Options

new Kings of Leon song.. video link

illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
edited July 2010 in Other Music
ok so they're playing some new songs currently on tour..

this one's called southbound, whatcha think?

i'm really digging..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTAJ88hg4o
wah
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    first thing I thought when I heard it was, "this sounds like it could be a PJ song". Could you imagine how much better it would sound if Ed was singing this song, its perfect for his singing. I definitely like it alot though.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    wow...sweet new tune. Cant wait to see them in July.
    ctd
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I'm diggin the new song - thanks for posting it!

But why are there so many people on stage?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Love this new song. I'm going to see them for the first time this summer. Can't wait! Hope they play it.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Good stuff. I liked the OBTN, but I hope their next album gets back to their early roots. This is a good sign!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    not too bad. there was a video of them the day before at the borgata, but the sound was horrible.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    when is the new album due?
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I'm diggin the new song - thanks for posting it!

yeh i wonder! i don't follow them online during tour time, maybe support act or something?
    wah
  • Options
    when is the new album due?

no word yet.. maybe early next year?

http://www.soundspike.com/news/tour/64- ... trail.html

beachy sound? :wtf:
    wah
  • Options
    awilkins wrote:

wow, quite diff to southbound!!

catchy..
    wah
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Love "Radioactive," it sounds almost like a Because of the Times track.
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    LukinFan wrote:
    They're playing along with The Whigs (opening band).

My first impression is these tracks are better than pretty much everything on their last album, but still far away from what I used to love about them. Southbound sounds like a slower country version of Fans... Boring. Then again, music and taste are always so subjective, right?
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    Sounds great. I look forward to there new material.
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i hope this band can revive themselves after becoming the monster that mainstream radio made them...
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i hope this band can revive themselves after becoming the monster that mainstream radio made them...

yea same here.
    this song sounds pretty solid though. i like it. and i don't like them(lead singer)
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm loving both of those songs, Southbound definitely has a Pearl Jam feel to it, which of course is nothing but a good thing!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    mavi wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    They're playing along with The Whigs (opening band).

My first impression is these tracks are better than pretty much everything on their last album, but still far away from what I used to love about them. Southbound sounds like a slower country version of Fans... Boring. Then again, music and taste are always so subjective, right?

I totally agree with this. their first 2 albums will always be two of my favorites. Their last two, not so much.
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    saw this song and southbound as well as two other new songs @ Bonnaroo this year and was very impressed with all of them.. they also played "where is my mind" by the Pixies which fucking kicked ass. best show ive seen of them...
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    So no one thinks this sounds a bit like a PJ song? I can atleast picture Eddie singing this song with Caleb.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    So no one thinks this sounds a bit like a PJ song? I can atleast picture Eddie singing this song with Caleb.

I already mentioned that it sounded like a PJ song!
    mavi wrote:
    Southbound sounds like a slower country version of Fans... Boring. Then again, music and taste are always so subjective, right?

Fans, boring?! Personally I like the fact that they have a broad range of styles, nothing worse than listening to an album that's all one upbeat (or downbeat) pace.

What I love about KOL is that they're not afraid to write these big catchy songs as well as the more experimental stuff. It's these songs that are gonna give them the longevity that so many other bands never achieve. Southbound seems to have such a classic feel to it, I could imagine a song like that being played on the radio in 15 or 20 years.
  • Options

I already mentioned that it sounded like a PJ song!
    mavi wrote:
    Southbound sounds like a slower country version of Fans... Boring. Then again, music and taste are always so subjective, right?

Fans, boring?! Personally I like the fact that they have a broad range of styles, nothing worse than listening to an album that's all one upbeat (or downbeat) pace.

What I love about KOL is that they're not afraid to write these big catchy songs as well as the more experimental stuff. It's these songs that are gonna give them the longevity that so many other bands never achieve. Southbound seems to have such a classic feel to it, I could imagine a song like that being played on the radio in 15 or 20 years.
    well said except im pretty sure they havent written their own material in a while.... at least not exclusively...
  • Options
    the new songs maybe an exception cause no one know right now i guess but im pretty sure they had a co-writer on OBTN.
  • Options
    jr19 wrote:
    the new songs maybe an exception cause no one know right now i guess but im pretty sure they had a co-writer on OBTN.

I'm pretty sure the co-writing was actually on the first two albums, you know the ones that all the snobs love :lol: :P
  • Options
    well i guess im a snob cause OBTN sucks donkey Dick. glad they showed out at Bonnaroo this year cause i was about to give up on em... but looks like they arent interested in entertaining teenage girls anymore. YAY~~~ :D
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    jr19 wrote:
    well i guess im a snob cause OBTN sucks donkey Dick. glad they showed out at Bonnaroo this year cause i was about to give up on em... but looks like they arent interested in entertaining teenage girls anymore. YAY~~~ :D

awesome.

I'm not a snob, just a hater of top 40 pop rock trash
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    jr19 wrote:

awesome.

I'm not a snob, just a hater of top 40 pop rock trash
    agreed
  • Options
    jr19 wrote:
    well i guess im a snob cause OBTN sucks donkey Dick

A tad harsh, there is some good stuff on it - Closer, Cold Desert, Manhattan, Crawl. Granted it's not as good as the first three, but I've heard a lot worse. I dunno, it just seems to be a bit trendy to bash them these days, all because they made an album that happened to have a lot of cross-over appeal. These guys are still a young band, they've barely even started, I think people need to lighten up, there's room for all kinds of music in their repertoire.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I like the comment on Southbound:

"They're turning into Kings of Kenny Chesney. But this is great video. Nice shootin', Tex." :lol:

I remember reading before that the new album was supposed to have more of the "grunge" sound to it.

I just listened to snippets of both songs since the feed from the video was so choppy that I felt like Rainman trying to listen to it. :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    jr19 wrote:
    well i guess im a snob cause OBTN sucks donkey Dick

A tad harsh, there is some good stuff on it - Closer, Cold Desert, Manhattan, Crawl. Granted it's not as good as the first three, but I've heard a lot worse. I dunno, it just seems to be a bit trendy to bash them these days, all because they made an album that happened to have a lot of cross-over appeal. These guys are still a young band, they've barely even started, I think people need to lighten up, there's room for all kinds of music in their repertoire.
    dont worry. ive been bashing OBTN since i first listen to it... i could care less what others think about the record... i just really dislike it.. and always have.. i tried so hard, almost forcing myself like it, but it just wasnt happening. besides, being trendy to bash them would never outweigh all the records they sold... i like two songs off OBTN..(Cold Desert, Crawl) and two out of 11 is not a good record to me... if you havent ever checked out these b- sides then do so...
    Head to Toe
    Wicker Chair
    My Third House
    Frontier City
    Woo Hoo