Digital Download vs. CD

2»

Comments

• FeintFeint Posts: 31
    ski4 wrote:
    just get flac and burn to cd
    and back up redundantly as flac

Too late. But also flac seems to be part of this world of tech savvy/sound elitist world that I'm not sure I'll ever be a part of. I could be wrong about the tech savvy part. It certainly doesn't seem to be user friendly/ compatible with iTunes.

That's not FLACs fault, it's iTunes. iTunes is such a garbage media player.
    Pearl Jam - Boston 5/17/10, Worcester 10/15/13, Worcester 10/16/13, Hartford 10/25/13
    EV Solo - Boston 6/16/11, Hartford 6/18/11
    Tres Mts. Boston 3/17/11, RNDM Boston 11/7/12
  • 81 wrote:
    how long does it take for you to receive the cd ? :?:

7 months

seriously?? :shock:
    Feel the sky blanket you, with gems & rhinestones

Toronto 09' - Buffalo 10' - Toronto 11' - Hamilton 11'
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    rlaidepeas wrote:
    Shoot - wish I could cancel my order and get the FLAC now... all well. Next time.

Most people won't notice the difference, but it's one of those things that once people tell you you don't have the highest quality version, then the placebo effect can get to your mind. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is a noticible difference to me, which is why I always go FLAC when I can, but to most people, i can honestly say you couldn't tell the difference. 224kbps MP3s are pretty decent quality compared to 128kbps stuff you used to buy on Itunes.
    to add to that
    it also depends on your system. if you have some $100 all in one home theater system you listen on you will not tell so much. the more your system exceeds the limitations of the source material the more evident it will be..

the beauty of digital audio is that you can make it suite your needs. for the itunes haters, there are formats that will work on non apple stuff, for the apple fans you can convert to a format that works on that .
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

7 months

well, philly 4 was back on 10/31/2009....just getting it today.

normally, i'd guess a week or less :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ski4 wrote:
    it also depends on your system. if you have some $100 all in one home theater system you listen on you will not tell so much. the more your system exceeds the limitations of the source material the more evident it will be..

the beauty of digital audio is that you can make it suite your needs. for the itunes haters, there are formats that will work on non apple stuff, for the apple fans you can convert to a format that works on that .

completly agree on the stereo. at home in my computer room, 256 sounds ok, in my truck, 256 sounds like garbarge. with the ibuds that came with my ipod, 128 sounds good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Feint wrote:

That's not FLACs fault, it's iTunes. iTunes is such a garbage media player.

itunes as a media playing device is fine. itunes as a media selling service sucks.

the one thing i don't get tho, is the songs i've downloaded from itunes (starbucks freebies) soudn pretty good in my truck, but when i rip from cd at the itunes bit rate, it sounds less than steeler on it. weird.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    Bang for your buck, choose CD. You can make your very own .flac files from the CD. Make your very own .mp3 files from the CD. And you can make a backup of the CD > CD. Or rip the .wav files from the CD. Save the files on Data CDR or Data DVDR or on your Hard Drive etc .. Plus you are getting the artwork, custom case, stickers, the whole shebang!
  • Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 960
    81 wrote:

7 months

I ordered the St. Louis boot on Wednesday and it came in the mail today. :shock:
    2 days!.....Surprised the hell out of me.
    demetrios wrote:
    Bang for your buck, choose CD. You can make your very own .flac files from the CD. Make your very own .mp3 files from the CD. And you can make a backup of the CD > CD. Or rip the .wav files from the CD. Save the files on Data CDR or Data DVDR or on your Hard Drive etc .. Plus you are getting the artwork, custom case, stickers, the whole shebang!
    also with flac you can
    the only thing missing is the cd cover
    the album art is up on the order page.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    ski4 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    also with flac you can

Yes you can with flac but how are you gonna play that Flac in a CD car stereo, CD/DVD Player or anything that plays audio CD's? You would need to burn the .flac files with Nero or extract the .wav files from the .flac files & burn them to an Audio CD.

It's not just the CD cover that is missing. It's the physical CD's, the sticker labels on the CD's, the packaging of the sleeve case.

The album artwork is just the face of the CD. Where's the set list label? Where's the custom job & artwork? It's not there. Only will get them when buying the CD's. Kinda surprised that they haven't released the complete 2009 .pdf files like they did for the '08 tour. And even during the '05 & '06 tour's where included in the purchase download was the jpeg/pdf files where we could print out the artwork.

$14.99 for a Flac digital download. $16.98 for the CD purchase that includes the physical CD's, sticker labels on CD's, custom CD packaging with artwork is totally worth the extra $1.99.
  • CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    Always CD.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    rlaidepeas wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if there are a brand of CD-Rs that are best to use when burning? Or does it not matter?

Taiyo Yuden is the best brand. But if you're lucky, you can go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, whatever and look at all of the spindles. Most of them will say Made In Taiwan, Made In India, etc....but if you find one that says Made In Japan, then you have found rebranded Taiyo Yudens. They are the best CD-Rs and they will last a lifetime, as long as you take decent care of them.

Sound quality should be identical no matter what brand you use, but if you want to keep your shows archived for years, it's best to use Made In Japan CD-Rs.

I've been using Sony's for years now, and they seem to hold up well. I've been getting them at a local Staples. They usually rotate between brands for sale. I've been getting them for around $15.00 for a spindle of a 100. I'll pick up 3(300 disc) for less then $50.00.
    demetrios wrote:
    ski4 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    also with flac you can

Yes you can with flac but how are you gonna play that Flac in a CD car stereo, CD/DVD Player or anything that plays audio CD's? You would need to burn the .flac files with Nero or extract the .wav files from the .flac files & burn them to an Audio CD.

I9.

yep
    that's almost how i do it
    all the other stuff is extra to me, i've no use for it. track listings etc, well it's all there for me on the cd, or flac or apple lossless file .

but honestly in my house cd is extinct. sorta relics in my basement. i plug my ipod in the car stereo, and stream from itunes to the home rig.
    so long as i got cover art i'm golden and im listening to my boots NOW. that's all i need. i like instant gratification.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Does it matter what software you use to convert the FLAC files? Are some programs better than others? Which one is best?
    i have been using one called "max"
    very simple and useful. it is for a mac,
    for PC i don't recall what i used but i did see some names on this site recently.