Digital Download vs. CD

DeetroitBaasketballDeetroitBaasketball Posts: 379
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I would be willing to pay an extra dollar or two for a CD if I could get the download while I wait for the CD to come in the mail. I mean, it's going on my computer anyway, but I like to have the disc for the collection and as a back-up. I bet more people would do that and they'd make more money. Just sayin, not complainin.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MB50486MB50486 Posts: 243
    +1
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I always get the CD.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

CD quality is much better than the mp3's
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    just get flac and burn to cd
    and back up redundantly as flac
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • ski4 wrote:

Too late. But also flac seems to be part of this world of tech savvy/sound elitist world that I'm not sure I'll ever be a part of. I could be wrong about the tech savvy part. It certainly doesn't seem to be user friendly/ compatible with iTunes.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 306
    ski4 wrote:

Too late. But also flac seems to be part of this world of tech savvy/sound elitist world that I'm not sure I'll ever be a part of. I could be wrong about the tech savvy part. It certainly doesn't seem to be user friendly/ compatible with iTunes.

FLAC isn't about being tech savvy or elitist, it's just a file format that gives you the exact sound quality as a CD, but you can download it right away and not have to wait.

If they were offering pressed CDs, i would pay the difference and wait for them, but since they are just CD-Rs that they are mailing you, I figured I'd go ahead and get the FLACs. No difference in quality and they are instant (assuming you have a decent high speed connection to download them quickly)
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

But FLAC quality is the same as CD
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    rlaidepeas wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

But FLAC quality is the same as CD

It seems like whenever I DL a FLAC file it always takes up so much more space on my computer than a CD does- is this right?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

It seems like whenever I DL a FLAC file it always takes up so much more space on my computer than a CD does- is this right?

No it shouldn't be correct. CD files are CDDA files which are really just renamed .WAV files. FLACs are just compressed .WAV files - compressed in a non lossy way, so they differ from .mp3 files, but they should still be smaller than .WAV files. And once you have FLAC files, you can easily convert them to MP3s if you desire.
  • JohnnyGeetarJohnnyGeetar Posts: 165
    ski4 wrote:

Then use Songbird instead of iTunes. You can play FLAC in Songbird, and rip to CD when you feel like it.

http://www.getsongbird.com/
    ski4 wrote:

ya it's not really a very difficult format to use
    i got my show
    pulled the files into a program called max and it spits out apple lossless files that work in itunes
    in short order

and i don't have to wait!!
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
    ski4 wrote:
    ski4 wrote:

ya it's not really a very difficult format to use
    i got my show
    pulled the files into a program called max and it spits out apple lossless files that work in itunes
    in short order

and i don't have to wait!!
    That too.
    Can anyone tell me if there are a brand of CD-Rs that are best to use when burning? Or does it not matter?
    Can anyone tell me if there are a brand of CD-Rs that are best to use when burning? Or does it not matter?
    i have heard pretty much any non chinese made ones will suffice
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    edited May 2010

They are Taiyo Yuden branded CDr's! The best of the best!
    One thing is, they are Made in Japan. Japan product! Top quality line!
    No Made in China or Made in Tiawan cheap crap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden
    Post edited by demetrios on

Taiyo Yuden is the best brand. But if you're lucky, you can go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, whatever and look at all of the spindles. Most of them will say Made In Taiwan, Made In India, etc....but if you find one that says Made In Japan, then you have found rebranded Taiyo Yudens. They are the best CD-Rs and they will last a lifetime, as long as you take decent care of them.

Sound quality should be identical no matter what brand you use, but if you want to keep your shows archived for years, it's best to use Made In Japan CD-Rs.
    rlaidepeas wrote:

Taiyo Yuden is the best brand. But if you're lucky, you can go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, whatever and look at all of the spindles. Most of them will say Made In Taiwan, Made In India, etc....but if you find one that says Made In Japan, then you have found rebranded Taiyo Yudens. They are the best CD-Rs and they will last a lifetime, as long as you take decent care of them.

Sound quality should be identical no matter what brand you use, but if you want to keep your shows archived for years, it's best to use Made In Japan CD-Rs.

i have read that all " non pressed" ones degrade with time which is another reason i choose flac.
    is this not true with this brand?
    Thanks everyone!
    ski4 wrote:
    rlaidepeas wrote:

i have read that all " non pressed" ones degrade with time which is another reason i choose flac.
    is this not true with this brand?

No, it is true, all CD-Rs will degrade over time, but Taiyo Yudens will degrade the slowest. You shouldn't have to worry about them for at least 50 years.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

How much of a quality difference are we talking here? I usually just buy the mp3 and burn to CDs myself and save myself the waiting and $7.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Newch91 wrote:
    I always get the CD.

How much of a quality difference are we talking here? I usually just buy the mp3 and burn to CDs myself and save myself the waiting and $7.

i believe the cd's are 256 kps, where as the cd is like what 1400 (somebody said the exact number, but if forget)

anyways, the point is, on any decent system, you will hear the difference. with an ipod and ear buds, it doesn't make as much differnce. when you compress the music down, pieces of it are cut out to make it smaller. you might miss some of the really high and low sound waves.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,156

Up to the listeners ears. Bot on a normal stereo or carstereo you should hear the difference w/o a problem.

And about Discs. Verbatim and Sony has great quality too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Shoot - wish I could cancel my order and get the FLAC now... all well. Next time.
    Shoot - wish I could cancel my order and get the FLAC now... all well. Next time.

Most people won't notice the difference, but it's one of those things that once people tell you you don't have the highest quality version, then the placebo effect can get to your mind. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is a noticible difference to me, which is why I always go FLAC when I can, but to most people, i can honestly say you couldn't tell the difference. 224kbps MP3s are pretty decent quality compared to 128kbps stuff you used to buy on Itunes.
  • rlaidepeas wrote:
    Shoot - wish I could cancel my order and get the FLAC now... all well. Next time.

Most people won't notice the difference, but it's one of those things that once people tell you you don't have the highest quality version, then the placebo effect can get to your mind. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is a noticible difference to me, which is why I always go FLAC when I can, but to most people, i can honestly say you couldn't tell the difference. 224kbps MP3s are pretty decent quality compared to 128kbps stuff you used to buy on Itunes.

That makes sense to me. I bet I'd be like that. I guess in the end I would rather have a CD with the casing and all that, than something I burned. So there's that.
  • how long does it take for you to receive the cd ? :?:
    Feel the sky blanket you, with gems & rhinestones

Toronto 09' - Buffalo 10' - Toronto 11' - Hamilton 11'
    if you get bored, pick a cd, pick a song and rip it at 128, 256, 320 and as a wav file. put them all your ipod or whatever and then listen to em and see if you can hear the difference.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    how long does it take for you to receive the cd ? :?:

7 months
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    if you get bored, pick a cd, pick a song and rip it at 128, 256, 320 and as a wav file. put them all your ipod or whatever and then listen to em and see if you can hear the difference.
    THIS.

And/or rip to a VBR mp3. That should take care of the highs and lows that get degraded if ripped to a CBR...see above for rates.