Comments

• Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    fanch75 wrote:
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

Stuff White People Like
    #101 Being Offended
    May 28, 2008 by clander

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say “the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can’t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.” After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.
    Does it make me a bad white person if I don't like being offended?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    I heard that. I like my coffee just like my women - black & strong!

aww, that's kind of cute :-)
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Oh by the way, I don't think this thread is degrading or "racist"...totally nothing wrong with it at all.
    I made a thread about the white of NBA, got a couple of angry repliers. I'm not even white. LOL :p
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=273019

But anyways, the thread is fine.
    However, Model~Roll Model's remark there has puzzled me a bit. I'd like to get to know what's her reasoning. Or is she just messin' around. ;) If she's not then I'd like to know why she based her love interest on race and nationality?

See, now you are assuming I am a female!! There are male models you know!!! ;)

:p

We all walk the long road..............
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    See, now you are assuming I am a female!! There are male models you know!!! ;)

:p

We all walk the long road..............
    Oops my bad...
    Assumptions...that's what this thread is full of! ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Royals32Royals32 Posts: 160
    Every time I see a white person I punch them.
    #==(o )

You are not your job.
    You are not how much money you have in the bank.
    You are not the car you drive.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your fucking khakis.
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    WMA HERE!!

Here in Indiana we have one of the biggest black expo's in the nation.
    Do you know what we call the "White" Expo?

The Indiana State Fair

(Ba-Dam CHING!!)

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    racist? how exactly? if he asked how many italian americans there were would that be racist? why is it that it's suddenly racist because it involves white people?
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    hobbes wrote:
    racist? how exactly? if he asked how many italian americans there were would that be racist? why is it that it's suddenly racist because it involves white people?

Because as soon as a white person calls attention to their own race, the assumption is that he somehow hates everyone else. White people are not allowed to talk positively about their own race.
  • Options
    MapleTeaMapleTea Posts: 50
    LOL ... What the fuck, why is everyone offended? If nothing else, that was the intent of the post.

bigot.
    *****no time to be void or save up on life,
    you got to spend it all...*****
  • Options
    Dogman3 wrote:
    I still don't see how this is rascist? It was a tongue in cheek post overall, a joke...?

White Supremist.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
    see below signature.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,745
    I don't want to list my race for fear of offending someone. Let's just say I won the lottery when I was born and leave it at that, shall we?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    I don't want to list my race for fear of offending someone. Let's just say I won the lottery when I was born and leave it at that, shall we?
    extremist.
  • Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    this thread interested me...i've always been curious of a few things...

how is having an entertainment channel dedicated solely to your race not seen as racist?

how is having an organization dedicated solely to ensuring the advancement of your race not seen as racist?
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    ^^^^^^^ = W.m.a.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    tdub wrote:

how is having an entertainment channel dedicated solely to your race not seen as racist?

how is having an organization dedicated solely to ensuring the advancement of your race not seen as racist?

You can only be racist if you're a WMA. Don't you know the rules?

I'm offended that you aren't PC enough. ;)

* Some of you folks are ridiculous. Offended at WMA thread. Good Lord people.
  • Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    sweet. then I'm a WMA.
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    Wma
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Pearl Jam needs more black fans. I demand an affirmative action program to get rid of some of these dumbass white people.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Pearl Jam needs more black fans. I demand an affirmative action program to get rid of some of these dumbass white people.

Since I feel guilty about the color of my skin, I think I will now burn all my PJ cd's, dvd's, etc and never ever go to another show. Columbia was my last. The guilt I just cannot overcome.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    fanch75 wrote:

Fanch, I present this to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2kLvsIbXY skip to 4:05 :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    "As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people."

Hence the big whoop-tee-doo about this thread.....although I see no point in it, who the hell cares
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    "As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people."

Hence the big whoop-tee-doo about this thread.....although I see no point in it, who the hell cares

"It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference."
  • Options
    tdub wrote:

jealous?

count me in as WMA... who didnt win the lottery
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I no longer want to be referred to using the racist term "white" either. I am now an English American. Thank you very much for your cooperation
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Fanch, I present this to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2kLvsIbXY skip to 4:05 :)

I can't see it! I'm at work; I'll check it out sometime at home, eh?
  • Options
    I no longer want to be referred to using the racist term "white" either. I am now an English American. Thank you very much for your cooperation

Yeah, me too. English American here as well or else I will be offended.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    European American, here. :)
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    kh65 wrote:
    European American, here. :)

I like it. That way you cover every bit of family history without offending anyone.

Nicely done.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    Drew263 wrote:
    I like it. That way you cover every bit of family history without offending anyone.

Nicely done.
    I was going to say "mut". :)
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee