding and my grandmother was dying. Remember, this too shall pass. In the meantime, some things that helped me were:

1. Vitamin B complex. I keep it at work, since it's usually work that stresses me out the most. It really does seem to help.

2. This relaxation app I got for my iTouch. I didn't think it would help, but it really did. I listened at night and I rarely failed to fall asleep by the end, no matter how anxious I was. They say it's super-important to go to get plenty of sleep and go to bed at the same time every night too, though I've never been very good at this.

3. Aromatherapy. Particularly, I have this jar of lavender essential oil and I smell it when I feel stressed and before going to bed. Seems to have somewhat of a calming effect.

4. Meditation/reading. I think it can help to try to meditate daily or at least find something like a poem or a quote that is meaningful to you that you can read (from an actual book or piece of paper, not a computer screen) regularly to help keep you centered.

5. Yoga. You've probably done it before and are aware of its amazing anti-anxiety powers.

6. Giving up caffeine. This was hard because after not sleeping the night before, I'd always need caffeine to get me through the next day. But I think ultimately it just makes things worse. (They say alcohol ultimately just makes things worse too.)

Just some little suggestions, in case they help. Of course if your anxiety is really interfering with your life then I agree with the others who say to seek professional help. Hope you feel better soon!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    thanks for the tips, scb (even though they were meant for the OP). I will try these. I've got Wii Fit at home, so I'm going to try yoga. Although, can a linebacker-sized guy do yoga safely?? :lol:

Thanks. :) Believe it or not, anyone can do yoga. Though I would really recommend a live class. The interaction with the intructor and her soothing voice can be particularly relaxing - plus she can show you how to adjust poses to fit your body and ability. I've actually known people for whom yoga has really helped with depression and even alcoholism, as well as anxiety. It's pretty cool!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm suffering right now from what you'd call, annoying roommates anxiety.. I haven't sleep in a few days, last night mostly because I had to hear them doing it at 1 AM.

Thank god I plan to be gone in a month!
    i guess i give some people greater anxiety than the evils that are mankind.
    this is quite interesting to my notion.
    unbelievable.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I'm suffering right now from what you'd call, annoying roommates anxiety.. I haven't sleep in a few days, last night mostly because I had to hear them doing it at 1 AM.

I hear the same thing from my neighbors. Lovely, isn't it?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • I'm suffering right now from what you'd call, annoying roommates anxiety.. I haven't sleep in a few days, last night mostly because I had to hear them doing it at 1 AM.

share the anxiety with them.....go to their room/bed/couch whatever in your boxers....hover for a short time till they notice you (sneeze, cough whatever) and then say, "hey, figured i might as well join in since I cant sleep"
    8-)
    maybe then theyll learn to keep the volume down a bit.
    hopefully it doesnt backfire, by them saying, "ok, we could use another player" hence causing you more anxiety - or; if your down for swingin...maybe that could cure your anxiety.....
    :think:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• hey man, don't flatter yourself! :lol:
    chadwick wrote:
    unbelievable.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

share the anxiety with them.....go to their room/bed/couch whatever in your boxers....hover for a short time till they notice you (sneeze, cough whatever) and then say, "hey, figured i might as well join in since I cant sleep"
    8-)
    maybe then theyll learn to keep the volume down a bit.
    hopefully it doesnt backfire, by them saying, "ok, we could use another player" hence causing you more anxiety - or; if your down for swingin...maybe that could cure your anxiety.....
    :think:

"Paging Dr. Kitchen...Dr. Kitchen."
    hey man, don't flatter yourself! :lol:
    chadwick wrote:
    unbelievable.
    it is only what i was told, mr. young bill pumpkin.
    btw, i flatter myself in other ways than this.

do not get me started on my poetry writing abilities.
    also, when shooting guns i am dead on target, flying targets or still as a statue.
    i am on target like a stealthy ninja armed with an ak 47 and throwing stars.

one time i used a picture of the green river killer as a target for my flame thrower.
    it was a hoot.

anxious?
    me?
    not really.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    hey man, don't flatter yourself! :lol:
    chadwick wrote:
    unbelievable.
    it is only what i was told, mr. young bill pumpkin.
    btw, i flatter myself in other ways than this.

do not get me started on my poetry writing abilities.
    also, when shooting guns i am dead on target, flying targets or still as a statue.
    i am on target like a stealthy ninja armed with an ak 47 and throwing stars.

one time i used a picture of the green river killer as a target for my flame thrower.
    it was a hoot.

anxious?
    me?
    not really.

I anxiously await your posts if that counts for anything....
  • "Paging Dr. Kitchen...Dr. Kitchen."

Yes, Dr. Kitchen here reporting for duty.

wait a minute....Dammit Dissidentman....y u always fckin w/ me :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

"Paging Dr. Kitchen...Dr. Kitchen."

Yes, Dr. Kitchen here reporting for duty.

wait a minute....Dammit Dissidentman....y u always fckin w/ me :lol:

I am only acknowledging your wise words. Please continue.