What pisses me off about the World Cup

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to bash the sport, I like soccer for the fact that it is straight forward without a lot of crazy rules. It's easy to follow as it should be for fans.

I just get frustrated watching by the size of the field. Shrink that field down for more goal attempts and higher scores and I think it wouldn't be as frustrating to me.

And I totally agree, sports are more of a cultural thing above anything else. They are deep rooted in communities. There's rivalries, and so forth..
    nuffingman wrote:
    PLEASE STOP CALLING FOOTBALL SOCCER!!!!

I feel better now.
    On this board, saying "football" when referring to soccer is going to confuse or mislead a lot of people. Sorry.. It makes sense you call it "football" and less sense we call american football "football", but there's nothing wrong with the word "soccer". You act as its a racial slur or something.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    You say it is money is why football is popular in the rest of the world you can also say money is the reason that it isn't as popular in the US.

A kid is a good athelete and reaches the age where he has to choose which sport to play he isn't going to choose football as in the US there isn't the money to be made that there is on the other 'US' sports. So a football loving kid gives up on the game to concentrate on basketball or baseball.

Also baseball doesn't have to cost a huge amount. At elementary school we play a similar game. Rounders with just a bat and ball and as football just needs a ball and goals basketball just needs a ball and a hoop.

Yes if course it is largely cultural but I think you are over simplifying things.

I love sport. I watch basketball, occassionally American football. Although for my tastes it is too stop start and feels like everything is orchestrated from the touchline rather than the players own intuition and skill. Everything is opinions ;)

EDIT: we do have an ice hockey league in the UK. I'm sure there is a lot of skill involved but to me I can't watch it. It just looks a mess.

We all like what we like and it would be dull if we all liked the same things
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Well I tried to get into it because it's been hyped for the last couple of months and I love watching world class competitions. But come on SOCCER is the most boring sport to watch ever. I don't like to watch baseball for the same reasons. I do like to watch boring old golf though and that's because I recognize the difficulty of the game. There is no difficulty factor in SOCCER. Sure maybe 3 times in 3 hours something exciting happens in a SOCCER match, just like baseball. That's why we have Sportscenter.
    #FHP
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Posts: 354
    Horos wrote:
    Well I tried to get into it because it's been hyped for the last couple of months and I love watching world class competitions. But come on SOCCER is the most boring sport to watch ever. I don't like to watch baseball for the same reasons. I do like to watch boring old golf though and that's because I recognize the difficulty of the game. There is no difficulty factor in SOCCER. Sure maybe 3 times in 3 hours something exciting happens in a SOCCER match, just like baseball. That's why we have Sportscenter.

lol
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I know what you are saying... But I hope Im not generalized in this group. I have just started to follow the sport for the past few years and have played a shitload of the EA Sports games as Grimsby Town and also enjoy the WOrld Cup games. I have caught a couple MLS games on TV and plan on going to a Philadelphia Union game(s).
    I am excited to watch the World Cup... but my knowledge of the sport is still pretty infintile. I want to see the USA win, but my heart isnt set on them... I would like to see any team win who hasnt yet won a World Cup. I actually like Team Canada because that is who I use on the EA World Cup games (they arent in this World Cup).

I have always contended that Soccer/Football deserves more respect than it gets in the US. Its a really awesome sport that translates throughout the planet... Russia, USA, Iran, North Korea, South Korea, Qatar.... you name it. Maybe the fact that I recognize that makes me not a poser?
    I think in most cities in America you'll find more soccer fields in place or being built than you do baseball fields.

Having played soccer for 3 1/2 years (7 seasons) in a YMCA league and then in HS Vs. 7 baseball seasons , I got into soccer much more. More fun to play and to watch then baseball. Much more of a "team" sport , in my opinion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    mickeyrat wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I know what you are saying... But I hope Im not generalized in this group. I have just started to follow the sport for the past few years and have played a shitload of the EA Sports games as Grimsby Town and also enjoy the WOrld Cup games. I have caught a couple MLS games on TV and plan on going to a Philadelphia Union game(s).
    I am excited to watch the World Cup... but my knowledge of the sport is still pretty infintile. I want to see the USA win, but my heart isnt set on them... I would like to see any team win who hasnt yet won a World Cup. I actually like Team Canada because that is who I use on the EA World Cup games (they arent in this World Cup).

I have always contended that Soccer/Football deserves more respect than it gets in the US. Its a really awesome sport that translates throughout the planet... Russia, USA, Iran, North Korea, South Korea, Qatar.... you name it. Maybe the fact that I recognize that makes me not a poser?
    I think in most cities in America you'll find more soccer fields in place or being built than you do baseball fields.

Having played soccer for 3 1/2 years (7 seasons) in a YMCA league and then in HS Vs. 7 baseball seasons , I got into soccer much more. More fun to play and to watch then baseball. Much more of a "team" sport , in my opinion.

This is possibly true in the growing Hispanic population in this country. Will it surpass the other major sports not any time soon but it's certainly on the rise and more feilds are being built.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    metsfan wrote:
    i disagree with that but i'm not bout to get into a pissing match with you of all people.

oh lordy.......... all thats required for soccer is a ball and the ground you walk on. it doesnt have to organised. all it has to be is people running around kicking the ball and voila!! there you have it. soccer. if you can manoeuvre around half your village or whatever then youve def got skillz. i mean shit you can do it alone with traffic cones... cant get much more accessible than that.

+1 I've seen firsthand where they dont even have a real ball to play with and they can still play.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ujS9i3U7fs
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    Saying people who aren't huge soccer fans shouldn't get into the world cup is like the people around here that say people who don't own every Pearl Jam album shouldn't go see the show :|
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    The Passing and Dribbling of the ball is Skilful.....BUT the Shooting on Goal is "UNCO"...lol :P
    g under p wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

This is possibly true in the growing Hispanic population in this country. Will it surpass the other major sports not any time soon but it's certainly on the rise and more feilds are being built.

peace
    While the growing Hispanic population is contributing to the growth of the number of players and leagues, What I'm seeing is the 'burbs with money building fields. What I'm not aware of is much cross cultural play. Like the more informal Hispanic leagues go head to head with the more affluent areas. That would be good for all concerned, not only in the experience gained from different styles, but in bringing different cultures together on the field for the love of the sport.

I'll wake up now, cuz thats just a dream.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    haffajappa wrote:
    Saying people who aren't huge soccer fans shouldn't get into the world cup is like the people around here that say people who don't own every Pearl Jam album shouldn't go see the show :|
    I don't think I or anyone else said "people who aren't huge soccer fans shouldn't get into the world cup."
    I said it pissed me off that people who have never seen a soccer match in their life act like they are huge fans every four years when the world cup comes around.
    You can get into it all you want, but don't act like you are a huge fan just because it's the "it" thing to do this month.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    I'm a casual fan of the sport but have grown more into it due to one of my closest friends. I enjoyed the US-England match and the environment in the bar while it was on.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    Horos wrote:

Most boring sport ever. We have been hearing for years that soccer is growing so fast and up and coming etc. etc. If so many kids are playing you would think the MLS etc. would be more popular. How many kids are clamoring to go see a soccer game. The media has for years been trying to hype this sport never gonna happen vs. the major sports. Kind of funny US kids play soccer year round and start at young ages yet we suck at the game vs. the world. Once the Us gets bounced from the WC we won't have to listen to this crap again.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    nuffingman wrote:

I feel better now.

in the US, it's called soccer from the time we are infants. we are not going to call soccer football, becuase football it is not.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • People are bound to have different opinions on different sports. Personally, I'd sooner nail my eyelids to the ceiling than watch basketball or baseball but that's just me. :yawn:

I've tried to watch several sports in earnest and nothing comes close to football for excitement. Yes, you get dull matches as you do in any sport, but when you get two teams going at each other then no other sport can rival it.

The world's greatest game. :D
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    81 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

I feel better now.

in the US, it's called soccer from the time we are infants. we are not going to call soccer football, becuase football it is not.
    Strange because it's played with the foot! Your game isn't.
    nuffingman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

I feel better now.

How about we call it Kickball?.. :lol:

Or how about, "who cares what we call it as long as everyone knows what we are talking about." 8-)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    How about we both conscede and call it Kickball?.. :lol:

Or how about, "who cares what we call it as long as everyone knows what we are talking about." 8-)
    Agreed! :D
    But I'm confused about Got a hard hard head's post just before mine. I have no idea now what sport he was talking about.
    nuffingman wrote:
    How about we both conscede and call it Kickball?.. :lol:

Agreed! :D
    But I'm confused about Got a hard hard head's post just before mine. I have no idea now what sport he was talking about.
    can we all agree on "futbol"? seems simple enough.

mickeyrat wrote:
    can we all agree on "futbol"? seems simple enough.

I think I'm just going to keep calling it soccer.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    nuffingman wrote:
    81 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

I feel better now.

I thought people always bragged about how its not just your foot, but how everything but the arms can be used.. How about Armlessball? :lol:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    GET THIS CRAP OFF OF ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Christ's sake....NOBODY SCORES. They're 70 minutes into a game right now and the score is still 0-0. How could fans find this exciting?

It's not that I don't respect the athletes and the actual playing of Soccer. But to sit and watch it? Baseball could be boring at times but at least there's different situations throughout the game depending on who is batting, how many guys are on base, and how many outs there are. Soccer is the same boring crap over and over.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    nuffingman wrote:

I feel better now.

Don't blame us. You Brits created the term.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/world-cup/2010/06/11/1971687/usa-and-england-past-present-and-future
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    Soccer is in my blood i was born in Chile to me it's a beautiful sport to watch & play wich i did, so please exclude me from all the bandwagon fans that reside in Chicago & NY :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    For people comparing it to basketball... i don't know how you can suggest 0-0 is a terrible game but 124-80 is so exciting... is there a point where the baskets become redundant?

If you don't want to watch it on ESPN (or whatever channel) then turn to a different channel :roll:

It's not crap, just not your cup of tea.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    haffajappa wrote:
    For people comparing it to basketball... i don't know how you can suggest 0-0 is a terrible game but 124-80 is so exciting... is there a point where the baskets become redundant?

If you don't want to watch it on ESPN (or whatever channel) then turn to a different channel :roll:

It's not crap, just not your cup of tea.
    Exactly. Tony Allen making a free throw line jumper is not very exciting. Soccer is about the build up and pace of the game. A 0-0 game can still be exciting with lots of skillfull dribbling and some nice shots.

I mean if you watch a Ravens vs. Giants game and it's 14-7 how is that any different from a 2-1 soccer game that took half as long to watch?
    NERDS!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    GET THIS CRAP OFF OF ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Christ's sake....NOBODY SCORES. They're 70 minutes into a game right now and the score is still 0-0. How could fans find this exciting?

It's not that I don't respect the athletes and the actual playing of Soccer. But to sit and watch it? Baseball could be boring at times but at least there's different situations throughout the game depending on who is batting, how many guys are on base, and how many outs there are. Soccer is the same boring crap over and over.

There is a lot more going on in a soccer game even when one is not scoring. It is like watching baseball and knowing the game in depth you notice how the defense moves into a strategic positioning for each different hitter that comes up depending on how the scouting report and game plan calls to pitch to a guy. Sometimes a 3-2 count with a guy fouling a ball back 10 times can be boring as fuck but if you know that "hey this is a great at bat this guy is grinding it out" that is fun to watch to baseball fans.

Like this in soccer there is a lot more going on then just guys running around bouncing the ball back and forth. It is fine that you don't care for it, but learn more about it before you blast it. You sound a bit ignorant and i don't use that to be rude I say it as a fact you dont' seem to know much about the game. If you don't care to learn it that is fine, but lets be fair if you don't understand the game's intricacies don't blast it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    On the silly football vs soccer debate, and yes i am purposely fanning the flames :D
    The various governing bodies around the world:

FIFA (World) - Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    FA (England) - Football Association
    FAI (Ireland) - Football Association Ireland
    DFB (Germany) - Deutscher Fußball-Bund
    FFF (France) - Fédération Française de Football
    KNVB (Holland) - Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbalbond

I could go on, but I'm far too lazy to look up any more. You get the idea though :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    edited June 2010
    if you like it great but do we really need a thread on here about every game? can't we just put down 1-0 for all of them and go with it? i mean there is like a 90% chance of it ending that way.

and let's stop acting like the goalie for england's gaffe was the bigges choke in sports - not even close as it was basically a preliminary round game. barely hurts England's chances. this has nothing on Bill Buckner.
    Post edited by pjhawks on