Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    John Calipari
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    John Calipari

that's what I'm saying.....it's not the "genius," it's the talent.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Rex ryan
    Jimmy johnson
    Bill parcells
    Mike d'antoni(sp?)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Rex ryan - thought he did pretty well with a first year QB. we'll see this year.
    Jimmy johnson - loved his "produce or get out" style with the cowboys
    Bill parcells - pretty good personnel guy, I think
    Mike d'antoni(sp?) - yeah, how's his "genius" working out with the knicks? :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    imalive wrote:
    phil

you are nuts. Phil is a beast. I'd take him over any NBA coach of any era.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I dunno, i think Parcells is a pretty darn good coach. won every where he went.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    Parcells is one of the best ever!

Andy Reid = Overrated
    Tony Dungy = Overrated
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    John Calipari

good call every where he goes they go on probation
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Nate McMillan
    Mike Brown
    Norv Turner
    Lou Pinella
    NERDS!
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    phil

you are nuts. Phil is a beast. I'd take him over any NBA coach of any era.

he rolls the ball out..... :roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Rich Rod :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    m0jorisen wrote:
    John Calipari

The guy is the highest paid college hoops coach and what has he won? Nothing. His runner-up finish a few years ago for Memphis was vacated by the NCAA because Derrick Rose faked his SATs. UMass had to vacate their Final Four run because Marcus Camby got caught taking money. He's a con artist. Yet, he's paid more than guys like Roy Williams and Bill Self and Tom Izzo and Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan and Coach K and Jim Calhoun (you know, guys who have won something).

OVER-RATED CLAP CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP

I miss college hoops season...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Rick Pitino

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    Charlie Manual (pedro martinez 2 starts in the world series, really charlie?)
    Jimmy Johnson (thugs at Miami and Aikman and Emmitt more to do with this guy)
    Rick Pitino

disagree with Calipari being overrated. I've seen a bunch of Calipari games going back to Umass and regardless of the talent he has (and he didn't really have that much at Umass other than Camby) his teams play harder than anyone else's. He gets players, whether 5 star recruits or 1 star recruits, to play their asses off for the team - to me that is a great coach regardless of championships won or lost.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    JOE TORRE
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    JOE TORRE

it bugs the crap out of me when JT and TLR are referred to as "first ballot hall of famers".....yet their steroid boys have no shot at the hall. :evil:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    My Manager.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    intodeep wrote:
    My Manager.

heh. Mine too. :twisted:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    imalive wrote:
    la russa and torre
    phil
    shanahan

Just change the title of this thread to La Russa and be done with it. "Oh, he's batting the pitcher 8th! What a genius!"
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    rrivers wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    la russa and torre
    phil
    shanahan

Just change the title of this thread to La Russa and be done with it. "Oh, he's batting the pitcher 8th! What a genius!"

One of only 2 managers to win a world series in each league.
    Only manager to win multiple pennants in each league.
    Manager of the year on 3 different teams.
    Won division with 3 different teams.
    3rd all time in victories.

I also heard he loved the the last episode of Lost.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I think baseball managers in general are overrated... they make a lineup and 99% of the time follow percentages and stats when making substitutions or sending runners or whatever.

All it seems to take is one gutsy call that turns into a big run, and all of a sudden the guy is amazing. Chances are he made that same switch a month ago and it didn't work out.

Their only real skill is managing the massive egos that exist on a baseball team.

Football, hockey & basketball (maybe a little less in the NBA) all have strategies/systems/plays that coaches put into place. There are still some overrated ones, but at least those guys seem to do a lot more work than baseball.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    m0jorisen wrote:
    John Calipari

The guy is the highest paid college hoops coach and what has he won? Nothing. His runner-up finish a few years ago for Memphis was vacated by the NCAA because Derrick Rose faked his SATs. UMass had to vacate their Final Four run because Marcus Camby got caught taking money. He's a con artist. Yet, he's paid more than guys like Roy Williams and Bill Self and Tom Izzo and Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan and Coach K and Jim Calhoun (you know, guys who have won something).

I don't get the love for him either... he leaves a trail of violations behind him whenever he leaves jobs. He's like a sketchy home builder who build beautiful looking houses and sells them for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but 5 years later, the foundation shifts, and shit starts falling apart everywhere.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:
    la russa and torre
    phil
    shanahan

shanahan is by far number 1. dude has won one playoff game since elway has retired (almost 15 years ago). he inherited a SB team and hasn't won since.
    81 wrote:
    I dunno, i think Parcells is a pretty darn good coach. won every where he went.

I agree...how can anyone say parcells was overrated?
    m0jorisen wrote:
    John Calipari

I miss college hoops season...

roy williams is overrated too. he should win more than he has considering where he's coached. he didn't recruit the UNC team that won for him (not because of him). and he seems more fake than a used car salesman
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    PHIL JACKSON.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    Charlie Manual (pedro martinez 2 starts in the world series, really charlie?)
    Jimmy Johnson (thugs at Miami and Aikman and Emmitt more to do with this guy)
    Rick Pitino

disagree with Calipari being overrated. I've seen a bunch of Calipari games going back to Umass and regardless of the talent he has (and he didn't really have that much at Umass other than Camby) his teams play harder than anyone else's. He gets players, whether 5 star recruits or 1 star recruits, to play their asses off for the team - to me that is a great coach regardless of championships won or lost.

I agree with manuel.

um, jimmy johnson drafted aikman and emmitt. I hate the cowboys, but he was a beast during his time there
    I think baseball managers in general are overrated... they make a lineup and 99% of the time follow percentages and stats when making substitutions or sending runners or whatever.

All it seems to take is one gutsy call that turns into a big run, and all of a sudden the guy is amazing. Chances are he made that same switch a month ago and it didn't work out.

Their only real skill is managing the massive egos that exist on a baseball team.

Football, hockey & basketball (maybe a little less in the NBA) all have strategies/systems/plays that coaches put into place. There are still some overrated ones, but at least those guys seem to do a lot more work than baseball.

you need to follow baseball a lot more closely. read the book 3 nights in august, you'll learn a lot
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I don't know how anybody could look at the Cardinals since 1996 and say Larussa is overrated. He micro manages sometimes, but the guy gets results. Didn't he practically invent sabermetrics or whatever it's called?

The 09 Cardinals were supposed to get 4th in their division and they fuckin stomped through it. 06 WS they were the heavy underdogs and stomped through it.

Calipari is overrated as fuck. Great coaches don't have to cheat. He hasn't won anything and he'll never win anything. If he does, he's proven he won't get to keep it long.

Parcells is great, but he really knows how to build a team as much as coach it.

Phil Jackson is in the top 5 coaches of any sport. Jordan didn't win without him, Kobe and Shaq didn't win without him.
    DewieCox wrote:
    I don't know how anybody could look at the Cardinals since 1996 and say Larussa is overrated. He micro manages sometimes, but the guy gets results. Didn't he practically invent sabermetrics or whatever it's called?

to answer your question, no. the cards play in such a shit division it's a joke if they don't win 95-100 games a year. The last time they won it all they had like 84 wins. I believe it's the lowest win total ever for a WS champ (I did love watching them beat the mets that year)

Larussa is decent. I still don't know how he lost in 1988 with that loaded oakland team...or 1990 with another loaded oakland team. he only won 1 game in those two series combined. He is probably a little overrated. He's 2-3 in the WS...he was a huge favorite in 3 of those series (and went 5-8 in those games...not good)