Options

How does Ed keep his voice sounding so great?

JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
edited June 2010 in The Porch
how does Ed sing some of these songs without killing his voice, he does it so effortlessly. think Love Reign over Me, or Blood.
2006 - Washington D.C.
2010 - Bristow, VA
2013 - Charlottesville, VA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,642
    Some would say, he has killed his voice.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    American Spirits?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjammer92pjammer92 Posts: 67
    All the Ciggerettes he smokes and Wine he drinks...
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,572
    Edie was given a godlike power with his voice. Being given such a thing that was the key to my success, starting smoking and messing with it is probably the last thing I would have ever done. Eddie can smoke all he wants, I am not gonna take that right away from him, but I think it is sad that he does it and it has definately had a bad impact on his voice over the years.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    +1
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Niko80 wrote:
    Edie was given a godlike power with his voice. Being given such a thing that was the key to my success, starting smoking and messing with it is probably the last thing I would have ever done. Eddie can smoke all he wants, I am not gonna take that right away from him, but I think it is sad that he does it and it has definately had a bad impact on his voice over the years.

Interesting.

I believe Eddie just has a great fucking voice. I also believe rock'n'roll is a way of a life, not a job. He ain't no opera singer and he ain't no slave to any grindstone. We've had him at his best and no rock singer ever stays that way, it's just how it goes, smoking or not smoking. In many cases it's the smoking and drinking that assists in giving the vocals character. His voice tells a story. To me he still kicks more ass than any other singer and very rarely do I get upset about the current state of his voice. Eddie is King. :D
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Interesting.

I believe Eddie just has a great fucking voice. I also believe rock'n'roll is a way of a life, not a job. He ain't no opera singer and he ain't no slave to any grindstone. We've had him at his best and no rock singer ever stays that way, it's just how it goes, smoking or not smoking. In many cases it's the smoking and drinking that assists in giving the vocals character. His voice tells a story. To me he still kicks more ass than any other singer and very rarely do I get upset about the current state of his voice. Eddie is King. :D
    Well said, I wholeheartedly agree!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,491
    he has a great voice and he put soul while singing..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    His voice is in decline. It's a natural thing with all of the touring and smoking through the years. To say those things don't impact his voice is just ridiculous. Whether you prefer his voice now, or from years past is a matter of opinion, but it's foolish to say that the wear and tear hasn't done a number on him.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Ed always has his ups and downs.......but if you look at 2010 as a whole.....definitely an UP year...
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    why do you think Stone is always smiling?
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    phungi wrote:
    why do you think Stone is always smiling?
    He's a sneaky little guy. Why's Stone always smiling? Because he knows it was his fault.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I think Ed's voice used to sound "fuller" but has more character now. I wish he would take better care of himself though and not because of how it impacts his singing. I love the guy!
  • Options
    DSTURNERJRDSTURNERJR Posts: 99
    While his voice still sounds great after 20 plus years of belting, the smoking definitely affects his wind and ability to consistently hit the high notes from early PJ songs. It's a free country and he can do what he wants, but to say his voice is what it was would be naive. Plus, I'd like to see him still singing in another 15 years, not dead from lung cancer...but that's just me. If he quit smoking, you would see a drastic improvement within a couple years..the lungs actually do a remarkable job of healing themselves.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Tea and honey does the trick every time.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 89,009
    He's been drinking down lots & lots of honey. Probably in his wine too when he's up on stage!
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    My wife and I were talking about this the other day while listening to the Columbus 2010 boot. Ed is in terrific shape with all the surfing and exercising he does, which is why he has the pipes he has. Sure, smoking takes its toll, but fact is he can still sing with the best of 'em.

If he chooses to smoke, then who am I to complain? Thanks for 9 great studio albums, countless boots, numerous covers & compilations, and nine of the best live performances I've ever witnessed. I hope it all continues for years to come...and if it doesn't, thanks for the memories. The past 20 years of my life have seen higher highs and the lows haven't been too low, because this great band has helped me through it all.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I think Ed's voice still sounds amazing!!! He is still the best singer in rock n roll!

Yes, I wish he would quit smoking but it is really none of my business.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I think Ed's voice still sounds amazing!!! He is still the best singer in rock n roll!

:thumbup:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    DSTURNERJRDSTURNERJR Posts: 99

:thumbup:

I agree on both counts...just hate seeing someone so talented poisoning himself. But, like I said, it's a free country. There's no doubt that he's the best frontman of his generation, and it's not even close.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Some would say, he has killed his voice.

i would be one of them

he doesn't sound anywhere near as good as he once did.
  • Options
    So much of Eddie's performance is his presence, his emotion, personality, ability to really reach out and engage an audience, this as PJ front man or solo shows. I think this aspect of him has improved with life experience over the years and his performances now are far superior to his youth. So for me his voice is better. As far as Eddie smoking some people just do not quit. Some do not want to quit. I am grateful be a fan and have enjoyed what he has given me and appreciate whatever is to come.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Black73 wrote:
    My wife and I were talking about this the other day while listening to the Columbus 2010 boot. Ed is in terrific shape with all the surfing and exercising he does, which is why he has the pipes he has. Sure, smoking takes its toll, but fact is he can still sing with the best of 'em.

Exercise and smoking are a bad combination. Smoking decreases your body's ability to uptake oxygen, while exercise requires your body to increase its uptake of oxygen. This ends up putting more strain on the lungs, heart, blood vessels and blood pressure.

There's no doubt that he has a harder time reaching the higher notes with the same power he did when he was younger. He still has an excellent middle range, and fortunately his raw vocal tone when he's belting out stuff like Love Reign O'er Me, suits those songs well. But I think there's a reason why the band always play a song like Release at the start of the evening - those big soaring notes require a decent amount of vocal control, and his heavy smoking will have reduced his lung capacity over the years making those songs harder to sing.

I think Ed's lucky in that he has never had a huge vocal range, when compared with people like Chris Cornell, and therefore he can still replicate most of the band's earlier songs with accuracy. Chris Cornell during his Audioslave days is a great example of how bad smoking can be for your voice, his range suffered dramatically. He's also a great example of how much the voice can recover if you give up - compare the 2003 version of Hunger Strike he sang with PJ to the version from last year, the difference is amazing.
  • Options
    thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Black73 wrote:

Exercise and smoking are a bad combination. Smoking decreases your body's ability to uptake oxygen, while exercise requires your body to increase its uptake of oxygen. This ends up putting more strain on the lungs, heart, blood vessels and blood pressure.

There's no doubt that he has a harder time reaching the higher notes with the same power he did when he was younger. He still has an excellent middle range, and fortunately his raw vocal tone when he's belting out stuff like Love Reign O'er Me, suits those songs well. But I think there's a reason why the band always play a song like Release at the start of the evening - those big soaring notes require a decent amount of vocal control, and his heavy smoking will have reduced his lung capacity over the years making those songs harder to sing.

I think Ed's lucky in that he has never had a huge vocal range, when compared with people like Chris Cornell, and therefore he can still replicate most of the band's earlier songs with accuracy. Chris Cornell during his Audioslave days is a great example of how bad smoking can be for your voice, his range suffered dramatically. He's also a great example of how much the voice can recover if you give up - compare the 2003 version of Hunger Strike he sang with PJ to the version from last year, the difference is amazing.

I was at the Soundgarden show in April, and yes, Cornell definitely can hit those high notes. Check out the Beyond the Wheel video that is up on YouTube. Of course, he sounds much different overall than he did in 1990, but he can still sing.

As far as Eddie goes, the one thing I've always noticed when listening to boots and comparing them to studio albums is how much Ed's voice has changed. I am not saying it's gotten worse, but it definitely doesn't have quite the presence that it had in the Ten album. People sound different as they age in general, but I am sure 20 years of non-stop touring and smoking and drinking has taken a toll on Ed. The fact that he can still sing the way that he does is nothing short of amazing. I can't sing that way, and I don't smoke or constantly strain my vocal chords for hours.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Things that are considered 'bad' are not bad for everyone. Look at George Burns, he drank and smoked for years and died when he was 100. Weight could also be a factor as well, the guys are not the skinny hyped up kids that they were in the 90s, when was the last time you saw Ed crawling up the scaffolding? I smoke every now and then, and last time I was tested for lung capacity, I have the lungs of someone half my age. I figure, when I'm outside the venue smoking and some guy comes up to ask me for a light, it's gonna be Ed. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469
    Joerock wrote:

Because Stone does the Mr. Miyagi healing technique on Ed's throat after every show.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Beach Bum wrote:
    Joerock wrote:

Because Stone does the Mr. Miyagi healing technique on Ed's throat after every show.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8Jp7aCMtg&feature=fvsr
    Chris Cornell-..... nothing like Ed's baritone. Personal preference I'm sure but Cornell's voice is screechy and has no where near the depth or presence Ed's does, back then or presently.
    Funny when I first heard Hunger Strike I knew immediately it was Ed without knowing anything about Temple of the Dog, it was after Ten so Ed's voice was ingrained in me. And I thought who's that screamy guy singing with him? he is absolutely ruining the song. I guess I've never been a fan. Not then not now.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,572
    Easties wrote:
    Niko80 wrote:

Interesting.

Im not knocking Eddie for smoking. He can do whatever he wants, just like you and me. But eddie's job today is to sing and perform his work. Rock'n'roll is a way of life for sure, but so is any other job on this planet. All I am saying in my last thread is that I think it is sad Eddie is smoking because it affects something I love, which his voice. Eddie is king I agree, therefore I want the man to keep the strength in his voice for as long as possible :)
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,334
    Geritol every day
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.