STate College Penn 2003

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited June 2010 in The Porch
I'm rapt, I just managed to score this boot in great condition for $20 (aussie). :)

Anyone who was there got any comments on the show while I wait for it to arrive - the set list was awesome.

"39-track, 3-CD set documenting Pearl Jam's marathon May 3rd 2003 gig in Pennsylvania. Regarded as one of the very best in the series of "official bootlegs".

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Release
2. Save You
3. Animal
4. Corduroy
5. Cropduster
6. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
7. Even Flow
8. Grievance
9. I Am Mine
10. Improv
11. Rearviewmirror
12. Nothingman
13. Daughter
Disc: 2
1. Lukin
2. Whipping
3. MFC
4. Jeremy
5. Improv
6. Blood
7. Encore Break
8. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
9. Gimme Some Truth
10. Breath
11. Do the Evolution
12. Black
13. Alive
14. Encore Break
15. Last Exit
16. Mankind
Disc: 3
1. Down
2. Betterman
3. Satan's Bed
4. Leaving Here
5. Encore Break
6. Crazy Mary
7. Porch
8. Fortunate Son
9. Rockin' in the Free World
10. Yellow Ledbetter
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wasn't there but is surely one of my favorite bootlegs. I think it has my favorite version of Crazy Mary and one of my favorite versions of Porch.
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    i found that bootleg a few months back in JB hifi...was really surprised think it was about $15 so i snatched it up :D.....Satans Bed from this show is quite famous ;)
  • Buffalo the night before is the best show of 2003.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • I was at the show...actually I was at both Buffalo and State College. I agree that intensity and crowd wise Buffalo was WAAY better....BUT State College was an AWESOME show!!
    Great version of Release to start....killer setlist that just wouldn't let up. You are gonna LOVE that boot!!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    hahaha - PJ Radio is presently playing Rearviewmirror from this boot..... Maybe The Rob is watching this forum :lol:
  • PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 869
    This show might just be in the top 5 I have ever attended. I remember EV saying after opening his second bottle of wine that they weren't gonna stop playing until it was finished and at the very end of the show he held it up to the crowd, turned it upside down with nothing spilling out, and walked off waving....I thought that was some cool shit right there 8-)
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • PJfiendPJfiend Posts: 13
    i wasn't there, but it's one of the boots that reminds me why i love this band so. :D ed had some great things to say between songs, if i remember correctly.
    1998 - Los Angeles
    2000 - San Bernardino
    2001 - Bridge School Benefit (nights 1 & 2)
    2003 - Mountain View, Irvine (nights 1 & 2), San Diego & Las Vegas
    2005 - George
    2006 - Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles (nights 1 & 2), George (night 1) & Honolulu
    2009 - Los Angeles (nights 1 thru 4)
  • PJRock75 wrote:
    This show might just be in the top 5 I have ever attended. I remember EV saying after opening his second bottle of wine that they weren't gonna stop playing until it was finished and at the very end of the show he held it up to the crowd, turned it upside down with nothing spilling out, and walked off waving....I thought that was some cool shit right there 8-)

i was on the side of the stage on the second level. he poured a good amount of the bottle out behind a speaker. he cheated.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    PJRock75 wrote:

i was on the side of the stage on the second level. he poured a good amount of the bottle out behind a speaker. he cheated.

Spoil sport.

Regarding the show, though... I was there... took my then-girlfriend-now-wife. It was her first ever PJ show and I guess it's no surprise she's been to 18 since. It was an amazing night... just the experience was incredible...

And just a little tidbit... I can't confirm this obviously, but I'm personally pretty convinced you can hear her scream on the boot... during the opening riffs of I Am Mine in the left channel. I remember mocking her lovingly for doing it at the show, and the first time I heard that short scream on the boot, I just laughed.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    "You fucking rock Vedder" before Elderly Woman - love that. was at this show as well. great show, almost every song you could want.
  • Of course you mean State College (Penn STATE) 2003, right? As a Penn Stater I am obligated to correct you here... carry on.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,114
    Of course you mean State College (Penn STATE) 2003, right? As a Penn Stater I am obligated to correct you here... carry on.

As a fellow Nittany Lion Alum, as long as he didn't say "STATE PENN", I am happy
  • I've listened to the boot many a time and still don't know what Eddie is saying "that's disgusting" about before Down. It sounds like the crowds chanting "Eddie's Brave' or something.
    I've listened to the boot many a time and still don't know what Eddie is saying "that's disgusting" about before Down. It sounds like the crowds chanting "Eddie's Brave' or something.

Dirty Frank, eh?
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    I've listened to the boot many a time and still don't know what Eddie is saying "that's disgusting" about before Down. It sounds like the crowds chanting "Eddie's Brave' or something.

Dirty Frank, eh?

correct, a couple of guys were asking for "Dirty FranK" and that was Ed's response..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • givenfliersgivenfliers Posts: 144
    they are chantin dirty spread referin to a girl wasted bout 3rd row
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    awesome boot....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I was there. Been to 36 shows total. It still ranks up there as the best live Pearl Jam experience for me.

I was at the four Spectrum shows recently. And although the 4th night was longer than State College, it felt forced. Like they HAD to play for a long time. At State College it was much more spontaneous and unexpected which made it so cool.

The boot sounds sloppy, but man, the vibe that was in that room that is the Bryce Jordan Center was just unreal. Been to five shows at MSG and it just doesn't compare to what was going on in State College that night. Again, just my opinion.
    I was there. Been to 36 shows total. It still ranks up there as the best live Pearl Jam experience for me.

I was at the four Spectrum shows recently. And although the 4th night was longer than State College, it felt forced. Like they HAD to play for a long time. At State College it was much more spontaneous and unexpected which made it so cool.

The boot sounds sloppy, but man, the vibe that was in that room that is the Bryce Jordan Center was just unreal. Been to five shows at MSG and it just doesn't compare to what was going on in State College that night. Again, just my opinion.

Agreed... especially the 2nd paragraph.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    edited June 2010
    I was there...if ever a show could be deemed epic of that era of PJ...this was it. It was a marathon of a show. Almost a religious experience for me...seriously. Right around the time of the Bushleaguer stuff...college town...just seemed like PJ fed off the energy in the building as much as we fed off their energy. Almost felt like the place would explode. Always on my Ipod and I listen to the boot often. You'll love it
    Post edited by MB50486 on
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Just unreal that Buffalo and State College took place on consecutive nights.
  • EM65340EM65340 Posts: 5
    "I knew we were coming to State College, the tour list said State College, State College, State College.....but it wasn't until we were pulling up......PENN STATE????.....Cool!"

Been to 19 shows now and this conquers all of them. The bands energy and just pure joy of everything around them that night was second to none. The boot is killer for sure but you just cannot capture what had happened in that building that night from just the boot (a DVD would help though ;) )I had plans to go out and hit the College Ave bars afterwords but was dead. The show had destroyed any energy I had left that day and that my friends was a GREAT thing.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,114
    i loved how EV looked to the crowd for help with Satan's Bed. I remember shouting the lyrics and Jeff was pointing my way trying to tell EV to look our way for help. Between the Spectrum show and then PSU 5 days later, 2003 was amazing
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    edited June 2010
    State College, PA was a great boot. Satan's bad is indeed butchered. Comical
    Post edited by RedMosquito22 on
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • wasn't there but is surely one of my favorite bootlegs. I think it has my favorite version of Crazy Mary and one of my favorite versions of Porch.
    this show does indeed have the best version of Crazy Mary I have ever heard AND the worst version of Satan's Bed. :lol:
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...
  • EM65340EM65340 Posts: 5
    That's one of the things that isn't captured on the boot i don't think, the reason they "had to" play Satan's Bed. Because someone threw a shirt up at Eddie and he said if it had a song on it they would play it. They were interacting with the crowd like this all night. Then of course he reads it with the joke "please F!@k me Eddie, i said i wasn't going to do that" but of course it had Satan's Bed on it. Well you could tell right away the band convened and were like, shite we don't know how to play this song but we have to try. And to me the butchering of the song was even better than if they had nailed it. True to form they were just being loyal entertainers to their loyal fans.
    State College, PA was a great boot. Satan's bad is indeed butchered. Comical

Model roll model oh nu dum it aww fuck!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Great boot, this boot is really what got me into listening to live shows more than the actual albums, exactly why Pearl Jam is the greatest band in the world is because of their live cuts, and this boot demonstrates perfectly (except for Satan's bed of course :lol: )
    For every tool they lend us, a loss of independence
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    Damn. Not as many pretentious, snobby, fan-boy wise-cracks in this thread in regards to this show as I expected there to be. Oh, well, there's still time. Looking for "This show is so overrated", "It's got nothing on Boston 3", "Just because they played for a while doesn't make it good", so on and so forth.... :roll:

And, by the way - this show fucking kicked ass.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    What a show!!

I'll never forget it.

We rented a van and a bunch of us took a road trip to the show. Met some people and stayed on campus.

There was a strange vibe in the air that night. I had a feeling going in that this would be a very different show.

The political climate of the day obviously loomed large in presence and there was an uneasy tension in the air before the band took the stage. Yet...at the same time you could feel that the crowd just wanted to come in to this venue and rock out.

I'd heard about Buffalo and Denver being pretty hostile towards Ed's politics, and State College appeared on the surface to have the same kind of feeling.

Ed being Ed...didn't shy away from the politics at all. He made his points and did his thing...and yeah...some people booed...and were pissed off...but it was quickly drowned out and beaten down by the power and energy coming from the stage.

It was a force of it's own. It sort of felt like husband and wife having a heated discussion or argument...yet knowing confindetally that despite this little disscussion...that everything was going to be alright.

Eddie talked alot about how amazing it was for all of us to be in the room together and agree on this 1 thing...MUSIC. And that if we could do that...we could do anything. I really think he drove that point home and it really resonated with the crowd.

The night became a celebration.

It's hard to really put the night into perspective...even after all these years.

I know it's a bit of a cliché to say this...but I'm going to anyways...

You just had to be there.