Options

Songs to put away live

2»

Comments

• Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Not a rip, just would like PJ to put them away for a while. Also understand that a lot of people that go to their shows don't have 200+ boots like me...

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Someday Pearl Jam will retire and you will be left wishing you could hear only those 5 songs live again.

Agreed. And without Even Flow, Black, Ledbetter, etc., most of us wouldn't have fallen in love with this band in the first place. These songs are the foundation.

I think we tend to get a little spoiled and view concerts as fan club only gigs (I've been guilty of this thinking before). But when I take a step back and realize that the vast majority of the paid attendance is not in the club and more than likely composed of more casual fans, it only makes sense to keep songs like Even Flow and Black and Jeremy and Alive in regular rotation.

Put it this way - and this is a totally random, on the spot example. I like Weezer. I'm not in their fan club and don't even own all their albums. But I loved the Blue album and Pinkerton and have enjoyed some of their stuff I've heard on the radio over the years. Haven't picked up one of their new records in a long, long time though. Very casual fan. I've never seen them live, but if they came to my town and I decided to go, I'd be pretty excited about hearing Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So. Again, this is all made up, so I don't know how frequently they play these songs, but I'd assume they are regulars. But say the die hards who've seen dozens of shows wanted them retired so they shelved them and played a set comprised of mostly songs I've never heard or only heard a couple of times, I'd probably be a little bummed. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the show, but you get my point. I wouldn't plan on seeing them 10 times, probably just the once.

I think it's only fair and responsible to the entire fan base (not matter how big or small a fan) to play a varied set. Some classics, some rarities. And we ALWAYS get that. Every night. And that can only help the band's staying power to mix in songs like Even Flow and Black with the new stuff they're promoting, along with stuff spanning their entire catalog. Brings in new fans and perks the interest of casual fans.

And besides, what if the band just enjoys playing them?
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Agreed. And without Even Flow, Black, Ledbetter, etc., most of us wouldn't have fallen in love with this band in the first place. These songs are the foundation.

I think we tend to get a little spoiled and view concerts as fan club only gigs (I've been guilty of this thinking before). But when I take a step back and realize that the vast majority of the paid attendance is not in the club and more than likely composed of more casual fans, it only makes sense to keep songs like Even Flow and Black and Jeremy and Alive in regular rotation.

Put it this way - and this is a totally random, on the spot example. I like Weezer. I'm not in their fan club and don't even own all their albums. But I loved the Blue album and Pinkerton and have enjoyed some of their stuff I've heard on the radio over the years. Haven't picked up one of their new records in a long, long time though. Very casual fan. I've never seen them live, but if they came to my town and I decided to go, I'd be pretty excited about hearing Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So. Again, this is all made up, so I don't know how frequently they play these songs, but I'd assume they are regulars. But say the die hards who've seen dozens of shows wanted them retired so they shelved them and played a set comprised of mostly songs I've never heard or only heard a couple of times, I'd probably be a little bummed. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy the show, but you get my point. I wouldn't plan on seeing them 10 times, probably just the once.

I think it's only fair and responsible to the entire fan base (not matter how big or small a fan) to play a varied set. Some classics, some rarities. And we ALWAYS get that. Every night. And that can only help the band's staying power to mix in songs like Even Flow and Black with the new stuff they're promoting, along with stuff spanning their entire catalog. Brings in new fans and perks the interest of casual fans.

Great post, I agree 100%!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,694
    edited June 2010
    Not a rip, just would like PJ to put them away for a while. Also understand that a lot of people that go to their shows don't have 200+ boots like me...

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Every one of the above songs are classic Pearl Jam. They're rock radio staples to this very day and I'm afraid that along with "Jeremy" "Alive" and "Daughter"...your pretty much looking at what defines the band to anyone outside the 10club.

Not everyone is a die hard and believe it or not...some would even be disapointed having bought tickets to a Pearl Jam show and not hearing any or all of these songs.

Overall, I think Pearl Jam is one of the best ever at balancing a setlist that appeals to both the casual and diehard fans
    Post edited by Gonzo1977 on
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,694

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Someday Pearl Jam will retire and you will be left wishing you could hear only those 5 songs live again.

great post
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    The Fixer wrote:
    they could play corduroy at every show and I wouldn't get sick of it.

I'd like to see these retired

Just Breathe
    The End (save these for EV solo shows)
    Gone
    Last Kiss (for obvious reasons)
    Sweet Lew

That being said, I've been lucky to see over 10 shows the last 2 years and they have all been incredible

CORDUROY RULES FOOLS!!!
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    edited June 2010

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

I don't want the band to put away any songs and I never tire of hearing Corduroy, Betterman, Black, Yellow Ledbetter, or Alive.
    Post edited by Better Dan on
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    in eds treein eds tree Denver Posts: 539
    play whatever you want. i'll still be there.
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    please don't make posts like this, the band obviously reads some of it. i'll take any song the band is willing to deal out and be super stoked about it.

Agree. As long as I never hear Jersey Girl again :lol:
    :o

Did they butcher it in Newark or something? Tom Waits is one of my favourite artists, and while Jersey Girl isn't even close to my favourite Tom Waits track, I still think it's damn good.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    KarleyKarley Posts: 506
    Their version of All Along the Watchtower
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • Options

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Just to clarify...I do not want PJ to officially retire ANY song they have. I appreciate about 99% of their music. Just making the point that the above tracks, IMO, are almost a guarantee at their shows. It would be great if they "set them aside" for a bit so that when they pull them back out, I appreciate them more.

I have only seen two shows (10/30/09 and 5/21/10) ... and have yet to see Even Flow. The other 4 were played at one or the other, not both.
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    youngster wrote:
    Do the Evolution
    Do the Evoultion
    and
    Do the Evolution

:clap:
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    Yeah i'm in the don't retire any songs camp play what you wan't as long as i'm in the show i'm happy so happy :mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    And once again the message board proves that god forbid you say one semi-negative thing about the band...you will be verbally assaulted. The thread was harmless...the guy was just asking what songs you would like to be put away for a little while. I agree with his list but I do acknowledge that there are a lot of non-obsessive fans who don't post on this message board that have no interest in hearing rarities. They want to hear Black....not Sweet Lew or U. I found this out first hand at a Muse show. I was blown away by the show and they played every single song I wanted to hear but after checking out their message board, the die hards were pissed they only played the hits. I wouldn't have enjoyed the show if they didn't play the hits.

Regardless, leave the OP alone. It makes for good discussion. I agree with most of his list.
  • Options
    And once again the message board proves that god forbid you say one semi-negative thing about the band...you will be verbally assaulted. The thread was harmless...the guy was just asking what songs you would like to be put away for a little while. I agree with his list but I do acknowledge that there are a lot of non-obsessive fans who don't post on this message board that have no interest in hearing rarities. They want to hear Black....not Sweet Lew or U. I found this out first hand at a Muse show. I was blown away by the show and they played every single song I wanted to hear but after checking out their message board, the die hards were pissed they only played the hits. I wouldn't have enjoyed the show if they didn't play the hits.

Regardless, leave the OP alone. It makes for good discussion. I agree with most of his list.

Thanks for this post. I was basing my post on the premise that anyone who would read the PJ forum, let alone post a response would be die hards. In addition, being a die hard, I would presume many who reads these posts have attended multiple shows and own multiple boots.

Therefore, based on the above assumptions, it is already understood that many people who attend PJ shows want to hear the "classics" and aren't die hards. My post was not meant for them because they aren't on the web site anyway.

Heaven forbid someone who loves PJ(since 92...the beginning) and has spent a ton of money supporting the band try to have a healthy conversation about "shelving" staples that get played at 90% of the shows.

I mean think about...how much excitement is there when they play a song they haven't played in years. Pilate, No Way, In my Tree...how cool was it when they finally pulled those out?
  • Options
    Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    So many of you take this band for granted its not even funny. It seems great now that they are still touring and making great music. I dont care if you own 400 boots, or listened to Ten for the first time yesterday. Everyone needs to treat there next Pearl Jam concert as there last, just as the band does every night when they hit the stage. In 10 years, when theyre retired, and Eddie will probably be doing solo tours, while listening to him play Elderly Woman you are gonna remember how much fun you had going to all the shows you went, all the nights you spent listening to their music, remembering the impact they had on your life as a teenager, and remember how much fun it was, and how fortunate you were to have a band like Pearl Jam around when you were younger.

But now here we are, while the band is at one of the highest points in all of there history, and were complaining that theyre playing too many of the same songs every show. Well little mind you, the members on this board do not make a very large percent of the actual fan base, and let me tell you, some of the fans I have met at shows, who dont even know they have a message board, are the absolute last ones complaining about this. Just because 20 people on the Pearl Jam message board believe they know what the band should be doing is laughable. I am actually nervous however because it seems that someone relays stuff said on this board to the members.

My point is is that Pearl Jam should never retire any songs because of the amount of play. Its absolutely ridiculous to even have such a thought. The songs you want them to retire are songs that practically put them on the map, and are even a reason to argue why they are still playing today.
  • Options
    garland09garland09 Posts: 832
    We people in Oklahoma would take any damn song they wanted to play. You people who complain must have way to many oppurtunities to see them live. Evacuation, are you fucking crazy, that song is awesome why would you want to retire that. Dude said it best by saying "Someday Pearl Jam will retire and you will be left wishing you could hear only those 5 songs live again." Refering to Yellow Ledbetter, Betterman, Corduroy, Black, & Even Flow.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hopethatuchoke, Mcameronrocks, Pearljames and Garland09 collectively Hit the Nail on the Head in my opinion. well down gentleman. :D
  • Options
    So many of you take this band for granted its not even funny. It seems great now that they are still touring and making great music. I dont care if you own 400 boots, or listened to Ten for the first time yesterday. Everyone needs to treat there next Pearl Jam concert as there last, just as the band does every night when they hit the stage. In 10 years, when theyre retired, and Eddie will probably be doing solo tours, while listening to him play Elderly Woman you are gonna remember how much fun you had going to all the shows you went, all the nights you spent listening to their music, remembering the impact they had on your life as a teenager, and remember how much fun it was, and how fortunate you were to have a band like Pearl Jam around when you were younger.

But now here we are, while the band is at one of the highest points in all of there history, and were complaining that theyre playing too many of the same songs every show. Well little mind you, the members on this board do not make a very large percent of the actual fan base, and let me tell you, some of the fans I have met at shows, who dont even know they have a message board, are the absolute last ones complaining about this. Just because 20 people on the Pearl Jam message board believe they know what the band should be doing is laughable. I am actually nervous however because it seems that someone relays stuff said on this board to the members.

My point is is that Pearl Jam should never retire any songs because of the amount of play. Its absolutely ridiculous to even have such a thought. The songs you want them to retire are songs that practically put them on the map, and are even a reason to argue why they are still playing today.

Dude...why don't you read my original post before you get on your soap box about "how PJ saved your life...or I am such a shitty fan for my own opinions".

First of all...I never said "retire" the songs I recommended. Of course I don't want them to never play those songs again. Fact is, they have been playing those songs for well over a decade and it would be nice to save them a bit so that they may gain some sort of momentum again(IMO).

Second...I clearly stated in my original post that I realize that most people at the shows havent seen PJ before or don't own as many boots as I do. But then again, those people wouldn't be on this message board then either, correct? Therefore, my opinion and question would be meant for folks who are more "attentive" fans to PJ.

Third...if you don't like the topic...don't respond!!

Finally...how do you know I take PJ for granted? Especially that it's clear your post is a stong emotional response and not based on logic...

Sorry if I might have suggested PJ being less than perfect...I guess I don't hold them to some religious level that I need to defend them to a martydom level...

....unbelievable people...unbelievable.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Probably been said in this thread already, but no way. I went to a show with a first timer this year and was kinda bummed they did not get to see the Better Man singalong or the singalong at the end of Black.

I was like you once, but I've realized these are great songs and they bring the energy for a crowd. Without these songs, you'd lose the crowd and the energy in the room.