Video: Seattle police office punches a 17 year old girl

2»

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I read this and what jumped out at me at first is the weather on the top of the page says it is 48 degrees in Seattle right now. I guess it is 9:30 out there.

for the past three days it has been 80 degrees in Atlanta at 7 am when i go to work.

Jesus christ i can't imagine it being that cold in June.

I cna't watch the video at work but in the article it sounds like these two were monkeying around the guy for 2-3 minutes before it escalated. 2-3 minutes is a long time to put up with shit.

sounds like this punk deserved what she got. If she did what she was supposed to do and gave her information none of this would have happend.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550
    I'm a white guy in Tennessee. Law enforcement has never given me a reason to hate them. I'm sure it's different for minorities in high population areas. I mean shit, gangsta rap evolved from black hatred towards the PO PO and I think we've all benefited from that.

But, I don't want to live in a society where a motherfucker thinks they can just go up to a cop and start getting physical with them. I think 10 times out of 10, you'll wind up on the business end of an ass beating. I have NEVER seen a video where someone attacked a cop and it turned out okay for them.

Being 17 didn't have shit to do with this. She got physical with a cop and got that skull rocked. She's old enough to know that was a retarded decision.

That being said, what the fuck is wrong with grown men in this country? Are we not able to fight better than that? This man failed at physically controlling a young woman and he's had training in this stuff. It's been a while since I've whooped an ass but I'd like to think I could do better than that lame dick effort.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    I'm a white guy in Tennessee. Law enforcement has never given me a reason to hate them. I'm sure it's different for minorities in high population areas. I mean shit, gangsta rap evolved from black hatred towards the PO PO and I think we've all benefited from that.

But, I don't want to live in a society where a motherfucker thinks they can just go up to a cop and start getting physical with them. I think 10 times out of 10, you'll wind up on the business end of an ass beating. I have NEVER seen a video where someone attacked a cop and it turned out okay for them.

Being 17 didn't have shit to do with this. She got physical with a cop and got that skull rocked. She's old enough to know that was a retarded decision.

That being said, what the fuck is wrong with grown men in this country? Are we not able to fight better than that? This man failed at physically controlling a young woman and he's had training in this stuff. It's been a while since I've whooped an ass but I'd like to think I could do better than that lame dick effort.

communicational skills are dire.
    a law officer must possess this attribute.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

I think he used great restraint in not knocking her ass to the ground and kneeing her in the back.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758

actually he would have shown up because they usually do all their court dates on the same day, whenever a cop goes out he has the day already scheduled to be in court for whatever he writes a ticket for (unless it's something you get arrested for)

of course their actions weren't the best, but who knows what was going on before the camera, as the guy is walking over you hear her yelling for him to get his hand off her neck. why would his hand be on her neck? was he trying to search her? if a cop tried to search me for jaywalking i'd be mad, too as it would be violating the 4th amendment.

i don't see how punching a girl in the face helped this situation at all. i also don't see how the situation would've been worse had he not punched a girl in the face. so it's an over reaction. certainly they should have gone about it in a better way, unless it was a situation in which he was trying to search her without reasonable cause in which case i'd say they have a right to resist but there are better ways than punching her in the face.

also, i can guarantee you if someone in this forum got a ticket for jaywalking and posted that here 99.9% of the people would be saying what a waste of time it was to go after them for that. and if that person said they were detained at the cops car with his hand on their neck i'm sure just as many would say it was an overreaction

Ahh, I see, I was not aware of how the court system works in regards to contesting a citation. In regards to the girl shouting about the hand on her neck, I am thinking that that occurred after she first walked away and he attempted to subdue and cuff her the first time. It's obvious from the video that the videographer did not catch the beginning of the incident (where the officer first pulled the girls over for jaywalking and asked them to identify themselves for a citation). So, if that was the case, then the officer is entitled to do a pat down. Just out of curiosity, when have you ever seen a person resisting arrest come out better off? I only ask this because I was forced to watch numerous cop shows (i.e. COPS) and police chase shows while my parents were visiting this week. Seems to me that that never works out well for the one doing the resisting ;):lol::lol:

I agree with you about getting a ticket for jaywalking. I, too, would be saying that it sucks getting a ticket for it. Still doesn't negate the fact that it is illegal or unlawful to do. Hell, I might even bitch about getting a speeding ticket, but realistically I'd be thinking, "well, they caught me this time." Chances are that most of us break a law or numerous laws everyday, for example driving 5-10 mph/Kph over the speed limit. But really, how often do you actually get caught in relation to how often you do it?

Honestly, this is only being blown out of proportion because it was a male hitting a female. The officer did not use excessive force, he punched her once after she laid her hands on him, preventing him from doing his job. She was the aggressor. You can see her friend trying to hold her back and failing.

actually jaywalking does not entitle a cop to search you, to be searched a cop needs a reasonable suspicion you have something (and be reasonable enough to hold up in court and enough to get a warrant) or a warrant or your permission otherwise it violates the 4th amendment to the constitution
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    actually jaywalking does not entitle a cop to search you, to be searched a cop needs a reasonable suspicion you have something (and be reasonable enough to hold up in court and enough to get a warrant) or a warrant or your permission otherwise it violates the 4th amendment to the constitution

search warrants are fantastic.
    even more so when the policeman does not have a warrant.
    that is very amazingly outstanding for the criminal, not so incredible for the lawman.

i've been let go due to no warrant @ least twice, maybe more.
    they still took the greenery. :evil:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    chadwick wrote:

that is very amazingly outstanding for the criminal, not so incredible for the lawman.

cool, all i'm saying is us citizens have the right to not be searched unless for reasonable cause. if you get pulled over for no seat belt a cop doesn't have the right to search you or your car. if you get caught jaywalking a cop doesn't have the right to search you. if you get pulled over for throwing a cup out of your car the cop doesn't have a right to search you or your car. if a cop pulls you over because your tail light is out the cop doesn't have the right to search you or your car.....the cop must have a reason to suspect you have something, jaywalking isn't one of them. it has to be a good enough reason for grounds for a search warrant, not 'just because a cop said so'

there have been times i got pulled over and was asked to search my car and even when i didn't have anything to hide i said no and that was that. just because a cop tells me to do something if the constitution tells me he has no right to do it then i will refuse, i'm not going to willingly cede my rights just because a cop tells me to, fuck that. just because a cop has authority over me and can make it worse if he is violating my constitutional rights then i won't just lie down and meekly obey because of fear of his power
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I am no fan of cops, and I think this guy was a dick for punching that girl. But my question is, what makes someone decide to turn a simple jaywalking ticket into a physical confrontation? These girls were morons. But they'll probably get off now because the dumb ass cop lost control and took a swing at one of them.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    All I know is, the guy filming this needs to be punched about five times as hard as what the girl got.
    every hoodrat thinks hes got his law degree :roll:

should be interesting to see what the fallout is with this... he's almost sure to lose his job just so the PD can do damage control

all i know is i wouldn't want to be in that policeman's position... shit part of town... he's lucky he didnt get jumped
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    chadwick wrote:

cool, all i'm saying is us citizens have the right to not be searched unless for reasonable cause. if you get pulled over for no seat belt a cop doesn't have the right to search you or your car. if you get caught jaywalking a cop doesn't have the right to search you. if you get pulled over for throwing a cup out of your car the cop doesn't have a right to search you or your car. if a cop pulls you over because your tail light is out the cop doesn't have the right to search you or your car.....the cop must have a reason to suspect you have something, jaywalking isn't one of them. it has to be a good enough reason for grounds for a search warrant, not 'just because a cop said so'

there have been times i got pulled over and was asked to search my car and even when i didn't have anything to hide i said no and that was that. just because a cop tells me to do something if the constitution tells me he has no right to do it then i will refuse, i'm not going to willingly cede my rights just because a cop tells me to, fuck that. just because a cop has authority over me and can make it worse if he is violating my constitutional rights then i won't just lie down and meekly obey because of fear of his power
    Pepe, but aside from refusal of the search (which is allowed), you were polite and otherwise in compliance with the officers who have detained you?

Doesn't beligerence toward an officer, in addition to obstructing the lawful execution of the officers duty, give rise to a reasonable suspicion on the officers part(walking away without being told you"re free to go about your business)? Regardless of how petty the offense may seem, for all we know they could have caused drivers to have to swerve or take some kind of evasive action , putting others at greater risk to avoid hitting these girls. At that point , doesn't jaywalking rise above a petty bullshit offense?

Add to this , shoving the cop while trying to cuff her friend? Damn lucky to get only the punch.Garantee you , had that happened here where I live? More would have been done to detain and restrain. With GOOD reason too!!
    Seriously dude. Thay have a job. Throw protect and serve out all you want, but the simple fact is they are doing their job. Dont like these petty laws? Work to get them taken off the books.

My motto is , let them do their fucking job, so I can be on my way.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I didn't read what actually prompted you to say that, but actually I believe once an office has decided to arrest you, they have the right to search your person for "their" safety.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    All I know is, the guy filming this needs to be punched about five times as hard as what the girl got.
    every hoodrat thinks hes got his law degree :roll:

should be interesting to see what the fallout is with this... he's almost sure to lose his job just so the PD can do damage control

all i know is i wouldn't want to be in that policeman's position... shit part of town... he's lucky he didnt get jumped
    That is one of the things that surprised me the most; that he didn't get jumped by the mob surrounding him. I guess they were all too busy fidgeting with their camera phones.
  • If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce