I need a good read

NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm just about done with Shutter Island..I have to read the books before I see the movies, and while this was not a book I would normally read, it is quite a very good read.

Don't like detective novels, or smut, techno-gargon or space stuff...just good stories about people.

Anyone read anything good to pass along?
"Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
"Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RL243808RL243808 Posts: 12
    I would highly recommend The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Really blew my mind and turned me on to Cormac at the same time. Well worth a read.

Cheers

Ross
  • NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    I've read The Road..did enjoy it...and read it years before the movie, which I have not seen, but I do so appreciate the referral. Keep 'em coming!

I've read a lot (maybe all) of Steinbeck and Vonnegut, and for some reason everything by S.King, but that was YEARS ago when I could take that kind of read.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Love this book, I have read it a few times. The characters are so well written.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Babel-Novel- ... 612&sr=8-1
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Non-fiction = The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan
    Fiction = The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich
    Fiction = Dirt Music by Tim Winton
    Memoir = the Tenth Muse by Judith Jones
    Biography = The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life and Legacy of Frances Perkins, Social Security, Unemployment Insurance by Kirstin Downey. It was a good read, just finished.
    Humor = A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

I recently joined two book reader social networking sites:

goodreads.com and librarything.com They may have good suggestions, too.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    Appointment in Samarra - O'Hara

Don't Stop the Carnival - Wouk

Ham on Rye - Bukowsky

If you haven't read it yet, No Country for Old Men by McCarthy was also very good.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I hear this book is awesome and influenced by Vonnegut. :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Knee-Deep-Chalk-O ... 855&sr=1-1
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Anything by Lisa Gardner especially Say Goodbye
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Theovl316 wrote:

Another book on the Theovl316 "i haven't read it but someone once told me about it" list.
    Theovl316 wrote:

Another book on the Theovl316 "i haven't read it but someone once told me about it" list.

:lol::lol: Totally saw this comin'

I DID actually read this one! thanks!
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Theovl316 wrote:

:lol::lol: Totally saw this comin'

I DID actually read this one! thanks!

wow, no way!
    Yup! I swear!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Do you read Nelson DeMille? anything by him is awesome and his new sequel to A Lions Game is coming out in June The Lion, something I am looking forward to. The books just don't last long enough though.
    pandora wrote:
    Do you read Nelson DeMille? anything by him is awesome and his new sequel to A Lions Game is coming out in June The Lion, something I am looking forward to. The books just don't last long enough though.

Read slower.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I recently joined two book reader social networking sites:

goodreads.com and librarything.com They may have good suggestions, too.
    I love librarything.com! My To Read list just keeps getting longer.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    You GOTTA read Kitchen Confidental. Great great book
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Someone already recommended Christopher Moore... I love this guy and have read most of his books. I'd recommend Lamb... probably his best.

I ALWAYS recommend Tom Robbins but he is sort of a love him or hate him author so BEWARE! Jitterbug Perfume is my favorite of his.

And if you're into mind-blowing science fiction filled with anarchism, drugs, sex, philosophy, and conspiracy theories... check out The Illuminatus! Trilogy...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

Read slower.
    :) and reread, I've read his books a couple times at least, I love his dry wit.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I always mention this book. It may seem like I don't read anything else...I do, but I absolutely love this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I always mention this book. It may seem like I don't read anything else...I do, but I absolutely love this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

The Jungle is fantastic - it's one of those books I didn't read until I was older. I also didn't read a lot of Dickens growing up and would recommend Great Expectations or Domby and Son. Edith Wharton, but maybe a little on the girly side.

Non-fiction, any Jon Krakauer. If you like WWII, Rick Atkinson is writing a trilogy and the first two, An Army at Dawn and Day of Battle are really good. Long though. King Leopold's Ghost - amazing, about the rape of Africa.

Back to fiction - I just read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby and thought it was super great.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    NJPJ wrote:
    I'm just about done with Shutter Island..I have to read the books before I see the movies, and while this was not a book I would normally read, it is quite a very good read.

Don't like detective novels, or smut, techno-gargon or space stuff...just good stories about people.

Anyone read anything good to pass along?

I was going to recommend the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl who Played with Fire" but then I saw you don't like detective novels.

