What pisses me off about the World Cup

13»

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    intodeep wrote:
    GET THIS CRAP OFF OF ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Christ's sake....NOBODY SCORES. They're 70 minutes into a game right now and the score is still 0-0. How could fans find this exciting?

It's not that I don't respect the athletes and the actual playing of Soccer. But to sit and watch it? Baseball could be boring at times but at least there's different situations throughout the game depending on who is batting, how many guys are on base, and how many outs there are. Soccer is the same boring crap over and over.

There is a lot more going on in a soccer game even when one is not scoring. It is like watching baseball and knowing the game in depth you notice how the defense moves into a strategic positioning for each different hitter that comes up depending on how the scouting report and game plan calls to pitch to a guy. Sometimes a 3-2 count with a guy fouling a ball back 10 times can be boring as fuck but if you know that "hey this is a great at bat this guy is grinding it out" that is fun to watch to baseball fans.

Like this in soccer there is a lot more going on then just guys running around bouncing the ball back and forth. It is fine that you don't care for it, but learn more about it before you blast it. You sound a bit ignorant and i don't use that to be rude I say it as a fact you dont' seem to know much about the game. If you don't care to learn it that is fine, but lets be fair if you don't understand the game's intricacies don't blast it.

This is a good point. To me there is nothing worse or more boring than a baseball game that is 1-1 in the 13th inning with about 6 hits combined. Thats more than 4 hours of no one really scoring and "nothing" happening. Since I started watching the premier league last year, I have a lot more respect for the game. And knowing a lot more of the players around the world makes it more fun.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    intodeep wrote:
    GET THIS CRAP OFF OF ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Christ's sake....NOBODY SCORES. They're 70 minutes into a game right now and the score is still 0-0. How could fans find this exciting?

It's not that I don't respect the athletes and the actual playing of Soccer. But to sit and watch it? Baseball could be boring at times but at least there's different situations throughout the game depending on who is batting, how many guys are on base, and how many outs there are. Soccer is the same boring crap over and over.

There is a lot more going on in a soccer game even when one is not scoring. It is like watching baseball and knowing the game in depth you notice how the defense moves into a strategic positioning for each different hitter that comes up depending on how the scouting report and game plan calls to pitch to a guy. Sometimes a 3-2 count with a guy fouling a ball back 10 times can be boring as fuck but if you know that "hey this is a great at bat this guy is grinding it out" that is fun to watch to baseball fans.

Like this in soccer there is a lot more going on then just guys running around bouncing the ball back and forth. It is fine that you don't care for it, but learn more about it before you blast it. You sound a bit ignorant and i don't use that to be rude I say it as a fact you dont' seem to know much about the game. If you don't care to learn it that is fine, but lets be fair if you don't understand the game's intricacies don't blast it.

This is a fair point. But it just seems that they're shoving this World Cup stuff down our throats. Maybe I'm just a hater of things that come up once every few years and ruin sportscenter for me (ie. World Cup, Olympics, ect). I dislike Hockey as well but at least I'm grown accustom to having to put up with Barry Melrose.

Now onto your point of someone like me not knowing the intricacies of the game. While it's true that I don't, I've watched some of the post-games during this World Cup and the post-game guys talk about nothing but shots on goal and how the goal-keepers played. If they're not going to report on the intricacies going on in the game, how is someone like me whose never watched Soccer to even know they exist?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    pjhawks wrote:
    if you like it great but do we really need a thread on here about every game? can't we just put down 1-0 for all of them and go with it? i mean there is like a 90% chance of it ending that way.

and let's stop acting like the goalie for england's gaffe was the bigges choke in sports - not even close as it was basically a preliminary round game. barely hurts England's chances. this has nothing on Bill Buckner.
    oh how little you know. Firstly, a huge amount of games do end up 1 -0, but an equal amount will end up 2 -0, 2 -1, 0 - 0, 3 - 2 etc etc etc.
    Secondly, That USA goal could, and probably will ultimately have a huge bearing on who England meet in the next round. That one gaffe could have a profound effect on their world cup prospects.

I'll agree with you on the threads for every game though. That annoys me too, so I predominantly only post in the one big thread about the cup in general.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

Now onto your point of someone like me not knowing the intricacies of the game. While it's true that I don't, I've watched some of the post-games during this World Cup and the post-game guys talk about nothing but shots on goal and how the goal-keepers played. If they're not going to report on the intricacies going on in the game, how is someone like me whose never watched Soccer to even know they exist?
    The analysts on ESPN sound terrible. On Irish and British tv, every single aspect of the game is talked about. i doubt I can sway you, but if you're interested in hearing good analysis watch a couple of games on the RTE player on www.rte.ie. As far as I know it's free to view around the world.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    weird thread... and yet the USA have the most fans at the games... they are the ones that 'get it'.. .the other ones moaning don't.

that's fair enough. if you don't get it then don't watch it...

american sports are thus

1. US Football - whats with all the padding... the last time I seen anything wearing that much padding was on a hemophiliac elephant during a particularly heavy period. Also, there are about 483 men in each team... no wonder they never sweat, they only run 10 yards max before their fat hearts collapse under the weight of that padding.

2. Baseball... worlds easiest game. Nobody plays it in the rest of the world as they don't want to be seen dead wearing a matching pyjama set. throw a ball, hit it hard. It's the sporting equivalent of cup n ball... except in cup n ball you don't have to wear night clothes during the day.

