Video: Seattle police office punches a 17 year old girl

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
And in this particular case, after watching the video....I am on the police officers side with this one.

There are so many things involved though. But in the end, I am on the cop's side.

Video (Unedited): http://www.kirotv.com/video/23904902/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    That's a tough one...

a few thoughts:
    1) jaywalking is such a horseshit offense, and it definitely isn't worth escalating to this.
    2) but once the girl started fighting back and resisting, what is the cop really supposed to do? then you have a second person getting involved, and now the cop is outnumbered with more people standing by.
    3) either he packs up shop and gets out of there, or he has to do what he can to contain the people and get himself out of danger (perceived or real). He is engaged with one girl, and second is grabbing him, what happens if a 3rd person grabs his gun while he's tied up?

While punching her in the face looks terrible, is it better to taze her?

What seemed odd is that this cop was unable to take the first girl down and cuff her... do they not get good training? I took karate classes for a couple years like 20 years ago, and I would think that I could pretty cleanly/easily take down a teenage girl who I was bigger and stronger than.

In the end, what the fuck is wrong with people though? A cop stops you and asks you for identification because you committed a crime, why start resisting and fighting him/her? It's NEVER going to end in your favor.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    That's a tough one...

a few thoughts:
    1) jaywalking is such a horseshit offense, and it definitely isn't worth escalating to this.
    2) but once the girl started fighting back and resisting, what is the cop really supposed to do? then you have a second person getting involved, and now the cop is outnumbered with more people standing by.
    3) either he packs up shop and gets out of there, or he has to do what he can to contain the people and get himself out of danger (perceived or real). He is engaged with one girl, and second is grabbing him, what happens if a 3rd person grabs his gun while he's tied up?

While punching her in the face looks terrible, is it better to taze her?

What seemed odd is that this cop was unable to take the first girl down and cuff her... do they not get good training? I took karate classes for a couple years like 20 years ago, and I would think that I could pretty cleanly/easily take down a teenage girl who I was bigger and stronger than.

In the end, what the fuck is wrong with people though? A cop stops you and asks you for identification because you committed a crime, why start resisting and fighting him/her? It's NEVER going to end in your favor.
    Yeah, you summed that up nicely for me. I agree with you on all counts.

On the cop having a long struggle with the original girl...I think that is his fault in the first place. If she was a dude, and he had made the decision to physically detain this person, the dudes face would have been face to the pavement and he would have had a firm knee in his back while the cuffs are swiftly slapped on. i think the cop was trying to not totally over power her and probably was astounded at he amount of struggling she did.

That second girl got what she had coming. I mean, come on, who do they think they are? The whole thing baffles me.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yeah, you summed that up nicely for me. I agree with you on all counts.

On the cop having a long struggle with the original girl...I think that is his fault in the first place. If she was a dude, and he had made the decision to physically detain this person, the dudes face would have been face to the pavement and he would have had a firm knee in his back while the cuffs are swiftly slapped on. i think the cop was trying to not totally over power her and probably was astounded at he amount of struggling she did.

That second girl got what she had coming. I mean, come on, who do they think they are? The whole thing baffles me.

I disagree.

I think that whole situation would have been better had he immediately restrained her the second she started flailing in his direction.
    Had he restrained her rather than taking a swing at her, this wouldn't even be an issue, or a video worth watching on internet boards.

Even AFTER he took a swing at her, he still dicked around with her...
    I'm not cop, but if it "comes to blows" and it still takes you 5 minutes to cuff a GIRL...you are one shit cop!
  • All I know is, the guy filming this needs to be punched about five times as hard as what the girl got.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    That's a tough one...

He is engaged with one girl, and second is grabbing him, what happens if a 3rd person grabs his gun while he's tied up?

had her or a 3rd person tried to grab his gun this would be a point, however.....what happened was a group of young girls were being detained for jaywalking.

sure she probably shouldn't have grabbed his arm but what would've happened if he had let her arm go? at the most she might run off and -gasp- jaywalk another day!? :shock: seriously, is that the argument?

secondly the cop didn't even have his back turned when this happened, so it's not like he thought someone was trying to grab his gun or anything, he got pissed and punched her. he wasn't in fear for his life or unsure of what might happen next.

i say the cop is a jackass and needs to stop being such a pussy and get his quota doing real police work :thumbdown:

IT WAS FUCKING JAYWALKING to go to such lengths to detain people over that is just fucking stupid. how many of you don't wear your seat belts? i would like to see a cop detain you at his car with his hand on your neck for jaywalking or not wearing your seatbelt or something really small. i'm sure you guys would be on here bitching about what a dick he was for going to all that trouble over such a small infraction

protect and serve - who was he protecting?

what about people who rip the tags off their mattress?
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Hmm, interesting and disturbing turn of events. I agree with blackredyellow. This whole situation could have gotten a lot worse. Way too many people hovering around the confrontation, shouting and recording . . . that could have led to a very bad result. I actually think the officer used remarkable restraint under very difficult circumstances. Imagine what he was thinking, a minor traffic violation had suddenly blown up into a potential disaster (read: potential riot) situation. After the first couple of minutes watching the video, I was thinking where the hell is the back-up?

This may not be relevant, but the original arresting officer sounds Afrikaans. I imagine, although I have no evidence to support this claim, that he may have been trained in South Africa. I'm quite sure their police services have been trained in somewhat different tactics ;) Thus, I'm sure that that officer could have used much harsher methods of controlling that first chick, but those methods may have been viewed as way OTT. As I said, this speculation may not even be relevant to the discussion, I only mentioned it because it may be possible that the Seattle PD, much like many PDs in Canada, have been recruiting officers from overseas.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    That's a tough one...

He is engaged with one girl, and second is grabbing him, what happens if a 3rd person grabs his gun while he's tied up?

had her or a 3rd person tried to grab his gun this would be a point, however.....what happened was a group of young girls were being detained for jaywalking.

sure she probably shouldn't have grabbed his arm but what would've happened if he had let her arm go? at the most she might run off and -gasp- jaywalk another day!? :shock: seriously, is that the argument?

secondly the cop didn't even have his back turned when this happened, so it's not like he thought someone was trying to grab his gun or anything, he got pissed and punched her. he wasn't in fear for his life or unsure of what might happen next.

i say the cop is a jackass and needs to stop being such a pussy and get his quota doing real police work :thumbdown:

IT WAS FUCKING JAYWALKING to go to such lengths to detain people over that is just fucking stupid. how many of you don't wear your seat belts? i would like to see a cop detain you at his car with his hand on your neck for jaywalking or not wearing your seatbelt or something really small. i'm sure you guys would be on here bitching about what a dick he was for going to all that trouble over such a small infraction

Um, actually that's what he was doing. He was enforcing a law (or by-law). Just because a law seems inconsequential to you doesn't mean that it shouldn't be enforced (that goes for seatbelts violations and speeding tickets as well).

The simple fact is she is the one that caused the situation. Hell, if she'd cooperated in the beginning, she probably could have gone to court to contest the citation. Chances are he wouldn't have showed up in court and she probably could have gotten out of the ticket. Regardless, she is responsible for her actions. The girl isn't stupid, just wilfull, entitled and ignorant. The one that jumped in between the arresting officer and the suspect, on the other-hand, had more courage than brains at the moment. Not exactly a good combination when dealing with someone who is a lawful police officer and armed to boot.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    That's a tough one...

Um, actually that's what he was doing. He was enforcing a law (or by-law). Just because a law seems inconsequential to you doesn't mean that it shouldn't be enforced (that goes for seatbelts violations and speeding tickets as well).

The simple fact is she is the one that caused the situation. Hell, if she'd cooperated in the beginning, she probably could have gone to court to contest the citation. Chances are he wouldn't have showed up in court and she probably could have gotten out of the ticket. Regardless, she is responsible for her actions. The girl isn't stupid, just wilfull, entitled and ignorant. The one that jumped in between the arresting officer and the suspect, on the other-hand, had more courage than brains at the moment. Not exactly a good combination when dealing with someone who is a lawful police officer and armed to boot.

actually he would have shown up because they usually do all their court dates on the same day, whenever a cop goes out he has the day already scheduled to be in court for whatever he writes a ticket for (unless it's something you get arrested for)

of course their actions weren't the best, but who knows what was going on before the camera, as the guy is walking over you hear her yelling for him to get his hand off her neck. why would his hand be on her neck? was he trying to search her? if a cop tried to search me for jaywalking i'd be mad, too as it would be violating the 4th amendment.

i don't see how punching a girl in the face helped this situation at all. i also don't see how the situation would've been worse had he not punched a girl in the face. so it's an over reaction. certainly they should have gone about it in a better way, unless it was a situation in which he was trying to search her without reasonable cause in which case i'd say they have a right to resist but there are better ways than punching her in the face.

also, i can guarantee you if someone in this forum got a ticket for jaywalking and posted that here 99.9% of the people would be saying what a waste of time it was to go after them for that. and if that person said they were detained at the cops car with his hand on their neck i'm sure just as many would say it was an overreaction
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Its quite simple:

If a cop asks for your ID....JUST GIVE IT TO HIM/HER.

The second you start screwing around (walking/running/resisting)...That cop owns you. Any reasonable police officer would come to conclusion that if you decide you don't want to cooperate...somethings up that needs to be further investigated.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .

actually he would have shown up because they usually do all their court dates on the same day, whenever a cop goes out he has the day already scheduled to be in court for whatever he writes a ticket for (unless it's something you get arrested for)

of course their actions weren't the best, but who knows what was going on before the camera, as the guy is walking over you hear her yelling for him to get his hand off her neck. why would his hand be on her neck? was he trying to search her? if a cop tried to search me for jaywalking i'd be mad, too as it would be violating the 4th amendment.

i don't see how punching a girl in the face helped this situation at all. i also don't see how the situation would've been worse had he not punched a girl in the face. so it's an over reaction. certainly they should have gone about it in a better way, unless it was a situation in which he was trying to search her without reasonable cause in which case i'd say they have a right to resist but there are better ways than punching her in the face.

also, i can guarantee you if someone in this forum got a ticket for jaywalking and posted that here 99.9% of the people would be saying what a waste of time it was to go after them for that. and if that person said they were detained at the cops car with his hand on their neck i'm sure just as many would say it was an overreaction

Ahh, I see, I was not aware of how the court system works in regards to contesting a citation. In regards to the girl shouting about the hand on her neck, I am thinking that that occurred after she first walked away and he attempted to subdue and cuff her the first time. It's obvious from the video that the videographer did not catch the beginning of the incident (where the officer first pulled the girls over for jaywalking and asked them to identify themselves for a citation). So, if that was the case, then the officer is entitled to do a pat down. Just out of curiosity, when have you ever seen a person resisting arrest come out better off? I only ask this because I was forced to watch numerous cop shows (i.e. COPS) and police chase shows while my parents were visiting this week. Seems to me that that never works out well for the one doing the resisting ;):lol::lol:

I agree with you about getting a ticket for jaywalking. I, too, would be saying that it sucks getting a ticket for it. Still doesn't negate the fact that it is illegal or unlawful to do. Hell, I might even bitch about getting a speeding ticket, but realistically I'd be thinking, "well, they caught me this time." Chances are that most of us break a law or numerous laws everyday, for example driving 5-10 mph/Kph over the speed limit. But really, how often do you actually get caught in relation to how often you do it?

Honestly, this is only being blown out of proportion because it was a male hitting a female. The officer did not use excessive force, he punched her once after she laid her hands on him, preventing him from doing his job. She was the aggressor. You can see her friend trying to hold her back and failing.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    those chics are in the wrong. they're loud, squirrely, and fulla shit. the guy with the camera needs punched too, he's loud, squirrely, and all up in it.

good cop
    bad doughnut.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    All I know is, the guy filming this needs to be punched about five times as hard as what the girl got.

yea he is awful.

this stuff happens when you don't listen to police. i have never had a proble. i'll stand on my head if they tell me. there is no point arguing or resisting.
    and i wish he would have ko'd that chick. you don't grab cops. period.
    jones wrote:
    All I know is, the guy filming this needs to be punched about five times as hard as what the girl got.

yea he is awful.

this stuff happens when you don't listen to police. i have never had a proble. i'll stand on my head if they tell me. there is no point arguing or resisting.
    in most simple ass cases you can laugh your ass off with police.
    cop: hands on the car.
    me: ok, i can do that.
    cop:stand here and be quiet...
    me: simple shit, i can do that.
    cop: here's your ticket for jaywalking or speeding or whatever...
    me: thank you Sir, im outta here...

you dont yell at the cop, you don't wrestle around grabbing the policeman.
    those chics are idiotic and will use the racist card.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    When I read this thread title, I knew the 17 year old girl would be black.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

What does her colour have to do with anything?

I'd rather not elaborate because it might make me sound racist...which I'm not.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Once an officer moves forward and attempts to issue a citation, the best thing to do is to just shut-up, take it, and then fight it in court if you believe strongly enough against it. So yeah, the girls were definitely in the wrong. Never get physical with a cop, especially if you've already been arrested for assaulting an officer like the genius in the black shirt has.

But with that said, this cop is a total lame ass for going through all this trouble. I work with some ex-cops, and I always shoot the shit with them and ask them random questions, and from what I've gathered, when it comes to minor shit like this (jaywalking, not wearing a seatbelt, etc..) the cop has to ask himself if he is going to put himself or others in more danger if he proceeds than if he is to just let it go. And clearly this cop did not think this way, judging by the offense, the street traffic and the crowd of people around.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    chadwick wrote:
    jones wrote:

yea he is awful.

in most simple ass cases you can laugh your ass off with police.
    cop: hands on the car.
    me: ok, i can do that.
    cop:stand here and be quiet...
    me: simple shit, i can do that.
    cop: here's your ticket for jaywalking or speeding or whatever...
    me: thank you Sir, im outta here...

you dont yell at the cop, you don't wrestle around grabbing the policeman.
    those chics are idiotic and will use the racist card.

Totally true. I have got out of situations with cops just because I was respectful with them and made jokes. Now, I do not like cops as a general rule (kind of conflict with my lifestyle) but I sure as hell know how to act around them. What you don't do is start any kind of shit.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    yea you can joke around with a cop. i have before too. but when i get pulled over i toss my keys on the dash and put my hands on the steering wheel. i got messed with by too many cops in detroit.

but once i moved to orlando and did that i got laughed at..like relax kid.

either way i'm listening. and i'll say again. homegirl deserved a knock in the face...not that i would do it
  • When I read this thread title, I knew the 17 year old girl would be black.

I'd rather not elaborate because it might make me sound racist...which I'm not.

I think it may be a tad late for that...

:thumbdown:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    You know what kills me, they're going to sue and probably get a lot of money because of it. Makes me sick. People that act like that are ignorant and don't deserve to be a part of general society.

I hate to say that, but that's how I feel. She continually provoked that officer the entire time with her filthy mouth and ignorance. How many times did the N word come out of her mouth???

And all the onlookers yelling shit the whole time puts the officer in a very dangerous situation.

And as far as jaywalking - jaywalking can cause some serious traffic problems, I have no problem with the officer enforcing that law.
    You know what kills me, they're going to sue and probably get a lot of money because of it. Makes me sick. People that act like that are ignorant and don't deserve to be a part of general society.

I hate to say that, but that's how I feel. She continually provoked that officer the entire time with her filthy mouth and ignorance. How many times did the N word come out of her mouth???

And all the onlookers yelling shit the whole time puts the officer in a very dangerous situation.

And as far as jaywalking - jaywalking can cause some serious traffic problems, I have no problem with the officer enforcing that law.

as far as the jwalking goes you're right.
    it may seem ridiculous, but i have almost hit countless people in the road. one road in particular right by my work that happens to be surrounded by low income housing.
    there will be mothers with kids, sometimes in strollers, running across or standing in the left turn lane of this road. this is a 6 lane conjested road. a lot of times they're just 20 feet from the stop light.
    many times i wished a cop would just do something. but it never happens. i guess we know why

Wrong dude. There's a difference between sterotyping and being a racist. I'm a Social Worker in Delaware County (just outside of Philly) and from my experiences working with youths, I had to assume that it would be a black girl who be all loud and aggressive to a point where a cop (who is totally wrong to do this) would punch her.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I logged into the Seattle Times to see how it is being played out in the media. It appears an investigation is being conducted (which is warranted and normal in a situation such as this).

I’m glad to see the many comments support the officer’s actions.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    That bitch totally deserved it. And that wigger filming needs to be punched in the face.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09

• I think it may be a tad late for that...

Wrong dude. There's a difference between sterotyping and being a racist. I'm a Social Worker in Delaware County (just outside of Philly) and from my experiences working with youths, I had to assume that it would be a black girl who be all loud and aggressive to a point where a cop (who is totally wrong to do this) would punch her.

Well for the record, I didn't say you were, I just pointed out that it may be too late for it to sound like that. I guess I didn't see what you hoped to get out of posting a comment like that.

And I do agree that stereotyping is totally different than being racist.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Totally true. I have got out of situations with cops just because I was respectful with them and made jokes. Now, I do not like cops as a general rule (kind of conflict with my lifestyle) but I sure as hell know how to act around them. What you don't do is start any kind of shit.

like you, i have been in some jams with the law.
    show them respect and calm mannerisms and it'll be ok.
    be an idiot and you'll get jammed up.

driving without a driver's license, no motorcycle endorement on license if had driver's license, out running the sheriff deputies @ least 7 times, out running iowa state patrol @ least once or three times, out running the police department, driving while feeling good, no seatbelt, no car insurance, and speeding...

they never got me for anything serious i may have or have not been up to.
    one thing is for sure.
    i've never spent one second in a jail cell.
    i've had a million fines and paid them all.
    and i've never wore handcuffs.

all of the out running the law was mostly done on a motorcycle and maybe in a car a time or two.
    a couple times i was on my feet slippin thru the shadows like a wolf does the night.

i have done my duty in keeping the law officers of the midwestern united states entertained for many years.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Well for the record, I didn't say you were, I just pointed out that it may be too late for it to sound like that. I guess I didn't see what you hoped to get out of posting a comment like that.

And I do agree that stereotyping is totally different than being racist.

I didn't hope for anything. I expected responses like yours....but didn't hope for anything in particular. I read the thread title, thought to myself "I bet it's a black girl", watched the first 20 seconds of the video to confirm, and posted what was on my mind.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I didn't hope for anything. I expected responses like yours....but didn't hope for anything in particular. I read the thread title, thought to myself "I bet it's a black girl", watched the first 20 seconds of the video to confirm, and posted what was on my mind.

you shoulda seen when they ran into my tractor trailer down in florida.
    unreal.
    first of all this chic driving hit my DOT bumper that's mounted under and on the trailer.
    very study metal bumper.
    im at a red light sitting behind a line of cars.
    her and her car full of friends... slam into my trailer ripping her car up like a can opener to a can of peaches.

no one was injured.
    everyone one of them (at least 5 young people) are screaming and on their cell phones.
    within 2 minutes 43 family members and their friends were there yelling at the police and me.

they hit my trailer at like 30 mph or so.
    no injuries.
    i barely felt the impact.

they kept yelling, yelling, and yelling at the police officers.
    i could not believe my eyes.
    one of them asked me for my driver's license.
    i told her the cop has it and that is enough.
    she walked away.
    then as the cop is writing out paper work and her violation or whatever.... knocking on his car window @ least 2 times interrupting the officer's paper work... all while the 43 family members and friends are yelling, jumping up and down.

all i was trying to do was deliver my truck load of apples to southern florida... fuck.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce