woman saves dogs... forgets grandson

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/106677 ... re-rescued

A young boy was left sleeping in a burning house while his grandmother rescued the family dogs instead.

British grandmother Mandy Hands, 45, had forgotten her visiting grandson was asleep upstairs when she rushed to save her four greyhounds in the fire, The Daily Mail reports.

Firefighters were later able to save 11-year-old Curtis from the house, in England's mid-west, but his grandmother is guilt-stricken over her actions.

"I can't get over the fact I left my grandson in bed," Mrs Hands said.

"He's visiting from Portsmouth and I was panicking so much trying to get everyone out that I forgot he was in here.

"I never even checked on him."

The fire broke out on Monday morning, believed to be the result of a faulty plastic toaster which Mrs Hands' husband had used that morning.

Mrs Hands woke up when she noticed smoke in her bedroom and managed to get her 16-year-old son and the family dogs to safety.

She noticed her grandson's absence once she was safe outside.

"It was only when we were outside and someone said 'Is there anyone else in there?' that I remembered him, but no one could get back in," she said.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and were able to locate Curtis and carry him outside.

The family were all taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

The house was fitted with a fire alarm but it had run out of batteries
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    Wait, I think he was saved though. I'd still feel horrible if I were her, but at least he lived.

Poor woman. It's difficult to think clearly in a situation like that.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Wait, I think he was saved though. I'd still feel horrible if I were her, but at least he lived.

Poor woman. It's difficult to think clearly in a situation like that.

yeah he was. i did edit, but clearly i wasnt fast enough to beat you. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    I hope he's not mad at her!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i think i'll sit on the sidelines and wait for dunk's response.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1066770/boy-left-in-fire-while-family-dogs-were-rescued

A young boy was left sleeping in a burning house while his grandmother rescued the family dogs instead.

British grandmother Mandy Hands, 45, had forgotten her visiting grandson was asleep upstairs when she rushed to save her four greyhounds in the fire

faulty plastic toaster which Mrs Hands' husband had used that morning.

My immediate reaction:
    1. I can imagine myself doing this.
    2. Who has a plastic toaster?
    3. Mr. Hands will never be allowed in the kitchen again, and he'd damn sure better pick up some batteries.
    4. Grammy Hands doesn't have to worry about her kids asking her to babysit again.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I bet being a grandma at age 34 was part of the problem..
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054

Bahahahaha......and I bet he will never let her live it down either!!!!! (thinking of the dogs first that is ;) )
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1066770/boy-left-in-fire-while-family-dogs-were-rescued

British grandmother Mandy Hands, 45, had forgotten her visiting grandson was asleep upstairs when she rushed to save her four greyhounds in the fire

faulty plastic toaster which Mrs Hands' husband had used that morning.

My immediate reaction:
    1. I can imagine myself doing this.
    2. Who has a plastic toaster?
    3. Mr. Hands will never be allowed in the kitchen again, and he'd damn sure better pick up some batteries.
    4. Grammy Hands doesn't have to worry about her kids asking her to babysit again.
    :lol:
    I guess that's one way of getting out of babysitting.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"

oh please please please explain this one.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718

As a generalization, intelligent people generally don't get pregnant as teenagers and then raise children who also get pregnant as teenagers.. generally speaking. I hope no one here takes offense if they had children as a teenager.

As a generalization, intelligent people generally don't get pregnant as teenagers and then raise children who also get pregnant as teenagers.. generally speaking. I hope no one here takes offense if they had children as a teenager.

well youll have to excuse me if i do take offense. my 4 year old grandaughter has a mother who is 22.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

:grappling hook:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chadwick wrote:
    i think i'll sit on the sidelines and wait for dunk's response.

+1

;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    yeah yeah, nice story and everything... but the important thing I want to know is ... were there any trees murdered during the fire???
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah yeah, nice story and everything... but the important thing I want to know is ... where there any trees murdered during the fire???
    (where/were) same shit?
    i stayed awake all night anticipating your incredible response to this goofy story.
    i look forward to your intellect, wit, and charm.
    today you have let me down with your bullshit nonchalant-ness.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    expectations were raised higher than a French woman's skirt though.. ;)

but 4 greyhounds takes some saving... and yet she couldn't save her own hymen?

but they breed them young up there in Coventry.. at aged 11 the boy could look after himself probably... i mean he probably has 3 kids of his own.. who was looking after them?

and you can tell she's a scumbag who'll be buried in a Y shaped coffin when you read it on the news here... she didnt replace the batteries from her smoke detectors, probably because she needed the batteries for her vibrators... the family have no home contents insurance .. which costs about £10 per month! still.. that £10 a month was probably being spent on something useful like food for 4 fucking dogs!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

but they breed them young up there in Coventry.. at aged 11 the boy could look after himself probably... i mean he probably has 3 kids of his own.. who was looking after them?

and you can tell she's a scumbag who'll be buried in a Y shaped coffin when you read it on the news here... she didnt replace the batteries from her smoke detectors, probably because she needed the batteries for her vibrators... the family have no home contents insurance .. which costs about £10 per month! still.. that £10 a month was probably being spent on something useful like food for 4 fucking dogs!

This is much better, thank you.
    dunkman wrote:

agreed...

i for one
    love dunk.
    dunk for president elect, yes/no?
    dunk for fire chief of the world, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

agreed...

i for one
    love dunk.
    dunk for president elect, yes/no?
    dunk for fire chief of the world, yes/no?

Dunk for president of the WWF, as well as acting Global Fire Marshall.
    yes @ global fire marshall & WWF president of the universe.
    this is unprecedented.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    this is unprecedented.

He will have his own athletic shoe and trading cards.
    chadwick wrote:
    this is unprecedented.

you mean he doesn't already?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

this is unprecedented.

you mean he doesn't already?

My apologies... this is the "Dunkman"

nike-zoom-lebron-soldier-3-dunkman-01.jpg

when mick hucknall goes for his morning jog i would think he wears the "dunkman" shoe.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

also, those shoes will make dunkman very fast when he's the president elect of the WWF & acting global fire marshall.
    fast shoes, thank god for dunkman.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

also, those shoes will make dunkman very fast when he's the president elect of the WWF & acting global fire marshall.
    fast shoes, thank god for dunkman.

I would think they should be blue and white? Maybe green because they are biodegradable?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dunkman wrote:
    that £10 a month was probably being spent on something useful like food for 4 fucking dogs!

Now just a moment, sir. I didn't see any evidence that the four dogs were, in fact, fucking at any time.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    I would think they should be blue and white? Maybe green because they are biodegradable?
    i have heard that the dunkman shoe is so green in regards to biodegrading that earth worms are scared
    that the shoes disappear to fast for their liking.
    dunkman shoes,,, very quick.
    blue & white shoes, sure.
    i think they come in any color the wearer likes.
    also, the most popular color being "invisible."

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    i have heard that the dunkman shoe is so green in regards to biodegrading that earth worms are scared
    that the shoes disappear to fast for their liking.
    dunkman shoes,,, very quick.
    blue & white shoes, sure.
    i think they come in any color the wearer likes.
    also, the most popular color being "invisible."

I have about 37 pairs of invisible shoes I have misplaced over the years.
    dunkman wrote:

OMFG!!! someone alert the media... someone didnt have home contents insurance. cant imagine how this is a measure of a person.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say