I'm reading "The Help" right now and it is really good stuff.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I hear this book is awesome and influenced by Vonnegut. :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Knee-Deep-Chalk-O ... 855&sr=1-1
    i'll be reading this book too. (we're doing a book exchange) :mrgreen:
    and if you happen to enjoy yourself some poetry you may want to read this.
    ISBN: 1424188407
    Title: My Feelings
    Author: some dickhead named C.J. Krueger... not a distant cousin of Chad Kroeger...
    im sure your local bookstore can get it for you or these online store can.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1424188406
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 1424188407
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2010
    I'm finishing Lone Survivor, which is about a group of Navy Seals that head to the Afghanistan after 9/11. Great read, highly recommended

I also enjoyed all of chuck klosterman's books. he writes about music and pop culture, in a funny way. tough to explain. sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs was probably my favorite book of his.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Long Way Down---Nick Hornby :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm finishing Lone Survivor, which is about a group of Navy Seals that head to the Afghanistan after 9/11. Great read, highly recommended

I also enjoyed all of chuck klosterman's books. he writes about music and pop culture, in a funny way. tough to explain. sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs was probably my favorite book of his.

I started "Fargo Rock City" and am enjoying it. I like listening to him on Bill Simmons' podcasts.
  • NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Well, a great thanks to all and keep 'em coming! the list thus far should get me through the first three days of my kids' summer vacation!!! If I look busy, they won't bother me...and eventually, I'll pass a book or two along to them, provided they're of their level. My 16 year old son reads a lot of what I've been reading (I said I didn't like smut) and my 12 year old has started on the old S. King novels...they're right up HIS alley!

I need to branch out and by the looks of it, will be doing so. Maybe we'll all read something we haven't tried before..enjoy!
    NJPJ wrote:
    Well, a great thanks to all and keep 'em coming! the list thus far should get me through the first three days of my kids' summer vacation!!! If I look busy, they won't bother me...and eventually, I'll pass a book or two along to them, provided they're of their level. My 16 year old son reads a lot of what I've been reading (I said I didn't like smut) and my 12 year old has started on the old S. King novels...they're right up HIS alley!

I need to branch out and by the looks of it, will be doing so. Maybe we'll all read something we haven't tried before..enjoy!

I like Stephen King a lot and in 2004 or 2005 I read a column by him in Entertainment Weekly where he ranked his favorite books for the previous year. In the column he said he read 80 or so books a year. I decided to see how many books I could read in a year and I think the first year I ended up about 25. Since then I have done it ever year and my wife does it with me to see who can read more. I think the most I've ever read was 30. The point of all this is that it finally got me reading steadily and I have read a lot of the books that I would always say, "I want to read that one day." I've also read a lot of different genres and usually will go a completely different direction after finishing one type of book.

Anyway, enjoy your summer!
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 200
    rrivers wrote:
    I was going to recommend the "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl who Played with Fire" but then I saw you don't like detective novels.

I would still recommend those books. I wouldn't call them detective novels... there are mysteries to be solved, but the most interesting parts of the books are finding out about the characters' lives. Lisbeth Salander is my new favorite ficitonal character... totally badass. I can't wait to read the Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest! This is the best series I've read in a LONG time.

Another extremely interesting read is Eleven Minutes, by Paulo Coelho. A daring story not many people would attempt to tell. Actually I'd recommend anything by Paulo Coelho... The Devil and Miss Prym & Veronika Decides to Die being my other favorites if his.

Also, I dunno if you're male or female, but if you are of the female persuasion, I highly recommend A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I read this book at least once a year. (It's not about hunting and fishing).
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
    Divka wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I would still recommend those books. I wouldn't call them detective novels... there are mysteries to be solved, but the most interesting parts of the books are finding out about the characters' lives. Lisbeth Salander is my new favorite ficitonal character... totally badass. I can't wait to read the Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest! This is the best series I've read in a LONG time.

Another extremely interesting read is Eleven Minutes, by Paulo Coelho. A daring story not many people would attempt to tell. Actually I'd recommend anything by Paulo Coelho... The Devil and Miss Prym & Veronika Decides to Die being my other favorites if his.

Also, I dunno if you're male or female, but if you are of the female persuasion, I highly recommend A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I read this book at least once a year. (It's not about hunting and fishing).

I'm a guy:)

As I was typing about "The Girl" books I had similiar thoughts that you bring up. Hopefully the original poster will give them a try. I recommended them to someone at work because I was enjoying the second one so much but I am a little nervous about her reaction because I was thinking about all the violence. I liked the second one more than the first. I am waiting for the third one to come out in paperback.

If you're interested here's a really good article about the author, who died, and the fight between his dad/brother vs. his girlfriend over the books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/magaz ... wanted=all
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    rrivers wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I started "Fargo Rock City" and am enjoying it. I like listening to him on Bill Simmons' podcasts.

bill simmons was so much cooler when he was funny and didn't only write about the nba. His columns used to be great. I can't take him anymore. I read his first book...DO NOT BUY IT, AWFUL!!!
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    rrivers wrote:

I'm reading "The Help" right now and it is really good stuff.

I have about 20 pages left in The Road, and then I'm moving on to these books. Heard a lot of good things about them.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV