Options

It's been almost a year since Backspacer...

13»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,903
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    It's been almost a year since Backspacer came out.

Do you use the Julian Calendar? "Backspacer" came out on September 20, 2009. It hasn't even been 9 months since it came out, let alone a year.

Someone made a similar post a while back stating that the album had been out for 6 months when it had been out for about 3-and-a-half months. Why's everyone in such a rush?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    zootown wrote:

You have a station locally which plays "Amongst the Waves"? Consider yourself lucky. Around here, they don't even play "The Fixer" anymore. We do have a station that plays all the Ten singles, plus the Vs. singles, and Betterman and Corduroy. That's about it.

Someone's playing it. It debuted at No. 50 on Billboard's Rock Songs chart last week.
  • Options
    RW8297 wrote:
    RW8297 wrote:
    [ Look at Riot Act. The are tones of excellent tunes.

Probably a different thread...but maybe you could pm me with the location of those excellent tunes on Riot Act....I've been searching for years.

bu$hleaguer, you are, save you, help help, all or none,.. Enough?
    Gotta quit this stupid conversation. Everybody has its own opinion,..

Just goes to show-- I agree with the initial statement about "Riot Act," but I wouldn't have named any of these tracks as the exemplars. For me, it's "Ghost," "Can't Keep," "Cropduster," "Love Boat Captain," "Thumbing My Way" and "1/2 Full."
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,070
    I think it is cool that everyone's opinion is so different. Now if we all agreed that a certain album or song was the worst, it would probably mean it was true. But since there are such polar opposite opinions about all of Pearl Jam's music, it leaves the door open and maybe none of it can be considered bad. Every song and album is loved.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ...speed of sound...some of the best songs the band has written

I was with you till this. Man, that song is just plain cheesy.

see, this is just one of those experimental songs that people are either going to love or hate with no in-between. i think speed of sound is great and live it is absolutely incredible. in hartford this tour it was definitely one of the show highlights.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    I love Backspacer. I think its a great listen. I am pretty tired of Just Breathe though.... I think it will be cool when its relegated to "rarity" status.

The highlights for me are Got Some, Johnny Guitar, and Force of Nature, and Supersonic. The End is really badass too. Im not a huge Amongst the Waves guy.
  • Options
    Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    Backspacer's songs hold up just fine when played live.

It's funny (to me) how people are so quick to judge an album as terrible less than a year in. One of the best things about PJ (to me, again) is the fact that you can pick up an album 5 years later and re-discover it.

It took me 6-7 years to really "get" No Code, and even longer on Binaural.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    DewieCox wrote:
    BS is underdone and overdone at the same time. That's why I think it's weak.

This is a perfect statement in my eyes.
    I do like a lot of backspacer, but DewieCox nailed it here.
    Too much piano on some tunes. Notice the Fixer live -- That cheesy piano transition is played by a guitar live. it sounds a lot better live. And I love Unthought KJnown, but that piano 'almost' kills it for me. almost.

I always loved Got Some and Just Breath...
    I did, however let Johnny Guitar and Gonna See my friends grow on me and love them now too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    My opinion of "Backspacer" hasn't changed. All killer, no filler. The CD still hasn't left my car since September 20.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,370
    i still really like backspacer all the way through. regarding speed of sound the demo version is much better in my opinion, i still like the album version but prefer the demo by far.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Well I think having heard everything but Speed of Sound live that there are at least four songs that can remain live staples. You can't really say that for the last three albums. They barely even play Riot Act or Binaural live. Backspacer has been a great album for me. I still listen to it pretty regularly. It is finally starting to wear on me. I would imagine The Fixer, Got Some, Unthought Known, and Just Breathe will all carry forward into the next tour. It was a good seller for an independent release, and a very good second tour leg. I still think the songs are better on the album then they are live, but they are great to hear live nonetheless--even the Fixer.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    EPOTTSIIIEPOTTSIII Posts: 190
    topaz wrote:
    p.s. dude I'm still so grateful you sent me that LP all the way to NZ! PJ make bloody good fans too it seems. I had zero chance of finding it here.

No prob Top.!
    Glad you remembered me. You get a chance or gonna get a chance to see them soon?
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    topaztopaz Posts: 301
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    No prob Top.!
    Glad you remembered me. You get a chance or gonna get a chance to see them soon?

Seriousy man I'd never forget someone who sends me Pearl Jam vinyl from half way round the world!! And you didn't even try to rip me off. And YES, after 11.5 years Pearl Jam came home, whoops I mean to my home, they played here 27 and 29 Nov last year and I rocked out at both concerts, pure bliss, we have GA down here but still 10c tickets so was up front Mikes side.... can you tell I'm STILL suffering the withdrawals?! It's been 6 months. When do they go away??

Hope you have caught them on their US tour? You bloody better have! And I made sure I didn't make the same mistake twice, snapped up Backspacer on vinyl as soon as it came out, altho it's not getting much rotation on the turntable these days...

Cool to see ya on here after all this time, Mr Potts :)
  • Options
    topaz wrote:
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    No prob Top.!

Seriousy man I'd never forget someone who sends me Pearl Jam vinyl from half way round the world!! And you didn't even try to rip me off. And YES, after 11.5 years Pearl Jam came home, whoops I mean to my home, they played here 27 and 29 Nov last year and I rocked out at both concerts, pure bliss, we have GA down here but still 10c tickets so was up front Mikes side.... can you tell I'm STILL suffering the withdrawals?! It's been 6 months. When do they go away??

Hope you have caught them on their US tour? You bloody better have! And I made sure I didn't make the same mistake twice, snapped up Backspacer on vinyl as soon as it came out, altho it's not getting much rotation on the turntable these days...

Cool to see ya on here after all this time, Mr Potts :)

Cool!
    Yea I went to all 4 philly shows last year to close out the Spectrum and I went to Newark and MSG II this past month.
    You lookin for any other Vinyls??
    Might be able to help.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    Mitch8415 wrote:
    Backspacer's songs hold up just fine when played live.

It's funny (to me) how people are so quick to judge an album as terrible less than a year in. One of the best things about PJ (to me, again) is the fact that you can pick up an album 5 years later and re-discover it.

It took me 6-7 years to really "get" No Code, and even longer on Binaural.
    this aint that kind of album
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    ...speed of sound...some of the best songs the band has written

I was with you till this. Man, that song is just plain cheesy.

see, this is just one of those experimental songs that people are either going to love or hate with no in-between. i think speed of sound is great and live it is absolutely incredible. in hartford this tour it was definitely one of the show highlights.

Did you really have to piss? Only way this song is a highlight. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,409
    I really didn't care for Backspacer at first, but it definately grew on me. Especially after hearing the songs played live at the few shows I was lucky enough to attend last year.

Now I quite like it.. might be my favorite album since yield.

not the biggest fan of amongst the waves or speed of sound. I really like the rest of the album though, and those two songs aren't so bad they make me hit skip or anything. I really like Gonna see my friend, jonny guitar, just breathe, the end, unknown thought. awesome songs.
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    It's been almost a year since Backspacer came out. I still listen to it in my car all the way through most of the days in the week on my long commute to work. Being a fan since the begining, I have to say this is one of my favorite of their cds. I'm 33 and have been hooked since I was a sophmore in high school. this cd just shows how much they have grown as aband in the years and also how much ed has grown. The lyrics in Amognst the Waves, Unthought Known and Speed of Sound are just dead on to the feelings he is throwing out to you. After seeing the last 2 shows I went to, mann they really have nailed playing that whole album live. Amazing band! So glad to have this addiction that we all share on here. Anyone wanna add to this?

You look like the dude from Forgetting Sarah Marshall
  • Options
    go4knockgo4knock Posts: 3
    How can anyone compare studio music to live music???? All of the negative feedback in this thread about Backspacer is just plain ridiculous. I understand that opinions are what they are, but how can anyone in their right mind having been at any of the '10 shows say that the material is bad. After I heard Unknown thoughts, the fixer, Just Breathe, Amongst the waves, etc.....it just blew my mind that they only get better. I hope they never stop rocking.
  • Options
    Beach Bum wrote:
    EPOTTSIII wrote:
    It's been almost a year since Backspacer came out. I still listen to it in my car all the way through most of the days in the week on my long commute to work. Being a fan since the begining, I have to say this is one of my favorite of their cds. I'm 33 and have been hooked since I was a sophmore in high school. this cd just shows how much they have grown as aband in the years and also how much ed has grown. The lyrics in Amognst the Waves, Unthought Known and Speed of Sound are just dead on to the feelings he is throwing out to you. After seeing the last 2 shows I went to, mann they really have nailed playing that whole album live. Amazing band! So glad to have this addiction that we all share on here. Anyone wanna add to this?

You look like the dude from Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Well I lost 30 lbs since that pic. was takin and have abs now. I think it was the weight that might make me resemble him. Thats a new one though. Made me laugh!
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    The first thing I told a younger friend of mine who loves backspacer was how well they are playing these new songs live. It seems to me that they put a lot of pride into these tracks. How much they have advanced the performance level since the '09 Spectrum Shows is a great acomplishment. After MSG II I had to have listened to this cd almost every morning.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly