Anyone fancy a war on vuvuzela's?

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Now surely that's something worthwhile?????????????????? :oops: I have to turn the feckin volume down on the matches cos I think my ears are gonna start bleeding :o Surely it's gotta be some kinda attempt at brainwashing everybody?

Anyway burn the vuvus, burn them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    It is kind of sad that those have been the focus of this World Cup.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I prefer the crowd chanting
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    They're so annoying. And yet - I ordered one for my husband for Father's Day. Orange, so he can support the Netherlands (his heritage is Dutch). He can blow it one time then we can have the ceremonial breaking of the vuvuzela.

I wonder about being in the stadium and sitting next to a group of people blowing them the whole time. Man, your ears must be bleeding.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    eyedclaar wrote:
    It is kind of sad that those have been the focus of this World Cup.
    Agreed... and it's gonna be remembered for it too... unless they stop it... which they won't... so it looks like this is the year of the vuvu :oops:

I reckon there's a half decent chance it's affecting the quality of the games too, how the hell could ANYONE focus during that?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Anyway burn the vuvus, burn them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You can have my vote on that one :D
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    smarchee wrote:

I do too, but this is Africa's World Cup ... and this is how they do it. Let them have their fun.

Now, if this crap was brought oversees, I'd say ban that crap. I honestly hate all artificial noice makers like this, or the thundersticks that the Anaheim Angels made popular here in the US.

But for Africa ... keep 'em.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i heard the bbc was going to put up a separate feed of the games with the vuvu's filtered out...why can't they (and espn) just do it for all the feeds? :?
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:
    i heard the bbc was going to put up a separate feed of the games with the vuvu's filtered out...why can't they (and espn) just do it for all the feeds? :?

They did starting with today's games ... it was far less pronounced. Supposedly, it'll get better.

But, I do miss the chanting / singing.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ya man, Hugo Chavez is a dick.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    this vuvuzelas sound is worst than bed creaks during sex..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • i think they are great , its why the the world cup is in differant counties and this is africas . would not want them in the premier league week in week out :)
    Wembly Arena-oct 28-1996 . MEN-june 04-2000 . MSG-july 08-2003 . MSG-july 09-2003 . GM Place-sep 02-2005 . Pengrowth Saddledome-sep 05-2005 . Astoria-april 20-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 15-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 16-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 18-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 22-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 23-2006 . Leeds Festival-aug 25-2006 . Wembley Arena-june 18-2007 . Forum Copenhagen-june 26-2007 . Verizon Amphitheatre-june 17-2008 . MSG-june 24-2008 . MSG-june 25-2008 . Sheperds Bush Empire-aug 11-2009 . MEN-aug 17-2009 . O2 arena-aug 18-2009 . United Centre-aug 23-2009 . United Centre-aug 24-2009 . MSG-may 20-2010 . MSG-may 21-2010 . Hyde Park-june 25-2010 . Air Canada Centre-sep 11-2011 . Air Canada Centre-sep 12-2011
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    The real question here Helen is: Why are YOU watching the World Cup?
    :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I just like saying the word vuvuzela.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    remind me of boobs,cos in Greek boobs = vizia!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    remind me of boobs,cos in Greek boobs = vizia!!!
    :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Are people vajazzling their vuvuzelas?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I haven't watched a match, and I've never heard it spoken.... but in my mind I keep hearing vulvazuela....
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561

It's odd but every time I see the word I think it's something rude.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    :lol::lol:

i love vuvuzelas!!!

i dont see what the big deal is. supporting your team means making as much noise as possible.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    ya man, Hugo Chavez is a dick.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    I like shaved vuvuzela's the best ... 8-)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    jimed14 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

I do too, but this is Africa's World Cup ... and this is how they do it. Let them have their fun.

Now, if this crap was brought oversees, I'd say ban that crap. I honestly hate all artificial noice makers like this, or the thundersticks that the Anaheim Angels made popular here in the US.

agree with all of this. it's home field tradition. everyone has to get over it and focus their attention on the games.
  • I love the mute and closed caption feature on my TV....
  • rival. wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

agree with all of this. it's home field tradition. everyone has to get over it and focus their attention on the games.

I agree, this is Africa's way. It has been strangely quiet here today. I think everyone is a bit nervous about tonight's game. Last Friday before the first match it was crazy. Everywhere you went you heard the vuvuzelas. All day. We had a meeting at work and we had to stop several times because the vuvuzelas outside were so loud we couldn't hear. Hoping for a big win and a very loud celebration tonight!
    10/1/96, 10/14/00, 5/2/03, 6/28/03, 10/1/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/19/05, 5/9/06, 5/10/06, 5/12/06, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 8/12/08 6/8/09 6/9/09(EV), 8/21/09, 10/27-28-30-31/09, 5/10/10
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    It's an African tradition for... what... six years??????? If it was in a certain Irish city (so as not to offend others) could they go around stabbing everyone and call it tradition and say it's the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx way????? I doubt it... so why can the Africans go around destroying everyones hearing?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    jimed14 wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/bronx_blowhards_v3yRWOSPKLLHaIUNFaus1I
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    It's an African tradition for... what... six years??????? If it was in a certain Irish city (so as not to offend others) could they go around stabbing everyone and call it tradition and say it's the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx way????? I doubt it... so why can the Africans go around destroying everyones hearing?

jeez helen you amuse me sometimes... id hate to hear wht you say if you were actually in south africa sitting next to an enthusiastic supporter... stabbing someone doesnt really equate to making a whole lot of noise for ones own amusement.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • It's an African tradition for... what... six years??????? If it was in a certain Irish city (so as not to offend others) could they go around stabbing everyone and call it tradition and say it's the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx way????? I doubt it... so why can the Africans go around destroying everyones hearing?

Making them out of plastic and blowing them at soccer games may be a recent phenomenon. But the original, authentic version, made of kudu horn, dates back hundreds of years. So its definitely based on a long tradition. You still see the "real thing" on occasion at the games and celebrations here.
    10/1/96, 10/14/00, 5/2/03, 6/28/03, 10/1/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/19/05, 5/9/06, 5/10/06, 5/12/06, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 8/12/08 6/8/09 6/9/09(EV), 8/21/09, 10/27-28-30-31/09, 5/10/10
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    i think there should be a war faught WITH vuvuzela's. You'd drive your enemy's away
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I am hearing constant Vuvuzelas in my head even when the games arent on now.