Options

Songs to put away live

mcameronrocksmcameronrocks Posts: 321
edited June 2010 in The Porch
Not a rip, just would like PJ to put them away for a while. Also understand that a lot of people that go to their shows don't have 200+ boots like me...

Yellow Ledbetter
Betterman
Corduroy
Black
Evenflow
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Do the Evolution
    Do the Evoultion
    and
    Do the Evolution
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    youngster wrote:
    Do the Evolution
    Do the Evoultion
    and
    Do the Evolution

forgot that one...I agree
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    save you.

i wish the other riot act songs would get more burn, its a shame that record gets neglected live.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    Agree with Yellow Ledbetter and Evenflow, I guess I can plan a bathroom break around Evacuation.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    they could play corduroy at every show and I wouldn't get sick of it.

I'd like to see these retired

Just Breathe
    The End (save these for EV solo shows)
    Gone
    Last Kiss (for obvious reasons)
    Sweet Lew

That being said, I've been lucky to see over 10 shows the last 2 years and they have all been incredible
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    ponner1us wrote:
    Agree with Yellow Ledbetter and Evenflow, I guess I can plan a bathroom break around Evacuation.

So, for you, "Evacuation" would be an aptly titled song, then? ;)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    Not a rip, just would like PJ to put them away for a while. Also understand that a lot of people that go to their shows don't have 200+ boots like me...

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

I kind of think starting threads like this is dumb, no offense.

Most of the people who post on this forum are pretty hardcore fans, and we've seen these songs live a bunch of times; however everyone has different tastes and your never going to get agreement, just battling back and forth between board members.

For example: I could listen to Corduroy at every show. I love it. and I have been to 5 shows since the last time I heard YLB and it's eating me alive that I want to hear it again. However, I would agree with you that I could do without betterman or evenflow or insignificance.... but I wouldn't say they should stick them up on a shelf for a while, cause these songs get a huge response live when they play them. Evenflow is just my planned bathroom break... I can ususally make it their and back before Mike's solo is over. :D

See what I mean? it's all a matter of opinion here people. And Pearl Jam isn't going to be retiring any of this stuff from their playing catalog, because then they'd just be getting requests to stick it back in.

I think you just need to eat it, and enjoy the setlist you are given. That's what I do.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    They can play anything I'm just happy my favorite band since I was just 16 (91) is still good and active.

Having said that, I could go the rest of my life w/o Yellow Ledbetter. Not because I'm tired of it but because it's impossible to sing along when he just makes up the words as he goes. But even then it's cool because I'm at the show!
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    :o Not even evacuation should be put away! Every single PJ song deserves to be played live and sing out loud 8-) ...yes even evacuation
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    GardenOfStonedGardenOfStoned Posts: 110
    edited June 2010
    please don't make posts like this, the band obviously reads some of it. i'll take any song the band is willing to deal out and be super stoked about it.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

That being said, I've been lucky to see over 10 shows the last 2 years and they have all been incredible

Sweet Lew has only been played twice and you want to retire it?
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

I saw it once(MSG2) and would vote to retire it, it did nothing for me.

But then again, like someone above said, I'll pretty much take whatever they're willing to give, they're the band, they should and do decide what gets played.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

I've seen it both times. trust me, they need to retire it
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Someone posted the link a while back
    to the 'Sweet Lew' performance @ MSG (I or II, I dunno.)
    I'd eat thumbtacks to hear that song live...
    ... or Gremmie out of Control.
    How awesome would that be live?!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

I've seen it both times. trust me, they need to retire it

I have seen it once and disagree.
  • Options
    LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    please don't make posts like this, the band obviously reads some of it. i'll take any song the band is willing to deal out and be super stoked about it.

Agree. As long as I never hear Jersey Girl again :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

+1
    I'll always be happy with whatever they play.
    Please, PJ, don't ever "retire" songs.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Someday Pearl Jam will retire and you will be left wishing you could hear only those 5 songs live again.
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    please don't make posts like this, the band obviously reads some of it.

They do?!?!?! In that case: I LOVE YOU ED AND I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES!!! :mrgreen:

Okay, no not really but I love the band and your songs have touched me more than you can ever imagine. I'll listen to any song you feel like playing if I'm so lucky as to be able to get tickets to your shows.
  • Options
    Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 62
    I'd rather the OP retired from 10C
  • Options
    Evacuation

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :geek:
  • Options
    Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 534
    I'm not jumping up and down at a show with excitement when Corduroy comes on, but I would hit any of you in the face with a shovel to make sure they don't retire Black/Ledbetter/Even Flow/DTE. :lol:
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Suziemay wrote:
    please don't make posts like this, the band obviously reads some of it.

They do?!?!?! In that case: I LOVE YOU ED AND I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES!!! :mrgreen:

Okay, no not really but I love the band and your songs have touched me more than you can ever imagine. I'll listen to any song you feel like playing if I'm so lucky as to be able to get tickets to your shows.

Yeah, I miss the good ol' days when they DIDN'T pay attention to requests and instead made a set list for the entire audience.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

Gone has not been played this year. Sweet Lew and Last Kiss have been played once this year.
    Just Breathe and The End are on Backspacer.
    They are touring for Backspacer.
    Wow.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Just Breathe
    Gone
    Sweet Lew

Gone has not been played this year. Sweet Lew and Last Kiss have been played once this year.
    Just Breathe and The End are on Backspacer.
    They are touring for Backspacer.
    Wow.

thanks for the pointless update. I was just giving my opinion on the OP's original question
  • Options
    Why Go
    Do The Evolution
    Alive
  • Options
    you all suck. i hope they put you away.
  • Options
    HOW COULD YOU SAY YOU DONT LIKE DO THE EVOLUTION LIVE!!! HAVE YOU NO SOUL?!?!
  • Options
    shep wrote:

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

I kind of think starting threads like this is dumb, no offense.

Most of the people who post on this forum are pretty hardcore fans, and we've seen these songs live a bunch of times; however everyone has different tastes and your never going to get agreement, just battling back and forth between board members.

For example: I could listen to Corduroy at every show. I love it. and I have been to 5 shows since the last time I heard YLB and it's eating me alive that I want to hear it again. However, I would agree with you that I could do without betterman or evenflow or insignificance.... but I wouldn't say they should stick them up on a shelf for a while, cause these songs get a huge response live when they play them. Evenflow is just my planned bathroom break... I can ususally make it their and back before Mike's solo is over. :D

See what I mean? it's all a matter of opinion here people. And Pearl Jam isn't going to be retiring any of this stuff from their playing catalog, because then they'd just be getting requests to stick it back in.

I think you just need to eat it, and enjoy the setlist you are given. That's what I do.

Most of "those people" who are hard core fans would include me. The intent of the post was not to start a "battle back and forth".

I was just making a statement that there are a few songs I would like to see them "put away" for a little bit. Not fully retire them, just don't make them a virtual guarantee that they will be on the set list.
  • Options

Yellow Ledbetter
    Betterman
    Corduroy
    Black
    Evenflow

Just to clarify...I do not want PJ to officially retire ANY song they have. I appreciate about 99% of their music. Just making the point that the above tracks, IMO, are almost a guarantee at their shows. It would be great if they "set them aside" for a bit so that when they pull them back out, I appreciate them more.