how's your fantasy baseball team doing this year?

xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
In my money league, I decided to go with mostly youth and have been in first place virtually every day. How is yours doing?

And here my current team:

Joe Mauer, Ike Davis, Kevin Youkilis, Ian Stewart, Marco Scutaro, Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, Colby Rasmus, Jason Kubel, Chase Headley, Yadier Molina

David Price, Chris Carpenter, Jered Weaver, Mark Buehrle, Roy Oswalt, Bronson Arroyo, Scott Kazmir, Brian Fuentes, Andrew Bailey.
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
MSG 2024, MSG 2024
Philadelphia 2024
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Whats up X-man?

I was invited into this keeper league with some college buddies. I guess they didn't like one kid and they kicked him out, giving me his team. I had 4 keepers (Cliff Lee, Chase Utley, Jacoby Ellsbury, Grady Sizemore). Sizemore's done for the year and Ellsbury till after the allstar break, Lee missed the first 6 weeks of the year, and Utley has sucked. Somehow I'm in 2nd place in my division (6 teams in each division, top 2 from each advance to the playoffs), although my division is very tight right now.

I have Chase Headley too and he's gone in the crapper. The guy has had like 1 hit total in the last 2 weeks.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    Being in first place has made me very impulsive with moves, I just dropped a player for Kazmir because he is 4-0 this month and the Angels are around 10 games over. I guess you could say I'm like a 80s version of Steinbrenner with some of this.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Hey man, but you're winning right? That's more than 80's Steinbrenner could say! :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Hey man, but you're winning right? That's more than 80's Steinbrenner could say! :lol:

That's true, it's not like I fired a manager five times either.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • I'm 2nd of 14 in a 5 X 5 roto, thanks to my MVP Brett Gardner. Evan Longoria has helped too. Been in 1st place most of the year, and am currently flip flopping from 1st to 2nd. My team is very solid, especially for rotisseriie style. I'm at or near the top in every category, except for HR & RBI, and I just traded Cliff lee for Adrian Gonzalez to address that. It's a keeper league, kept 4 hitters, 4 pitchers from last year, keep 5 & 5 for 2011, then throw back and start over for 2012. Big years from Konerko, Liriano and Billy Butler have helped, Aaron Hill, Granderson & Rollins have killed me, 3 keepers I've gotten very little from

6-5 in my other league, which believe it or not, is the 3rd best record, and I have the most points of the several 6-5 teams. Playoffs are a strong possibilty, but I have to get better. I've loaded up on injured verts, adding Bedard, Volquez, and Beltran from the waiver wire in an effort to have a strong 2nd half/playoffs, or have great trade bait. problem in that league is I keep getting great starts and ND's or losses from my pitchers, like Halladay, Vazquez, Mike Leake J. Sanchez and Cole Hamels. Every night I get 7 IP, 1 run and a loss or a no decision

OK, sorry you asked? As they say, there is nothing more interesting than your fantasy team, and nothing more boring than someone else's team
  • Whats up X-man?

I have Chase Headley too and he's gone in the crapper. The guy has had like 1 hit total in the last 2 weeks.

I flipped Headley & Ryan Madson for Neftali Feliz when Headley was hitting @ 380. One of my better trades
  • In 3 leagues I had auto drafted Jason Bay, Chone Figgins, Carlos Lee, and Grady Sizemore. Needless to say I am dead last in all 3.
    As I write highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me. - George Orwell
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm in second place. I play head to head and i've only lost one game so far this year.

I'm getting by on a bit of luck i think i have more of a 4th place team, but i've been able to put it together.

Pablo Sandoval and Matt Wieters are not performing as hoped that is for sure. Hell I'll throw prince fielder in that mix too.

BUT
    Alex Rios and Andre Either before the injury were and are playing above expectations. Plus Carl Crawford.

I also have Carlos Lee who has come around a bit and picked up Delmon Young.

We are halfway through my head to head season so still a lot of time to go before the playoffs
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    In 3 leagues I had auto drafted Jason Bay, Chone Figgins, Carlos Lee, and Grady Sizemore. Needless to say I am dead last in all 3.

My first rule of fantasy baseball - never draft someone who is in their first year with the Mets after signing as a free agent. I got burned five years ago when I made Beltran my first pick in a money league.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i am close second in both leagues ... my keeper league is tough ... we play 30 positions and i've just realized that having holds as a category means that set up guys are just as important as closers in my league ...

if greinke can ever get some wins - i will be in it till the end ... key players on my team:

papelbon
    miguel cabrera
    matt holliday
    carl crawford
    ichiro
    greinke
    phil hughes
    r. soriano

i need a SS ... tejada sucks balls ... anyone got any ideas of who might be a good pick up?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    as is normally the case with me and fantasy baseball, i'm near the top. :mrgreen:

solid hitting team, although Jacoby Ellsbury has been on the DL virtually all season, Kemp has been up and down and BJ Upton couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag. But I'm happy overall with the hitting.

Now my pitching on the other hand is a joke. my starters suck, my relievers suck. although they are starting to pick it up in the last week. if my pitching comes around, watch out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Mark Texeria is brutal on my BA,

both teams are fucking bad

Ohhh god Grienke is fucking awful....great stats shit for wins, thanks royals for sucking as usual
    Whats up X-man?

I flipped Headley & Ryan Madson for Neftali Feliz when Headley was hitting @ 380. One of my better trades
    That is one savvy move kid!

I hate Neftali Feliz because I took Frank Francisco in my draft and he promptly loses his closer job to Feliz in the first week of the season.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I love my fantasy baseball league. We have 12 owners and it is a dynasty league. We have 35 rosters spots, no bench, 7 DL spots, and 30 minor league roster spots. It is crazy competitive.

I've had a ton of injuries (rollins, berkman, asdrubal cabrera, fister, homer bailey), but I'm currently in 3rd place, only 4 games out of first. We use normal 5x5 scoring with each stat counting as a win/loss/tie for the week.

Here's my team (I won it all last year...big upset in our 2 week championship)

Y Molina
    Weiters (disappointing)
    Butler
    Weeks
    Jeter
    Beltre
    Scutaro
    Berkman
    Bautista (drafted him and Luke scott in our 5 round offseason supplement draft)
    Crawford
    Cuddyer
    Lind (needs to pick it up)
    McCutchen
    Luke Scott
    Jason Donald (young prospects are like gold in this league, but once rollins comes back donald is gone)
    Edwin Encarnacion (being sent down will hurt...I keep him active or lose him)
    Carlos Guillen
    Kendrick

Dave Bush
    Cain
    Greinke
    Felix Hernandez
    Tommy Hunter
    Josh Johnson
    Kuroda
    Latos
    Wakefield (gone when guys get healthy)
    Broxton
    Neftali Feliz
    Marmol
    Leo Nunez
    Sergio Romo
    Thornton

DL
    Rolllins, Asdrubal Cabrera, Homer Bailey, McGowan, Meche, Jordan Zimmermann, Fister

I could list my 30 minor league guys, but I'm sure no one gives a shit
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    As they say, there is nothing more interesting than your fantasy team, and nothing more boring than someone else's team

dude, this couldn't be more true. the only thing worse is listening to someone talk about their NCAA brackets.

There should be a law that you can only talk about your fantasy teams with the people that are in your league. No one else cares
  • In 3 leagues I had auto drafted Jason Bay, Chone Figgins, Carlos Lee, and Grady Sizemore. Needless to say I am dead last in all 3.

My first rule of fantasy baseball - never draft someone who is in their first year with the Mets after signing as a free agent. I got burned five years ago when I made Beltran my first pick in a money league.

my first rule: don't bother drafting a catcher until the very end of the draft. Mauer goes too early, there are better hitters out there when he goes, and the rest of the guys just arent worth it. this year I grabbed AJ pierzynski in the 27th and final round, ct him after a few weeks, rode Pudge while he was red hot, cut him when he got hurt for Napoli, who produced big time until carlos Santana was called up.
  • Whats up X-man?

That is one savvy move kid!

I hate Neftali Feliz because I took Frank Francisco in my draft and he promptly loses his closer job to Feliz in the first week of the season.

thanks! i'm a pretty aggressive trader, they don't all work out that well, though my record is more wins than losses. My other big trade was recently sending David aardsma for Aaron hill. Hill is starting to hit again after a disastrous start, and aardsma is on the hot seat. Plus I am loaded with closers, when I made the trade I had Axford and Simon on the bench. Rule # 2, dominate the waiver wire. Get a guy 2 weeks early, he won't be there 2 weeks late

so glad I started Jhoulys Chacin this week. i was on the verge of cutting him, but opted to give him a shot with his 2 starts. He pitched great (albeit with 5 walks) and is in line for the win unless the Rockies blow it, which has been a trend for me (I'm looking at you Contreras and Lidge)

ETA. just as I finish typing this, Colorado brings in Matt Belisle to close? WTF? Street is back....I understand not rushing him, but Matt belisle? Sorry Chacin, nice work tonight, but The Globex Corporation starters just don't get W's, no matter what.
    holding a seven-point lead and I see Austin Jackson is on waivers, I'm wondering if i should pick him up.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • holding a seven-point lead and I see Austin Jackson is on waivers, I'm wondering if i should pick him up.

depends on who you would cut
    holding a seven-point lead and I see Austin Jackson is on waivers, I'm wondering if i should pick him up.

depends on who you would cut

I think I'll hold off. He's batting .222 this month so the league might be figuring him out.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • it was inevitable. and he has no power, yet at least
  • sorry, wrong thread
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Question for the fantasy buffs;

What are your thoughts on this potential trade:

I trade Carlos Gonzalez. I get Colby Rasmus and Josh Beckett.

Seems like a no-brainer to accept right? Well some things to consider. This is a deep, competitive 12-team keeper league. CarGo has eligibility at all OF positions (we have specific LF, CF, RF slots) whereas Rasmus is just a CF. I have Beltran waiting on the DL, so if he returns healthy, I'll have an issue at CF. And I have Morneau and Adrain Gonzalez, so my utility is always in use. Is Beckett gonna come back healthy and be dominant again? With Beltran, Tulo and Utley all on the DL, I can't afford to take on another injured star and just wait. Is Rasmus having a fluke year too?

I dunno. Just wanted to see what others thought. This manager has been really pressing me to give up CarGo, and this is the first of 20 deals that I'm actually considering. Thanks!
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    what sort of scoring does your league have?

i'll take a look at stats for these players later and see what they say.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    what sort of scoring does your league have?

i'll take a look at stats for these players later and see what they say.

It's weekly head-head, 6x6.

Hitting categories: R, HR, RBI, K, SBN, OBP
    Ptiching: K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB ratio
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    not being the manager of your team, i don't have insight to your roster, the league or standings.....so take this with a grain of salt....

i would pass on the trade until you see beckett make a few starts. Carlos is clearly outplaying Rasmus and it's always good to have players that can play more than one position on monday's and thrusdays.

i've only glanced at the beckett, but imo, this year so far looks more like a blimp on the rader vs a trend. was he nursing something to start the season?

maybe carlos for rasmus and a pitcher that is healthy and pitching good now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Yeah, I felt the same way. Just rejected it.

So many damn injuries this year, they just keep piling up..
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    so ... i just traded zach greinke for jose reyes ... neither of them are having a stellar year but i'm thinking they will both have good second halfs ... i'm currently 3rd this year in my keeper league with basically the top 3 teams battling it out ... the cats i need help are wins, holds and sb's ... i hated giving up on greinke as i like the kid but i don't see him getting too many wins pitching for the royals and i figure if reyes can net me another 15 sbs for the rest of the year - it should leapfrog me 1 or 2 spots in the standings ... plus, now i can dump tejada as my shortstop ... we're only a 10 team league but we roster 30 players and every position is active (only voluntary bench) ...

anyhoo - thoughts?
    sounds like you know your team....

Greinke is turning into a short term wonder kid. one big year and done. but then again, he pitchs for the Royals
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm in first place.
    I wish i could find the thread where i sharked my team and some snarky remarks were made about me having a bad team :D I've been in second all year and just took first place. I play head to head and have only "lost" two times so far.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22