Options

How does Ed keep his voice sounding so great?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    1. Interesting how the OP asked how Ed's voice has stayed in such great shape and everyone is responding that in fact it hasn't. I tend to disagree - I think he sounds terrific. You can certainly hear an edge from him smoking, but I think he still has the same presence he always did and hits pretty much all the notes. I think he keeps his voice in such great shape because he actually barely ever uses it. With the exception of 2000, 2003 and 2006, the band has toured in short 3-4 week blocks for 10 years, and often not at all.

2. You guys keep harping on the lungs issue. While smoking is of course terrible for your lungs, that is not at all where it would be reflected in his performance. Smoking causes lung cancer which is largely silent until it is too late and emphysema which in its early stages (where Ed would be) tends to leave you short of breath. That might make him winded from jumping around too much (clearly Ed does not have emphysema) but would not interfere with this singing. It's the direct effect the smoking has on the vocal cords that is the issue - it causes inflammation, scarring and polyps.

3. I'd love to help Ed quit not because it would save his voice (I dont think it needs saving) but because I, too, would hate to see the world lose such a talent. Smoking's worst effects are actually on your heart, and that's what I'd be most worried about.

4. I would be very surprised if, much like singing, Ed smokes and drinks like he does on tour when he is off tour. Sorry but there is no way a guy who smokes even half a pack/day can sing remotely like Ed at 45 years old. I think smoking while on tour gives his voice a nice rough edge, and the drink is just damn fun. But I would venture Ed doesn't do a whole lot of drinking and smoking outside of tour. Call me crazy or dead wrong but I just dont think so.