Friends messing you about

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Is there anything more fucking annoying?!

What do you do if your friends are just incosiderate, selfish people? Do you call them on it or just accept that that is how they are? It seems like I'm always taking into consideration other people and trying to accomodate them, and you get no fucking thanks for it. Grrrr :evil:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would find new friends.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    You find better friends. Granted, 90% of all the people you don't know suck so horribly you don't want them for friends either. Still, that should leave close to a billion to choose from.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I wouldn't consider them friends, they sound very selfish to me...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I would find new friends.

Yep, might be the solution to be honest. I'm just checking that I'm not being an over-sensitive moaner! I don't expect a lot, but it would be nice if someone considered me for once.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Is there anything more fucking annoying?!

What do you do if your friends are just incosiderate, selfish people
    ? Do you call them on it or just accept that that is how they are? It seems like I'm always taking into consideration other people and trying to accomodate them, and you get no fucking thanks for it. Grrrr :evil:

You call them your closest, best friends.
    You call them your closest, best friends.

Do I call them my closest friends? Well yeah I guess. I dunno, you go through day to day life having to put up with arse-holes, you know, the people who cut you up on your drive to work, obnoxious co-workers, the general public etc, and then at the end of the day you turn to the people who you actually choose to spend time with, and it turns out that they aren't much better......

Sorry, I'm just venting here. I guess this is a load of things all come to a head and today has just pushed me over the edge.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Be the best friend you can be always but remember people can be disappointing, don't expect too much, just forgive them and love them.
    We all come up short sometimes, we all disappoint, this is why we forgive because we would want to be forgiven also.
    pandora wrote:
    Be the best friend you can be always but remember people can be disappointing, don't expect too much, just forgive them and love them.
    We all come up short sometimes, we all disappoint, this is why we forgive because we would want to be forgiven also.

Yeah I hear you, but it doesn't make me feel much better. My anger is slowly just fading into sadness. Makes me think that maybe it's me doing something wrong.

And is part of being a good friend pointing out a few of these truths? Or is that just self-serving?
    pandora wrote:

Yeah I hear you, but it doesn't make me feel much better. My anger is slowly just fading into sadness. Makes me think that maybe it's me doing something wrong.

And is part of being a good friend pointing out a few of these truths? Or is that just self-serving?
    At the moment maybe not the best time while you feel this way. I have found friends to come in different depths for lack of a better word. Some friends really get how to be giving loving friends, others not so much. People are all so different and each person reacts differently with every different person. Complex. Be sad if you must but be forgiving too and don't forget because you may have learned a valuable lesson here.
    pandora wrote:
    At the moment maybe not the best time while you feel this way. I have found friends to come in different depths for lack of a better word. Some friends really get how to be giving loving friends, others not so much. People are all so different and each person reacts differently with every different person. Complex. Be sad if you must but be forgiving too and don't forget because you may have learned a valuable lesson here.

I guess it's just difficult to confront someone about something when the moment has passed. Is it really right to drag stuff up from the past because you didn't want to deal with it at the time? These people aren't all bad, they're just totally wrapped up in their own little worlds and take a lot of things for granted.

I guess it's just difficult to confront someone about something when the moment has passed. Is it really right to drag stuff up from the past because you didn't want to deal with it at the time? These people aren't all bad, they're just totally wrapped up in their own little worlds and take a lot of things for granted.

This sounds like pretty much everybody at any given time, yes? Actions from the past come back to haunt us all
    sometimes cause the parties aren't prepared to deal with it then or they needed time to digest or whatever.
    I do think you are disappointed right now and hurt, concentrate on learning and letting go. This is best for you and probably for your friends.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I would find new friends.

Yep, might be the solution to be honest. I'm just checking that I'm not being an over-sensitive moaner! I don't expect a lot, but it would be nice if someone considered me for once.

sorry but you kind of being over-sensitive. I used to do everything for my friends and realized that they didn't do anything for me and i realized that I was only doing things for them not because i wanted to be a good friend but just because i wanted them to be my friends. just from reading this tread and this particular post, I think you are doing the same.

sorry after reading this, it sounded really mean but that is not my intention. what i am saying is that you look into your self and try to understand why you want friends like these.
    fife wrote:
    sorry but you kind of being over-sensitive. I used to do everything for my friends and realized that they didn't do anything for me and i realized that I was only doing things for them not because i wanted to be a good friend but just because i wanted them to be my friends. just from reading this tread and this particular post, I think you are doing the same.

You could well be right. I like to think I have enough self-esteem that I'm not that desperate for people to be friends with me, and I've never really felt like the outsider of the group or anything, in fact quite the opposite, I'm usually the one that people come to when people are trying to make arrangements - maybe they're just taking advantage of the fact that they know I will.
    fife wrote:

You could well be right. I like to think I have enough self-esteem that I'm not that desperate for people to be friends with me, and I've never really felt like the outsider of the group or anything, in fact quite the opposite, I'm usually the one that people come to when people are trying to make arrangements - maybe they're just taking advantage of the fact that they know I will.

have you ever said no even if you could do something?
    fife wrote:

Probably not - like I said, I always like to try and accomodate everyone :oops:
  • in my experiance...the people who would bend over backwards for someone, are the same people that get walked all over.....not in every situation...but it seems to be common. If you want to keep them as friends, then you should speak up. Thats how I roll. I say what I mean. And if it hurts your feelings, then well, sorry :?
    They'll either respect you more, or decide they dont want to take your shit....and if thats the case, well fack'em :mrgreen:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

fife wrote:

Probably not - like I said, I always like to try and accomodate everyone :oops:

no need to get redfaced. trust me i know. your friends might be real cool people and don't even realize that you are upset. What i would do is next time someone asks you to do something say you can't even if you can. If they really are your friends they would be Ok with that. If they are not good with that screw them.

of course if you do that make sure you are ready to may be losing some so-called "friends"
    fife wrote:
    no need to get redfaced. trust me i know. your friends might be real cool people and don't even realize that you are upset. What i would do is next time someone asks you to do something say you can't even if you can. If they really are your friends they would be Ok with that. If they are not good with that screw them.

of course if you do that make sure you are ready to may be losing some so-called "friends"

Well I've just kind of done this. Just got a message from one of them asking when I'm gonna be out, and I said I'm staying in now - to which I've gotten no reply.
    in my experiance...the people who would bend over backwards for someone, are the same people that get walked all over.....not in every situation...but it seems to be common. If you want to keep them as friends, then you should speak up. Thats how I roll. I say what I mean. And if it hurts your feelings, then well, sorry :?
    They'll either respect you more, or decide they dont want to take your shit....and if thats the case, well fack'em :mrgreen:

I think you're right, I do need to toughen up a bit and stop worrying about what other people think all the time.
    fife wrote:

Well I've just kind of done this. Just got a message from one of them asking when I'm gonna be out, and I said I'm staying in now - to which I've gotten no reply.

but that not what i mean. for example, if i got a call today from a friend seeing what i am doing and i called him back and left a message saying i staying in i would not expect a call back. now if someone called me to paint their house (for example) and i said i couldn't do it to them on the phone, i would expect them to say cool.

from the surface, it looks like you have a high expectation of what friends should do for others friends. ask yourself why you have that high level?
  • Sometimes you learn the hard way, who your REAL friends are.
    Then, you become sad because you realize how few REAL friends you have.....Trust me, your not alone...true friends are hard to come by...they are a dime a dozen...When you find a good friend, you'll know. A good way to weigh a friendship.....Which one of your friends would come and pick your ass up after a concert b/c your car is dead, flat tire, whatever? The ones who would not come through, you can either get rid of them (unless of course they have a valid excuse), or just know, in the back of your head, that they are just acquaintances....and who knows, maybe some day, after some time of being just an acquaintance, they'll come thru and you can give them a promotion....maybe its not the right way to think about things, but its what works for me...I have been through to much crap w/ too many crappy people to just let everyone in. Friends have to gain your trust...if they dont, then theyre just there.....

and now im rambling :roll:
    sorry :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

fife wrote:
    but that not what i mean. for example, if i got a call today from a friend seeing what i am doing and i called him back and left a message saying i staying in i would not expect a call back. now if someone called me to paint their house (for example) and i said i couldn't do it to them on the phone, i would expect them to say cool.

I dunno, to me it just seems like common courtesey. I would usually reply with something like "ok no worries, catch you another time". In this instance, the lack of reply reads to me as annoyance because it means I won't be giving him a lift home at the end of the evening.
    fife wrote:
    from the surface, it looks like you have a high expectation of what friends should do for others friends. ask yourself why you have that high level?

I think I have those expectations because i judge it against what I would do myself - which it is becoming apparent, is probably too much.
    Sometimes you learn the hard way, who your REAL friends are.
    Then, you become sad because you realize how few REAL friends you have.....Trust me, your not alone...true friends are hard to come by...they are a dime a dozen...When you find a good friend, you'll know. A good way to weigh a friendship.....Which one of your friends would come and pick your ass up after a concert b/c your car is dead, flat tire, whatever? The ones who would not come through, you can either get rid of them (unless of course they have a valid excuse), or just know, in the back of your head, that they are just acquaintances....and who knows, maybe some day, after some time of being just an acquaintance, they'll come thru and you can give them a promotion....maybe its not the right way to think about things, but its what works for me...I have been through to much crap w/ too many crappy people to just let everyone in. Friends have to gain your trust...if they dont, then theyre just there.....

and now im rambling :roll:
    sorry :lol:

No no, this is all good stuff! It's certainly made me take a look at my own part in my friendships, it's way too easy to just heap the blame on other people. I really appreciate all the good advice here people. Implementing it may be another matter, however.....
  • I think I have those expectations because i judge it against what I would do myself - which it is becoming apparent, is probably too much.

I learned that lesson a long time ago...You would think that would be a good measure, but its not. Most people just plain suck... :|

I learned that lesson a long time ago...You would think that would be a good measure, but its not. Most people just plain suck... :|

So what's the answer? Become a more self-centred person?

So what's the answer? Become a more self-centred person?

yes, you don't seem to be self-centred at all and that is not always a good thing. Self-centered takes a bad rep but in reality its called being smart.
  • Well...you gotta figure out what works for you, and you need to figure out who your real friends are... What it all comes down to in the end, is that you gotta look out for you, and you gotta do what makes you happy. Are you miserable trying to make your friends happy? Is it just certain friends who dont seem to acknowledge all that you do for them? If being around someone makes you more angry or upset than happy, then it just doesnt seem worth it. But maybe that friend is just having a bad day or has something going on in their life that you dont know about... There is no real answer....its all based on the circumstances I guess. My honest opinion....If you truly feel that these people (or a few of them, or one of them) are a real friend, then I would mention it to them. Just say, hey, you kinda blew me off last night, whats up with that?? I have a similar situation going on now...I feel like my "friend" only comes around when I have an extra concert ticket, or some new music to share...but then I have to think about the situation...This friend i have, is married w/ kids. Im in a relationship, but no kids... So, sometimes I have to think that this friend is just putting her kids first?!?!? Long story short, she has been placed in the acquaintance category until she further proves herself...this may just be an excuse that I am making for her, but until she shows some signs of true friendship, we'll see what happens....Another thing...is that you dont have to be deeply connected with each person you are around....its OK to have just acquaintances....you just gotta figure out who you can trust, and who wouldnt help you with the simplest of tasks...Weed em out! 8-)

fife wrote:

I dunno, to me it just seems like common courtesey. I would usually reply with something like "ok no worries, catch you another time". In this instance, the lack of reply reads to me as annoyance because it means I won't be giving him a lift home at the end of the evening.
    fife wrote:

I think I have those expectations because i judge it against what I would do myself - which it is becoming apparent, is probably too much.

sorry to say this but you do lack confidence. you are assuming that your friend only inviting you so that you can drive him home instead of thinking that your friend wants to hang out with you.
    fife wrote:
    sorry to say this but you do lack confidence. you are assuming that your friend only inviting you so that you can drive him home instead of thinking that your friend wants to hang out with you.

No, to be fair I know it's a bit of both. I'm probably not as passive as I'm coming across, I'm sure I do things that annoy people, so I know I'm not completely innocent.

I just got a message back asking why I wasn't out now, and I pretty much layed it all out. Said I was fed up of being taken for granted, I don't have the energy to keep chasing people all the time, and excuses like 'my phone is playing up' are only good for so long - get a new fucking phone! Should be interesting to see how this one goes, this particular person will do anything to avoid confrontation, but I think it is probably about time I got some of this shit off my chest and just live with the consequences - whatever they may be.
    I know I've already said this, but I really appreciate people taking the time to reply. I started the thread cause I was pissed off, but I was also hoping for a bit of perspective - nothing quite like being told how it is by completely impartial people :lol: