Word of the day

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Word of the day is legs. Why don't we go back to my place and "spread the word."

;)
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    sex.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    One for the thumb in '81.
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    DangDang wrote:

Sorry I have no idea what you're on about now dang dang!! :D :? ;)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
    tremors wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

I'm sorry too! :)
    DangDang wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

I'm sorry too! :)

Throw me a bone here woman :D I'm not a brilliant mind reader - all I can say is your avatar has gone monochrome. If it wasn't for that other thread where you were incredibly witty I might think you were an ignoramus!!

(good word??)

(remember what I said about shovels & holes btw? It's a major weakness of mine)

:lol:

tremors wrote:
    Throw me a bone here woman :D I'm not a brilliant mind reader - all I can say is your avatar has gone monochrome. If it wasn't for that other thread where you were incredibly witty I might think you were an ignoramus!!

(good word??)

Mickeyrats avatar is the Steelers 6 super bowl rings. I remember after they won their 4th superbowl in 1980, Mean Joe Greene's saying was "one for the thumb in '81".

So, bone, shovel, hole,--they're all very goods words.

Ignoramus? Not so much.
    DangDang wrote:
    tremors wrote:

(good word??)

Mickeyrats avatar is the Steelers 6 super bowl rings. I remember after they won their 4th superbowl in 1980, Mean Joe Greene's saying was "one for the thumb in '81".

Ignoramus? Not so much.

I see said the blind man!

How about

'cross-cultural'

tremors wrote:
    DangDang wrote:
    tremors wrote:

(good word??)

Ignoramus? Not so much.

I see said the blind man!

How about

'cross-cultural'

How about "not-so-quick-to-attempt-to-insult-and-using-a-shovel-as-an-excuse-or-something"?

Now THAT an Alanis line
    How about

trying to make a teasing-type-of-joke and realising it doesn't work in text-form, and then worrying about the best way of rectifying that, and not getting it right

How about leaning forward just a little bit so I can smack you up along side the head with your own shovel.

Just kidding :P .

Your shovel is made of air. :P

:|
    DangDang wrote:
    How about leaning forward just a little bit so I can smack you up along side the head with your own shovel.

Just kidding :P .

Your shovel is made of air. :P

:|

I'm all yours! >>>>>>> :| <<<<<<<<<<

How about finally, 'tremors, give up already on the many failed attempts to use British-style 'put-down' humour on the message board - it never works out!'

For me the word of today is 'magnanimity'

Something for the world to aspire towards (& cos I think I got off lightly)

tremors wrote:
    (& cos I think I got off lightly)

light as air?

magnanimity beats ignoramus to an airy pulp
    DangDang wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    (& cos I think I got off lightly)

light as air?

magnanimity beats ignoramus to an airy pulp

kewl, we're back on track then!

Light as air - float like a butterfly; sting like a butterfly

Bullseye
    DangDang wrote:
    Bullseye

Premonition
    DangDang wrote:
    DangDang wrote:
    Bullseye

Premonition

Denouement

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Expeditiously
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Expeditiously

good word! the best since the last good one. Had to look it up - thought it was maybe something like 'fortuitously', but no:

ex·pe·di·tious

–adjective
    characterized by promptness; quick: an expeditious answer to an inquiry.

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    tremors wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Expeditiously

good word! the best since the last good one. Had to look it up - thought it was maybe something like 'fortuitously', but no:

ex·pe·di·tious

–adjective
    characterized by promptness; quick: an expeditious answer to an inquiry.

thanks!! I don't have many but when i do..I appreciate the kudos! :D
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Maximum Kudos!!

don't you think it's strange how you can sometimes know 'roughly' what a word means, without fully knowing it - from the sense I guess.

I like looking at the roots of words - so many are inherited. My word appreciation gets me into trouble though - I remember at work one time I said I didn't think we should act now since 'circumstances weren't auspicious' - nobody had a fucking clue what I was on about!!

numbskulls
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    fortunate

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    copacetic

Eddie used it at the Hyde Park gig, it means very or completely satisfactory....
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    indifference

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    dottles wrote:
    copacetic

Eddie used it at the Hyde Park gig, it means very or completely satisfactory....

Oh yeah, I heard that - but thought it was connected to dirty frank - 'Keeps it clean. a keeps it copeseptic'

Have no idea what either word means!! (until you just told me that one) How about 'Copaseptic'??

For a so-called 'High-School Drop-out' Ed certainly knows his words - over the years he's taught me so much - he is really deep conceptually - makes you think about how words are used and the power of that. This is at the heart of why I love PJ so much.

Can someone make me up a t-shirt up sayin "Eddie Vedder - Expanding Our Minds since 1991" !!?

Pyrrhic

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    A Pyrrhic victory (IPA: /ˈpɪrɪk/) is a victory with devastating cost to the victor. The phrase is an allusion to King Pyrrhus of Epirus, whose army suffered irreplaceable casualties in defeating the Romans at Heraclea in 280 BC and Asculum in 279 BC during the Pyrrhic War. After the latter battle, Plutarch relates in a report by Dionysius:

The armies separated; and, it is said, Pyrrhus replied to one that gave him joy of his victory that one more such victory would utterly undo him. For he had lost a great part of the forces he brought with him, and almost all his particular friends and principal commanders; there were no others there to make recruits, and he found the confederates in Italy backward. On the other hand, as from a fountain continually flowing out of the city, the Roman camp was quickly and plentifully filled up with fresh men, not at all abating in courage for the loss they sustained, but even from their very anger gaining new force and resolution to go on with the war.[1]

In both of Pyrrhus's victories, the Romans lost more men than Pyrrhus did. However, the Romans had a much larger supply of men from which to draw soldiers, so their losses did less damage to their war effort than Pyrrhus's losses did to his.

The report is often quoted as "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone." While it is most closely associated with a military battle, the term is used by analogy in fields such as business, politics, law, literature, and sport to describe any similar struggle which is ruinous for the victor, such as the USFL v. NFL lawsuit.

• Vainglorious
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Vainglorious

Ooh, get you!
    Another one to look up (I knew pyrrhic)

   
    /ˈveɪnˌglɔri, -
    –noun
    excessive elation or pride over one's own achievements, abilities, etc.; boastful vanity.
    (sounds a bit like myself!)
    empty pomp or show.
    Origin:

c.1300, "worthless glory," waynglori , from O.Fr. vaine glorie , from M.L. vana gloria (see vain + glory). Related: Vainglorious .