MLB Network

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
If I'm not watching a game, I'm usually watching MLB Network. What personalities do you like/dislike?

I love joe magrane, al leiter, mitch williams, and dave valle

I think kevin millar is a huge douche nugget. matt yalloff wouldn't know a baseball if it hit him in the face. and dan plesac is just flat out annoying...dude is a spaz.

who else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    reynolds is the man. that's all i can think of at this second. think i'm concussed
  • Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    The Fixer wrote:
    If I'm not watching a game, I'm usually watching MLB Network. What personalities do you like/dislike?

I think kevin millar is a huge douche nugget. matt yalloff wouldn't know a baseball if it hit him in the face. and dan plesac is just flat out annoying...dude is a spaz.

who else?

I think Magranes head is too fuckin big(literally) and he's a cocky fuck. Love me some Harold Reynolds though, that dude tells it like it is! Al Leiter is cool too...
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

who else?

I think Magranes head is too fuckin big(literally) and he's a cocky fuck. Love me some Harold Reynolds though, that dude tells it like it is! Al Leiter is cool too...

Magrane might come across like that a little bit...I can understand that. I just love listening to guys that are gonna tell me something that I didn't know. I love listening to magrane talk about the game...he always brings good stuff to the table, even if he does it in a pompous way.
  • I'm down with Mitch and Harold.

Rather indifferent to everyone else I guess.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    I'm down with Mitch and Harold.

+1

It's cool how Mitch came out of hiding after that World Series HR thing. In general I enjoy MLB network much more than Sportscenter, aka the Kobe Bryant highlight show.

P.S. - you knew the Brett Favre thing was about 5 years past ridiculous when even espn realized it was ridiculous.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    I like Leiter, Reynolds, Sean Casey and the Wild Thing.

Too many left handed pitchers on the show though...Leiter, Williams, Plesac, Magrane. I would like a couple more position players - and a few guys that played in the 70s.

Also, Peter Gammons is great (hence his Hall of Fame induction).
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."

+1

It's cool how Mitch came out of hiding after that World Series HR thing. In general I enjoy MLB network much more than Sportscenter, aka the Kobe Bryant highlight show.

P.S. - you knew the Brett Favre thing was about 5 years past ridiculous when even espn realized it was ridiculous.

I'm with you man...I don't even watch espn anymore. MLB Network and NFL Network for me. ESPN pimps the same stories...favre, dallas cowboys, red sox, lebron, etc. plus their anchors are brutal. yeah, stu scott I'm looking at you.

I hear the sportscenter music and I instinctively grab the remote
  • Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    The Fixer wrote:

+1

I'm with you man...I don't even watch espn anymore. MLB Network and NFL Network for me. ESPN pimps the same stories...favre, dallas cowboys, red sox, lebron, etc. plus their anchors are brutal. yeah, stu scott I'm looking at you.

I hear the sportscenter music and I instinctively grab the remote

Toats magoats man.... And listen I have to say it...Joe " I'm a black HOF" Morgan, is a fuckin tool... Makes me sick everytime they put his dumb ass in the booth for a good Sunday night game....Oh I hate him!
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • LOVE MLB Net. looking forward to some draft action tonight. My favorite guy is Tom verducci. He's a great baseball writer for SI, who I've liked since the early 90's when he was writing for Newsday. The only guy I don't like is Harold Reynolds. I actually can't stand him. My favorite old player is Magrane. he's great. And anyone else notice that Jon heyman is basically Scott Boras' Press Secretary? He's always waxing poetic about Boras clients, esp. free agents
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    LOVE MLB Net. looking forward to some draft action tonight. My favorite guy is Tom verducci. He's a great baseball writer for SI, who I've liked since the early 90's when he was writing for Newsday. The only guy I don't like is Harold Reynolds. I actually can't stand him. My favorite old player is Magrane. he's great. And anyone else notice that Jon heyman is basically Scott Boras' Press Secretary? He's always waxing poetic about Boras clients, esp. free agents

Dude, this is so spot on about Heyman and Boras. I think Boras has him on speed dial and Heyman just repeats whatever nonsense Boras wants to tell him to boost his clients leverage.

I like Verducci as well, only thing I am not a huge fan of was how much he defended Selena Roberts after that book.
    Bryce Harper is officially an outfielder
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    LOVE MLB Net. looking forward to some draft action tonight. My favorite guy is Tom verducci. He's a great baseball writer for SI, who I've liked since the early 90's when he was writing for Newsday. The only guy I don't like is Harold Reynolds. I actually can't stand him. My favorite old player is Magrane. he's great. And anyone else notice that Jon heyman is basically Scott Boras' Press Secretary? He's always waxing poetic about Boras clients, esp. free agents

Dude, this is so spot on about Heyman and Boras. I think Boras has him on speed dial and Heyman just repeats whatever nonsense Boras wants to tell him to boost his clients leverage.

I like Verducci as well, only thing I am not a huge fan of was how much he defended Selena Roberts after that book.

The journalists they have (gammons, verducci, heyman, etc) are there more to break stories than anything else. I think they are all pretty much the same. I never made the boras/heyman connection...that's interesting.

I could do without harold reynolds too. he knows the game, but he doesn't know shit about the today's players. he's a lot better than billy ripken though...that dude just seems like a miserable prick

nice cans, awful helmet. I'm not a big fan. anything is better than matt yalloff doing those highlights though. That guy is the absolute worst
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The journalists they have (gammons, verducci, heyman, etc) are there more to break stories than anything else. I think they are all pretty much the same. I never made the boras/heyman connection...that's interesting.

I could do without harold reynolds too. he knows the game, but he doesn't know shit about the today's players. he's a lot better than billy ripken though...that dude just seems like a miserable prick

Dude, the Boras-Heyman shit is so spot on. A buddy and I talk about that the time. Heyman will say the dumbest shit that only could have come from Boras.
  • there have been times when heyman wil be raving about someone, talking about how 12 teams want to sign him, how they're offering 6 year contracts......and I"ll look it up.....Boras client. He was saying ove rthe winter that there were multiple teams offering Johnny damon 4 years
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love the mlb network. AT&T U verse does not have the MLB network so I won't get it. I was ready to buy and i was looking over the channels and I asked the sales guy about it and he checked and said we don't get it.....

He did not understand why that was a dealbreaker :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    i hope they rush him to the bigs and he becomes a bust like most 1st overall picks do. least he'll have some money to match that G.E.D.

hazel mae does nothing for me. if mlb network wanted a hot chick they shoulda went with jenny finch.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    i hope they rush him to the bigs and he becomes a bust like most 1st overall picks do. least he'll have some money to match that G.E.D.

hazel mae does nothing for me. if mlb network wanted a hot chick they shoulda went with jenny finch.

i hear on the jenny finch...not sure what she knows about mlb though...
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

i hear on the jenny finch...not sure what she knows about mlb though...
    well she did actually play on a baseball diamond. so that does count for something i guess.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope they rush him so I have some trade Value in Keeper fantasy league :thumbup:

I bought him for a dollar in the last round of my draft.
    NERDS!
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    edited June 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope not, the kid is a beast. Plus, I really would like to see the National's do well because it would be great for baseball to see a team which was so terrible turn into a contender. Not to mention Harper has played in a wooden bat league, so he is proving his power numbers are legit. Just needed to work with his attitude. I am sure he could have something in his contract indicating he can only stay in the minors for so long. He is a Boras Client after all.

"Playing against a high level of competition and hitting with a wooden bat has not presented much of a challenge to Harper. The 17-year-old hit .442 with 29 home runs and 89 RBIs during the 2010 regular season. And in the National Junior College World Series, Harper hit for the cycle while going 6-for-7. The next day, he went 2-for-5 in the first game of a doubleheader and 6-for-6 with four home runs in the nightcap."
    Post edited by jervin007 on
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope he steps into the box with that eye black all over his face in his first big league at bat, that would not go over well,.
    They are not going to rush this kid to the big leagues.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    They are not going to rush this kid to the big leagues.

agreed. I could see him up by 20-21. Similar to Heyward or Stanton. In the end it's all about saving $$$.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    everyone needs to chill out about the Nats. Strasburg will be awesome and Harper has a chance to be really good too. It takes more than 2 guys to build a good team though. They don't have many pieces at the current major league level that will be around for the forseeable future (I do like Jordan Zimmermann, but who knows how he'll repsond to TJ surgery).

from baseball prospectus...this puts things into perspective. their system blows

The Washington Nationals might be mired in the basement of the National League East, but they are nonetheless one of the most pleasant surprises in the game. Predicted by most to once again be one of the worst teams in baseball and in contention to have the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft for the third consecutive year, a scrappy mix of young players and thought-to-be washed out veterans have flirted with .500 for much of the season.

Today, the team gets even better with the addition of insta-ace Stephen Strasburg, the top pitching prospect in the game and, some think, of the generation. Once the top pick from Monday, Bryce Harper, signs in mid-August, many believe that the Nationals will once again have the top prospect in the game and another historic-level talent on the horizon.

So Strasburg makes them better instantly and Harper assumingly does down the road a bit, but what about the rest of the Nationals' system?

While simply adding a true No. 1 starter to the mix improves the team dramatically, it doesn't suddenly turn them into the long-term playoff contender, and for general manager Mike Rizzo, there is still much work to be done.

With Strasburg graduated to the big leagues and Harper not an official part of the organization yet, the Nationals suddenly have one of the less impressive systems in baseball.

The biggest issue is with pitching. Strasburg wasn't only the top arm in the system, for some he was the only one. He's the only starter in the big league rotation who strikes any fear in opponents, and some would argue that there's not a single arm in the system now who projects as a big league starter of any merit.

Some young arms like Paul Demny, Dan Rosenbaum and Trevor Holder are doing well at the lower levels, but all of them have No. 4 or 5 starter ceilings, and they're a long way from even that.

The biggest problem has been draft failures beyond Strasburg.

2006 first-round pick Colten Willems has already retired from baseball after putting up a 9.49 ERA this year, 2007 supplemental first-round pick Josh Smoker has a 6.63 mark at Low-A Hagerstown, and left-hander Jack McGeary, who received a $1.8 million bonus as a sixth-round pick in 2007 has a career 5.05 ERA while also failing to advance from Low-A. That's nearly $4 million spent on high-ceiling arms with nothing to show for it, and it's left the system barren when it comes to players who might be able to join Strasburg and shore up the rotation.

It's the same story In the bullpen, as there's nothing behind 2009 first-round pick Drew Storen, who has, like Strasburg, already reached the big leagues. The system's best bet beyond Storen is fireballer Juan Jaime, who has missed the entire 2010 season with elbow issues, while closer-to-the-big-leagues types such as righty Jeff Mandel and southpaw Atahualpa Severino have both failed to impress scouts at Triple-A.

Things don't get better when it comes to position player prospects.

Until Harper puts pen on paper and signs, the top prospect in the system is catcher Derek Norris, who had a breakout campaign in 2009, leading the Low-A South Atlantic League in walks while also slugging 23 home runs. Still recovering from a broken bone in his hand, Norris has been limited to just 20 games and one home run this year at High-A Potomac.

Beyond Norris, there are plenty of options for the organization's second-best position prospect, but none of them are especially good.

Shortstop Danny Espinosa seems to have hit a developmental wall at Double-A this year (.236/.330/.391), 2006 first-rounder Chris Marrero has shown little sign that he'll hit enough to play first base in the big leagues and 2009 second-rounder Jeff Kobernus, a player the Nationals believe capable of a big showing this year, has been oft-injured at Low-A Hagerstown while providing little production (.235/.260/.261) when able to take the field.

Another million-dollar bonus baby, 2008 draftee Destin Hood, remains a toolsy but unproductive outfielder, with one of the few bright spots being fellow flychaser Michael Burgess, a compact power hitter whom scouts have seen great strides from at Potomac. As far as middle infielders go, after Espinosa, there simply are none.

This is not to say that all is lost in our nation's capital's team. Rizzo inherited a garbage dump of a system after years of mismanagement and spendthrifty ways, with Strasburg and now Harper being more like air fresheners that mask the odor as opposed to eliminating it. He's also one of the best scouting minds in the business and the organization is in good hands. The jump from awfulness to mediocrity is much easier than the jump to consistent playoff contention, and that second one still could take a while.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Back to MLB Network ... who the hell are you people that you like Harold Reynolds. That guy is a freakin' idiot. The only person worse than him in baseball braodcasting is Joe Morgan.

I'm a fan of Sean Casey when he's on ... he's a riot.

Al Leiter ... like him on MLB Network, not so much when he's a colorman for games.

Good call on Verducci earlier as well.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    jimed14 wrote:
    Back to MLB Network ... who the hell are you people that you like Harold Reynolds. That guy is a freakin' idiot. The only person worse than him in baseball braodcasting is Joe Morgan.

Al Leiter ... like him on MLB Network, not so much when he's a colorman for games.

I like Reynolds and Morgan :?

I can't stand Buck, McCarver.
    NERDS!
    jimed14 wrote:

I don't think joe buck is bad during baseball games. hate him for football.

joe morgan could be worse than mccarver. that's like picking between AIDS and cancer
    The Fixer wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

I don't think joe buck is bad during baseball games. hate him for football.

joe morgan could be worse than mccarver. that's like picking between AIDS and cancer

The good thing about Buck is that he knows when to shut up and not say anything. Silence is a good thing at times during a baseball broadcast. I am not a huge fan of him but he has gotten much much better with baseball.

Sunday Night Baseball is the worst broadcast any sport has to offer.