Options

It's been almost a year since Backspacer...

Comments

• Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,604
    RW8297 wrote:
    [ Look at Riot Act. The are tones of excellent tunes.

Probably a different thread...but maybe you could pm me with the location of those excellent tunes on Riot Act....I've been searching for years.

bu$hleaguer, you are, save you, help help, all or none,.. Enough?
    Gotta quit this stupid conversation. Everybody has its own opinion,..
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Great album...easily their best since Yield.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I always thought Backspacer was awful. Just awful, by far the worst Pearl Jam album. Then I heard the songs played live and now I really like 3 or 4 of them. Overall, the album is still really weak, but I appreciate it a little more now.

People on the board here rip Avocado and Riot Act but put against Backspacer I think they are both far superior.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Riot Act and Binaural are class acts - love them too. For me there is no 'best album since...' they're all great in their own way and I listen to them equally - I just listen to some more equally than others at times. 8-)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    RW8297 wrote:
    RW8297 wrote:
    [ Look at Riot Act. The are tones of excellent tunes.

Probably a different thread...but maybe you could pm me with the location of those excellent tunes on Riot Act....I've been searching for years.

bu$hleaguer, you are, save you, help help, all or none,.. Enough?
    Gotta quit this stupid conversation. Everybody has its own opinion,..

Missed my sarcasm. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,981
    Backspacer feels like an EP to me! Not so much a complete Pearl Jam record as a whole.
  • Options
    Times change, bands change, and people change. I don't want every record to be their first. If it were, they'd be Puddle of Mudd.

Backspacer is great, and as a side note, Binaural is an atmospheric masterpiece.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Man that was a short year. I swear it felt like 9 months.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    demetrios wrote:
    Backspacer feels like an EP to me! Not so much a complete Pearl Jam record as a whole.

Yes, I fell this too, we've been spoilt with long PJ records. At 37 mintues it seems to end as you expect it to kick on. But there are plenty of other records that are shorter, just no PJ records.
  • Options
    Wow, I can't believe it's been a year. Our local record store had it a few days early and they were playing it on the sidewalk speakers, I remember just hanging out there on the sidewalk to listen and the anticipation of being able to buy it in a few days.

I've been playing Supersonic a lot lately in the car :)
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,471
    I think BS is great! The best part about the band is that they change up their sounds. I know we are bias but how many of the few legends have done such a good job mixing it up? I love the lyrics, Ed's voice etc. I also love the fact that there is no filler. Just straight to the point and done.

BTW - Have you loaded up all the studio songs on an ipod and then hit shuffle and spent the day listening to the whole catalog in random order? That freaked me out a bit. It was great. Go do it.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    To me Backspacer is an optimistic, upbeat album. I love it. It's hard to even listen to Riot Act or Binaural anymore because they are so dark and pessimistic. I'll save them for a dark, shitty day.

At this point in my life, I think Backspacer is one of their best. Ten is a classic, but I don't connect with it on a personal level anymore.

I think Backspacer, Yield and No Code speak the most to me now.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,981
    demetrios wrote:

Yes, I fell this too, we've been spoilt with long PJ records. At 37 mintues it seems to end as you expect it to kick on. But there are plenty of other records that are shorter, just no PJ records.

Exactly! Also to add a few of those tracks were played by Ed on his solo "Into The Wild' tour many month's ago. Many thought those were b-sides to that film. Hearing them professional done on the studio record was great & all but the band as a whole contributing to this record was not mindblowing like their previous records.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    you cant compare one album to another ..the bands changed over the years..so have we..

it would seem that some of us have not changed over the years,... :roll:

You are 100% right, trying to compare one album to another from this band can't be done.

I for one love me some Backspacer. I think it's a brilliant record, and it makes me feel good.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I must really suck ass then - Supersonic is probably my favourite song on the record and I got to see it at Newark - it fucken rocks!!!
    I agree. I must suck ass too, because Backspacer is holding my interest longer than any other Pearl Jam album I can remember. I really think its awesome. It's light, simple, cohesive, and awesome. I think it feels more complete of an album than Avocado, Riot Act or Binuaral. I love Binaural, but it feels like three different albums mixed into one, more like a compalation.
  • Options
    thrakerthraker Posts: 61
    RW8297 wrote:
    I'm sorry to tell you this but Backspacer sucks ass. It's the worst PJ album. I'ts been a year since released but still can't listen to it. If I could have a request it would be something like this: please don't play backspacer songs live, at least in Berlin.
    Folks! Compare this album to Vitalogy or Yield. These are masterpieces not mention Ten or vs. Nowadays PJ is getting worse and worse and it's very difficult for me (fan for 20 years) to say this. Fortunately they play excellent live shows and for this... big thanks.

Opinions are like assholes; Everybody's got one. Some are just shittier than others.
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    demetrios wrote:

+1. Perhaps its due to the fragmented way in which it was written---Eddie was absent for most of the "grind work" and came in later adding his songs and the lyrics/vocals. I personally would rank it behind Avocado. The thing that is kinda surprising is that the band, and particularly Stone, seemed especially proud of this record. I have always liked Eddie & Stone songs the best-sorry Jeff, Mike and Matt, but your contributions were admirable, but not quite up to snuff. The only keepers on the album for me are Johnny Guitar (best track), GSMF, Unthought Known and maybe Amongst the Waves (although it's getting overplayed on local radio and its starting to get old). I am hoping for a more aggressive, straight ahead rock album next time, and less poppy-radio friendly songs.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    zootown wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

+1. Perhaps its due to the fragmented way in which it was written---Eddie was absent for most of the "grind work" and came in later adding his songs and the lyrics/vocals. I personally would rank it behind Avocado. The thing that is kinda surprising is that the band, and particularly Stone, seemed especially proud of this record. I have always liked Eddie & Stone songs the best-sorry Jeff, Mike and Matt, but your contributions were admirable, but not quite up to snuff. The only keepers on the album for me are Johnny Guitar (best track), GSMF, Unthought Known and maybe Amongst the Waves (although it's getting overplayed on local radio and its starting to get old). I am hoping for a more aggressive, straight ahead rock album next time, and less poppy-radio friendly songs.

You have a station locally which plays "Amongst the Waves"? Consider yourself lucky. Around here, they don't even play "The Fixer" anymore. We do have a station that plays all the Ten singles, plus the Vs. singles, and Betterman and Corduroy. That's about it.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    it has nosedived for me. most of their albums i didnt like at first but then grew on me.but BS is the opposite. i kinda liked it at first, now i think its pretty terrible with a couple exceptions. i cant see what i ever liked about it. except for Just Breathe.

the little rockers in the first half (except the awful Fixer) are ok, but none of them compare to their rawer, more awesome old rockers. they are all too polished and safe sounding. I think its a case of mediocrity being worse than one really great one and the rest total shit.

the second half is just adult contemporary garbage. Amongst the Waves is the most embarassing thing they've ever done and should be ashamed of. Speed of Sound and FOrce of Nature are boring, I forget Supersonic even exists. but Unthought Known and The End are ok. not great but ok.

live all the songs are flat and tedious to get through. they just have no weight behind them at all. thankfully they are short.

nothing really rises to Pearl Jam standards except Just Breathe and maybe one other one (which im not sure about) for me. rest ranges from just ok to shit.

basically it doesnt pass my "if it were by another band, would you listen to it?" test.

GRADE: C-
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Disagree.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    After my first listen I was underwhelmed for some reason.

After two listens it sounded completely amazing to me...

After five or so listens, I couldn't stop playing it and still have to force myself to limit my listens (to avoid burnout)

After nine months, I think it's a total masterpiece. I'll step up to defend it always.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options

After five or so listens, I couldn't stop playing it and still have to force myself to limit my listens (to avoid burnout)

After nine months, I think it's a total masterpiece. I'll step up to defend it always.
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    +1. Perhaps its due to the fragmented way in which it was written---Eddie was absent for most of the "grind work" and came in later adding his songs and the lyrics/vocals. I personally would rank it behind Avocado. The thing that is kinda surprising is that the band, and particularly Stone, seemed especially proud of this record. I have always liked Eddie & Stone songs the best-sorry Jeff, Mike and Matt, but your contributions were admirable, but not quite up to snuff. The only keepers on the album for me are Johnny Guitar (best track), GSMF, Unthought Known and maybe Amongst the Waves (although it's getting overplayed on local radio and its starting to get old). I am hoping for a more aggressive, straight ahead rock album next time, and less poppy-radio friendly songs.[/quote]

You have a station locally which plays "Amongst the Waves"? Consider yourself lucky. Around here, they don't even play "The Fixer" anymore. We do have a station that plays all the Ten singles, plus the Vs. singles, and Betterman and Corduroy. That's about it.[/quote]

I live in Missoula, where JA lives, so we get a healthy dose of PJ on the radio.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    I believe that Backspacer will be remembered as a classic PJ album. It's great; I love it! Plenty of classic material on here: The Fixer, Got Some (sooooooooo underrated), Just Breathe, Unthought Known, Amongst the Waves (this song blew me away live). Johnny Guitar is really good, too. Not crazy about every single song, but those five songs alone make it a classic to me. I can't think of many current albums by anyone where I think five songs are Stone-cold classics. Backspacer will be remembered very fondly a few years from now.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I do like Backspacer but it has a slight disjointedness to it I can't put my finger on. I have never been that excited about Supersonic and I really don't like Speed Of Sound but the other songs are damn good which makes it a good album as opposed to a classic for me. 8/10 I guess. I still can't wait to hear the songs live this month and can't wait to see what they do next time! :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    I do like Backspacer but it has a slight disjointedness to it I can't put my finger on. :)
    to me its the fact that they lean so heavily on their influences on this album. They've never been one to shy away from their influences, but Backspacer is just ridiculous. pretty much every song is a direct ripoff/homage (depending on you point of view) of some other band.

to me the album just sounds like they were fooling around in the studio and not very interested in making anything important or memorable. just playing their favorite 80s band music, which isnt necessarily bad. for better or worse, they succeeded.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    MrSmith wrote:
    veddertown wrote:
    I do like Backspacer but it has a slight disjointedness to it I can't put my finger on. :)
    to me its the fact that they lean so heavily on their influences on this album. They've never been one to shy away from their influences, but Backspacer is just ridiculous. pretty much every song is a direct ripoff/homage (depending on you point of view) of some other band.

to me the album just sounds like they were fooling around in the studio and not very interested in making anything important or memorable. just playing their favorite 80s band music, which isnt necessarily bad. for better or worse, they succeeded.

Listening to Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural and Riot Act for me are very ritualistic. I achieve a frame of mind from them that lasts from start to finish and I don't like that to be interrupted while I am. I feel like I'm on a journey with them so the headphones go in. With Vs, Yield, Ten and Avocado I'll still listen straight through but I don't mind background noise or the kids around me but with Backspacer it's like having the radio on and I can switch off anytime without feeling like I'm missing something. They stole from their own musical catalogue with Avocado but I can't hear where Backspacer came from? And despite how you read any of this I still like every album. :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,198
    jwagner wrote:

I was underwhelmed with your first post.

But after your second post, you've convinced me. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jwagner wrote:

I was underwhelmed with your first post.

But after your second post, you've convinced me. ;)

Aw, the site just froze on me when hitting Submit...and I can't find a way to delete that repeated post. Sorry! (But I will repeat my love for 'Backspacer' a zillion times!)
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    S/T and Backspacer brought me back to this band. They are awesome.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite