Possibility of Pearl Jam 20th Anniversary show confusion

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited July 2010 in The Porch
I lie in wait for the announcement of this show. What I want to know is what event people are talking about this possible upcoming show being the anniversary of:

1) is it the anniversary of their first show? (show would be Oct 2010)
2) or is it the anniversary of Ten being released? (show would be August 2011)

Either way, my wife and I are going if it happens, but I'd like to know when people speculate it being.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I lie in wait for the announcement of this show. What I want to know is what event people are talking about this possible upcoming show being the anniversary of:

Either way, my wife and I are going if it happens, but I'd like to know when people speculate it being.

It would have to be Oct 2010. In 2000 it was said by the band in Vegas that this was the 10th anniversary. Granted in 1990 they were Mookie Blaylock, but it was still the first show. I think the re-issues will be out in August 2011 for the 20th anniversary of Ten.

I just hope the show is announced. If it isn't announced by August at the latest I don't think it's going to happen.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • thank you!
    youngster wrote:

It would have to be Oct 2010. In 2000 it was said by the band in Vegas that this was the 10th anniversary. Granted in 1990 they were Mookie Blaylock, but it was still the first show. I think the re-issues will be out in August 2011 for the 20th anniversary of Ten.

I just hope the show is announced. If it isn't announced by August at the latest I don't think it's going to happen.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    youngster wrote:

For what it's worth, someone on here was mentioning bumping into Stone (I think?), and said he was genuinely confused about the 20th anniversary thing, as he didn't realize the 20th anniversary was even coming up. That said, I don't think a 20th anniversary has to be the EXACT date, rather could be anywhere in the vicinity of the date and still be associated with a 20th anniversary show.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • yeah, I remember that thread, but I couldn't immediately find it again. Who knows, Stone may have just been acting coy about it, but maybe not.

Thanks.
    benjs wrote:
    youngster wrote:

For what it's worth, someone on here was mentioning bumping into Stone (I think?), and said he was genuinely confused about the 20th anniversary thing, as he didn't realize the 20th anniversary was even coming up. That said, I don't think a 20th anniversary has to be the EXACT date, rather could be anywhere in the vicinity of the date and still be associated with a 20th anniversary show.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Do you know of any other bands that have commemorated their x# anniversary? I can't think of a single one. Why does everyone assume they are going to? Was the Vegas 2000 show actually planned to be on that exact date or did it just happen to work out that way?
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Do you know of any other bands that have commemorated their x# anniversary? I can't think of a single one. Why does everyone assume they are going to? Was the Vegas 2000 show actually planned to be on that exact date or did it just happen to work out that way?

I think it comes from when they released the reissue of ten, I remember reading something that said re releases "up to the 20th anniversary"? I think they scrapped that whole project, no where else was there a mention of it.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

This is an excellent point.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Do you know of any other bands that have commemorated their x# anniversary? I can't think of a single one. Why does everyone assume they are going to? Was the Vegas 2000 show actually planned to be on that exact date or did it just happen to work out that way?

Sodom, Destruction, Entombed, Dismember and Grave all commemorated their 10th, 15th and 20th anniversary - and just because the majority of people on this board do not listen to or know about these bands (hey, to each his own, right?) does not make it improbable that a band celebrate an anniversary. This being said, Soundgarden has reunited and I do not think Matt Cameron is going to be available in the Fall for an anniversary show, so unless PJ recruit one of their former drummers or someone new, this thread should just be polite and die out ... Peace
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319

The Who released a box set to celebrate their 30th anniversary.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Was the Vegas 2000 show actually planned to be on that exact date or did it just happen to work out that way?

I have been wondering the same thing, does anybody know?
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • hedavehedave Posts: 201
    http://www.billboard.com/news/pearl-jam-album-film-tour-in-the-works-1003961625.story?tag=prevart#/news/pearl-jam-album-film-tour-in-the-works-1003961625.story?tag=prevart

Quote from Stone. Stop bugging him on the street. Haha.

"We're building up to our big 20th anniversary," McCready said. "We're trying to have a little campaign of building rereleases with new mixes and new outtakes up until that time. We're trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage."
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
    hedave wrote:
    http://www.billboard.com/news/pearl-jam-album-film-tour-in-the-works-1003961625.story?tag=prevart#/news/pearl-jam-album-film-tour-in-the-works-1003961625.story?tag=prevart

Quote from Stone. Stop bugging him on the street. Haha.

"We're building up to our big 20th anniversary," McCready said. "We're trying to have a little campaign of building rereleases with new mixes and new outtakes up until that time. We're trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage."
    hedave, with all due respect, Mike talks a lot, and only a very small portion of the band's 'plans' according to him actually come to fruition I find. In addition, that article is dated April 13th, 2009 - over a year ago. A film is hard to cancel once you have time and money invested in it, but I don't think that his words mean that a 20th anniversary concert will happen - though I think it's possible. I do think SOME form of acknowledgment will transpire in any case.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I vote for fan club members only show at The Gorge.
  • hedavehedave Posts: 201
    That was my point, sorry. I posted it, so people would see the date. Given that my TenClub Xmas single has come in April before, I wouldn't pin my hopes on anything said or not said.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Do you know of any other bands that have commemorated their x# anniversary? I can't think of a single one. Why does everyone assume they are going to? Was the Vegas 2000 show actually planned to be on that exact date or did it just happen to work out that way?

nope.
    thread title says "possibility", see?
    sorry if I spoke out of turn. ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

nope.

You didn't at all. I wasn't attacking you and i'm sorry if it sounded that way. There have been several threads like this and it just feels like people have this image in their head of some invisible show that hasn't even been discussed by the band (as far as anyone knows). I was also curious as to whether other bands have anniversary shows and that question was answered.

Considering this has been a hot topic, it would be GREAT if management or the band gave the 10 Club the go ahead to say even the tiniest thing about it. Yes it's being planned...nope nothing in the works. Be we all know how hard it is to get that kind of info around here.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,165
    I don't think they will do any shows to celebrate 20yrs at all ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003

I second that.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10

nope.

You didn't at all. I wasn't attacking you and i'm sorry if it sounded that way. There have been several threads like this and it just feels like people have this image in their head of some invisible show that hasn't even been discussed by the band (as far as anyone knows). I was also curious as to whether other bands have anniversary shows and that question was answered.

Considering this has been a hot topic, it would be GREAT if management or the band gave the 10 Club the go ahead to say even the tiniest thing about it. Yes it's being planned...nope nothing in the works. Be we all know how hard it is to get that kind of info around here.
    :lol: Why would you come here, to Pearl Jam's official discussion board, for news? Billboard, Rolling Stone, and fourteen other veritable sources have to announce news before this place puts that info up!

EV
    I got news of the 2008 Camden shows from a homeless dude. Weeks before the 10 Club said a peep.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I got news of the 2008 Camden shows from a homeless dude. Weeks before the 10 Club said a peep.

:lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
    Benaroya Hall was on October 22nd, 2003. The thirteenth anniversary of the band and nothing was said about it. But, no matter what, I am still planning for the concert to happen as of right now. I am saving money for it and if it doesn't happen, then I will have money already saved for some concerts next year. I have a feeling though that they will do something in Seattle. It very well might be a small venue like the Showbox.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • RYEzupSF wrote:

I second that.

I tird that.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

Sodom, Destruction, Entombed, Dismember and Grave all commemorated their 10th, 15th and 20th anniversary - and just because the majority of people on this board do not listen to or know about these bands (hey, to each his own, right?) does not make it improbable that a band celebrate an anniversary.

Bleeding Anus celebrated their 20th anniversary too. It was delightful time.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • well, you seemed annoyed by it, but I guess I read into it (but i didn't take offence or anything anyway!) ;)
    I was basically asking what people were speculating on, as I've seen threads with both the anniversary of the first show and also about a show commemorating the anniversary of the release of 10, so I was kind of confused.

There are some bands that have done anniversary tours/shows. Didn't Rush just go out on a 30th anniversary tour? Anyway, you found out about a PJ show from a homeless guy? That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • most bands just worry about the anniversaries that land on the 5.
    Benaroya Hall was on October 22nd, 2003. The thirteenth anniversary of the band and nothing was said about it. But, no matter what, I am still planning for the concert to happen as of right now. I am saving money for it and if it doesn't happen, then I will have money already saved for some concerts next year. I have a feeling though that they will do something in Seattle. It very well might be a small venue like the Showbox.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • During the Buffalo show Eddie just mentioned that they have been playing for 20 years and how he has been tingly & high on music he talked about it right after Do the Evolution.....
    I would love a 20 year show.... I better start saving money now!!!
    And he who forgets...will be destined to remember...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yes we all hope that there will be a 20th anniversary show, and how many times has someone blindly requested them to 'play a song' or 'dedicate 'x' song' and it really has happened? I think most of us secretly hope that band members (or higher powers) will/are reading posts to the board and if they see a trend, they make those wishes come true. The band doesn't 'owe' us any kind of show, but we can still dream!
    So, far it looks like they will be home in October, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did a surprise show somewhere, I'll have to keep picking up 'the Stranger' or listening to the radio in October. The 22nd is on a Friday, maybe I'll have to find a cardboard box to rent out in Post Alley for the weekend.... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I vote for fan club members only show at The Gorge.

Sounds great but I don't think that the Gorge holds any shows in late October. It's the desert, it would be absolutely freezing at night that time of year!

I just wish that the band or the Ten Club would give us an idea if a 20th anniversary show is even a possibilty or is in the works. I think if August passes by and still no mention of it, it's just not going to happen. The shitty thing is I've passed up at least five concerts I would have liked to have gone to this year in the hopes of this anniversary show happening and having the time and resources to actually go to it. I've already booked the time off work and the wife has given the green light, now we just need an announcement!
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973
    2 nights at the Greek Theatre in LA. Ten Club only.