Beware of Fake Guitar on Ebay

JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
edited June 2010 in The Porch
This guy is selling the same Ed signed guitar for the 3rd time. If you look in Ebay's completed auction's history, he has already sold it twice (and I know he sold another one off of Ebay for a total of 4). He is using the picture of himself with Eddie as proof that the guitar is real, keeping the original for himself, and selling forged guitars. I'm not here to say if people are right or wrong for paying money to buy rock memorabilia, whether or not they met the artist or not, or anything else. To each their own. I'm just saying, do not buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-JAM-EDDIE-VED ... 4cefc17629
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    Thanks for the heads up. Not like I'd buy it anyway, but very good to know. Do you know if anybody has reported him?
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Sidnum wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up. Not like I'd buy it anyway, but very good to know. Do you know if anybody has reported him?

I have no idea.

Ok, so he actual does state that it's a replica. But it's totally sneaky. And he has a (-1) beside his name, which never happens. The whole thing is just so shady. What a joke
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    reason #541,214 as to why you don't buy autographs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I agree it is shady... but he does tell everyone in the description that its not really Ed's. It is really weird though... If I was Ed I would hate weirdos like this guy... Replicate his guitar and then have him sign it so he can sell it on ebay... what a doushe. That further shows how rad Ed is that he wrote "NOT THE REAL ONE" on the freaking guitar. I bet that was an akward meeting with Ed.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,113
    i dont see a pic of the signature on the guitar. who in their right mind would buy this without even getting to compare the sig? am i missing something?
    Sidnum wrote:
    Ok, so he actual does state that it's a replica. But it's totally sneaky. And he has a (-1) beside his name, which never happens. The whole thing is just so shady. What a joke

I'm not saying the guitar is fake, he explains it's not the real one and that he made it look like Ed's with the decals and all. It's that he must have made several guitars, forged the signature obviously, and keeps selling them, using the picture as proof that it's real. He can even send you the photo with the guitar too as proof, it doesn't matter if he keeps coming up with new ones to sell.

• arqarq Posts: 8,003
    I saw that auction sometime ago, I liked the guitar a lot and i thought it was the real one... but i love Ed's comment under his signature "not the real one" :lol: If it was real I would love to buy it but i don't have the cash for it and he doesn't have my trust :think:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    edited June 2010
    TipJammer wrote:
    ... but he does tell everyone in the description that its not really Ed's.

The point is... look in Ebay's completed auction history under "Eddie Vedder guitar." He has actually SOLD this ONE-OF-A-KIND SIGNED guitar twice. Now he's listing it for sale again (for a third time, and I know he sold another one off of Ebay to make 4). Granted, the first person wrote negative feedback and got their money back, but what about the 2nd person who used "but it now" for $900? He's waiting to get it in the mail, meanwhile the seller throws another one up on Ebay.
    Post edited by JasonE on

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i dont see a pic of the signature on the guitar. who in their right mind would buy this without even getting to compare the sig? am i missing something?

it in the first picture. it's on the lower left side
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • arqarq Posts: 8,003
    81 wrote:

it in the first picture. it's on the lower left side

I believe he's talking about a detailed picture of the signature, i think is missing too, just another point against this kind of douche :roll:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    Basically this whole topic falls under "buyer beware." I've been active on ebay for over 10 years. People have watch out for shit like this. Read every detail, pay attention, use common sense, etc. This guy selling this guitar is a total tool and is looking for somebody to not read his description and just buy it on impulse. It's totally low and he has no class whatsoever.
    Sidnum wrote:
    This guy.... is looking for somebody to not read his description and just buy it on impulse. It's totally low and he has no class whatsoever.

No, he's hoping you will buy it and never check Ebay again to see that after you bought it, he listed it again, so he's keeping the real one for himself and selling numerous fakes.

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    He also can't spell for shit!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    JasonE wrote:
    Sidnum wrote:
    This guy.... is looking for somebody to not read his description and just buy it on impulse. It's totally low and he has no class whatsoever.

No, he's hoping you will buy it and never check Ebay again to see that after you bought it, he listed it again, so he's keeping the real one for himself and selling numerous fakes.

Dude, I'm on your side. I'm not starting an argument. My point is just as valid as yours. The guy is a piece of shit either way you look at it because he's being shady.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I met Jeff Garlin at a book signing. When he asked who to make the signature out to, I said "Ebay bidder"...he got a good chuckle out of it!
  • timctimc Posts: 664
    Seems like all the assholes get to meet the band :twisted: Only if they knew when they signed stuff for them!
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    The ebayer's story is hilarious. We're supposed to believe the "funny story" that Ed thought this random person had gotten his personal guitar and was then asking Ed to sign it? Brother. :lol: :roll:
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • JasonE wrote:
    This guy is selling the same Ed signed guitar for the 3rd time. If you look in Ebay's completed auction's history, he has already sold it twice (and I know he sold another one off of Ebay for a total of 4). He is using the picture of himself with Eddie as proof that the guitar is real, keeping the original for himself, and selling forged guitars. I'm not here to say if people are right or wrong for paying money to buy rock memorabilia, whether or not they met the artist or not, or anything else. To each their own. I'm just saying, do not buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEARL-JAM-EDDIE-VED ... 4cefc17629

Yep, that's the guy I want to kick in the head. :D I've actually posted a couple of things already on him here. To me, even worse than him completely ripping people off, doesn't it just piss you off that he had freakin backstage passes? :x Anyway, thanks for bringing more attention to it, people seriously need to beware of purchasing "autographs" on Ebay, on the off chance you get an authentic one, you've essentially supported some greedy person who took an advantage of someone else's generosity and kindness.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    i love how Saturday is "Saterday" and central time is spelled "CENTERAL"

what an idiot.

How come these people get to meet the band, but me, whos been to 23 shows, never even got to sit front row?! Just a sad world we live in.
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6

35 Shows; 1040 Songs
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    81 wrote:
    reason #541,214 as to why you don't buy autographs.
    +1
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
    smanchac wrote:
    i love how Saturday is "Saterday" and central time is spelled "CENTERAL"

what an idiot.

I didn't know easy was spelled "eazy." I guess Eazy-E was right all along. It's amazing how he spends half of his description talking about authenticity issues. His headline says "is this enough proof?" He goes on and on how you have to watch out for fakes and says "THE PICTURE OF VEDDER AND THE GUITAR IS THE PROOF, THE WHOLE PROOF AND NOTHING BUT THE PROOF.
    PERIOD..........................
    DON'T ASK FOR MORE PROOF! YOU SEE IT!!! THERES MORE PROOF HERE THAN ANY AUTOGRAPH AUCTION ON THIS WEB SITE." Talk about the old bait and switch.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    If somebody was wantin an Ed guitar and the starting price came down a little, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world, assuming it's really a Fender and not a Squier.
  • MK30925MK30925 Posts: 42
    There is a myspace link in the description that has a slideshow saying Ed gave him the guitar. He contradicts his own listing by giving his myspace as proof. Grade A Jack-hole
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i was hoping that was the guitar i'd get for the painting contest...

the fake version... pretty dumb :|

could only imagine how that meeting with ed went......
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    MK30925 wrote:
    There is a myspace link in the description that has a slideshow saying Ed gave him the guitar. He contradicts his own listing by giving his myspace as proof. Grade A Jack-hole

I noticed that too, on his myspace page he wants people to think Eddie gave him his guitar after the show and signed it. It's not very obvious, but the Mark Richards decals are slightly different on the two.

• oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    What did the other two, "one of a kind" guitars sell for?

Just curious.
  • This guy is a major jerk off. Did you notice the racist comment he made on one of his Facebook entries? The guitar is a cheap, low level Tele that you can get for $250.00 at any Fender dealer. It also has a maple fretboard. Eddie's is a rosewood fretboard so how could Eddie possibly think that was his guitar?
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 528
    people like this douche bag piss me off. people like him are the reason that people who are asked for autographs are often hesitant to do so.

i doubt anyone ever confused his sad, mexican-made telecaster for eddie's telecaster.

in the auction description, the guy said he's make you a COA to go with it if you wanted. we should all write and ask if he'll use the same pen that he forged all of the signatures with to make our COAs!
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    lol...good for him.

I have a plastic bag for sale that Eddie threw away after eating a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. $35.00 shipped...PM me.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.