Options

Canadian Justice System

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited June 2010 in A Moving Train
It's Monday morning and I feel as though I need to vent...

A year ago a 25 year old male drove while intoxicated and hit and killed three teenagers. He didn't stop and later drove into a house. He is out on bail.

Two or three months ago a 22 year old male kills his 2 month old son. He is out on bail.

A month ago another 20 something male fired 5 shots striking another male. He is being charged with 5 counts of attempted murder. He is out on bail.

Two and a half years ago my best friend was murdered and stabbed 80 times by her 14 year old step-son. He recieved 4 years in a youth facility and 3 years under community supervision. His name will be cleared since he is under 18 years old.

All these indicents happened where I live. Something definately needs to change.
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend. RIP.

Take it easy, man. The US justice system is just as bad. Criminals and terrorists are the "victims", and decent people keep getting the shaft.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    If i remember from a law class in high school, i think its something like, a criminal only has to serve 1/3 of their sentence before they are eligible for bail, and only 2/3 of their sentence in total....

although what you posted those times seem even more short.

so sorry about your friend... that truly is terrible.
    our justice system should change the minors thing to 16 at least, i think you should be accountable at the age of 14 or 15... especially for a crime as heavy as murder.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    haffajappa wrote:
    If i remember from a law class in high school, i think its something like, a criminal only has to serve 1/3 of their sentence before they are eligible for bail, and only 2/3 of their sentence in total....

our justice system should change the minors thing to 16 at least, i think you should be accountable at the age of 14 or 15... especially for a crime as heavy as murder.

think you are confusing bail and parole
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    polaris_x wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

think you are confusing bail and parole
    ehh probably.. been a while.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    ONE YEAR SENTENCE FOR KIDNAPPING?
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/One-year-sentence-angers-mom-263934541.html

Emily Cablek couldn’t bear to watch the sentencing hearing of the man who helped facilitate the kidnapping of her two children.

And the Winnipeg mother is having a tough time digesting the one-year jail term handed down this week, calling it a serious injustice.

Enlarge Image
    Robert Groen (POLICE / HANDOUT)

Enlarge Image
    Kevin Maryk (WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES) Photo Store
    "It’s sad. He pretty much got away with it," Cablek told the Free Press Thursday.

"I lost my kids for four years, which is a lot worse. I feel like he’s not really taking any responsibility."

Robert Groen, 43, pleaded guilty to being a party to abduction for his role in the kidnappings. The Crown sought a four-year prison term.

Dominic Maryk, now 13, and Abby Maryk, now 11, were abducted while on a court-authorized visitation with their father, Kevin Maryk, in August 2008.

They were found in May 2012 in Mexico.

“‘It’s sad. He pretty much got away with it. I lost my kids for four years, which is a lot worse. I feel like he’s not really taking any responsibility’ — Emily CablekKevin Maryk is set to be sentenced later this month. A third accused, Maryk’s nephew, Cody McKay, 24, is wanted on a warrant. McKay is believed to be hiding in Mexico.

Cablek didn’t attend Groen’s hearing, instead allowing justice officials to play a videotaped victim-impact statement that spoke of the trauma inflicted on her two children.

Both were kept as "virtual prisoners," provincial court Judge Dale Schille said upon hearing the facts.

But that leaves Cablek wondering why he didn’t deliver a tougher sentence.

Schille sentenced Groen to six more months in jail. He’s already served six months. He will likely be released on parole by this summer.

"(Groen) has a child himself (a 15-year-old daughter). How he could just sit back and let this happen is frustrating," Cablek said Thursday.

Cablek hopes the Crown is considering an appeal of the ruling. It has 30 days to file an appeal.

Groen, a longtime neighbour and friend of Maryk, admitted to sending more than US$30,000 to Mexico. That money allowed Maryk to continue hiding out with the two children. They were living in virtual squalor, with no access to doctors, dentists or schools. The children have behavioural and developmental issues because they were isolated from others for so long.

"Dominic and Abby had their safety put on the line constantly. It wasn’t any kind of normal life," Cablek said.

When Winnipeg police began to close in on Groen in 2011, he fled to Mexico to live with Maryk and the children.

Groen left his wife, emptied their bank account and sold much of his possessions, including $30,000 in jewelry, the car he was driving that was owned by his parents and a $4,000 stamp collection.

At his sentencing, Groen’s lawyer claimed Maryk had "control" over him based on his aggressive demeanour. But Cablek questioned how he could have stayed silent for so many years, especially when Maryk was in Mexico and he remained in Winnipeg.

"When Kevin left, why couldn’t he have gone to the police?" she said Thursday. "And it’s not like he forced him to (go) to Mexico."

Cablek is planning to attend Maryk’s sentencing hearing in person. She believes the Crown plans to seek a five-year sentence. The maximum penalty for abduction is 10 years.

Both children are confused about their father, who is now gone from their lives.

"They both miss their dad, of course. They don’t know why he did what he did," Cablek said.

Abby is struggling the most.

"She puts it behind her rather than deal with it. It’s like that time of her life doesn’t exist. She doesn’t like to talk about anything," said Cablek.

Dominic suffers extreme emotional issues and spends much of his time playing video games.

"He still has nightmares, is afraid of the dark," said Cablek.

She and her kids have spent countless hours with psychologists and counsellors, but progress is slow. "Things aren’t the way I’d hoped they’d be," said Cablek.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I don't have much issue with our parole boards (as of yet), it's the front end; the judges. They are so ridiculously soft it's like they aren't even a part of the process. One year for the facilitation of keeping two children in captivity for 4 years and damaging them emotionally and mentally possibly for life? And with time served and early parole, he'll be out this summer? like, in a month??? Seriously???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    what I do like is they finally repealed that ridiculous law of giving criminals double time pre-trial custody credit. Double time? what the fuck for? who's brilliant idea was this? He was in jail for 6 months waiting for trial because he was too dangerous for bail, so let's just count that as a year. No biggie. I can't believe it took them so long to abolish that bullshit.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2014
    Hugh...
    While you were away, the Canadian justice system was brought up in another thread (I didn't realize this thread existed). I think it was in the drunk driving thread.
    These types of stories are ridiculously commonplace up here in the great white north. I become exasperated when reading the news and looking at how weak our penal system is.
    It's a flat out joke. For a 'classic'... read the following if you dare:

In 2001, Dean Robert Zimmerman was sentenced to jail for brutally raping, tormenting, and torturing his pregnant wife in an attack that lasted over 48 hours. He not only repeatedly assaulted her, but he also broke her nose and threatened to cut her unborn baby from her belly. And this attack took place while he was out on parole for the earlier violent rape of a 19-year-old woman.

Then, after serving less than four years in jail for that horrific attack, the guy was released and, on January 1, 2005, he committed yet another vicious attack, this time a nine-hour sex assault/torture session involving a toilet plunger and a 24-year-old Edmonton woman.

He pleaded guilty to sexual assault involving a weapon and forcible confinement and was sent away for—wait for it—40 whole months in federal prison.

Yes, that's right, forty months. That's three years and four months in prison for a savage sexual and physical assault and sadistic torture session. His third such conviction in a few short years to boot.

When exactly, one wonders, will the courts start considering this guy a threat to society and someone, perhaps, deserving of a real substantial prison sentence?

It's not just the courts though. The whole system is a joke. He was actually sentenced to six years—a rather insignificant sentence considering his crimes—but on September 29, 2009 he was released nearly three years early.

"But maybe he was reformed and repentant", you say.

Well, actually the National Parole Board describes him as a psychopath who is lacking remorse and empathy and whose violence towards women is escalating to a deadly level. Just last year they wrote that if released "There is a likelihood [he] would commit an offence causing serious harm or death".

And so they released him. And now he's skipped out on parole and is on the run.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/canadian-justice-system-so-broken-its-criminal

Okay okay... don't worry. That piece was written in 2009 so it's not likely he's out now. They've probably apprehended him and I'm sure things are just fine.

Oh oh. Wait a second. Nope. Worry. He's served another 34 months and he's raring to go:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/492731/rcmp-warn-of-violent-sex-offenders-release-in-red-deer/
    (April, 2013)

False alarm. It's fine. We don't have to worry. Pshew! He's been apprehended again so there will be a reprieve for a couple of months:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-high-risk-sex-offender-arrested-1.2447205
    (December, 2013)

Absolute, 100%, irrefutable, sheer absurdity.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Yes sentences can be too short. On bail though we need to side with innocent till proven guilty and just have to ensure the bail is sufficient to ensure accused shows up for court. So it's a case by case basis. So the question should be, do the accused skip town? If not well system is working. We cannot incarcerate everyone that is accused. Is it perfect? No. Do we have alternative solution?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    We're not really on the subject of bail, Callen. Most would agree with the idea of 'innocent until proven guilty'. We are on the subject of wet-tissue soft sentences that are a joke. From your post, it seems you are suggesting that although our current system is not perfect, it's pretty good considering we don't have an alternative. It sounds a bit like a defence of the current system which... most normal people are hardly impressed with.

Did you read the post I placed in this thread? Even though a guy can rot behind bars for life after the first violent rape he commits (in my mind)... we insist on providing mutants such as this multiple opportunities to display he can refrain from kidnapping, torturing and raping women they encounter before we even consider a harsh sentence. By 'harsh sentence'... I guess I mean something more than 20 months because there is a bleeding heart contingent amongst our policy makers that have been calling the shots and they don't think much of multiple violent rape convictions- they're focused on the poor, poor rapist and how he just needs another chance... even though he refuses therapy, displays a clear and consistent pattern of deviant behaviour, and has been labelled a 'psychopath' by our experts.

It's a fucking joke. Just agree here, please.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yeah thirty agree per my first sentence. And did read, just bail was brought up as the accused were temporarily free awaiting trail. So did get bit off topic. Have said it before, I'm for longer sentences (no DP as we've discussed at nausea ).
    So what's the solution? How do we build a better mouse trap? Think judges should be able to make case by case decisions. But sometimes they get it wrong.

And yes till someone comes up with better solution this is the best we have and mostly it works ok.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Murder and rape maybe, just maybe set minimum sentences. Could be a problem.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    I think bringing up bail is still on topic. it is, after all, part of the judicial process. as I had mentioned, I'm so glad they did away with double pre-trial custody credit. It's the judges that are too soft. Chance after chance after chance is given to people who prove without a shadow of a doubt they will offend again, and usually escalate to boot, like the guy 30 posted about.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited June 2014
    And we are constantly getting news reports/warnings about violent sex offenders and/or child predators who are released from prison and are considered a high risk to reoffend. Wtf, then they shouldn't be released! We're also often hearing about people who raped or murdered and had been released from prison for similar crimes already. Some changes in sentencing laws and release conditions are badly needed in Canada.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    it's almost like a weekly newsletter from my daughter's school about a sex offender that is high risk to reoffend and is believed to be relocating to my city. Lovely. I'm always hearing about the "dangerous offenders" clause, and how it is rarely used. They should have special jails where sex offenders go. And stay there. Isn't it proven that sex offenders are not rehabilitatable?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Isn't it proven that sex offenders are not rehabilitatable?

No

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/sx-ffndr-rcdvsm/index-eng.aspx

https://www.ncjrs.gov/sexoffenders/treatment.html

Locking people up and throwing away the key is not the answer.
  • Options
    dignin said:

No

I agree. But setting them free when we know they will offend again isnt either.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I guess i should have clarified. I dont think that someone who just shows his willy in the park should be locked up forever with someone who violently rapes someone with a broom handle. But i think the likelihood of reoffending for some is very high, yet our justice system is scared to use the dangerous offender tag. Why is that?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I think what we do need is a place that we could send all pedophiles. Call it "Pedoph Island".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dignin said:

No

Geezuz, man. Get serious. Placing small children at risk is hardly the answer either.

If some guy rapes a child, his rehabilitation is hardly something I'm going to concern myself with. It's one thing that we don't place him in the ring with the father of the child... it's quite another to become so concerned with providing him opportunities to rape more children.

If some mutant rapes a kid... lets error on the side of caution and, yes, throw away the key. Unless, of course, you would like to offer your home with your children in it as a 'halfway place' for him to try and reintegrate.
  • Options

I guess i should have clarified. I dont think that someone who just shows his willy in the park should be locked up forever with someone who violently rapes someone with a broom handle. But i think the likelihood of reoffending for some is very high, yet our justice system is scared to use the dangerous offender tag. Why is that?

The dangerous offender tag is essentially a death sentence. I think it should be used in only the most extreme cases, which seems to be the case now.

I agree that our system isn't perfect, but I prefer rehabilitation to punishment. Mandatory minimums are draconian and a Harper pushed agenda that have no base in science and fact. They make us feel better and safer but are shown to not be good for society as a whole. To house all these perps in jail would cost money, money that could be used in programs for me and you. Money that could be used to rehabilitate them. It just makes economical sense.

I'm not naive, I know some people just cant be fixed. But it is proven that most can, given the right help.

You may be interested in this, I found it very eye opening.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/522/tarred-and-feathered?act=2#play

• Options
    dignin said:

The dangerous offender tag is essentially a death sentence. I think it should be used in only the most extreme cases, which seems to be the case now.

I agree that our system isn't perfect, but I prefer rehabilitation to punishment. Mandatory minimums are draconian and a Harper pushed agenda that have no base in science and fact. They make us feel better and safer but are shown to not be good for society as a whole. To house all these perps in jail would cost money, money that could be used in programs for me and you. Money that could be used to rehabilitate them. It just makes economical sense.

I'm not naive, I know some people just cant be fixed. But it is proven that most can, given the right help.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/522/tarred-and-feathered?act=2#play

Why is the DO tag a death sentence?

If you have seen any of the other threads, I am always arguing for the side of rehabilitation as well. But I was honestly under the impression that violent sex offenders (especially pedophiles) are less likely to be rehabilitated than any other criminal. Not sure where I got that from (maybe watching too much SVU-who knows). I shall read up on it sir. Thanks for the link.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited June 2014
    I have always thought that rehabilitating a pedophile is like trying to rehabilitate a homo or hetero sexual. that is their sexual orientation, or at least a psychological disorder/disease. they are just wired differently. But, hey, I've been wrong many times before.
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    dignin said:

There are definitely shortcomings with regards to the rehabilitative efforts in our prisons. But while we can say this, we can also say that there are some who will never be rehabilitated regardless of the quality of programming we might ever be able to offer them.

As it stands right now... The reconviction rate for all the releases in the first year was 44%.
    http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/rcvd-fdffndr/index-eng.aspx

I looked through various sources, but found it hard to find a document that listed recidivism rates by criminal nature. Assuming the rates stay somewhat consistent between criminal activities, with burglars and car thieves, the reconviction rate is nothing we should be too concerned about and one could even argue that we have been successful changing these types of behaviours; however, when we 'roll the dice' with sexual offenders and release them into the public in the hopes that they assume a 'normal' life... and they don't... the consequences are profound- we can always replace a car. It's a lot harder to repair the damages a child suffers as a result of a rape.

Prentky, Lee, Knight, and Cerce (1997) found that over a 25-year period, child molesters had higher rates of reoffense than rapists. In this study, recidivism was operationalized as a failure rate and calculated as the proportion of individuals who were rearrested using survival analysis (which takes into account the amount of time each offender has been at risk in the community). Results show that over longer periods of time, child molesters have a higher failure rate—thus, a higher rate of rearrest—than rapists (52 percent versus 39 percent over 25 years).
    http://www.csom.org/pubs/recidsexof.html

Labelling someone as a dangerous offender is in the interest of public safety. I'm sorry, but if a pedophile rapist moves into my neighbourhood and has, statistically speaking, a 50% chance of reoffending... then I want to know about this.
  • Options

I have always thought that rehabilitating a pedophile is like trying to rehabilitate a homo or hetero sexual. that is their sexual orientation, or at least a psychological disorder/disease. they are just wired differently. But, hey, I've been wrong many times before.

You may be right, the subject is so taboo that there really hasn't been very much research done on paedophilia. They may always have a sexual preference for children but with the right help they could control their urge to act on that preference and never offend.

I do have sympathy for them. (the ones who don't act on there urges) It would be a shitty way to live.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

dignin said:

There are definitely shortcomings with regards to the rehabilitative efforts in our prisons. But while we can say this, we can also say that there are some who will never be rehabilitated regardless of the quality of programming we might ever be able to offer them.

As it stands right now... The reconviction rate for all the releases in the first year was 44%.
    http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/rcvd-fdffndr/index-eng.aspx

I looked through various sources, but found it hard to find a document that listed recidivism rates by criminal nature. Assuming the rates stay somewhat consistent between criminal activities, with burglars and car thieves, the reconviction rate is nothing we should be too concerned about and one could even argue that we have been successful changing these types of behaviours; however, when we 'roll the dice' with sexual offenders and release them into the public in the hopes that they assume a 'normal' life... and they don't... the consequences are profound- we can always replace a car. It's a lot harder to repair the damages a child suffers as a result of a rape.

Prentky, Lee, Knight, and Cerce (1997) found that over a 25-year period, child molesters had higher rates of reoffense than rapists. In this study, recidivism was operationalized as a failure rate and calculated as the proportion of individuals who were rearrested using survival analysis (which takes into account the amount of time each offender has been at risk in the community). Results show that over longer periods of time, child molesters have a higher failure rate—thus, a higher rate of rearrest—than rapists (52 percent versus 39 percent over 25 years).
    http://www.csom.org/pubs/recidsexof.html

Labelling someone as a dangerous offender is in the interest of public safety. I'm sorry, but if a pedophile rapist moves into my neighbourhood and has, statistically speaking, a 50% chance of reoffending... then I want to know about this.

Edit: sorry I see you did post some of that article. I didn't catch that.

Discussion
    Most sexual offenders do not re-offend sexually over time. This may be the most important finding of this study as this finding is contrary to some strongly held beliefs. After 15 years, 73% of sexual offenders had not been charged with, or convicted of, another sexual offence. The sample was sufficiently large that very strong contradictory evidence is necessary to substantially change these recidivism estimates. Other studies have found similar results. Hanson and Bussière's (1998) quantitative review of recidivism studies found an average recidivism rate of 13.4% after a follow-up period of 4-5 years (n = 23,393). In a recent U.S. study of 9,691 sex offenders, the sexual recidivism rate was only 5.3% after three years (Langan, Schmitt, & Durose, 2003).

Not all sexual offenders, however, were equally likely to reoffend. By using simple, easily observed characteristics, it was possible to differentiate between offenders whose five year recidivism rate was 5%, from those whose recidivism rate was 25%. The factors associated with increased risk were the following: a) male victims, b) prior sexual offences, and c) young age.

Although the number of recidivists increases with extended follow-up, the rate of offending decreases the longer offenders have been offence-free. The five year recidivism rate for new releases of 14% decreased to 4% for individuals who have been offence-free for 15 years. The observed rates underestimate the actual rates because not all sexual offences are detected; nevertheless, the current findings contrast with the popular notion that all sexual offender remain at risk throughout their lifespan.

The observed recidivism rates in the current study are slightly lower than the lifetime sexual recidivism rates estimated by Doren (1998) - 52% for child molesters and 39% for rapists. Doren's estimates were largely based on long-term follow-up of highly selected samples (Hanson et al., 1995; Prentky, et al., 1997); in contrast, the current study used larger and more diverse samples, including many low risk offenders serving community sentences. Doren's (1998) estimates were also based on charges, whereas most of the recidivism data in the current study was based on convictions.

Another difference is that Doren (1998) attempted to generate life-time estimates whereas our estimates extend only to 15 years. We were unable to locate any study that followed a large sample of sexual offenders until they were dead. Very long-term studies are difficult because records go missing, particularly for individuals who have had no recent involvement with the law (Hanson & Nicholaichuk, 2000). Nevertheless, the decreasing rate of offending with age suggests that the rates observed after 15 to 20 years are likely to approximate the rates that would be observed if offenders were followed for the rest of their lives.

When people ask questions about sexual offender recidivism rates, there often is an inherent assumption that the answer is a fixed, knowable rate that will not change. This supposition is unlikely to be true. The rate of sexual re-offence is quite likely to change over time due to social factors and the effectiveness of strategies for managing this population. Most of the offenders in the current study did not receive effective treatment, whereas treatment is currently provided to almost all of the high risk sexual offenders in Canada. Research has found that contemporary cognitive-behavioural treatment is associated with reductions in sexual recidivism rates from 17% to 10% after approximately 5 years of follow-up (Hanson et al., 2002). Furthermore, increased public awareness and concern should reduce the opportunities for sexual offenders to locate potential victims.

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    and also this

Policy implications
    Although no finding is ever definitive, the basic findings of the current study are sufficiently reliable to have implications for criminal justice policy. Given that the level of sexual recidivism is lower than commonly believed, discussions of the risk posed by sexual offenders should clearly differentiate between the high public concern about these offences and the relatively low probability of sexual re-offence.

The variation in recidivism rates suggests that not all sex offenders should be treated the same. Within the correctional literature it is well known that the most effective use of correctional resources targets truly high-risk offenders and applies lower levels of resources to lower risk offenders (Andrews & Bonta, 2003). The greater the assessed risk, the higher the levels of intervention and supervision; the lower the assessed risk, the lower the levels of intervention and supervision. Research has even suggested that offenders may actually be made worse by the imposition of higher levels of treatment and supervision than is warranted given their risk level (Andrews & Bonta, 2003). Consequently, blanket policies that treat all sexual offenders as "high risk" waste resources by over-supervising lower risk offenders and risk diverting resources from the truly high-risk offenders who could benefit from increased supervision and human service.

Although the broad risk markers in the current study are useful for estimating recidivism risk, it is possible to improve predictive accuracy by combining such factors into structured risk scales (e.g., Hanson, 1997). The evidence supporting the validity of these risk scales is now sufficient that they should be routinely included in applied risk assessments with sexual offenders (Barbaree, Seto, Langton, Peacock, 2001; Sjöstedt, & Långström, 2001; and reviews by Doren, 2002; Hanson, Morton & Harris, 2003).

Rather than considering all sexual offenders as continuous, lifelong threats, society will be better served when legislation and policies consider the cost/benefit break point after which resources spent tracking and supervising low-risk sexual offenders are better re-directed toward the management of high-risk sexual offenders, crime prevention, and victim services.
  • Options
    dignin said:

You may be right, the subject is so taboo that there really hasn't been very much research done on paedophilia. They may always have a sexual preference for children but with the right help they could control their urge to act on that preference and never offend.

I do have sympathy for them. (the ones who don't act on there urges) It would be a shitty way to live.
    it is a very unpopular and fear-inducing sentiment to express, but so do I. I cannot imagine living with urges like that and not being able to control them or make them go away. I'd probably off myself.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

dignin said:

it is a very unpopular and fear-inducing sentiment to express, but so do I. I cannot imagine living with urges like that and not being able to control them or make them go away. I'd probably off myself.
    That makes two of us.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Sorry, I've got nothing but disgust and loathing for child molesters and high-risk offenders. I get that recidivism rates are variable depending on the risk category of the offender. It isn't surprising that in the study cited above they found that by increasing the sample to include more low-risk offenders they found recidivism rates were lower than previous studies. Big deal. Any other result would have been suspect. Low-risk offenders aren't really peoples' big concern. It is the high-risk offenders who scare people, and rightly so. Those are the people that will likely not be rehabilitated, and are a coin toss away from reoffending. Those are the people that should be locked up for good. Those are the people that neighbors should know about through public awareness. If any sort of high-risk offender ends up in my neighborhood everyone will know. Flyers will be hung, posts will be made, and hopefully the offender will decide that my neighborhood isn't the place for him. I won't leave the safety of my kids or neighbors to the toss of a coin and we should hold judges and parole boards accountable when they allow these monsters back into the general population to reoffend.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08