Cell phone tethering

2»

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The HTC Evo Through sprint is a 4g phone. I Have used the HTC incredible (verizon) side by side with the iPhone 3gs and the htc was a little faster. I wonder how it will stack up with the iPhone 4.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Cool...

I have verizon and am going to go the smart phone route as well. I am too spoiled with my connection speed now that I don't think I could go the tethering route full time. But it's great to have as a backup or while traveling, etc.

My Time Warner Cable speed right now (according to Speedtest.net) is 14.94 Mb/s, going down to 1 would feel like dial up lol.

the caps only matter if you use their tethering...if you download the software from the link i provided, you will have an unlimited connection (as long as you have signed up for it for your phone)

pdanet simply transfers your phone's internet connection to your laptop

i believe BRY was more concerened about the speed vs quanity.

mine home internet runs at 7mbs down and 1 up. they say the 4g units are suppose to be up to 10X faster than 3g. if that's the case, it becomes a no brainer

both, but my original question was about quantity... i just looked at the verizon site, and there is a 25MB cap on their $9.99 data plan for 3G multimedia phones, maybe that's what I saw before.

But yeah, if 4G Iphones are 10x faster, that's awesome.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    25 megs would be useless. i've been looking at the unlimited plans that run 29.99 per phone.

dug this up on 4g. now if this is true, i will be switching.
    Objectives
    4G is being developed to accommodate the QoS and rate requirements set by further development of existing 3G applications like mobile broadband access, Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS), video chat, mobile TV, but also new services like HDTV. 4G may allow roaming with wireless local area networks, and may interact with digital video broadcasting systems.

The 4G working group[clarification needed] has defined the following as objectives of the 4G wireless communication standard:

Flexible channel bandwidth, between 5 and 20 MHz, optionally up to 40 MHz.[2]
    A nominal data rate of 100 Mbit/s while the client physically moves at high speeds relative to the station, and 1 Gbit/s while client and station are in relatively fixed positions as defined by the ITU-R,[7]
    A data rate of at least 100 Mbit/s between any two points in the world,[7]
    Peak link spectral efficiency of 15 bit/s/Hz in the downlink, and 6.75 bit/s/Hz in the uplink (meaning that 1 Gbit/s in the downlink should be possible over less than 67 MHz bandwidth)
    System spectral efficiency of up to 3 bit/s/Hz/cell in the downlink and 2.25 bit/s/Hz/cell for indoor usage.[2]
    Smooth handoff across heterogeneous networks,[8]
    Seamless connectivity and global roaming across multiple networks,[9]
    High quality of service for next generation multimedia support (real time audio, high speed data, HDTV video content, mobile TV, etc.)[9]
    Interoperability with existing wireless standards,[10] and
    An all IP, packet switched network.[9]
    [edit] Approaches
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://shop.sprint.com/en/solutions/mob ... arch_MA_4G

3-6 meg download on 4g vs. 600k - 1.4meg on 3g.

at this point, i'm not sure why i wouldn't want to switch.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    81 wrote:
    http://shop.sprint.com/en/solutions/mobile_broadband/mobile_broadband_4G.shtml?id16=isearch_MA_4G

3-6 meg download on 4g vs. 600k - 1.4meg on 3g.

at this point, i'm not sure why i wouldn't want to switch.

looks like Verizon is set to roll out 4G in 25-30 markets by the end of 2010... I live in Albany, NY, so chances are I'm waiting a while. I guess I'll get a 3G phone (the Incredible) and use it as a secondary internet access for now.

It will be interesting to see if he carriers up prices or put different levels in place. If unlimited data plans are $30 (or even $40-$50) and it can be used on a mobile phone and tethering/wifi, people are going to leave the cable/DSL providers in flocks.

From my link above:
    The technical trials had been taking place throughout 2010 in two cities, Boston and Seattle. In a video report on the Boston trials, which Verizon posted on YouTube (see below), the speeds reported were 5-12 Mbps for downloads and 2-5 Mbps for uploads. That’s a significant jump from 3G speeds, which typically top out at 1.5Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up.

5-12 Mbps... that's nice....
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    for those that are interested, i've been digging in to the 4g stuff and the EVO. the EVO comes with a wifi hotspot app built in. no need to download software, just turn it on and you have home wifi. sweet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    holy crap...i'm using alot of data....up to 7 gigs this month already.

god bless the EVO, 4g and tethering
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg