msgII re-release/cancellation line

JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
edited May 2010 in The Porch
does anyone know how many tickets ended up being released virtually at pj start time? the line was long and im wondering how many people actually got tickets. there must have been at least 100 people standing there for no less than 3 hours. i seen the ticket window open up around 830 or so. i talked to a bunch of people in the line and stood in it myself until i gave up hope and got scalped just before the start. any info is appreciated.

special thanks to the msg security staff for their advice on which "gentlemen" to deal with out front for real tickets and BrianS for his honesty.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• is that what the long ass line in front of the bookstore was for? I was wondering
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    JC29856 wrote:
    does anyone know how many tickets ended up being released virtually at pj start time? the line was long and im wondering how many people actually got tickets. there must have been at least 100 people standing there for no less than 3 hours. i seen the ticket window open up around 830 or so. i talked to a bunch of people in the line and stood in it myself until i gave up hope and got scalped just before the start. any info is appreciated.

special thanks to the msg security staff for their advice on which "gentlemen" to deal with out front for real tickets and BrianS for his honesty.
    how much did you have to pay to get tickets from the gentleman. i bet it was probably one of the many ticket window workers at msg scalping tickets.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    Maybe 75 tickets. I stood for 4.5hrs and got shutout by about 15 people
  • NJChrisNJChris Posts: 47
    LivingBubba - how deep in line where you?

Anyone know where the tickets rec'd in this line were for, what section?
    Its the same every day and the wave won't break
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

i paid $400 to seller and $25 to the security guy- what did i get for my money? 2 tickets sec 106, assurance that the tickets were real and the seller was legit, and i in effect bought insurance that i would get in the show if i didnt get re-released tickets because at 630 the security guy got the seller to agree to hold the tickets for me until 830 or at least until i knew i wasnt getting tickets from the box office.

please explain what you mean by msg ticket workers scalping because from what i seen on thur and fri its impossible. the ticket i bought on thurs from the box office was $79 no fees, the tickets i bought on fri had the fees so i doubt they came from the box office window day of.

alot of work, standing around for 4.5hrs and too much money but it was worth it and i would do it again thx to BrianS.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    we thought it was the line to get into the venue but was told it was the line to get ticktets.. it was huge amazing.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Maybe 75 tickets. I stood for 4.5hrs and got shutout by about 15 people

u think 75 people/pairs sold or 75 total tickets meaning about 40 buyers? i was 60th in line meaning they needed to have at least 120 tickets available
    NJChris wrote:
    LivingBubba - how deep in line where you?

Anyone know where the tickets rec'd in this line were for, what section?

i asked before i walked in and i seen sections 57 and 77, 2 tickets per person. they handed out plastic cards that were numbered to guard against people trying to cut the line. if u didnt have a card u didnt buy tickets. some old guy that was an alleged ticket broker tried to cut the line but he got tossed. if you were in line u know who im talking about, older tall guy slicked hair dressed in funky pants and shirt walking up and down the line looking to buy tickets.
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    JC29856 wrote:

i paid $400 to seller and $25 to the security guy- what did i get for my money? 2 tickets sec 106, assurance that the tickets were real and the seller was legit, and i in effect bought insurance that i would get in the show if i didnt get re-released tickets because at 630 the security guy got the seller to agree to hold the tickets for me until 830 or at least until i knew i wasnt getting tickets from the box office.

Really?
    So, you bought from a "security approved" scalper and he then agreed to hold the tickets for you until 8.30 in the event that you didn't get day of box office tix?
    I've never heard of this before.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    I started getting in line at 6 am and they kicked me and a few others out over and over again for loitering.
    I can back every half hour and started an official line at 3ish.
    I was about 20th in line after all the scalpers schemed their way to the front. I was lucky enough to get tix (sec 103). They kept telling us they had about 50 total tix but I think it ended up being slightly more.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    JC29856 wrote:

i paid $400 to seller and $25 to the security guy- what did i get for my money? .

Security working with scalpers and accepting the bribes. How nice...... :roll:
    redrock wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

i paid $400 to seller and $25 to the security guy- what did i get for my money? .

i didnt think the young-ins would understand...

the guy helped me out so i tipped him... working with scalpers? he worked to help me because i asked!
    would you consider a tip to hotel staff (valet guy or bellmen) a bribe if they helped you find something??
    JC29856 wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

the guy helped me out so i tipped him... working with scalpers? he worked to help me because i asked!
    would you consider a tip to hotel staff (valet guy or bellmen) a bribe if they helped you find something??

I'm flattered that you think I may be a 'young'un'!

However you call it, it's working with the scalpers and his 'role' is not comparable to hotel staff. He is a security guy. I would have thought they would be keeping scalpers away.. but obviously, there is money in it for them as well as I'm sure he would be getting a cut from the scalper. Also, I would not have thought that this is sanctioned by the venue. My thoughts.

But in the end you wanted tickets and you were happy to part with $425, that's your choice. We all say we hate the scalpers, but we feed them constantly.
    redrock

i dont want to back and forth with you but i wasnt referring to just you and i wasnt referring to age necessarily.

i posted this to look for info and see if the people i stood with for 4.5 hours got in. please dont detract!

you seem to be living in a dream world like the msg security in nyc is supposed to police the scalpers and all the "unsanctioned" msg activity be put to an immediate end, like underage drinking or smoking weed in the venue, yea ok, hello. furthermore as i said i did stand in line for 4.5 hours for tickets before i resorted to overpaying to what i would consider an honest (business)man. (i also replied to a post by a fellow member/poster on thursday and i ended up getting jerked around)

THE SECURITY GUY DIDNT WORK WITH SCALPERS, HE WORKED FOR ME BECAUSE I ASKED HIM. HE DIDNT SOLICIT ME, I ASKED HIM IF THERE WERE ANY GUYS OUT FRONT THAT WERE LEGIT/TRUSTWORHTY. HE HELPED ME SET-UP THE DEAL. IF HE GOT A CUT GREAT, IM GLAD, I HOPE HE SPENT IT WISELY.
    Sorry I 'detracted' -you mentioned the scalpers. As I said... you got tickets and you were happy to spend the money on them, your choice, your 'business' deal. End of story.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    JC29856 wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

You don't think I'd understand oh really. Why do you think those scalpers weaseled their way into being infront of people on the willcall line and got good seats, its cause they work for the box office. I could tell you tons of stories of me seeing the same damn box off worker working the day of ticket line and then be right outside msg scalping tickets

But yea I wouldn't understand cause I'm a younging :roll:

Fyi- had you waited till 8;45 you coulda those tickets for $200 or cheaper but again I'm a younging so I wouldn't understand.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

At 9:30-9:45 tickets were still going for around $250 out fron of MSG - at that point I decided it was not going to happen for me. I probably made a bad decision in standing in line all that time, but you live and learn .... by the time the cancellation line was cleared out the scalpers supply was very low, raising prices again.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    SJD3232 wrote:
    I was about 20th in line after all the scalpers schemed their way to the front. I was lucky enough to get tix (sec 103). They kept telling us they had about 50 total tix but I think it ended up being slightly more.

I am seriously curious - if others were there first, how do the scalpers get up to the front? I'm glad you got a ticket - that line was so long.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    you still bought from a scalper for over 4 times cost price! that is the issue!!
    real fans miss out on tickets coz scalpers get them, and then the scalper makes all the profit, in their pocket, not going to where it is deserved.
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
    metsfan.... i didnt have to answer your original question and probably shouldnt have but since you were nice enough to sell me a ticket on thursday i was nice enough to answer your question. dont take offense so easily and dont make stuff up. as i said the tix i bought werent purchased from box office since they had the fees and charges. i paid alittle more than double than what TM charges. i really didnt think this thread would start so much shizz. again thxs for selling me the ticket on thursday.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Sorry, i misread, it was 2 tickets, but still, you bought from a scalper, for double face value!
    and to boot you payed security to let the deal go ahead.

Seems a bit strange to me to come on here and boast about buying from a scalper when 2 months ago you posted this
    JC29856 wrote:
    all the scumbag scalpers went straight to fri thats why it sold out quicker then msg I

and then you payed your money to one :lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
    Sorry, i misread, it was 2 tickets, but still, you bought from a scalper, for double face value!
    and to boot you payed security to let the deal go ahead.

Seems a bit strange to me to come on here and boast about buying from a scalper when 2 months ago you posted this
    JC29856 wrote:
    all the scumbag scalpers went straight to fri thats why it sold out quicker then msg I

and then you payed your money to one :lol:

bump
    for the purist, the idealist and self righteous

as a last resort after waiting on line for 4.5hrs i stooped so low as the seek help from a sordid security stooge for advice on which scum scalper i should do business with if needed. how dare i! then on top of something so despicable i have the gall the boast about my indecent indiscretions.

"...until i gave up hope and got scalped just before the start."

it isnt the blatant collusion between artists, organizations, and venues with the likes of ticketmaster, ticketsnow and stubhub, to name a few, and the poor unemployed slob prawled across the nation that has created, fed and super-fueled the secondary ticket marketplace which exists without boundaries, where tickets are easily and unfairly accessed, purchased and put up for sale in the matter of seconds, giving customers the ability to buy tickets just minutes before show time. it isnt the master-mimd of paypal or easily transferable electronic tickets that has spoiled the system. IT IS I AND THOSE LIKE ME!! i am the greedy goblin that has created this malignant monster that has ruined it for "real fans", it is i and those like me and the "typical" scumbag scalper you see without fail, hustling tickets outside of venues even thou most of the tickets have been bought and resold and most of the money has already been made, that has destroyed what was so genuine in sports and entertainment.

purist, idealist and self righteous remember:
    if you ever feel the urge to use ticketmaster, stubhub or paypal, if you ever feel the urge to root and support your favorite baseball team in your home ballpark, or if you ever feel the urge to see your favorite band in a universally known venue, please remember that you are contributing to the decay mentioned above. know that ticketmaster, ticketsnow and stubhub have rigged the system against you, the real fan, know that mlb and your favorite team, your favorite ballpark, have named the game and have forced you to play even if you cant afford to pay, know that your band, your favorite band and the venue which they perform are in cahoots to extort all they can from your hollow pockets.
    i asked that you not be like me, i ask that you remain pure and reject all that has come to be, stay home, refuse the play the game, refuse to contribute to the wreckage. TY
  • WM31482WM31482 Posts: 563
    SJD3232 wrote:
    I started getting in line at 6 am and they kicked me and a few others out over and over again for loitering.
    I can back every half hour and started an official line at 3ish.

what row in 103?? must have been right by me
    i did not wait on that line though - were you really on it since 6am??
    glad you got in...
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    Reality is everything in NYC is centered around money, just b/c PJ and the 10c are not about scalping and try and do the right thing you will not change the fact that in NYC EVERYONE has their hand out bellman security, scalpers, bums. EVERYONE.

It sucks but that is the way it is and most likely always will be in NYC. If you are looking to be the change you want to see I the world NYC is not the place to wage that battle....fwiw

I caved and bought a Stubhub seat for some good $ friday am only to find a guy sitting next to me at "local" with an extra 10c... Which i helped another pj fan buy for face KARMA for next time.. Live and learn.

I did not want to be on the outside looking in :shock: :o
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i will never understand why people pay more then face value for scalped tickets or wait 4 hours in line to try for last minute releases... i never have and never will pay more than face... these are the best fans in the world and tend to take care of each other... i have hooked up quite a few for face or less myself...

as a matter of fact i scored a ticket in section 79 for face on the train up... thanks again Ken!

there are 15000 tickets to any given show... surely you can find one for face folks.. work smarter not harder :mrgreen:
    my2hands wrote:
    i will never understand why people pay more then face value for scalped tickets or wait 4 hours in line to try for last minute releases... i never have and never will pay more than face... these are the best fans in the world and tend to take care of each other... i have hooked up quite a few for face or less myself...

as a matter of fact i scored a ticket in section 79 for face on the train up... thanks again Ken!

there are 15000 tickets to any given show... surely you can find one for face folks.. work smarter not harder :mrgreen:

i agree with most of what u say but:
    -yes most pj fans tend to take care of each other, usually it works out. i happened to deal with someone that didnt give a fu(k. as i said i got jerked around by a board member, not sure a 10c member but a board member
    -theres a huge difference between 1 ticket and 2 together. the problem wasnt finding 1, i agree you should be able to find 1 single all day and night, i think most that waited in line needed 2 tickets together, as did i
    -people waited in line bec they thought if they did get seats they would be cheap $79 and good
    -not everyone is comfortable winging it, or showing up without a ticket hoping to run into someone with an extra. i told my buddies that i had 3 tickets for msg I and i had none, zero, i found 3 singles for us before the show. i know they couldnt or wouldnt do that.

ive been to a couple of shows where tickets were tough to come by, this ranked as one of the toughest that i can remember along with the anniversary las vegas show, meadowlands show (maybe 2004), vh1 storytellers and the borgata nj shows. ive never been to seattle so i wouldnt know how it is over there.
    Vic in Chicago was more difficult, but I actually made it into that one with some trading....
  • Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    Vic in Chicago was more difficult, but I actually made it into that one with some trading....

what could you have possibly traded to get into that show?!?! :shock: :? :?:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    it was probably a bat to the head for two tickets