Options

Poster framing advice DIY / cheap in the UK

so02seeso02see Posts: 238
edited June 2010 in The Porch
OK so I know there's a great offer for US colletors but I need advice on getting a few frames for my posters in the UK. I cant afford to go and get them made to fit. I was thinking maybe a standard 60x80cm frame from Ikea or other High Street would be the best but any other ideas to make it look almost as good as a professional job would be welcome.
Manchester 2000. Leeds 2006. Wembley 2007
SBE/O2 London/Manchester UK/Seattle 2/LA 2/Philadelphia 2/3/4 2009
MSG 1 & 2 2010. Dublin / Belfast / Hyde Park 2010
Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
PJ20 weekend & My Birthday party 4th Sept
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Not familiar with what stores you have in the UK, but I would go with the frames from IKEA, make sure you use an acid free backing in the frame. If you have a crafts store, I would look for frame parts, here in the US we have a Micheal's and they sell frame sides in 2pc sets, so you buy one set of 16" and then another set of 32", and then they sell glass or acrylic inserts. You can ask them to cut mats for you if you want. I got 3 pics framed and matted for $40. I've also had a lot of luck with U-Frame-It, a self framing store. I go in and say I've never done it before, and they will do it for me. ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more research but I'm not aware of anywhere like the stores you suggest where I can buy all the bits like that.
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
  • Options
    SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    where in the UK are you?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,952
    take a trip to Doncaster. My framer is awesome, operates as a charity, and has amazed me time after time. Whereas pro shops charge £150 plus, he has never charged me more than £30 other than the hawaii 06 which was £40 - usually tripple matted, and sealed units......a total steal...and a thoroughly nice guy too....

probably as chaep as Ikea and much much much better presented
  • Options
    Paul, looks like a trip up your way is required. Even just a standard off the shelf black frame, no matt is £30.

I'm in Wolverhampton btw and have 5 maybe 6 posters to frame inc the one in my Profile (signed by my beloved Mr McC)
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    pdalowsky wrote:
    take a trip to Doncaster. My framer is awesome, operates as a charity, and has amazed me time after time. Whereas pro shops charge £150 plus, he has never charged me more than £30 other than the hawaii 06 which was £40 - usually tripple matted, and sealed units......a total steal...and a thoroughly nice guy too....

Wow, that's killer.

I go to a frameshop in Ashbourne which is very good, I've bought some really nice quality frames from there, usually around £40.

Tried a frameshop closer to home in Loughborough and for a bog stanadard black frame the shop wanted about 75-100 - said no thanks and made the longer journey.

I would always recommend a proper frame job that's the perfect szie as opposed to an Ikea job - you'll want to change eventually and then the £20 you spent at Ikea is wasted anyway. A lot of the Ikea frames are awful quality too and bow after hanging.
  • Options
    Plankton wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Wow, that's killer.

I go to a frameshop in Ashbourne which is very good, I've bought some really nice quality frames from there, usually around £40.

Tried a frameshop closer to home in Loughborough and for a bog stanadard black frame the shop wanted about 75-100 - said no thanks and made the longer journey.

I would always recommend a proper frame job that's the perfect szie as opposed to an Ikea job - you'll want to change eventually and then the £20 you spent at Ikea is wasted anyway. A lot of the Ikea frames are awful quality too and bow after hanging.

I know you're right about the Ikea frames. I'll stare at the posters and wish I'd done it properly in the first place instead of a patch job. The last thing I had framed cost over £80, that was half the size and a few years ago so couldn't cope with £100 plus x 6.

Great help as always everyone. Thanks
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
  • Options
    Ok, no probs, check out a place in Askern Doncaster known as Street Frames,

he's called Ray, and a brilliant framer too, he's been at it for 30 years plus

he's a great guy working with charities rehoming great danes all his life....but if you go to his shop you can work with him as to the glass you want and the mounts and take his advice too
  • Options
    I like him more if he's a dog lover too
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
  • Options
    so02see wrote:
    I like him more if he's a dog lover too

oh yeah, he lives with 6 great danes the size of donkeys....