I need a good read

2»

Comments

• loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    PJSerf wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    I was going to recommend the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl who Played with Fire" but then I saw you don't like detective novels.

I'm reading "The Help" right now and it is really good stuff.

I have about 20 pages left in The Road, and then I'm moving on to these books. Heard a lot of good things about them.

How do you like the Road? I read it and wasn't all that impressed. But it got great reviews and such.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,627
    http://www.amazon.com/Murdered-Mumia-Li ... 1599213761

Great book from the widow of the slain policeman....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    The Fixer wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I started "Fargo Rock City" and am enjoying it. I like listening to him on Bill Simmons' podcasts.

bill simmons was so much cooler when he was funny and didn't only write about the nba. His columns used to be great. I can't take him anymore. I read his first book...DO NOT BUY IT, AWFUL!!!

I've been getting to that point lately with him. Early on in this season he was railing against "Lost", then he has one of the creators on and now he loves it. Same thing with sabermetrics in baseball. He goes whichever way the wind blows. And you are right about the NBA. I couldn't care less.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 200
    rrivers wrote:

I'm a guy:)

As I was typing about "The Girl" books I had similiar thoughts that you bring up. Hopefully the original poster will give them a try. I recommended them to someone at work because I was enjoying the second one so much but I am a little nervous about her reaction because I was thinking about all the violence. I liked the second one more than the first. I am waiting for the third one to come out in paperback.

If you're interested here's a really good article about the author, who died, and the fight between his dad/brother vs. his girlfriend over the books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/magaz ... wanted=all

Have you seen the film of the GwtDT? It's out in limited release, I just saw it in Denver last week. I'm usually disappointed with books that are turned into films, but I really liked what they did with the movie. If it's out in your area, I highly recommend seeing it (if you don't mind subtitles). I guess the films for the other 2 books are already out in Europe, and are expected to be out in the states this fall.

Thanks for the link to that article, also. It was really interesting, and quite sad.
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    invisible monsters by chuck palahniuk
    we by yevgeny zamyatin
    the subterraneans by jack kerouac
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,627
    rrivers wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm finishing Lone Survivor, which is about a group of Navy Seals that head to the Afghanistan after 9/11. Great read, highly recommended

I also enjoyed all of chuck klosterman's books. he writes about music and pop culture, in a funny way. tough to explain. sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs was probably my favorite book of his.

I started "Fargo Rock City" and am enjoying it. I like listening to him on Bill Simmons' podcasts.

agreed...."Fargo Rock City" is a great book....especially if you were a big KISS fan
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    rrivers wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm finishing Lone Survivor, which is about a group of Navy Seals that head to the Afghanistan after 9/11. Great read, highly recommended

I also enjoyed all of chuck klosterman's books. he writes about music and pop culture, in a funny way. tough to explain. sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs was probably my favorite book of his.

agreed...."Fargo Rock City" is a great book....especially if you were a big KISS fan

all of klosterman's stuff is good...

killing yourself to live
    sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs
    downtown owl
    IV
    I have Eating the dinosaur, but haven't read it yet
    Divka wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Have you seen the film of the GwtDT? It's out in limited release, I just saw it in Denver last week. I'm usually disappointed with books that are turned into films, but I really liked what they did with the movie. If it's out in your area, I highly recommend seeing it (if you don't mind subtitles). I guess the films for the other 2 books are already out in Europe, and are expected to be out in the states this fall.

Thanks for the link to that article, also. It was really interesting, and quite sad.

I haven't seen it but I saw the trailer and it looks good. It looks really faithful to the book. I don't mind subtitles. A lot of times my wife and I will watch movies in English with subtitles just so we don't miss anything! I'm glad to hear the Swedish versions of the films are out. I have a feeling they are going to suck the life out of them when they Hollywoodize them. I think Brad Pitt is going to play Blomkvist (sp?).
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    rrivers wrote:

As I was typing about "The Girl" books I had similiar thoughts that you bring up. Hopefully the original poster will give them a try. I recommended them to someone at work because I was enjoying the second one so much but I am a little nervous about her reaction because I was thinking about all the violence. I liked the second one more than the first. I am waiting for the third one to come out in paperback.

If you're interested here's a really good article about the author, who died, and the fight between his dad/brother vs. his girlfriend over the books.

I don't read much fiction anymore but after reading that article I'm kind of interested in the books. Although it bothers me that his partner said the English translations were "prettied up" and the original titles changed.

Translations can make such a huge difference. One of my favorite books is "Kristin Lavransdatter" (it's actually 3 books) by the Norwegian author Sigrid Unset. I'd read the translation that's been around for many years, then I read a newly done translation by Tiina Nunnally, translator of "Smilla's Sense of Snow." Wow! What a difference. It's a story about people living in 14th century Norway but there are some surprisingly universal themes.

It also led to one of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had while traveling. I was seated next to a Norwegian man on a flight from Chicago to Dallas. He was surprised at how familiar I was with the different regions of Norway and I had to tell him it was from reading "Kristin." Then he was fascinated that I'd read the book. It was published in the 1920s but is still hugely popular in Norway.

http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-Lavransda ... 555&sr=1-2
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    rrivers wrote:
    I don't read much fiction anymore but after reading that article I'm kind of interested in the books. Although it bothers me that his partner said the English translations were "prettied up" and the original titles changed.

Translations can make such a huge difference. One of my favorite books is "Kristin Lavransdatter" (it's actually 3 books) by the Norwegian author Sigrid Unset. I'd read the translation that's been around for many years, then I read a newly done translation by Tiina Nunnally, translator of "Smilla's Sense of Snow." Wow! What a difference. It's a story about people living in 14th century Norway but there are some surprisingly universal themes.

It also led to one of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had while traveling. I was seated next to a Norwegian man on a flight from Chicago to Dallas. He was surprised at how familiar I was with the different regions of Norway and I had to tell him it was from reading "Kristin." Then he was fascinated that I'd read the book. It was published in the 1920s but is still hugely popular in Norway.

http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-Lavransda ... 555&sr=1-2

I enjoyed the books and thought they were well written. Someone with a masters in English might disagree. :D
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,483
    Anything by Paul Auster. Oracle Night or The Music of Chance are probably my favourites. Rupert Thompson is also pretty good.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    rrivers wrote:
    I enjoyed the books and thought they were well written. Someone with a masters in English might disagree. :D
    That's why I don't usually tell people I have a Master's in English. They start to think I'm a snob. :lolno: :P ;)
    I enjoy a good story though and these books have caused so much interest that I'll probably add them to my To Read list. Which just keeps growing longer! :wtf:
    rrivers wrote:
    That's why I don't usually tell people I have a Master's in English. They start to think I'm a snob. :lolno: :P ;)
    I enjoy a good story though and these books have caused so much interest that I'll probably add them to my To Read list. Which just keeps growing longer! :wtf:

I hope I didn't offend you, just joking around! If you didn't think it was good writing, I wouldn't think you were a snob! I'm pretty snobby myself when it comes to writing, movies, TV (you've seen me in the Lost thread!). Not that the writing needs to have big words or be Shakespeare, I just need it to flow and not make me stop and say, "Jesus, this is horrible!" (Exactly what I spent the entire time reading "Twilight" doing. Yes, I read "Twilight". <ducks> Yes, I'm a 32 year old man. My wife told me it was good and I like vampires! Stopped after the first book though.) In short, not take me out of the story, the cardinal sin in my mind. Hope you like the "Girl" books!
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    the color of water-James McBride
    And you might enjoy stuff by Anne Lamott

Sorry I don't have more suggestions I tend to like detective stories so that's mostly what I read.
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I hope I didn't offend you, just joking around! If you didn't think it was good writing, I wouldn't think you were a snob! I'm pretty snobby myself when it comes to writing, movies, TV (you've seen me in the Lost thread!). Not that the writing needs to have big words or be Shakespeare, I just need it to flow and not make me stop and say, "Jesus, this is horrible!" (Exactly what I spent the entire time reading "Twilight" doing. Yes, I read "Twilight". <ducks> Yes, I'm a 32 year old man. My wife told me it was good and I like vampires! Stopped after the first book though.) In short, not take me out of the story, the cardinal sin in my mind. Hope you like the "Girl" books!
    I wasn't offended, I thought it was funny! :thumbup: :clap:
    I often tell people I'm a professional knowitall.
    Yeah, when something is well written it's a real treat but no matter what the writing is like, the story or subject has to engage me.

Don't feel bad about reading Twilight. MY husband insisted on renting the movie! (Hated it!) :wtf:

BTW wasn't that Lost finale just BRILLIANT?! :P

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Back to the book recommendations. :mrgreen:
  • NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Just finished SURVIVOR by Chuck Palahniuk - good read...didn't expect THAT kind of story, but it made me think of PJ's BLOOD in ways.

Another finished before that was THE DOGS OF BABEL by Carolyn Parkhurst...a quick read but quirky and made me laugh out loud!

BTW: HATED TWILIGHT, too...and MY husband insisted we rent it as well, and NO I was NOT impressed with the ending to LOST and assume you are, of course, joking

To the poster who suggested "THE GIRL" books...ok ok, I'll give them a try! Thanks to all but I'll need more...bring em on!
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Love Neil Gaiman.

1)Neverwhere
    2)American Gods
    3)Anansi Boys
    4)Graveyard Book
    NJPJ wrote:
    BTW: HATED TWILIGHT, too...and MY husband insisted we rent it as well, and NO I was NOT impressed with the ending to LOST and assume you are, of course, joking

No, I was not impressed with the ending of Lost just to clear things up!

I just finished "The Help". Really enjoyed it and it was a fast read. My wife and I both read it in a week.

I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" right now, the first book in a proposed 7 book series. I think 4 of them are out now. It's really good. It's fantasy but most of it so far has been the power struggle between different families.
  • rrivers wrote:
    NJPJ wrote:

I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" right now, the first book in a proposed 7 book series. I think 4 of them are out now. It's really good. It's fantasy but most of it so far has been the power struggle between different families.

I'm at the end of book 4 now. Apart from Lord of The Rings im not a fan of fantasy but this series is damn good. Books 2 and 3 are just as good as 1 :D
    rrivers wrote:
    NJPJ wrote:

I'm at the end of book 4 now. Apart from Lord of The Rings im not a fan of fantasy but this series is damn good. Books 2 and 3 are just as good as 1 :D

Yeah I'm not really a fan of fantasy either. I enjoyed the LOTR movies but haven't read the books. I read the first "Wheel of Time" book and enjoyed it but other than that "The Dark Tower" is probably the most fantasy I've read. I really like the idea of the wall in the north and how winter can last so long. I'm really looking forward to the other books. I'm not sure if I will go right into the next one or wait. I still have about 300 pages in this one but you have me thinking of just reading all of them in a row. I think the 5th one will be coming out fairly soon.
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of fantasy either. I enjoyed the LOTR movies but haven't read the books. I read the first "Wheel of Time" book and enjoyed it but other than that "The Dark Tower" is probably the most fantasy I've read. I really like the idea of the wall in the north and how winter can last so long. I'm really looking forward to the other books. I'm not sure if I will go right into the next one or wait. I still have about 300 pages in this one but you have me thinking of just reading all of them in a row. I think the 5th one will be coming out fairly soon.
    I'm not really one for fantasy either but if you enjoyed the LOTR movies you really ought to read the books as well. I've read them at least 20 time, no exaggeration, starting when I was 13 (which was a really LONG time ago). :lol: But I'm not one of those purists that thinks that the books are better than the movies blah blah woof woof. I love both.

Those books really made a strong impression on me when I was young. They were a big part of why I majored in English.
  • NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Continuing with Chuck Palaniuk...CHOKE is a great read...although making me face what I'll have to not so far into the future with the folks, nursing homes, etc....yikes!

Finished a great book, and what looks like his only pulblication, by Josh Bazell: BEAT THE REAPER...made me laugh out loud!!

When I finish LULLABYE and INVISIBLE MONSTERS I'm going to start that GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO trilogy...thanks for all the suggestions...

Has anyone read anything by Carlton Mellick, III? Read a few reviews of SATAN BURGER and THE HAUNTED VAGINA...I'll probably check them out for myself anyway but looking for some real reviews, or anything else by this guy.
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
    Divka wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Hi,
    I rented "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" last night and my wife and I watched an hour and a half of it. The only reason we turned it off was because our son came in the room and we had to "parent" lol! I thought it was fantastic and really faithful to the book. Anyone who has read the book should see it, but I would recommend reading it first.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    shantram is a damn good book. may have spelled that wrong....it's a thick book but really good!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Imperfectionists is supposed to be great. I have it, but haven't read it yet.

I thought The Passage was just okay. I was into the beginning, then got bored. It did make me want to reread The Stand though.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I recently finished The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle, and I would recommend it. It's the 3rd in a trilogy, and the first of the series, A Star Called Henry, was excellent! Doyle's best ability is creating mood through dialogue.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Enkidu wrote:
    I thought The Passage was just okay. I was into the beginning, then got bored. It did make me want to reread The Stand though.

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I was way into it until page 250 or so. It was similiar to The Stand but I was enjoying it so much that I didn't mind. Then it took me awhile to get into the second part with the colony and right when I was starting to like that they left! I'm on page 638 now and really struggling to get through it even though I am so close to the end. I actually picked up "Misery" yesterday and am reading that for the 3rd or 4th time because I caught some of the movie late one night instead of finishing "The Passage".
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

With the bin laden stuff going down this week, I would implore people to read this book. I'm hoping there is a future book about the SEALS recent mission.

currently reading a sales strategy book, which I'm sure no one is interested in.

anyone else go through phases with reading? I always pick up my reading pace in the summer. Less sports on means I read a lot more.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I just finished "Touching From A Distance", about Ian Curtis and Joy Division written by Ian's widow. It was very good.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"