3. Basketball. Kinda limited to really tall fuckers, who, if it werent for basketball, would either have a career in giraffe dentistry or as a travelling freak in an old time circus. Big lanky men look stupid when running... almost as stupid as girls... almost.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    On the silly football vs soccer debate, and yes i am purposely fanning the flames :D
    The various governing bodies around the world:

FIFA (World) - Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    FA (England) - Football Association
    FAI (Ireland) - Football Association Ireland
    DFB (Germany) - Deutscher Fußball-Bund
    FFF (France) - Fédération Française de Football
    KNVB (Holland) - Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbalbond

I could go on, but I'm far too lazy to look up any more. You get the idea though :)

FA - Football Australia
    HNS - Hrvatski Nogometni Savez
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    hockey & baseball > soccer > football > basketball.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    dunkman wrote:
    weird thread... and yet the USA have the most fans at the games... they are the ones that 'get it'.. .the other ones moaning don't.

Yeah, because if you think something's stupid, you just must not "get it". It can't be that it is just dumb...
    Oh well, in two weeks it will all be over, and no one will care anymore.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    milarso wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Oh well, in two weeks it will all be over, and no one will care anymore.

it's still got 3 and half weeks to go and YOU won't care anymore... millions, if not billions, of others will care.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ruin sportscenter for me

people still watch that???
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    On the silly football vs soccer debate, and yes i am purposely fanning the flames :D
    The various governing bodies around the world:

FIFA (World) - Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    FA (England) - Football Association
    FAI (Ireland) - Football Association Ireland
    DFB (Germany) - Deutscher Fußball-Bund
    FFF (France) - Fédération Française de Football
    KNVB (Holland) - Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbalbond

I could go on, but I'm far too lazy to look up any more. You get the idea though :)

FA - Football Australia
    HNS - Hrvatski Nogometni Savez

you forgot MLS....Major League Soccer :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    dunkman wrote:

american sports are thus

1. US Football - whats with all the padding... the last time I seen anything wearing that much padding was on a hemophiliac elephant during a particularly heavy period. Also, there are about 483 men in each team... no wonder they never sweat, they only run 10 yards max before their fat hearts collapse under the weight of that padding.

2. Baseball... worlds easiest game. Nobody plays it in the rest of the world as they don't want to be seen dead wearing a matching pyjama set. throw a ball, hit it hard. It's the sporting equivalent of cup n ball... except in cup n ball you don't have to wear night clothes during the day.

3. Basketball. Kinda limited to really tall fuckers, who, if it werent for basketball, would either have a career in giraffe dentistry or as a travelling freak in an old time circus. Big lanky men look stupid when running... almost as stupid as girls... almost.
    You should note that the USA Ladies have won the cup twice in the last twenty years. Because as far as we are concerned it's a LADIES GAME.

And from your comments it's obvious that you are just as ignorant to American sports as most of us are to soccer.
    #FHP
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    pjhawks wrote:
    if you like it great but do we really need a thread on here about every game? can't we just put down 1-0 for all of them and go with it? i mean there is like a 90% chance of it ending that way.

and let's stop acting like the goalie for england's gaffe was the bigges choke in sports - not even close as it was basically a preliminary round game. barely hurts England's chances. this has nothing on Bill Buckner.
    none of our european friends seem to post the same about all the NHL threads... or american football for that matter.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    haffajappa wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

none of our european friends seem to post the same about all the NHL threads... or american football for that matter.

the difference is the nhl, baseball and football threads are about specific teams, not specific games. there were 2 threads on one game. one with a halftime score and one with a final score. sorry but i can get the scores on espn.com, i don't need a thread here telling me somone is up 1-0 at halftime. im all for having threads about certain teams/countries.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

The analysts on ESPN sound terrible. On Irish and British tv, every single aspect of the game is talked about. i doubt I can sway you, but if you're interested in hearing good analysis watch a couple of games on the RTE player on http://www.rte.ie. As far as I know it's free to view around the world.

Well I appreciate the offer but probably won't check it out. I'm sure that where soccer (ah what the hell.....football) is big, it's analyzed very in-depth and probably how American sports are over-analyzed by American broadcasters. But that half-assed World Cup analysis on ESPN kinda makes it seem as if they're covering the World Cup as a technicality...maybe to make the world hate us less. It's as if we're saying "We're just like you...we love the World Cup!" And while I'm not disputing that there's many American ESPN viewers who do love Soccer, I'm sure there's more who would rather watch a Peyton Manning interview (even though NFL is out of season) than watch anything World Cup related.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

The analysts on ESPN sound terrible. On Irish and British tv, every single aspect of the game is talked about. i doubt I can sway you, but if you're interested in hearing good analysis watch a couple of games on the RTE player on http://www.rte.ie. As far as I know it's free to view around the world.

Well I appreciate the offer but probably won't check it out. I'm sure that where soccer (ah what the hell.....football) is big, it's analyzed very in-depth and probably how American sports are over-analyzed by American broadcasters. But that half-assed World Cup analysis on ESPN kinda makes it seem as if they're covering the World Cup as a technicality...maybe to make the world hate us less. It's as if we're saying "We're just like you...we love the World Cup!" And while I'm not disputing that there's many American ESPN viewers who do love Soccer, I'm sure there's more who would rather watch a Peyton Manning interview (even though NFL is out of season) than watch anything World Cup related.

ESPN is covering the world cup (not well mind you) a lot because they paid money for the rights to show it in the United States. Just like they shelled out a ton of money to show SEC Football moving forward.

You probably noticed in the 6-8 months prior to the World Cup Sports center slowly began to increase coverage of international matches and what not to start to drum up small interest. In essence they were marketing their future product by increasing their air time for it. Just like now they are covering the hell out of it beause it is their product.

All about the money at ESPN hence the product is not always good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    Not a soccer fan at all. With that said I have watched a few games. But that fucking buzzing noise from those horns have got to go. It's gotta affect the players on the field
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!