Slow Lukin

StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
edited June 2010 in The Porch
...not as good as original Lukin. Sorry it had to be said.

I thought the fast version with the string quartet was mental last year. I want to hear that! Actually I've never seen it live at all so I don't care if its electric, acoustic, with a string quartertet whatever - I just want to be the fast/mental song we all know and love.
Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    StoneAment wrote:

I thought the fast version with the string quartet was mental last year. I want to hear that! Actually I've never seen it live at all so I don't care if its electric, acoustic, with a string quartertet whatever - I just want to be the fast/mental song we all know and love.
    Seen it fast, fast with strings, and slow - maybe it's just me, but I couldn't take the song seriously until it was played slow style.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    benjs wrote:
    StoneAment wrote:

Seen it fast, fast with strings, and slow - maybe it's just me, but I couldn't take the song seriously until it was played slow style.

+10000
    i always dug the original, but in a fun sort of way. never made much of it. plus ed always fucked the lyrics up and just growled his way through.

the slow version however, is fucking AMAZING. i think it makes the lyrics so much more haunting. incredible. ten thousand times better than the original. and i've seen every different version live as well.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • DriftEdDriftEd Posts: 74
    Ive seen Lukin Slow, Fast with Strings, and saw Ed do it solo tour just him on acoustic..

Slower is way mor haunting but fast is crazy and frenzied. Usually a great startedr for another rocker.
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    they're two totally different songs. fast lukin is great but slow lukin is mesmerizing.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    plus ed always fucked the lyrics up

You could hear the lyrics?
  • Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    StoneAment wrote:
    plus ed always fucked the lyrics up

You could hear the lyrics?
    There are lyrics?
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    Slow Lukin is one of my favs now...I wish it was always played that way....one of my favorite moments at MSG 2
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Slow Lukin was such a nice suprise at MSG. I would prefer it over the original speed but fast is so much fun. The feeling I got when it was played is at the top of my list of Live PJ experiences. I had the same feeling when I heard the slow version of Betterman at the solo shows for the first time. I do prefer the original in that case tho.
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• JoeTzuJoeTzu Posts: 88
    they're two totally different songs. fast lukin is great but slow lukin is mesmerizing.

Well typed.
    Tickle my nausea
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Fast Lukin is just a crap song. A waste of a minute...This slow Lukin sounds intriguing...Better go check it out.

edit: It's better but kinda cheesy sounding from the better vids I can find.
  • gremmiedotnetgremmiedotnet Posts: 345
    slow lukin', or SLUKIN' as we call is at gremmie.net is coming soon.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i love slow lukin. i want them to record it and sell it to me.
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    i am really digging it
    all of the you tube finds i have seen are sub par in sound though
    so much crowd noise. lol

i can't wait till the boots of that hit
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    I like both...they each have their place and stand alone in their own right as songs. If it weren't for the lyrics, they'd be totally different songs. Now, the slow "Jeremy" they used to do, that doesn't even compare to the original, not to my ears anyway...ruined it, actually.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
    jwagner wrote:
    I like both...they each have their place and stand alone in their own right as songs. If it weren't for the lyrics, they'd be totally different songs. Now, the slow "Jeremy" they used to do, that doesn't even compare to the original, not to my ears anyway...ruined it, actually.
    The one they did around '96? I LOVE that Jeremy!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    benjs wrote:
    jwagner wrote:

Some people do, and that's cool, of course. I just didn't feel like it was a satisfying alternative to the original (I totally love the original, one of my alltime PJ favorites still). Seemed to lack any real momentum, like it was an unfinished reworking. Maybe I just heard a particularly loose version or something.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    Lukin is one of those songs that Ed hasn't really mastered since the 00 tour. With this slow version, eddie is able to use his strengths in the song again. Love to hear eddie sing like he does here. I am glad they updated the song, but will miss fast lukin for sure. Always great to hear it at the shows.
    I will swallow poison
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    jwagner wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    jwagner wrote:

Some people do, and that's cool, of course. I just didn't feel like it was a satisfying alternative to the original (I totally love the original, one of my alltime PJ favorites still). Seemed to lack any real momentum, like it was an unfinished reworking. Maybe I just heard a particularly loose version or something.

I agree. You don't take one of the greatest bass riffs ever written out of a song and expect it to improve.
    Niko80 wrote:
    Lukin is one of those songs that Ed hasn't really mastered since the 00 tour. With this slow version, eddie is able to use his strengths in the song again. Love to hear eddie sing like he does here. I am glad they updated the song, but will miss fast lukin for sure. Always great to hear it at the shows.
    I really doubt that the playing of Lukin II means it's the end of the band performing the original Lukin, but only time will tell!

EV
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    StoneAment wrote:

i completly agree. hate it. Lukin is fast and angry. a good song to bounce around too....the new verision...lacks everything that lukin deserves.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    New flash: they arent going to STOP playing Lukin the way it was meant to be played.. they were just giving everyone something new since they did Lukin with strings the night before. It was refreshing to not hear fast Lukin after Just Breath with strings.. (I saw that on Night 2 of Philly as well)
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    Slowly getting my videos from the MSG shows up. Here's another of this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CtRSc_QHhM
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Not that i didn't like the slow version but it dosn't have any "mezmorizing" lyrics in it, it's a plain old story about a crazy lady that shows up at his house after he cant find his keys, saying that he raped her and got a son out of it.
    rolenrock wrote:
    New flash: they arent going to STOP playing Lukin the way it was meant to be played

I hope you're right! More importantly I hope if they crack out Lukin at a show I'm at (not seen it yet) it's the fast version!
  • in eds treein eds tree Posts: 539
    slukin.

i love it.

i for one am a fan.
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Now, the slow "Jeremy" they used to do, that doesn't even compare to the original, not to my ears anyway...ruined it, actually.
    jwagner wrote:
    I just didn't feel like it was a satisfying alternative to the original (I totally love the original, one of my alltime PJ favorites still). Seemed to lack any real momentum, like it was an unfinished reworking. Maybe I just heard a particularly loose version or something.
    jwagner wrote:
    I agree. You don't take one of the greatest bass riffs ever written out of a song and expect it to improve.

:thumbup: Original Jeremy is the only Jeremy. The bass is immense! Just a classic. If it ain't broke don't break it!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    RiotZact wrote:
    Not that i didn't like the slow version but it dosn't have any "mezmorizing" lyrics in it, it's a plain old story about a crazy lady that shows up at his house after he cant find his keys, saying that he raped her and got a son out of it.

Drive down the street, can't find the keys to my own fucking home
    I take a walk, so I can curse my ass for being dumb
    I make a right after the arches, stinking grease and bone
    Stop at the supermarket, people stare like I'm a dog

I'm goin' to Lukin's...
    I got a spot at Lukin's...
    I knock the door at Lukin's...
    Open the fridge, now I know life is worth

I find the key, but I return to find an open door
    Some fucking freak who claims I fathered, by rape, her own son
    I find my wife, I call the cops, this day's work's never done
    The last I heard the freak was purchasing a fucking gun
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Can't stop watching the YouTube videos of this, and it was even better to be in the audience at MSG2 when it was played! It took me up about until the word 'supermarket' to realize what was being played- then I freaked!
    Love this version!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    MayDay10 wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Drive down the street, can't find the keys to my own fucking home
    I take a walk, so I can curse my ass for being dumb
    I make a right after the arches, stinking grease and bone
    Stop at the supermarket, people stare like I'm a dog

I'm goin' to Lukin's...
    I got a spot at Lukin's...
    I knock the door at Lukin's...
    Open the fridge, now I know life is worth

I find the key, but I return to find an open door
    Some fucking freak who claims I fathered, by rape, her own son
    I find my wife, I call the cops, this day's work's never done
    The last I heard the freak was purchasing a fucking gun

Yeah I love the fast version and the slow is good to but I don't see how people are saying that the lyrics are giving them goosbumps and that there deep touching lyrics, and if they were they still would be fast.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Holy Crap!!! It's on PJ Radio now....that is totally bad ass dude! Very cool
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all