Options

so i've got the vinyl......but how am i going to listen to it?

edited January 2008 in The Porch
i'm only 20 so I know next to nothing about record players. could someone explain what sort of player/equipment I am going to need to enjoy this wonderful collectors item, assuming i open it that is....
PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    you have purchased a "record" you need a "record player"
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Costco and other dealers have usb turntables that you can play albums on and convert to mp3s if you don't have a stereo with a turntable- I don't know how the sound is, as I don't have one- but I am thinking about it- as I have lots of albums that I would like to play.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    wilmack88 wrote:
    i'm only 20 so I know next to nothing about record players. could someone explain what sort of player/equipment I am going to need to enjoy this wonderful collectors item, assuming i open it that is....
    It's called a turntable. Usually has a 10-12 inch platter where you place the record, a tone arm which extends out over the record, a cartridge with a stylus attached to it which is placed on the record (in order to 'read' the grooves), and a motor to turn the platter. You can pick one up at audiophile stores. It gets plugged into an amplifier where it says 'phono.'
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    oh thanks....guess it was a stupid question. i thought there were different kinds of record players. thanks though
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    Costco and other dealers have usb

bingo.
    i cringe at the thought of a digital record player, lol ... but for the younguns out there, i think this is probably the way to go.

If you don't want to blow $200+ on a good direct drive, go get one of the several $100 usb out tables ... plug it in to your computer and have some good speakers ... also, blow the extra $50+ to get a GOOD STYLUS (needle) ... you WONT be sorry!

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    you have purchased a "record" you need a "record player"

what about these "cassette" thingys i've heard of? will they work on a record player too?
  • Options
    wilmack88 wrote:

Being 20 is no excuse! I'm 20 and I not only have a record player, but I also know how to operate it! :p
    Hey hey it's okay...
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Costco and other dealers have usb turntables that you can play albums on and convert to mp3s if you don't have a stereo with a turntable- I don't know how the sound is, as I don't have one- but I am thinking about it- as I have lots of albums that I would like to play.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/

I've always been dubious about those USB turntables. Converting vinyl to mp3 seems a bit nonsensical to me.

Back to the topic though. You can get very good record players for a decent price nowadays.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    wilmack88 wrote:

Go to your dentist, have a smooth-tipped diamond inserted in between your two front teeth, spin the record really fast on the tip of a ball point pen (put tip of pen where the little whole is) and place your diamond (the one between your teeth) on the vinyl record; you will hear the music in your ear canals. In stereo, even.

• Options
    When you get the record, stick a sharpened pencil into the whole in it's center, and place it to one side. Then grab a pin (not a pen), some tape, and a sheet of paper (any color will do). Roll the paper into the shape of a cone and tape it in place. Then tape the pin (not pen) to the small end of the cone. Take the record with the pencil stuck in it and spin it like a top. Then take the cone contraption and place the pin end into the grooves on the record. if you hold the paper you'll hear the music. ;)
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Go to your dentist, have a smooth-tipped diamond inserted in between your two front teeth, spin the record really fast on the tip of a ball point pen (put tip of pen where the little whole is) and place your diamond (the one between your teeth) on the vinyl record; you will hear the music in your ear canals. In stereo, even.

SHIZAM!
  • Options
    wilmack88 wrote:
    oh thanks....guess it was a stupid question. i thought there were different kinds of record players. thanks though
    Not a stupid question at all. For a generation who hasn't grown up with them it's a very good question. Without proper guidance one could wind up paying thru the nose for a turntable, or worse, buy something that will ruin your vinyl collection.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Tombourine wrote:
    Being 20 is no excuse! I'm 20 and I not only have a record player, but I also know how to operate it! :p
    I'm not goinna ask you to elaborate. ;)
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    if you don't have a "phono" in your amp, make sure you buy a turntable with a pre-amp. Or buy a turntable AND a pre-amp.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I've always been dubious about those USB turntables. Converting vinyl to mp3 seems a bit nonsensical to me.

Well it's one thing to be able to listen to an Lp at home with your Harmon Kardon turntable, your Yamaha receiver & your tower speakers- but some of us spend more time in the car or out and about and are listening to music on our ipod.

Some of my favorite Lps haven't come out on CD & I would still like to be able to listen to them on my ipod & don't have an elaborate configuration in order to do so.

( not to mention that those Who concerts in the 70s pretty much blasted out my ears and the digital version sounds fine to me now)

(I will admit though that when I had to replace my ipod when it was stolen- after testing the "classic" models- I hunted for a 5th gen video instead because I think the sound is better)

This dealer has lots of info although they can be the pricey end for what they are selling.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-D1xheKpL93P/App/Product/Category.aspx?c=4

I also like these guys-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/5794/Players_Systems_Turntables.html
    I buy my camera gear from them-
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

I think he just wants a damn table,
    not a audiophiles or a freaking Technics SL-1210MK2!

:eek:

I hear yah,
    but he can get a decent table for $100 ... sure it won't be "the shit", he will need a new needle\stylus, and if he jumps on his floor it will skip ... so careful where you mount it, and walk soft ...

but he doesn't need to blow $500!
    lol

here ... he could get an old technics automatic for $50 off of ebay.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Here's a bunch of turntables at varying prices.
    All of which are good starter tables.
    Just remember the cartridge costs extra.
    Plus, a belt driven table is better than a direct drive. Just a tad of a hassle when changing speeds.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    I think he just wants a damn table,
    not a audiophiles or a freaking Technics SL-1210MK2!

:eek:

I hear yah,
    but he can get a decent table for $100 ... sure it won't be "the shit", he will need a new needle\stylus, and if he jumps on his floor it will skip ... so careful where you mount it, and walk soft ...

but he doesn't need to blow $500!
    lol

here ... he could get an old technics automatic for $50 off of ebay.

Just trying to help. He knows his budget, so he can poke around for other options, if those are out of his budget.

But c' mon, the kid should start off on something decent. Not some $39.99 piece of crap that skips across the vinyl when the wind blows or when the someone sneezes:D
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    NMyTree wrote:
    Just trying to help. He knows his budget, so he can poke around for other options, if those are out of his budget.

But c' mon, the kid should start off on something decent. Not some $39.99 piece of crap that skips across the vinyl when the wind blows or when the someone sneezes:D
    I agree.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Just remember the cartridge costs extra.
    Plus, a belt driven table is better than a direct drive. Just a tad of a hassle when changing speeds.

Well, he can find some turntables that come complete with cartridge/stylus and a place like Acoustic Sounds will install it and set up the turnatble for him, for free; prior to shipping.

As for the belt/ direct drive issue. It all depends.

Traditionally belt driven tables are better.

But you have to take into consideration he has no knowledge of tables, has no clue how to work them or set them up.

So a direct drive would be better for this guy, as a starting point. They're easier to operate, set up and change speeds.

Plus, what kind of quality recordings will he be listening to?

Direct drives are said to smear the sound a wee-bit, but it's also widley known that the "smearing" also helps to smooth out not-so-high quality recordings and make them easier on the ear.

If he's going for high quality, detailed recordings and has experience with turtables; then, belt drive would be the best options for him.

But in his case, I would suggest Direct Drive.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Yielded wrote:

Back to the topic though. You can get very good record players for a decent price nowadays.

Converting vinyl to mp3 doesn't make much sense because you loose the superior sound quality you get from vinyl.

If you're really serious about getting some high quality sound I suggest Technics or Numark turntables. Both are high quality brands and most have pitch control to change the speed of the record (I often play my Pearl Jam records at a slightly higher speed).

In addition to the turntable you will need a receiver to play it through. You could get a cheap all-in-one stereo, but it won't sound as good as with higher quality components.

You will also have to a needle (stylus). I'm unsure of the availability of replacement needles for newer all-in-one setups. You'll have a hard time finding needles for most old turntables, and having a good needle is VERY important because you don't want to damage your records.

My setup consists of two Technics 1200MK2's hooked up through a mixer so I can play music seamlessly from one record to another. I also play around with the sound with the equalizers on the mixer and sometimes mix music together. The mixer is plugged into the receiver, which is hooked up to two 3-way speakers.

I ordered my stuff from this store long ago, here's a link to turntables on the site:

http://www.pssl.com/DJ-Turntables/?pg=100
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    NMyTree wrote:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Technics-SL1210MK2-Turntable?sku=807058

quote]
    This is the table I have. Awesome player, got it for $100 on ebay. Spent $50 on a solid stylus and sounds great with my Polk Towers.

I wouldnt say the MK2 is starter table either.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Tombourine wrote:

exactly! statements like that (I'm only 20 so..) will ruin our reputation! :eek: ;) just kidding of course.

I wish I had a record player though (yes, I know how to use one).. not that I've got many records. but I'd have no place to put it. :o
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Technics-SL1210MK2-Turntable?sku=807058

quote]
    This is the table I have. Awesome player, got it for $100 on ebay. Spent $50 on a solid stylus and sounds great with my Polk Towers.

I wouldnt say the MK2 is starter table either.

It is compared to the $1,500.00-10,000.00 dollar tables:)

I'm not belittling that MK2, I think it's a great table that punches way above it's price point. As good or better than a lot of tables in the $500-$800 price range.

I just think that if he's going to get into vinyl and buy a table, he should start off with a reasonably priced, quality table; which will allow him to actually enjoy the good qualities and benefits of vinyl.

If he buys a piece of crap he'll be wondering what all the hype is about vinyl.

The piece of crap won't do justice to the vinyl records and get the best out the vinyl.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    NMyTree wrote:

I just think that if he's going to into vinyl and buy a table, he should start off with a reasonably priced, quality table; which will allow him to actually enjoy the good qualities and benefits of vinyl.

The piece of crap won't do justice to the vinyl records and get the best of of them.

QFT

If you get a cheapo turntable you won't get good quality sound. Although there are deals to be found as Dr. Delight found.

Get a high quality turntable and it will give you years of great sound. It will be worth it now and in the long run.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    NMyTree wrote:

It is compared to the $1,500.00-10,000.00 dollar tables:)

I'm not belittling that MK2, I think it's a great table that punches way above it's price point. As good or better than a lot of tables in the $500-$800 price range.

I just think that if he's going to get into vinyl and buy a table, he should start off with a reasonably priced, quality table; which will allow him to actually enjoy the good qualities and benefits of vinyl.

The piece of crap won't do justice to the vinyl records and get the best out the vinyl.
    Of course, I agree.

My first player was a low end Technics model I bought at a flea market for $5. The thing actually lasted a long time.
    I finally had to "upgrade" though. I love the MK2.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Of course, I agree.

My first player was a low end Technics model I bought at a flea market for $5. The thing actually lasted a long time.
    I finally had to "upgrade" though. I love the MK2.

Dr. Delight,

The great thing about the MK2 is that in it's stock form, it is a woderful turntable. But if you want to improve on it even more, you can call KAB and talk to them about the modifications they can do; that will elevate the MK2's performance to a new level. I know a few guys who have had the improvements/modifications and the results are amazing!! It brings the MK2 to a level that it competes hard with $2,000/2,500 dollar tables. Maybe some tables that are even more expensive than that. KAB does a killer, high-quality job with their mods. It's a less expensive way of upgrading your turntable (MK2) without spending $2,000. And you can pick and choose what mods you want. Get several at one time, or only one or two at a time, over the period of a year...two years...what ever you want.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Do you really think $300+ is the price range for a "starter table"?

Yes, I do.

I believe you get what you pay for. You pay peanuts, you get crap.

Crap that you won't even really enjoy.

Because crap can't convey the beauty and benefits of a good vinyl record.

Crap could only convey the cheap and crappy parts used to make crap.

Crap could only convey the crappy design specifically conjured up.....to make crap.